Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:33:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Bury game  (Read 8729 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Bury game
« on August 25, 2019, 01:54:20 pm by selby »
  What can we say about the game? I guess not a lot other than hope that the game does take place, if not next weekend but hopefully at some point this season for Bury's sake.
  What a mess this season is turning out to be, and not unusually we are right in the thick of it, and have already been dealt a bad hand compared with all the other sides involved with Bolton, doubt about our position still in doubt, whereas the other teams have completed their games, so if Bolton do survive their result will stand.
  Personally if any were to go of the two, I would prefer it to be Bolton, who's demise would possibly bring more people into reality, knowing that all the clubs are in danger if not properly managed being a recent premiership club, and because of their ex chairman's attitude to cutting teams like mine adrift I have very little sympathy with, no doubt their fans the majority of which would have gladly gone along with his plan to make the premiership a closed shop.
  Have Bury actually got a side to field?
  Have they got a management team?
  Will it be too soon to play a game even if they get taken over before Tuesday?
  All the publicity and media hipe will be with Bury, would it be better to play at a later date?
  Will other local big teams loan them players to get them a start back in the swing of things?
  Lots to discuss about what can be nothing, please have your say. 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Bury game
« Reply #1 on August 25, 2019, 02:03:23 pm by NickDRFC »
I really hope that we can play - you can see things are starting to click for the team and this will only improve the more that we play. Given how tough our fixtures are coming up it would be a huge shame to be forced to miss the two easiest games of the period.

Looks like they have a skeleton squad of senior players but assuming their takeover goes through this week I reckon they'll have a few signings (freebies and loans) lined up - either way if the game goes ahead we should be strong favourites for the win as we'd either be playing a shadow squad or a newly cobbled together team of strangers.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 25, 2019, 02:05:48 pm by Reesielad »
Don’t they still have Jermaine Beckford?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 25, 2019, 02:11:33 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Don’t they still have Jermaine Beckford?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah think he went this Summer.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 25, 2019, 02:19:28 pm by NickDRFC »
Their first team squad is:

GK - Scott Maloney - 18 - no senior experience
DF - Adam Thompson - 26
DF - Tom Miller - 29
DF - Dougie Nyaupembe - 19, only senior experience is loan spells in non-league
MF - Stephen Dawson - 33
MF - Neil Danns (remember him?!) - 36
FW - Harry Bunn - 26
FW - Jordan Archer - 25

So a similar level of experience in the squad I'd say as Bolton.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 25, 2019, 02:23:52 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Their first team squad is:

GK - Scott Maloney - 18 - no senior experience
DF - Adam Thompson - 26
DF - Tom Miller - 29
DF - Dougie Nyaupembe - 19, only senior experience is loan spells in non-league
MF - Stephen Dawson - 33
MF - Neil Danns (remember him?!) - 36
FW - Harry Bunn - 26
FW - Jordan Archer - 25

So a similar level of experience in the squad I'd say as Bolton.

They should get a few loans through the door if it goes ahead so the team will be disjointed but not too bad in quality and I'd still expect us to beat them.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 25, 2019, 02:25:34 pm by dknward2 »
Think man city have offered them 5 of their youth players on loan

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 25, 2019, 02:45:12 pm by DonnyOsmond »
https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/volunteers-needed/

They seem hopeful. For anyone who fancies volunteering x

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 25, 2019, 02:49:48 pm by Herman Hessian »
fully expecting Bury to be given another reprieve on Tuesday but allowed to remain in stasis, the game to therefore be officially postponed by the Preston-based EFL - and for Rovers to then be deducted 10 points for not turning up to play...

#lancashiremafia

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 25, 2019, 02:54:33 pm by the vicar »
Do you know if I had more time I would nip through and lend a hand if it gets the game on, if it does not sound to daft lol

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 25, 2019, 03:07:32 pm by scawsby steve »
  What can we say about the game? I guess not a lot other than hope that the game does take place, if not next weekend but hopefully at some point this season for Bury's sake.
  What a mess this season is turning out to be, and not unusually we are right in the thick of it, and have already been dealt a bad hand compared with all the other sides involved with Bolton, doubt about our position still in doubt, whereas the other teams have completed their games, so if Bolton do survive their result will stand.
  Personally if any were to go of the two, I would prefer it to be Bolton, who's demise would possibly bring more people into reality, knowing that all the clubs are in danger if not properly managed being a recent premiership club, and because of their ex chairman's attitude to cutting teams like mine adrift I have very little sympathy with, no doubt their fans the majority of which would have gladly gone along with his plan to make the premiership a closed shop.
  Have Bury actually got a side to field?
  Have they got a management team?
  Will it be too soon to play a game even if they get taken over before Tuesday?
  All the publicity and media hipe will be with Bury, would it be better to play at a later date?
  Will other local big teams loan them players to get them a start back in the swing of things?
  Lots to discuss about what can be nothing, please have your say.

Brian, the game cannot be played at any other time but next Saturday. The EFL have emphatically stated that no more Bury games can be cancelled.

If the sale goes through, we're all there next Saturday.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 25, 2019, 04:12:11 pm by selby »
  Someone with connections with the FA have told me the game will be played. A tough one for us, all the support media wise will be with Bury, and us a side show.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 25, 2019, 11:16:04 pm by RobTheRover »
Interesting comments on the FL Show on Quest last night.

The player from Brentford mentioned Bury handing out 3 year contracts like sweeties a year or two ago.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 25, 2019, 11:26:45 pm by Barmby Rover »

The player from Brentford mentioned Bury handing out 3 year contracts like sweeties a year or two ago.
Wouldn't that mean they should have more on the books then? Or does non-payment mean they have all had the option, and taken up the opportunity to go?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 25, 2019, 11:30:24 pm by Alan Southstand »
A tough one for us, all the support media wise will be with Bury, and us a side show.

We’ll be playing 11 men on the field and that’s about it. Bury won’t be bothered about the win, rather they’ll just be pleased to be actually involved again. The media will not score any goals, nor will they block any of our shots.

All we have to do is go there and be professional and not upset anyone, as their supporters will be emotionally charged. We could actually make a few good friends, who knows?

Just get a result, fair and square, and come away with our reputation intact. The Efl will be watching carefully, no doubt.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 25, 2019, 11:41:23 pm by RobTheRover »

Wouldn't that mean they should have more on the books then? Or does non-payment mean they have all had the option, and taken up the opportunity to go?

They weren't paid last season and left. Quite a few went with the manager to Plymouth.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 25, 2019, 11:42:07 pm by RobTheRover »
Those players are still creditors to the club, btw. Owed thousands and thousands.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 26, 2019, 09:34:32 am by Chris Black come back »
Completely passed me by that Bury got promoted last season. When you see their squad it all makes sense now.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 26, 2019, 10:00:04 am by Colemans Left Hook »
it would be interesting to see what the odds are for a correct score say a "Darlingtonian" score probably about 6/1  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 26, 2019, 10:41:20 am by Colin C No.3 »
I take it that if the game is on it will be pay on the gate given that Bury won’t have the time (or resources) to print & issue tickets?

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 26, 2019, 12:02:13 pm by swintonrover »
I take it that if the game is on it will be pay on the gate given that Bury won’t have the time (or resources) to print & issue tickets?

There are tickets, our ticket office had them for sale on Saturday.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 26, 2019, 12:41:13 pm by Campsall rover »
Bury tickets have been on sale for 2 weeks.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 26, 2019, 02:45:37 pm by dknward2 »
Bury ticket office has opened today volunteers selling the tickets. The fans are really wanting to get this sorted it seems hope the EFL and the people buying the club do as well

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 26, 2019, 03:03:53 pm by scawsby steve »

Yeah Rob, and when you think of who some of those players were, Jermaine Beckford, Peter Clarke, Jay O' Shea, and Harry Bunn, all of them big earners at the time, then no wonder they're in the sh*t now.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 26, 2019, 03:11:05 pm by Al4475 »
And some Rovers fans would've demanded why Rovers couldn't complete in the acquisition players of the ilk of those above be signed, sealed and delivered to DRFC on big three year deals given half the chance!

Because it's a stupid direction to go In that will catch up with you in the end!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 26, 2019, 03:40:29 pm by silent majority »
And some Rovers fans would've demanded why Rovers couldn't complete in the acquisition players of the ilk of those above be signed, sealed and delivered to DRFC on big three year deals given half the chance!

Because it's a stupid direction to go In that will catch up with you in the end!

But they did Al. At the time that Bury were spending large there was more than one or two on here complaining that they had ambition and we didn't.

I flagged it up and said it would end in tears.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 26, 2019, 03:41:57 pm by scawsby steve »

Dead right Al, because Peter Clarke was actually training with us pending the Sequentia take-over. When it didn't happen, he wasn't signed.

That tells us everything about handing out silly contracts.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 26, 2019, 03:59:17 pm by Al4475 »
I know SM and Scawsby - and yet folk still wish Rovers would do it! Bloody stupid mentality.

Sequentia thing too - bonkers idea, none-runner from the start - maybe people are at last beginning to understand that that approach would've more likely than not, caused serious problems for DRFC
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 04:03:42 pm by Al4475 »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 26, 2019, 04:02:04 pm by Chris Black come back »
This is how tough it is - our playing budget is I understand around 6th or so in this league and we have one of the more efficient and competitive commercial set-ups, yet we are still reliant on the owners for £2m a year to stay in contention (and nobody here expects us to be winning this league but merely being competitive for play offs). 

That is some cold financial reality right there.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 26, 2019, 05:03:27 pm by silent majority »
This is how tough it is - our playing budget is I understand around 6th or so in this league and we have one of the more efficient and competitive commercial set-ups, yet we are still reliant on the owners for £2m a year to stay in contention (and nobody here expects us to be winning this league but merely being competitive for play offs). 

That is some cold financial reality right there.

Yep, and the difference between 6th and 1st, in terms of budget, is immense.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012