Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:10:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Same old story, different season.  (Read 3232 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Same old story, different season.
« on August 06, 2011, 04:19:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Two players stretchered off during the game and both Coppinger and Mason picked up slight knocks. Bulking up seems to have worked. :unsure:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Same old story, different season.
« Reply #1 on August 06, 2011, 04:48:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Devastated! It could only happen to us.

Luck didn't even last one game. All our nightmares played out in that second half. The Sharp injury just knocked the stuffing out of us. I thought we looked reasonably comfortable and were just beginning to get back into the game after a dodgy start to the second half.

As no doubt SOD will say we kept our discipline but that strike by Buckley was a cruel blow. Woods had no chance with that.

I'm sure we all feared the worst but with time ticking down another sickening blow with Hayter's injury. It's like someone or something with a devious cruel heart picked off our best striker and then took the second one for good measure.

When the board went up showing 7 mins and the clock ticked on past 7 mins I couldn't understand why the ref didn't blow. After a further minute you just knew the ref wasn't going to call a halt to the game and the inevitable was going to happen.

What have we done to deserve this?

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 06, 2011, 05:01:26 pm by Wild Rover »
Quite simply the 7 min would have been added at 90 if ball in play. It wasnt because of Hayter injury, which resulted in play resuming 94 min. thats when added time started.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 06, 2011, 05:08:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Fair do's. Still sickening.

At best, it looks like both Sharp and Hayter have ligament injuries, so we're not going to see them for at least 8 weeks. Looks like Brown and Barnes are going to have to shoulder the burden for the foreseeable.

Perhaps it was bad karma to let Vine go.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 06, 2011, 05:09:42 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Excuses excuses...but its same old same old Im afraid...a position of strength and we throw it away...do we ever learn?

Its becoming clear that we need atleast a 2 goal lead with ten to go to even consider scraping a draw.

Al Riggall

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 06, 2011, 05:23:49 pm by Al Riggall »
How many times have the 7 outfield players that started and finished the game completed 90 mins in pre-season?

Secondly, surely Brown was a better option to keep hold the ball upfront rather than Hird to sit infront of the back 4 and invite pressure to keep coming?

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 06, 2011, 05:35:56 pm by Drover »
Quote from: \"DonnyBazR0ver\" post=172983
Devastated! It could only happen to us.

Luck didn't even last one game. All our nightmares played out in that second half. The Sharp injury just knocked the stuffing out of us. I thought we looked reasonably comfortable and were just beginning to get back into the game after a dodgy start to the second half.

As no doubt SOD will say we kept our discipline but that strike by Buckley was a cruel blow. Woods had no chance with that.

I'm sure we all feared the worst but with time ticking down another sickening blow with Hayter's injury. It's like someone or something with a devious cruel heart picked off our best striker and then took the second one for good measure.

When the board went up showing 7 mins and the clock ticked on past 7 mins I couldn't understand why the ref didn't blow. After a further minute you just knew the ref wasn't going to call a halt to the game and the inevitable was going to happen.

What have we done to deserve this?

As I've posted in the lucky pint....

All SOD/THE Management have done is back a physio with a proven career track record of a long horrendous injury list.Throw into that playing all his squad for only 45mins all pre-season and hey presto!He's ends up with players regularly breaking down with injuries quickly after recovering and a great squad playing great in first halves and usually taking the lead only to be losing points in the second half/last 10mins of matches dues to lack of fitness,concentration and player numbers for 90mins.Is it really that much of a surprise when it just keeps happening and happening and happening? :headbang: But don't worry,JR has sorted out that awful green away strip and those crap red shorts to black.:dry:

Thanks
yours frustrated Drover

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 06, 2011, 05:40:31 pm by albie »
Got to agree that Brown would have been better up top, to give us an out and hold the ball better further up the park.

Bennett never really got involved, and was too far away from Barnes to link up. Not sure what Hird was supposed to be doing when he came on.

Brighton were no great shakes, but we surrendered the initiative and allowed them to build momentum. Second half we got few strikes on goal in, to much sideways and triangles, but no edge.

Free kick before the first looked nothing to me. We won a high ball that the Brighton player did not jump for, simple as.

Mussy needs to be told to run the defender more in attacking situations. Overall, too cautious in a game that could have been won.

Bad tackle on Sharp from my view. I thought Lua Lua was unlucky to be booked for diving too.

NorthNorfolkRover

« Reply #8 on August 06, 2011, 05:44:25 pm by NorthNorfolkRover »
When folk slag off the athmosphere at our games they should remember half the reason is we know we will let any lead slip through our fingers. Not a critiscism of the team rather we should be praised for our fore sight and not critiscised as fans

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 06, 2011, 10:43:10 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Just thinking, we've nearly got an injured XI.

Sharp Hayter

Woods Stock Keegan Wilson

Chambers Lockwood Martis O'Connor

Just need a keeper now.

Gibbo123

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 07, 2011, 07:41:20 am by Gibbo123 »
the game was simply never a 2-1 game. we were dealt 3 cruel blows, two injurys and the final goal. thought brown should have come on instead of barnes...not a lone striker!

Pit Town

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 07, 2011, 08:09:36 am by Pit Town »
completely agree, it should have been brown on instead of barnes. The poor lad looked lost up top

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 07, 2011, 08:58:26 am by monkeytennis »
Quote from: \"NorthNorfolkRover\" post=173015
When folk slag off the athmosphere at our games they should remember half the reason is we know we will let any lead slip through our fingers. Not a critiscism of the team rather we should be praised for our fore sight and not critiscised as fans[/quote

This. As soon as we're about 15 mins from the end my nerves start to get bad, Rovers just cannot seem to go at 100% for the full 90, and if we get anything over 3 mins of time added on I can hardly watch! :sick:

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 07, 2011, 09:05:37 am by benaldo »
If nothing else, it'll perhaps teach people to get their injured players off the pitch as soon as possible instead of all the on-pitch drama. Perhaps if Hayter had gone off the pitch within a minute Rovers would have got the draw?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 07, 2011, 10:45:45 am by idler »
Mqaybe the stretcher bearers should have been on motor bikes then. Neither Billy Sharp or James Hayter are the type to stay down when they can get up.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 07, 2011, 10:55:09 am by glosterred »
Cannot blame the Keepmoat pitch for either of these 2 injuries - may have to look for another excuse this time.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 07, 2011, 10:55:50 am by glosterred »
Quote from: \"DonnyOsmond\" post=173133
Just thinking, we've nearly got an injured XI.

Sharp Hayter

Woods Stock Keegan Wilson

Chambers Lockwood Martis O'Connor

Just need a keeper now.

Lets hope we do not find one anytime soon!

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 07, 2011, 06:52:52 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=172993
Excuses excuses...but its same old same old Im afraid...a position of strength and we throw it away...do we ever learn?

Its becoming clear that we need atleast a 2 goal lead with ten to go to even consider scraping a draw.

So having two players stetchered off, one after the last sub was used equates to throwing it away, and something we should learn from?  I suppose JR should push the boat out and buy SO'D a top of the range crystal ball too.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 07, 2011, 07:01:11 pm by RedJ »
Quote from: \"Wild Rover\" post=172989
Quite simply the 7 min would have been added at 90 if ball in play. It wasnt because of Hayter injury, which resulted in play resuming 94 min. thats when added time started.

No - he gave 6 minutes at first, then changed it just after Hayter was stretchered off! :saywhat:

Lewis Guys Dentist

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 07, 2011, 07:36:34 pm by Lewis Guys Dentist »
Mason looked to of had cramp. which isnt really that bad. Copps looked tiered.

ill be glued to Sharpys twitter tomorrow see what happens. Fingers crossed it isnt as bad as it looked. Same with Hayts. Keep the faith

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 07, 2011, 07:53:58 pm by Jonathan »
Quote from: \"Lewis Guys Dentist\" post=173425
Mason looked to of had cramp. which isnt really that bad. Copps looked tiered.

ill be glued to Sharpys twitter tomorrow see what happens. Fingers crossed it isnt as bad as it looked. Same with Hayts. Keep the faith

I thought it was just cramp for Mason too, he'd already gone down to stretch it out once shortly before going off.

Fitness didn't look to be an issue out there, heads just seemed to drop after the injury to Sharp and I agree that Brown (if fit) would have seemed a more logical choice to bring on as we failed to hold the ball upfront after Billy went off. Failing that, I would have expected Hayter (pre-injury) to play up top but for whatever reason that didn't happen.

The latest two injuries are a big worry although it has to be pointed out that these had nothing to do with the physio etc. I'm not defending him as his record is questionable at best, but Sharp's was a direct result of a dangerous and supposedly outlawed 'tackle,' and Hayter's was unfortunate after a typically brave attempt to get on the end of a ball across the box.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012