Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:28:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Same old transfer story  (Read 8116 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Same old transfer story
« on January 03, 2022, 11:37:44 pm by phil old leake »
GMc says there are no imminent signings coming this week and he may have to wait

Sounds to me like the same story as every other transfer window

If the club don’t act soon it could be too late

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Drover

• Forum Member
Re: Same old transfer story
« Reply #1 on January 03, 2022, 11:55:57 pm by Drover »
What I don't understand is,the claim of wanting quality not quantity,now correct if im wrong,but for me the quality tends to go first,waiting to end of the transfer window leaves us with the dregs other clubs not prepared to sign.This waiting till the end of the window to try and get good players on lower wages should'nt be priority,we should get 1 or 2 quality early on then see if we can add 1 or 2 on better deals at the end.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 04, 2022, 01:41:41 am by Sammy Chung was King »
They are waiting for players but don’t want to pay the current wage wanted for them. You don’t just rush in and pay the first price ,but you also have to weigh up the importance of that player to your survival and whether other clubs will come in for him.
Clubs know we need players that can make it awkward. That’s where a chairman who knows the football side well comes in. John Ryan would have been a big help in this.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 04, 2022, 01:55:42 am by Canadian Rover »
Or you could look at this way..

Portsmouth (example) don't want to pay Downing for the next 3 weeks for not doing anything for them...15k wasted. Get rid nice and early and save 7.5/10k

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 04, 2022, 02:07:43 am by Sammy Chung was King »

Portsmouth (example) don't want to pay Downing for the next 3 weeks for not doing anything for them...15k wasted. Get rid nice and early and save 7.5/10k

A lot of it will be playing hard ball over how much a percentage of the wage is paid. We are not set up crowd wise to pay massive wages. It depends how badly side’s want players out. The manager saying it could be the end of the month, is gamesmanship with the clubs ,whose players we are interested in.
The minimum we need is four players in, a striker, centre half, defensive midfield and either left back or someone who can control the midfield.

The manager needs all the help they can give him. For now he has to get more out of the players he has. First half of the last game he did. His substitution’s in the second half were poor ones in hindsight and the players once one went in the nerves kicked in.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 04, 2022, 06:41:15 am by BigH »
I think we have to be realistic. The January window is notorious for desperate clubs gambling on getting new players in and, more often than not, paying over the odds for the unwanted cast-offs of others.

Burton, widely held up as an example of a relegation escape act from last year, didn't sign anyone until mid-January. They then went on to sign 5 others before month end.

Let's be patient and make the judgment call at the beginning of next month.

karlos

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 04, 2022, 06:46:09 am by karlos »
Same old let’s. See what happens!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 04, 2022, 06:48:10 am by mushRTID »
If we can’t get the players we want and need, I’m leaning towards accepting our fate and building for next year rather than rushing in and desperately signing more Dodoo’s and Hiwula’s.

My health cannot take another season of watching more of them, having them two next year is going to be painful enough!

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 04, 2022, 12:06:12 pm by Drover »

and lose out on him to another club in the meantime!

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 04, 2022, 12:10:28 pm by jamesrover17 »
Unfortunately while ever we run with the free transfer policy we are always going to be back of the queue, clubs will be more interested in getting fee’s for players and by the time they get around to shipping out on free’s or paying players off it’s too late in the window… The early business in the windows are teams that go out and pay a fee or pre-arranged loans

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 04, 2022, 01:15:38 pm by Upton Rover »
Maybe we can wait till 1 hour b4 deadline day and grab a bargain…
Oh know that’s Rotherham not us

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 04, 2022, 01:32:53 pm by MachoMadness »
If we can’t get the players we want and need, I’m leaning towards accepting our fate and building for next year rather than rushing in and desperately signing more Dodoo’s and Hiwula’s.

My health cannot take another season of watching more of them, having them two next year is going to be painful enough!
I've been resigned to this too tbh. Instead of lumbering us with more dreck who maybe possibly come good if the wind blows the right way, sign players who can get us back up at the first time of asking instead.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 04, 2022, 03:01:18 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
You can’t just sign players for just staying up, it has to be with a view to the long term as well.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 04, 2022, 03:06:11 pm by Ldr »
You can’t just sign players for just staying up, it has to be with a view to the long term as well.

Always worked for Sam Allerdyce

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 04, 2022, 05:02:37 pm by Ronnie Dovers »

To be honest I think that's exactly what we need to do. Loans and short term contracts to the end of the season, with possible clauses if we do/don't stay up. I don't see any other way we could afford the quality we'd need to stay up.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 04, 2022, 05:39:24 pm by tyke1962 »

Ben Williams has gone to Cheltenham Town Sammy initially on loan till the end of the season but looking to be permanent if he impresses at the end of the season .

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 04, 2022, 11:27:22 pm by mrfrostsdad »
I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SM say in another thread we had already agreed to bring four players in? Two on loan and two permanent?
If they had already been agreed, the transfer window has been open for four full days. Is that not long enough for them to be here already?

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 05, 2022, 07:25:06 am by phil old leake »
Mrfrostsdad does make you wonder what the hold up is

Maybe it’s because the players and clubs have looked at us and the state we’re in and are maybe looking at other options

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 05, 2022, 07:48:17 am by DearneValleyRover »
I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SM say in another thread we had already agreed to bring four players in? Two on loan and two permanent?
If they had already been agreed, the transfer window has been open for four full days. Is that not long enough for them to be here already?

McSheffrey has stated that some of those players aren’t available until later in the window

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 05, 2022, 08:01:47 am by keith79 »
Its not like they have just found out our players are rubbish. People on here have known since August.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 05, 2022, 01:34:27 pm by since-1969 »
GMc says there are no imminent signings coming this week and he may have to wait

Sounds to me like the same story as every other transfer window

If the club don’t act soon it could be too late

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 05, 2022, 01:37:29 pm by Ldr »
The least funny Rovers supporter ever there

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 05, 2022, 02:47:18 pm by bpoolrover »

McSheffrey has stated that some of those players aren’t available until later in the window
it's a worry thou as later on other teams become desperate for players and end up paying more than we will, or the player ends up choosing somewhere else, same as will grigg situation

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 05, 2022, 02:49:56 pm by DearneValleyRover »

it's a worry thou as later on other teams become desperate for players and end up paying more than we will, or the player ends up choosing somewhere else, same as will grigg situation

Hence why McSheffrey has said the second option rather than the first might be what we have to go for

critch243

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 05, 2022, 03:59:38 pm by critch243 »
The least funny Rovers supporter ever there

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 05, 2022, 04:28:34 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Wish we'd learn from last window. Just get the deals done that can be done. You've got to look at say are the players we can get better than what we have and do we want to risk getting gazumped later when everyone gets desperate. Can't see our 1st choice been that much better and there's points to play for now that we will 100% not get without anyone new in.

Fair enough play the long game if we're offering 3 year deals but if it's till the end of the season just get it done

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 05, 2022, 04:35:27 pm by bpoolrover »

Hence why McSheffrey has said the second option rather than the first might be what we have to go for
you might be right we will find out in the next 2 days

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 05, 2022, 04:37:30 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

you might be right we will find out in the next 2 days

If your second option is so much worse than your 1st they shouldn't be on the list! Given where were at it'd be very irritating to wait to the death to do anything

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 05, 2022, 11:27:45 pm by phil old leake »
The longer this goes on and the worse position we find ourselves in the less likely any decent players available now will want to sign knowing we are going down

At least give us a fighting chance

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 06, 2022, 09:03:23 am by sha66y »
It’s a good job you lot know exactly what’s going on regarding January transfers because I’d be nonethewiser if not for your constant input !

Maybe lay off the “Football Manager” game and wait it out, see what’s about to happen before creating doubts and getting everyone all edgy!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012