Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:36:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rowan Vine  (Read 11778 times)

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
Re: Rowan Vine
« Reply #60 on August 04, 2011, 08:11:10 am by CusworthRovers »
If we have 4 strikers do we then shout for 5. We do not have a bottomless pit of money. We have Billy, Browny and Hayts. All 3 together will be responsible for a large part of our wage bill. I doubt/hope we do not get an obscene and rare event like the injury crisis last season. If so we then have Mason, Copps, maybe even Naylor plus the loan market, plus juniors for a short term fix (if it even come to these scenarios). We have arguably the best striker outside the Prem on our books. We have 2 further strikers who are proven and capable in the Championship. Do we keep going? Fine if we have the money, but we haven't and that's before you even get onto keeping the said players happy.

Arsenal only really go with Chamack, Robin and Nicolas
Liverpool will go with Luis, Andrew and Dirk
Man Utd will only go with Wayne, Hernandez and Dimitar....maybe Owen now and again

If you look around I don't see the norm to go with 4 quality strikers at any clubs bar the odd one or two.  

Vine has been here a long time for trial purposes, no doubt. However business is business. He isn't bigger than the club. The best interests of this club comes first and foremost before any individual. Nobody outside of the inner sanctum knows what's happened. Just like it's wrong for me to suggest/guess that had he been here for 2-3-4 weeks and we were wanting to sign him, but his agent/himself had been manufacturing a move elsewhere for a better contract and thus leaving us in the mire. Totally made this up by the way, but it's what happens in today's football environment. Whilst fans are suggesting we have been harsh, it could easily have been the other way round, and many a time Rovers have been victim to this.

As said and just like Micheal Corleone say's 'It's business'. I think Vito and Sonny also said that. Infact, for crying out loud even Tom Hagen said it, and he's not technically family.

Good luck to Vine and I trust he will be playing somewhere and earning a crust

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on August 04, 2011, 08:35:03 am by DonnyRTID »
Amen, welcome back cussy.:thumbsup:

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 04, 2011, 08:43:39 am by keyser_soze »
It's a shame for the lad if he was keen on coming here, but I think the gnashing of teeth is a bit over the top.

I'm a follower of Twitter, and the fact that he tweets and replies to the fans is not reason enough for him to receive a contract, even if it feels like we've bought in to him a bit. This goes on every season, its just now we've got the inside info from the horses mouth so to speak.

He hasn't been that hard done to, he's been muttering for ages on there that he had no idea what was going on, so its not as if he's been promised a deal that has suddenly been withdrawn. He's got a months pre-season out of us, and so far as I know he is still under contract at QPR so its not as if he'll be signing on if he doesn't get a deal from us.

If we're thinking positives, I'm glad the setup at DRFC has given a good enough impression on a player that he was keen on staying.

Perks

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on August 04, 2011, 08:56:32 am by Perks »
SOD n the board will do what they see fit and in the best interests of the club, so from time to time they will need to be ruthless and deal with players how we the fans wouldn't like them to but thats football. I'm sure they have very good reasons for this so lets stand by there decisions.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 04, 2011, 09:03:02 am by GazLaz »
I think there may be a loan deal in the offing further down the line, I don't think the deal I'd totally dead.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on August 04, 2011, 08:53:04 pm by ravenrover »
Quote from: \"CusworthRovers\" post=172082
If we have 4 strikers do we then shout for 5. We do not have a bottomless pit of money. We have Billy, Browny and Hayts. All 3 together will be responsible for a large part of our wage bill. I doubt/hope we do not get an obscene and rare event like the injury crisis last season. If so we then have Mason, Copps, maybe even Naylor plus the loan market, plus juniors for a short term fix (if it even come to these scenarios). We have arguably the best striker outside the Prem on our books. We have 2 further strikers who are proven and capable in the Championship. Do we keep going? Fine if we have the money, but we haven't and that's before you even get onto keeping the said players happy.

Man Utd will only go with Wayne, Hernandez and Dimitar....maybe Owen now and again

If you look around I don't see the norm to go with 4 quality strikers at any clubs bar the odd one or two.  

Vine has been here a long time for trial purposes, no doubt. However business is business. He isn't bigger than the club. The best interests of this club comes first and foremost before any individual. Nobody outside of the inner sanctum knows what's happened. Just like it's wrong for me to suggest/guess that had he been here for 2-3-4 weeks and we were wanting to sign him, but his agent/himself had been manufacturing a move elsewhere for a better contract and thus leaving us in the mire. Totally made this up by the way, but it's what happens in today's football environment. Whilst fans are suggesting we have been harsh, it could easily have been the other way round, and many a time Rovers have been victim to this.

As said and just like Micheal Corleone say's 'It's business'. I think Vito and Sonny also said that. Infact, for crying out loud even Tom Hagen said it, and he's not technically family.

Is it that you know all the others personally but aren't on 1st name terms with Marouan, Javier or Michael or just couldn't spell them:P :P

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on August 04, 2011, 09:06:28 pm by ravenrover »
C'mon people get real, this is a mega-bucks business, by the ordinary working mans standards, careers are short which is why players are paid so much. Vine is is a professional footballer and when you are being paid as much, presumably, as he is teams have a right to make sure that he is vital part in the jigsaw. Maybe we could have let him go earlier but he wouldn't have been \"tweeting\" if he had been offered a deal. I said in a previous thread that when Rovers played Mansfield I didn't think he added a deal to what we already had and signing JB, from what others have said, looks a better deal, I'm happy with what we've got up front if William manages 20-25 goals and a couple of others weigh in with 10-15 apiece we won' be far away come next May providing we can keep a few more clean sheets than last season. I just hope we prove all the so called experts wrong and give everybody, but mainly us the supporters, a good run for their money who knows next May JR may be offering free admission to get the ground full for the vital game that gets us into the top 2 or play-offs, I'm going to bed now to finish off this dream just hope it's not wet :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on August 04, 2011, 09:47:36 pm by DonnyOsmond »
He's been messed about a bit, yes. We told him we were interested but we never said we definitely would be loaning him, we never promised anything. If you look at his Twitter since yesterday all he's posted is bitter messages, what happened to being a professional?
Sounds like he fit in well with the other players and made some friends in the short time he was hear but some of those messages sound childish from him.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 04, 2011, 10:01:41 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
We took a look at him.

SOD decided we had better options (against which who are we to judge?)

Vine spat his dummy out despite still being on god knows how much a week.

I really dont see the issue...excet that Vine needs to grow up a little...with his attitude Im personally glad we didnt bother.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 04, 2011, 10:03:21 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=172035
Quote from: \"george-friend\" post=172034
Quote from: \"Thinwhiteduke\" post=172031
Quote from: \"Redandwhitewhizards\" post=171917
To be fair to the club though, we are only hearing one side of the story. So'D isn't the type of person to royally f**k someone off with no real reason...

Paul Heffernan?

Are you not aware of Pauls attitude?

And the fact he wasn't very good?

Yet he had an equal / if not better goalscoring record than a certain Billy Sharp...whatever the division. Really shit that Paul Heffernan.

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 06, 2011, 03:19:48 pm by roverssam1879 »
Quote from: \"CusworthRovers\" post=172082

i prove my point cusworth i prove my point,im sat here watching Billy Sharp get strechered off the pitch, thats why we need 4 strikers, and no i wont call for five.

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 06, 2011, 04:01:10 pm by roverssam1879 »
again my point is further proven correct, hayter and sharp off on the stretcher. this surely proves we need 4 strikers and why we should have signed vine surely ?

DonnyHodge

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 06, 2011, 06:06:19 pm by DonnyHodge »
heindsight is a wonderful thing roverssam.

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 06, 2011, 06:32:54 pm by roverssam1879 »
well i hate to say i told you so...  but i did, and i was proven right today !

now where do we go from here without a strike force.

point proven, and as SOD said on radio de dar we have an empty pot, someone needs to pull somthing from somehwere or else we will have another ''i told you so'' moment at the end of the season when relegation dooms nearer.

Vine or A N other striker should have been brought in or fairhurst should have stayed !

not heindsight, it was my opinion which was correct.

DRFC85

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 06, 2011, 07:12:54 pm by DRFC85 »
Well if only SO'D had consulted our resident oracle…

In my 'opinion', if we buy Messi, Ronaldo, and Tevez, we'll get promoted from the league!

Do you not think everyone on the forum/at the club also has the opinion that there are areas of the squad that are lightweight? Unfortunately WE DONT HAVE THE RESOURCES to have 4 all out strikers on the books! SO'D himself said that he would have signed Vine were it not for the fact that Barnes (who in my opinion will become a crucial player in the next 6 months) became available and we couldn't afford both… it's very easy to give your opinions, it's less easy to actually manage the finances of a small football club in a big league.

Also, have a look at the player profile of Ryan Mason, he is both an attacking midfielder and a forward. Barnes is also a very dangerous player so should be able to get maybe 10 goals in the season from midfield…  
I think we are all unhappy about the injuries today, what makes it even worse is that I was quietly confident that we could have been dark horses this year and possibly push into the top 10, the idea that our season has already been seriously damaged before our first home game is unbelievable.

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 06, 2011, 08:07:05 pm by roverssam1879 »
the difference is that somewhere we could have streched the finances to afford vine, your ''opinion'' is unrealistic where as signing vine wasnt beyond reasonable surely !

if we dont have the resources like you say we dont then i struggle to see where we stand a chance of competing if we cannot even afford another player.

was it so bad that we had to offload fairhurst, he may not be good enough for SOD but surely he was better than nothing,

i know it sounds like we always want want want but its not alot to ask when the likes of brighton sign Mackail smith for such a large amount and we cant afford a players wages.

mason and brown alone cannot turn out on top form the forseeable future whilst we await the return of hayter and sharp,

just annoys me that we are constantly scraping at the barrel, SOD can only have so much patiance, and from the recent interviews and a couple of quotes that have been thrown around it is wearing thin, on the other hand its the best squad he has had yet, but i just feel it could all result in SOD leaving.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on August 06, 2011, 10:08:38 pm by Red wizard »
Brighton have sold 19k season tickets not 5k and that include prem club and boxes.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 06, 2011, 10:14:48 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Agreed if we could be anything we want with this board but why wuld u buy int sinking ship? The w**kers that support leeds, blades, weds and premiership teams to blame simple as!

Quote from: \"Red wizard\" post=173117
Brighton have sold 19k season tickets not 5k and that include prem club and boxes.

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 06, 2011, 11:32:49 pm by roverssam1879 »
good point norfolk, thats the biggest downfall, and it will take a good few generations for it to be anything else i suppose so long as we play at a decent level. im 22 and i see your point, when i was just getting into football, doncaster were unheard of in the playground so to speak unlike wendies blunts leeds scum and the dingles.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012