Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:32:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sammy Chung  (Read 2916 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: Sammy Chung
« Reply #30 on August 30, 2022, 10:24:11 pm by Jonathan »
Lovely guy.

He was the first manager in my Rovers supporting life that gave me a sense of genuine hope for a short while. That 94/95 team was great for the short time it existed before it was disassembled. Beasley, Kirby, Hackett, Wilcox, Swailes, Lawrence, Brabin, Roche, Parish, Harper, Jones and Donaldson, Torfasson or Norbury although the latter couldn’t score for anything until that legendary Scunthorpe game. It was a great team with a bit of everything about it. He later brought in Colin Cramb who was probably the first iconic hero that my generation had.

I’ll always remember his spell in charge for the great times I had going around the country to support the team with my late father. And I’ll always remember my Dad asking him, at one of the Park Hotel meetings, why we always insisted on booting the ball straight out of play from the kick off! He invited us down to the training ground to teach the team a new kick off. We actually went down to watch them train at Pilks quite regularly. Always used to see Paul Gilligan down there with his camera.

Great times, great club, great man. RIP Sammy.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 10:29:05 pm by Jonathan »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 30, 2022, 10:30:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
Beasley left the close season that Sammy arrived. Keeper in 1994/95 was either Suckling (indifferent) or Dean P Williams (good but under-utilised).

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 30, 2022, 10:32:11 pm by Chris Black come back »
Also that season I couldn’t believe we got Andy Turner on loan. A few seasons before he had taken Premier League by storm and here he was turning out for us in bottom tier. Did very well for us in his short spell.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 10:36:38 pm by Chris Black come back »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 30, 2022, 10:33:41 pm by Jonathan »
Beasley left the close season that Sammy arrived. Keeper in 1994/95 was either Suckling (indifferent) or Dean P Williams (good but under-utilised).

Fair play I stand corrected on that, you’re right.

Much better than Dean A Williams wasn’t he!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 30, 2022, 10:36:02 pm by Chris Black come back »
In what was generally a fairly Heath Robinson set up at Rovers in those years, having Dean A and Dean P Williams play in same side, and Dean A being subbed at half time on his debut never to be seen again, was very odd. Didn’t think too much of it at the time but very weird we never saw the guy ever again. 

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 30, 2022, 10:36:38 pm by Jonathan »
Also that season I couldn’t believe we go Andy Turner on loan. A few seasons before he had taken Premier League by storm and here he was turning out for us in bottom tier. Did very well for us in his short spell.

Yeah remember him having a key role in the demolition of Exeter away from home.

I missed out James Meara from my list too. Seriously I remember watching what I think may have been his debut away at Colchester and thinking we had a real player there. Obviously I was wrong again!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 30, 2022, 10:37:29 pm by Jonathan »
In what was generally a fairly Heath Robinson set up at Rovers in those years, having Dean A and Dean P Williams play in same side, and Dean A being subbed at half time on his debut never to be seen again, was very odd. Didn’t think too much of it at the time but very weird we never saw the guy ever again. 

Have you ever thought of changing your name to Dean A Williams come back?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 30, 2022, 10:39:55 pm by Chris Black come back »
We acquired a lot of players that close season who looked on paper pretty good. Darren Finlay was Northern Ireland u21 cap when with us and Steve Gallen had been Ireland u21 cap just before joining us. Neither made much impact for us mind.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 30, 2022, 10:41:59 pm by Jonathan »
We acquired a lot of players that close season who looked on paper pretty good. Darren Finlay was Northern Ireland u21 cap when with us and Steve Gallen had been Ireland u21 cap just before joining us. Neither made much impact for us mind.

Also, seem to remember around that time we signed a player that managed to make even less impact….

Darren Roberts. Signed in the summer, disappeared before the season even started. Never wore the shirt. Did okay at Chesterfield I think. I hated them as a kid.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 30, 2022, 10:46:19 pm by Chris Black come back »
Fair amount of back and forth with Chesterfield in those years. Jamie Hewitt and David Moss spring to mind. Roberts was an odd one granted.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on August 31, 2022, 03:20:18 am by roversdude »
Roche was a character didn’t he get kneecapped back up in the North East

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 31, 2022, 07:37:49 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Rip Mr. Chung. He was around when I was filling my nappies but I've enjoyed reading the stories about him.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 31, 2022, 05:23:34 pm by BobG »
That 1994/1995 season had so much promise. We didn’t concede a goal until game SEVEN and were unbeaten in the first six as a result. We only lost twice from start of season until mid-December. Sadly it all fell apart at Christmas when Brabin got sent off at Walsall by some tosser for showing his stomach, and then Swailes and Lawrence got sold around same time. He did deliver some history though with a 5-0 demolition away at Scunny. For anyone who went to the Huddersfield FA Cup game at Belle Vue that was as good an atmosphere as I ever saw in there.

I was so outraged by that sending off CBCB that I actually wrote to the FA about it. I'm sure I don't need to tell of their response... But that sending off was an obscenity.

BobG

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 31, 2022, 05:40:35 pm by Colin C No.3 »
A lovely man fondly remembered by Rovers fans.

The way he received his dismissal was an absolute disgrace, but they all got their comeuppance in the end & Sammy’s Rovers live on to remember an iconic manager.

RIP Sammy.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 01, 2022, 08:46:30 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Just how far could that side have gone without the moron chairman’s interference? I suspect one league at the least, maybe two. The side could play and handle itself. He deserved much better, him going was the start of the downward spiral.

NigelJ

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on September 03, 2022, 10:43:37 am by NigelJ »
Can we get Blondie's 'Hanging On The Telephone' played prior to the match as a tribute?

Panda

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 03, 2022, 08:11:05 pm by Panda »
Must say a very well observed and loud minutes applause today, including the Stags fans too.

Armthorpe mickler

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 03, 2022, 08:23:37 pm by Armthorpe mickler »
Sammy was a good manager.Good to remember him today.Kerry Dixon was'nt as good.Remember the 6-0 at Chester.

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 03, 2022, 08:50:11 pm by Silkscarf »
We should all strive to be as fondly remembered as Sammy Chung is by seemingly everyone that was around at the time.

We salute you Sammy. Your ludicrous sacking marked the end of the pre-Richardson era.

It’s hard to get that daft telephone image out of my mind though!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 04, 2022, 09:21:14 am by ravenrover »
I thought I could hear a chant from the North about 30 - 40 seconds in so maybe not observed by them so well

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 04, 2022, 01:41:36 pm by drfchound »
A friend of mine who walked to the stadium from town told me that he had seen a mass brawl between the Mansfield fans.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 04, 2022, 01:50:24 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
A friend of mine who walked to the stadium from town told me that he had seen a mass brawl between the Mansfield fans.

Games rife with d**kheads at the moment, isn't it?

exeter gently

« Reply #52 on September 04, 2022, 02:14:45 pm by exeter gently »
RIP Sammy

TinyPortal © 2005-2012