Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:44:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sammy Cheung  (Read 5402 times)

STATS

Sammy Cheung
« on May 28, 2016, 06:00:42 pm by STATS »
Hi lads and lasses:

I am trying to track down every Donny Rovers manager since 1992-93 for a website that will be launched in the summer and have a query over Sammy Cheung.

Who took the team on the opening day of the 1996-97 season against Carlisle when I believe Cheung had been sacked?

Was it Kerry Dixon?

Cheers

Stats.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Sammy Cheung
« Reply #1 on May 28, 2016, 11:49:26 pm by Chris Black come back »
Yes and No.

Sammy Chung was sacked two hours before kick off. To say Kerry Dixon "took charge" of that game was probably a bit optimistic but he was certainly appointed manager.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 28, 2016, 11:50:31 pm by Chris Black come back »
Sammy was an absolute gent and I think stuck around that day to watch the match. Probably my favourite Rovers manager. Nobody had bad word to say about him. Hope his is enjoying a happy retirement.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 29, 2016, 07:39:13 am by Jonathan »
Dixon was paraded around the pitch to the fans before the game. As above, I think it'd be an exaggeration to say he 'took charge,' though if I remember rightly Colin Cramb came on from the bench (he'd been injured) and Dixon suggested he'd made the decision to bring him on. Dixon was the manager when the game began, though Chung will have obviously prepared the team through the entirety of pre season up until the morning of the game.

That was a bizarre day. Sammy Chung was held in high regard by all the fans so it was difficult to take.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 07:56:47 am by Jonathan »

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 29, 2016, 08:41:14 am by MrFrost »
Sammy was an absolute gent and I think stuck around that day to watch the match. Probably my favourite Rovers manager. Nobody had bad word to say about him. Hope his is enjoying a happy retirement.

He's dead isn't he?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 29, 2016, 08:43:05 am by MrFrost »
Sorry no that's Danny Begara

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 29, 2016, 09:03:37 am by acko »
Sammy will be in his early 80s now,went to live in Barbados I think it was,dont know if he ever returned.A real gentleman he was.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 29, 2016, 09:09:40 am by Chris Black come back »
Would be very interesting to hear him speak about his time at Rovers. Folk forget he was longest serving manager under Richardson (two full seasons) and would be very interesting to understand how he found working with him. Also about building up that amazing 94/95 team. Obviously also his departure as well.

Maybe a job for Popular Stand?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 29, 2016, 09:10:14 am by wilts rover »
Sammy lives - or did until very recently - in Minehead. He coached at Minehead Town for some years, whilst also doing some scouting for Yeovil and both Bristol clubs.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 29, 2016, 09:23:33 am by Jonathan »
He was the architect of fan engagement. Used to love those question and answer sessions crammed into the Park Hotel. Always had time for the fans. Back at that time I used to go down and watch them train at Rockware when I could.

I echo the sentiment above, would be absolutely fascinating to hear him speak of his time at Rovers. Always behaved with great dignity and class in what must have been an incredibly testing time being undermined by Richardson. That said, would be interesting to hear which of them was truly behind the building of that brilliant 1994/95 team. I suspect a bit of both. Sammy obviously moulded the team and got them playing, but there was always a suggestion that Richardson picked the players. Some very good ones, too.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 29, 2016, 09:40:48 am by The Red Baron »
Hi lads and lasses:

I am trying to track down every Donny Rovers manager since 1992-93 for a website that will be launched in the summer and have a query over Sammy Cheung.

Who took the team on the opening day of the 1996-97 season against Carlisle when I believe Cheung had been sacked?

Was it Kerry Dixon?

Cheers

Stats.

You'll have fun when you get to 1997-98. Who was the manager? Uncle Ken? Weasel? Danny Buggerer?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 29, 2016, 09:53:06 am by The Red Baron »
Being serious for a mo, I've got stats on every manager going back to 1923. Drop me a PM with your email address and I will send to you.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 29, 2016, 09:55:41 am by Filo »
He was the architect of fan engagement. Used to love those question and answer sessions crammed into the Park Hotel. Always had time for the fans. Back at that time I used to go down and watch them train at Rockware when I could.

I echo the sentiment above, would be absolutely fascinating to hear him speak of his time at Rovers. Always behaved with great dignity and class in what must have been an incredibly testing time being undermined by Richardson. That said, would be interesting to hear which of them was truly behind the building of that brilliant 1994/95 team. I suspect a bit of both. Sammy obviously moulded the team and got them playing, but there was always a suggestion that Richardson picked the players. Some very good ones, too.

It was Pilks where they trained, opposite the old Malt Kilns

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 29, 2016, 10:05:53 am by Jonathan »

That's the one. Kirk Sandall way. Got the name mixed up with Wales ;)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 29, 2016, 10:19:10 am by Filo »

That's the one. Kirk Sandall way. Got the name mixed up with Wales ;)

Easy done 😝

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 31, 2016, 04:16:05 pm by Al4475 »
Sammy got me to trial at Pilks for him after a conversation with him at one of those Park Hotel meetings when he was really interested to find that I was a regular starter in my uni's first team!
A very classy man!

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 31, 2016, 07:03:10 pm by DRNaith »
He was a great guy, he took the old superglue - on - the - phone trick with such a great attitude.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 31, 2016, 07:55:13 pm by Jonathan »
I always think it'd be a nice thing if someone like Sammy Chung could be directed to a topic like this, so he could have a read through some of the admiration and the good memories. I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him. He was ruthlessly cut adrift from the club before the days where there could've been any outpouring on social media. You hope he knows he was liked and respected and not just forgotten.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 31, 2016, 09:13:23 pm by VivaRovers »
Maybe a job for Popular Stand?

Chung is one of a number of ex Rovers I'd love to interview for the fanzine, for the reasons mentioned up thread. Sadly work and other commitments mean I don't have the time to do a proper job of it.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 31, 2016, 09:24:49 pm by BobG »
'Other commitments' Glenn??? What can they be?!!

Lol

BobG

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 01, 2016, 02:10:11 pm by esdailles left foot »
Awwww you all love him that much you can't even spell his name right !

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 01, 2016, 02:22:36 pm by MachoMadness »
Awwww you all love him that much you can't even spell his name right !

After years of reading about Billy Sharpe you should know only cult heroes get their names spelt wrong on this forum.

You never see Richardson or Kitson misspelt do you?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 02, 2016, 02:39:16 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It seemed like he had been out of the game for years, when we got him. He still knew how to put a team together, never met him personally, but had a lot of admiration for his abilities when he managed us.
 If he hadn't had an owner like that, it would have been a promotion team, what he put together. The chairman could have been a hero thoughout donny, instead he will always be hated!. Now why did they call him uncle ken?.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012