Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:16:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Accrington Stanley game  (Read 4005 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Accrington Stanley game
« on August 15, 2021, 06:51:06 pm by selby »
  Another tough game for us at a place we rarely do well at, against a team that habitually upset the odds and finish higher than expected in the league,and with a team that cost buttons compared with others in division1.
  And unlike most teams like ourselves looking for stars of the future in loan players from higher division clubs, their spine is made up of players that have gone around the non league divisions to get their experience, and managed by probably in investment to success terms arguably the most successful in English League football.
  Four players who have ended up at Accrington after taking the route of playing for numerous non league sides are Charles 27 goals in 75 games Bishop 20 goals in 60 games are their main strikers, McConville who always seams to play well against us, and Pell a tall central midfield player,all doing the rounds of the non league circuit before being signed for peanuts.
  So it can be done on not that much money, a matter of a cute manager, and players that give everything for the shirt and wear it with pride. Now at least I think we have the manager and am confident things will quickly improve as he will demand effort and pride.
  Not going to the game at the Wednesday for my own reasons, reports indicate we were much better, and following the game at Walsall which in itself was an improvement on last Saturday we will have to step up even further to get anything out of this game.
Are we capable of it?of course we are, and part of the intrigue in the game is watching for any improvement and hopefully get a little luck to go with any improvement its going to take time, a little wheeling and dealing, and the right sort of players with the right sort of personality, and a bit of patience and trust in the manager from us the supporters, something some of our supporters are plainly showing a lack of with only three games of the season played.
   So where do you have us?
   Do you trust the manager /management team to build a side from scratch?something that has to be done.
   Have you the patience to see a team built from a low base?  We may need it.
   Are you willing to see the job through with the manager?
   Would you go for loans from higher placed clubs/ go for top non league players ? or a mixture of both? or wait for Fey and other injured players to return?
   Are we capable in the meantime of getting a result at Accrington, where if we do we will have to show ability and character?
   Are you going to this game?
   lots to discus about this game please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Accrington Stanley game
« Reply #1 on August 15, 2021, 07:16:32 pm by scawsby steve »
It's quite simple, Brian; our midfield will be better than theirs, but unless we bring a striker in on loan, the result will be a 0-0 draw, or a defeat, because we have nothing up front.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 15, 2021, 07:37:36 pm by StocksArmy »
I think yesterday was the straw that broke the camels back for Bogle and think Wellens will do everything in his power to get a loan in before the game. As i commented yesterday i saw good signs in the performance and anybody saying they think we will be relegated on the back of that are focussing completely on the negativity of the result. 0-2 Rovers.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 07:45:30 pm by StocksArmy »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 15, 2021, 09:47:53 pm by Alan Southstand »
Nothing wrong with the manager but there is a log jam on recruitment (even loans now).

We never win at Accrington, do we?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 15, 2021, 10:07:05 pm by selby »
   Not really Alan, but until someone has lost a game nobody has won it, and its no good giving up before the game is played, we had enough of that last season.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 15, 2021, 10:46:57 pm by Alan Southstand »
Nothing I think or say will change the result on zTuesday - only the team can affect that. I just think we’ll have more of a say in games when we get the last 2 pieces of the current puzzle sorted!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 15, 2021, 11:53:33 pm by the vicar »
If we play like I’m sure we can like at Wendy’s but shoot a bit more and put pressure on there defensive players. We can not afford to play Bogle, and Barlow needs to get more in the middle danger zone as that is what he does to score goals
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 11:56:22 pm by the vicar »

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 16, 2021, 07:30:49 am by BigH »
Stanley concede goals and have just sold their centre half, Burgess, to Ipswich. Notwithstanding the lack of a decent forward line right now, getting a goal or two shouldn't be beyond us.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 16, 2021, 07:45:23 am by Chris Black come back »
They’ve got that lad Dion Charles up front. 19 goals in League One last season and has scored already this season.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 16, 2021, 08:05:36 am by Campsall rover »
They’ve got that lad Dion Charles up front. 19 goals in League One last season and has scored already this season.
Anderson and Williams will sort him out don’t worry CBcb.  :)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 16, 2021, 08:08:23 am by Campsall rover »
Nothing wrong with the manager but there is a log jam on recruitment (even loans now).

We never win at Accrington, do we?
We have not yet Alan but that does not mean we never will. If we go into the game with a negative attitude then we may as well not turn up.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 16, 2021, 09:21:43 am by sha66y »
Progress on the pitch is on an upward curve, I’m sure the strikers will be getting told they are in the ia st chance saloon unless they start taking up better positions and can force the game, the rest of the machine is starting to look much better….

I see a win, because the forward line must eventually chip in, so why not tomorrow night….

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 16, 2021, 03:27:54 pm by Lesonthewest »
Quote from: scawsby steve link=topic=281890.msg1078369#msg1078369

date=1629051392
It's quite simple, Brian; our midfield will be better than theirs, but unless we bring a striker in on loan, the result will be a 0-0 draw, or a defeat, because we have nothing up front.
Totally agree, at this time we must have THE worst strike force in league 1, & I dare say worse than quite a few in league 2. That's not a criticism, it's just how it is at the minute, whether we address it or roll with it is down to the club. For what it's worth, in my opinion if the injuries carry on until November time, we will struggle to play catch up in & around the bottom.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 16, 2021, 06:06:46 pm by since-1969 »
I don’t understand that point of view , anyone should be able to score in a team . Strikers go weeks without scoring and defenders get hat-tricks  . Bogles getting in the neck and rightly so , but he says he’s a striker and every effort should be made by the creating the opportunities and support , but we seem unable to put in a decent cross or put in a pass over the heads of defenders . We’ve been here before without a decent striker , so put Cameron John up front and see what happens .!!

hstripes

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 16, 2021, 06:58:16 pm by hstripes »
Thoughts on the team? Assuming the same players are available and we stick to 4-3-3. I'd go for:-

Jones - Knoyle, Williams, Anderson, Horton - Bostock, Galbraith, Close - Rowe, Cukur, Barlow

I think the young keeper needs a break after his mistakes so far before he loses his confidence. Rowe would be more effective and more of a natural IMO on the left wing than Gardner also we know he has a goal in him given our current problems scoring. For me if Rowe moves from left back Horton is a better bet to fill in than John.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 16, 2021, 07:18:20 pm by scawsby steve »
I don’t understand that point of view , anyone should be able to score in a team . Strikers go weeks without scoring and defenders get hat-tricks  . Bogles getting in the neck and rightly so , but he says he’s a striker and every effort should be made by the creating the opportunities and support , but we seem unable to put in a decent cross or put in a pass over the heads of defenders . We’ve been here before without a decent striker , so put Cameron John up front and see what happens .!!

Unable to put in a pass over the heads of defenders? You can't have been at Hillsborough then, or you'd have seen that sublime pass by Galbraith that put Cukur in for a chance that even Terry Austin would have buried.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 16, 2021, 07:43:44 pm by the vicar »
Thoughts on the team? Assuming the same players are available and we stick to 4-3-3. I'd go for:-

Jones - Knoyle, Williams, Anderson, Horton - Bostock, Galbraith, Close - Rowe, Cukur, Barlow

I think the young keeper needs a break after his mistakes so far before he loses his confidence. Rowe would be more effective and more of a natural IMO on the left wing than Gardner also we know he has a goal in him given our current problems scoring. For me if Rowe moves from left back Horton is a better bet to fill in than John.
no one injured so one of them won’t be playing

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 16, 2021, 09:52:22 pm by godlike1 »
Need to stick Barlow in the middle, he's wasted on the right. He may not be the tallest but at least he'll make runs and be a pest for the Accrington defence. Cuckr I felt did little on sat and was too slow. It'd mean having to play Williams but if it gets him game time to prove what he can bring or put him in the shop window so be it. Big lads could come on later if it's not working. Needs midfield to be at good though to create the chances

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 17, 2021, 09:40:15 am by selby »
  The first thing we will have to do in this game, and something we have failed to do against Accrington in the past with better sides on paper than we have now, is match their enthusiasm and strength and sheer will to play as good as they possibly can and find a way to win a game of football.
  In the other games we have played against them they have started as the bookies favourites to lose the game to us, and have overturned the odds with down right effort and imposing their game on our supposedly technically better players.
  They as a team have character in bucket fulls, we have to match that to play our own game and any lack of effort will be exposed.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 17, 2021, 01:08:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Would agree Selby and Wellens said as much in his prenatch interview.

I don't expect to win there but again, if we show progression from the weekend then I'll be happy.

Also agree re Barlow being able to operate in and around the box would be highly desirable 

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 17, 2021, 01:22:50 pm by the vicar »
That is where all his goals have come from so far so why play him out wide

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 17, 2021, 01:36:13 pm by RoversAlias »
That is where all his goals have come from so far so why play him out wide

Because he hasn't got the physicality or presence to play centrally as a lone #9. That role demands the ability to show strength, to compete with a pair of big centre backs, hold the ball up and bring others into play off the shoulder. That is not what Barlow is all about.

He's better off the flank, cutting in and finding gaps in the defence, running channels and poaching. He clearly needs to gamble more in the box playing this role but he showed in pre-season he can do it, and I'm sure Wellens is encouraging him to do so in training. He needs a good foil at #9 to be able to do it well, and that will either be Cukur once hes up to speed, a new signing if we can get one, or Bogle if miracles can happen.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 17, 2021, 03:50:02 pm by the vicar »
He does exactly what King Billy used to do

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 17, 2021, 05:03:54 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
'
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 05:05:57 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 17, 2021, 06:10:39 pm by danumdon »
  The first thing we will have to do in this game, and something we have failed to do against Accrington in the past with better sides on paper than we have now, is match their enthusiasm and strength and sheer will to play as good as they possibly can and find a way to win a game of football.
  In the other games we have played against them they have started as the bookies favourites to lose the game to us, and have overturned the odds with down right effort and imposing their game on our supposedly technically better players.
  They as a team have character in bucket fulls, we have to match that to play our own game and any lack of effort will be exposed.

Totally agree with this, i'm hoping RW will instill this type of never say die mentality into our squad as with other things being against you, you may not have the best team in the league but it costs nothing to get 100% commitment, drive and desire to do well from your team. This i feel is something we have lacked for a few years.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 17, 2021, 09:55:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
No real surprise with the result then.

Some spineless comments coming in from those you would expect.

Accrington is a tough place to go, we only know that too well. We know where we're struggling at the moment however, sooner or later RW will turn it around.

For perspective. Sunderland lost at Burton and Ipswich lost at Cheltenham so with the resources available to them, their fans might have grounds for complaint.

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 17, 2021, 09:55:55 pm by chrisfisher »

Accrington is a tough place to go, we only know that too well. We know where we're struggling at the moment however, sooner or later RW will turn it around.

For perspective. Sunderland lost at Burton and Ipswich lost at Cheltenham so with the resources available to them, their fans might have grounds for complaint.

Oh jog on pal.

Spineless? It's the team and club who are spineless.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 17, 2021, 09:57:49 pm by dickos1 »

Oh jog on pal.

No, it’s folk like you!
We’ve played 3 games and your pissing and whining like we’re already relegated.
Given up.
Embarrassing

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 17, 2021, 09:59:04 pm by chrisfisher »

Oh jog on pal.

No, it’s folk like you!
We’ve played 3 games and your pissing and whining like we’re already relegated.
Given up.
Embarrassing

Are you suggesting that wasn't a spineless performance?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 17, 2021, 10:04:51 pm by since-1969 »
We are looking out of our depth in L1 !

TinyPortal © 2005-2012