Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:36:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers: Ten new men  (Read 3306 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
Rovers: Ten new men
« on June 01, 2012, 11:11:51 am by roverstillidie91 »
Interview with DS

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster/doncaster-rovers-10-new-men-1-4606153

DONCASTER Rovers have still to receive any offers for their contracted players claims manager Dean Saunders.

The Rovers boss admits that he is surprised by the lack of interest shown so far in players with a proven pedigree at Championship level over the last four seasons.

“It’s not that I want to lose them - in fact there are quite a few of them I really don’t want to lose,” he told The Star.

“But, as I have said before, I have to move out some of the players on the biggest contracts before I can start to rebuild the squad.

“As things stand I’ve got the budget down by more than half, but we’ve got just 12 contracted players on the books.

“Depending how many of them leave, we need to sign at least another 10 players to complete the squad.

“It’s very frustrating, as it must be for the supporters, that nothing is happening and things are in limbo.

“But until such time as one of the contracted players moves on I don’t know which position I need to fill.

“If, for instance, Tommy Spurr and George Friend were to leave I would obviously need a left-back.

“I’ve been offered some really good left-backs, as I have right-backs, in recent weeks, but I can’t move on any of them.

“In any case a number have already been snapped up by other clubs.

“There are good players out there, who I know would do us a good job in League One next season, who I have spoken to and who I have shown around the stadium.

“Some of the players I hope will be here next season are some of those players who are currently out of contract at the club.

“I told the players that I’d be interested in keeping that I want to offer them something - though it might not be what they got last season.

“What I’ve got to decide is how would some players respond next season after not only suffering relegation but also having had their wages cut by me to help balance the books.

“Would they still be prepared to give everything, or would some resent me - particularly if they’d signed because they had nothing else?

“It’s a dilemma because I could sign a boy from a League Two club who is really promising and give him double what he was earning last season.

“He would think that he had hit the jackpot being at Doncaster and he would think that I was brilliant for bringing him here and he would be motivated enough to run through a brick wall for me.”

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Capmeister

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers: Ten new men
« Reply #1 on June 01, 2012, 11:53:29 am by Capmeister »
Is the last quote genuine? I mean Christ, the man's living in some alternate universe. The lad would av hit the Jackpot and I would be a God. I bet he would. Will some players resent him. No Dean, they probably just think ur an arse who's feking it up royally. I'm dreading this coming season. Really dreading it.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 01, 2012, 01:40:17 pm by Drover »
I think that is Dean's way of saying,he may have concerns over 1 or 2 players from last season who may not be fully onboard with his management.If so,they need to make their mind up,and for the good of everyone involved they should move on.If that means bringing in lower league players who are hungry and will give 100%,the like's of Tim"shoot"Ryan,Doolan,Greeny to name a few in the past,then so be it.Lets face it,how many times did SOD mysteriously not play,drop players or not offer a decent new contract,at the dismay of the fans,for no obvious reason,only to be told that the player concerned would not do has he was told or listen to Sod?It natural for all managers to want,in fact,its important for the players to respect their boss.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:55:33 pm by Drover »

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 01, 2012, 01:42:48 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
That's exactly how I read it, Drover

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 01, 2012, 05:12:07 pm by drfcsteve »
The last paragraph must be how he felt when Willie plucked him out the conference to manage a Championship team.

If players already here resent Dean it will be because they know he's a bad manager that led us to relatgation playing crap football, not because they've had a wage cut.

South West Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 01, 2012, 07:57:04 pm by South West Rover »
The last paragraph must be how he felt when Willie plucked him out the conference to manage a Championship team.

If players already here resent Dean it will be because they know he's a bad manager that led us to relatgation playing crap football, not because they've had a wage cut.

Nothing to do with the players playing crap football then, that led us to relegation?  All DS's fault?  :huh:  Perhaps a wage cut is what some of them deserve.......

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 01, 2012, 08:04:27 pm by Standanista »

Nothing to do with the players playing crap football then, that led us to relegation?  All DS's fault?  :huh:  Perhaps a wage cut is what some of them deserve.......
Yep, new broom, sweep clean and all.  Time for Deano to stamp his monicker on the squad and do things his way.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 01, 2012, 09:37:10 pm by dickos1 »
As I've said before he can't make a post without being negative about Saunders

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 01, 2012, 11:31:21 pm by hoolahoop »
As I've said before he can't make a post without being negative about Saunders

That's because Saunders is a prize prat just when will you see it dickos. Do I have to lead you to the light before you will finally admit this manager is a buffoon...........the trap door beckons if we don't sort ourselves out quickly.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 02, 2012, 12:49:19 am by dickos1 »
Hoola I'm sure I read yesterday a post from you saying it was a fresh start and you were going to be much more supportive and positive from now on?
Couple of days later?????

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 02, 2012, 12:53:33 am by dickos1 »
Hoolahoop 2 days ago

"Putting a score on for us, I'm also an optimist, sick of being negative, hearing negatives. Time to move on and be more supportive."

Calling the manager a prat and stating relegation beckons doesn't marry up to an attitude of an optimist, and someone who is striving to be more supportive really does it?
And if you yourself are sick of reading negative shite why display some of your own?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:10:51 am by dickos1 »

donnyroversfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 02, 2012, 02:11:51 am by donnyroversfc »
Hoola is two different persona's... On the yorkshire forum he likes to say how everything is all bad, on here he likes to pretend he's the ever optimist  and model supporter. He struggles to keep the persona's up though and ends up making himself look bi-polar.

Should try and be consistent like me, instead of changing your mind as often as a microwave tings.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012