Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:42:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Fleetwood game  (Read 14863 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Fleetwood game
« on August 14, 2019, 08:37:24 am by selby »
    Wow, what a downer last night, realisation what we already really knew, that we are way off being good enough, and we are really in need of strengthening in the forward area.
   Fleetwood must be relishing coming to the Keepmoat at the weekend, knowing that like last season they will just be looking to hit us on the counter,and we are powder puff in attack.
   We do need players in in the forward positions, Sadlier and Taylor apart, over a season will anyone else cut it with goals consistently over the season, Whiteman  a midfielder, being the best bet of the others to score more than half a dozen in the season, the goals that Butler scored from set pieces looking as though they will be hard to replace.
   Fleetwood  are having no such problems in their first two games, hitting the onion bag five times already, and have familiar names throughout their team, and will pose a stern test.
   Early days, and between this post and the weekend personnel could come in, it is badly needed in the attacking positions with better players than we have at the moment.
   Lot's to discuss please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Fleetwood game
« Reply #1 on August 14, 2019, 08:41:58 am by drfchound »
Based on what DM said in his interview a couple of days ago, I will be surprised if we get his targeted PL loan striker before the weekend.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 14, 2019, 08:50:00 am by drfcsteve »
Have faith, hopefully we'll have a striker in before the Gillingham Rochdale Grimsby Fleetwood game.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 14, 2019, 09:01:42 am by Colin C No.3 »
I fear that the cowardly thug that is Joey Barton & his team of time wasters, niggly foulers & off the ball assaulters may yet again bully their way to a result unless.......

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 14, 2019, 09:14:29 am by selby »
  The frustrating thing for me is, there is the basis of a decent side in there, everyone knows the problem, and it has already cost us a chance of self funding much of the cost by having a cup run, and keeping supporter interest of eventually getting that plum draw, Grimsby and Macclesfield being hardly the biggest obstacle in the way of doing so.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 14, 2019, 09:16:19 am by drfchound »
I was going to post about that Macclesfield draw.
No doubt then that the winner will get Man Utd away.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 14, 2019, 09:21:37 am by jackthelad »
I hope I'm wrong but I can't see us winning this. We are on a winless run of three games now, the fans will be edgy, as it stands no out and out striker. Couple them facts up with Fleetwood being one of the better teams in the league having had a great start and u really don't see us getting anything.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 14, 2019, 09:58:47 am by ravenrover »
Or alternativly we are undefeated in the league this season

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 14, 2019, 10:03:10 am by jackthelad »

Depends if your glass half full or glass half empty type of person.

At the moment I think most are glass half empty. Still early doors though.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 14, 2019, 10:09:45 am by since-1969 »
The League season has barely started but we are still undefeated . Home pride always plays its part and to spite that the fact most of the present team are strangers,  they are professional and all have had a preseason , so I very much doubt playing Fleetwood will have any significance to them , as barely any of them played last time out . DM is no mug and will tackle this game as any other and install the values he expects from his players . A good turnout on Saturday will see our first home win of the season imo !!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 14, 2019, 11:03:24 am by Campsall rover »

Depends if your glass half full or glass half empty type of person.

At the moment I think most are glass half empty. Still early doors though.
Some people must have very sad lives if they are only looking at the negatives.
There are so many positives to look at. It’s fine margins isn’t it between winning and drawing or drawing and losing.
It can and will change, have belief. It’s only August.
Shall we all stay at home give up and surrender.   :facepalm:

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 14, 2019, 11:14:56 am by Bezza »
I'm going to the Keepmoat to see us win, can't think of Barton going to put one over us again, McCann couldn't beat him, Moore will.

Darren

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 14, 2019, 11:18:39 am by Darren »
I'm going to the Keepmoat to see us win, can't think of Barton going to put one over us again, McCann couldn't beat him, Moore will.
And i dare bet that Barton won't be attacking big Dazza in the tunnel.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 14, 2019, 11:24:00 am by Colemans Left Hook »
So are Bury and they haven't conceeded a goal

there are stat and stats :facepalm:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 14, 2019, 11:27:39 am by ravenrover »
What a stupid comparison  :facepalm:

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 14, 2019, 11:28:42 am by NewDonny »
    Wow, what a downer last night, realisation what we already really knew, that we are way off being good enough, and we are really in need of strengthening in the forward area.
   Fleetwood must be relishing coming to the Keepmoat at the weekend, knowing that like last season they will just be looking to hit us on the counter,and we are powder puff in attack.
   We do need players in in the forward positions, Sadlier and Taylor apart, over a season will anyone else cut it with goals consistently over the season, Whiteman  a midfielder, being the best bet of the others to score more than half a dozen in the season, the goals that Butler scored from set pieces looking as though they will be hard to replace.
   Fleetwood  are having no such problems in their first two games, hitting the onion bag five times already, and have familiar names throughout their team, and will pose a stern test.
   Early days, and between this post and the weekend personnel could come in, it is badly needed in the attacking positions with better players than we have at the moment.
   Lot's to discuss please have your say.

I don't agree, we played some very good stuff last night and if we had converted 3-4 of those chances everyone would be saying its been a good season so far. Lets be honest, their keeper pulled of 2-3 very good saves which on another day could/should have gone in.

I agree we need a CF if only as a foil for the likes of Sadlier & Taylor to play off.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 14, 2019, 12:06:42 pm by selby »
  New Donny, but they didn't go in, and we were not playing a team who play at our level, made seven changes  to their league 2 side last weekend, and for the second time in a couple of weeks played exactly the same tactical formation against us knowing our weakness's. Basically they did not try to win the game, and just bided their time until we dropped the inevitable bollock that sets them up outnumbering our back four.
   Whatever the way you paint that result, we were poor, especially in front of goal, only Sadlier, who was unlucky, and Whiteman from from range any threat at all.
   The  plus points on the night were the performances  of The young centre half from Wolves who had a good game, as did the goalkeeper, looking very calm and caught any crosses in the box,apart from Taylor and Sadlier, none of any of the other forwards threatened a goal at all, our right back missing the best chance of the night from 8 yards, but at least he got goal side of the defence.
   If we do not improve on that showing at the weekend Fleetwood will give us a hiding.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:21:57 pm by selby »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 14, 2019, 05:01:13 pm by scawsby steve »
There's one thing about this game; it will show us exactly where we are at present. There have been different opinions as to how good Gillingham and Rochdale are; I don't think many people will doubt the potential of Fleetwood this season with the excellent signings they've made. I'd be very surprised if they didn't make the top 6 with that side.

If we can put one over on them it'll ease a lot of people's fears on here. However, I'm not holding my breath. Unless, of course, we get a proven striker in before then.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 14, 2019, 05:08:47 pm by grayx »
This is going to be a real test for Rovers, without doubt our hardest game so far.
Can’t see anything but an away win but would love to be wrong.

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 14, 2019, 05:15:24 pm by esdailles left foot »
0 - 2  and one will be a Danny Andrew free kick

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 14, 2019, 06:40:53 pm by NewDonny »
  New Donny, but they didn't go in, and we were not playing a team who play at our level, made seven changes  to their league 2 side last weekend, and for the second time in a couple of weeks played exactly the same tactical formation against us knowing our weakness's. Basically they did not try to win the game, and just bided their time until we dropped the inevitable bollock that sets them up outnumbering our back four.
   Whatever the way you paint that result, we were poor, especially in front of goal, only Sadlier, who was unlucky, and Whiteman from from range any threat at all.
   The  plus points on the night were the performances  of The young centre half from Wolves who had a good game, as did the goalkeeper, looking very calm and caught any crosses in the box,apart from Taylor and Sadlier, none of any of the other forwards threatened a goal at all, our right back missing the best chance of the night from 8 yards, but at least he got goal side of the defence.
   If we do not improve on that showing at the weekend Fleetwood will give us a hiding.

They were the opposition and there to be beaten just like any other team, level should not come into it.

We also made a large number of changes from the side that started Saturday giving players their first competitive start of the season - Ennis, John, Kiwoyma, Blair & Crawford. So for me they played very well, passed the ball around crisply and quickly. and created a lot of opportunities which on another day go in and we win.

So what, we lost 0-1 but from a game perspective we got a lot out of the 90 minutes run out, players getting a feel for their first start, bedding in new players to the club and all in all it bodes well pending a 1-2 more additions. People make me laugh on here, the hysteria  and whinning is just a joke, a good number never having actually been at the game yet comment on players performances, which is one I will never understand.

As you have already said Sadlier was unlucky with his efforts, had he got that bit of luck we would have been talking about a comfortable win, he certainly struck them all well enough and they were on target, well at least 3 were anyway and as you say but for their keeper he would have scored.

Having travelled all the way upto Grimsby (twice already in a season, hate the place) last night, after going up to to Rochdale on Saturday, frankly I am amazed at the negativity on here around last nights game given the performance. To be honest I could have accepted it after Saturdays 1-1 draw up at Rochdale because I thought we were shocking and lucky to come away with a draw. But to play the players we did last night, irrespective of what level they are and play like we did, creating the opportunities that we diid for me was something to build on with a couple more personnel.

Fleetwood will be a good test for us, they are a good side.

Just on a slightly different slight on all this, I would far rather be in our position than having spent all that money in pre season, a charirman who loves himself and is on twitter more than Donald Trump, even hold his own online sessions for gods sake and a fan base that are just vile and totally deluded.

Glass half full for me going forward!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 14, 2019, 07:16:29 pm by selby »
  New Donny' you paint a good picture,and I always thought I was optimistic, and I will be if we sign a couple of goal scorers, the rest of the team are impressive for the most part, the defenders and goalkeeper being improvements, Shief and John obviously talented who will get better, and Taylor looks a good signing who will do well when fitter. A good base without a cutting edge.
  If not signing better forwards we are asking players who have never been prolific scoring goals to suddenly start to, after watching them fail to do so over the last couple of seasons and unable to force a regular starting place in our first team.
  Or are expecting young players from premiership teams, with not a lot of league experience to score goals straight from the off in their senior careers, something very few have done for any team.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 14, 2019, 07:36:16 pm by NewDonny »
  New Donny' you paint a good picture,and I always thought I was optimistic, and I will be if we sign a couple of goal scorers, the rest of the team are impressive for the most part, the defenders and goalkeeper being improvements, Shief and John obviously talented who will get better, and Taylor looks a good signing who will do well when fitter. A good base without a cutting edge.
  If not signing better forwards we are asking players who have never been prolific scoring goals to suddenly start to, after watching them fail to do so over the last couple of seasons and unable to force a regular starting place in our first team.
  Or are expecting young players from premiership teams, with not a lot of league experience to score goals straight from the off in their senior careers, something very few have done for any team.

Less optimistic and more of a good knowledge of the game and insight to what I am watching.

Whiteman, Sadlier, Sheaf, Anderson, Taylor staying fit for me is imperative and important for our season

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 14, 2019, 07:53:27 pm by the vicar »
I can see a hefty loss if we fefend like we did for last night goal and have no strikers, and another cover centre half

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 14, 2019, 08:34:54 pm by NewDonny »
I can see a hefty loss if we fefend like we did for last night goal and have no strikers, and another cover centre half

You didn't go to last nights game then obviously?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 14, 2019, 08:44:31 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
From what I’ve seen/heard the only goals we conceded have been a bit innocuous and unlucky. Defence is really not our problem and neither is midfield were one player away from been a decent side imo two away from been really up there

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 14, 2019, 08:52:25 pm by the vicar »

You didn't go to last nights game then obviously?
yes I did that's were you are sooooo wrong try another you might just get one right

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 14, 2019, 08:54:39 pm by the vicar »
From what I’ve seen/heard the only goals we conceded have been a bit innocuous and unlucky. Defence is really not our problem and neither is midfield were one player away from been a decent side imo two away from been really up there
nothing Unlucky about it just bad defending for there goal and bad misses from us

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 14, 2019, 09:14:13 pm by NewDonny »
nothing Unlucky about it just bad defending for there goal and bad misses from us

Then your eyesight must be failing you then Vicar, then again you were probably sitting behind the goal where the view was awful so maybe I do understand. So let me tell you, the view of the game from the upper main stand I could see the movement on and off the ball and all the chances we created and how we dominated the game for large parts of the 90 minutes.

Bad misses? You missed their keeper pulling off a few quality saves then obviously. I can handle constructive criticism of the team but posting just out and out rubbish that bears no resemblance to the performance is just ridiculous, poor on you.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 14, 2019, 09:18:46 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I’m talking about all the games not just Grimsby to be fair I wasn’t there but I’ve heard we were by far the better side.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012