Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:16:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Carlisle United game  (Read 5633 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Carlisle United game
« on October 12, 2022, 09:29:26 am by selby »
  One thing is certain, if we once again  defend like we did in the first half last night v Barnsley and have players in mid field contributing next to nothing in front of the defenders we are in for a tough day at Carlisle.
  The pitch at Carlisle always looked big  to me whether this is because the stands seem stood back from the pitch who knows, but attacking players wide always seem to have room to work in, and over the years Carlisle have always looked to exploit these areas, and get the ball in the box
  On last nights showing, with no pace at the back being exposed all the first half down the left and central, and the defenders never landing a glove on the Barnsley attackers, Knoyle, and Faulkner  have to return into the action with Clayton who gives them some cover and makes contact with the opposition, Barlow, Ravenhill Long and Anderson who looked a shadow of the player a couple of seasons ago, but we know can be a good player and deserves time to get back once again failing to show they are up to the standard we require of first team footballers. Add a total lack of any penetration up front until changes were made at half time resulted in the first half last night being a hard watch for our supporters.
  Any bright lights were only supplied when we made changes, Miller and Hurst now look players who have improved since coming and if they continue will have good careers, Miller actually having a great left footed shot on the run saved just after half time, something he must have been working on or hiding in previous games.
  Carlisle have won 3 games and Drawn 3 and are unbeaten at home in the league with Dennis being top scorer on seven goals one of the top scorers in the division, and Saturday burst the Hartlepool bubble when they beat us by  coming from behind for a 3-1 win with two goals from substitute Omari Patrick showing they have more than one danger man up front and secured their second away victory of the week, so unbeaten at home, and in form, we have a very hard game on our hands.
  No doubt players who didn't take part last night will return Faulkner, and Knoyle were a big miss v Barnsley along with Clayton, one success last night being Jones who had a good game while poorly protected in front of him. and showed Mitchell he has competition. I prefer Maxwell even with his faults to Long who's lack of pace is a worry , Miller a shoe in to return and should want to play, Agard and Close also showing better form in games than what was on show last night in the first half.
  Lots to discuss about this game, lots of things to discuss about our line up, three at the back or a four, and a pitch where you have to be a tight defensive unit, and where players can find space to play, and a team in form after finishing last season well in the second half of the season, Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Carlisle United game
« Reply #1 on October 12, 2022, 12:55:57 pm by Draytonian III »
Rovers to win 14/5 , Rovers to win with over 1.5 goals in the match 4/1, with over 2.5 goals 11/2

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 12, 2022, 01:22:05 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
One of my favourite away days. Remember watching Eduardo get his leg broken for Arsenal in the little club house before a game many moons ago!

Miller was good last night, Hurst is generally always good for us and again so last night. It's hard to lift the gloom at the moment, but the majority of players keep showing their pride and fight - a much better second half last night evidence of that.

Each game now just feels like either a temporary extension for Gary, or another nail in the coffin.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 12, 2022, 04:59:06 pm by Campsall rover »
Based on who I assume will be fit.
Team:
3-4-1-2

Mitchell

Faulkner
Williams
Long

Knoyle
Clayton
Close,
Hurst

Biggins

Agard
Miller

Subs from:  Jones, Anderson, Maxwell, Ravenhill, Taylor, Woltman, Molyneux, Griffiths. ( one of which will miss out )

I assume Olowu Rowe, are not ready yet of course.
Would give Anderson and Taylor at least another week before starting either of them.

Tough match against a team in form. GM needs to tell them to go out and attack, show no fear. Carlisle are due a home defeat. Let’s be the first team to inflict it as we were at Northampton.
This is make or break for GM.
Performance performance performance.  If we lose with a good one then fair enough but if we play as we did at Hartlepool or that 1st half v Leyton Orient then time is up imo.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 12, 2022, 06:23:18 pm by roversdude »
Agard had food poisoning so I guess it depends how bad he was

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 12, 2022, 06:46:35 pm by RugbyRover »
Team:
3-4-1-2

Mitchell

Faulkner
Williams
Long

Knoyle
Clayton
Close,
Hurst

Biggins

Agard
Miller

Subs from:  Jones, Anderson, Maxwell, Ravenhill, Taylor, Woltman, Molyneux, Griffiths. ( one of which will miss out )

Would give Anderson and Taylor at least another week before starting either of them.

Tough match against a team in form. GM needs to tell them to go out and attack, show no fear. Carlisle are due a home defeat. Let’s be the first team to inflict it as we were at Northampton.
Performance performance performance.  If we lose with a good one then fair enough but if we play as we did at Hartlepool or that 1st half v Leyton Orient then time is up imo.

I can just imagine you being at Balaclava. All this Attack Attack Attack stuff

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 12, 2022, 06:50:44 pm by DonnyNoel »

Agard had food poisoning so I guess it depends how bad he was

Ah so when GMcS said Agard was pushing it through the eye of a needle he wasn't talking about playing him in the #10 role  :chair:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 12, 2022, 07:43:13 pm by Campsall rover »
Team:
3-4-1-2

Mitchell

Faulkner
Williams
Long

Knoyle
Clayton
Close,
Hurst

Biggins

Agard
Miller

I can just imagine you being at Balaclava. All this Attack Attack Attack stuff
Just one Attack in the 1st half at Carlisle will be an improvement on last Saturday.  ;)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 12, 2022, 07:57:22 pm by Alan Southstand »
This, assuming Agard not fit enough for 90+ minutes:

Mitchell

Faulkner
Anderson
Long

Knoyle
Biggins
Clayton
Close,
Hurst

Molyneux
Miller

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 12, 2022, 08:03:30 pm by Campsall rover »

Mitchell

Faulkner
Anderson
Long

Knoyle
Biggins
Clayton
Close,
Hurst

Molyneux
Miller
I would also play Anderson instead of Williams if he is fit enough to play 90 mins.
I am assuming as he has only had 45 mins that he may need more game time on the trading pitch or in a behind closed doors friendly.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 12, 2022, 08:14:55 pm by Alan Southstand »
I thought he had 60 minutes, v Barnsley youth team?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 12, 2022, 08:15:17 pm by Lesonthewest »

Mitchell

Faulkner
Anderson
Long

Knoyle
Biggins
Clayton
Close,
Hurst

Molyneux
Miller
I would also play Anderson instead of Williams if he is fit enough to play 90 mins.
I am assuming as he has only had 45 mins that he may need more game time on the trading pitch or in a behind closed doors friendly.

I would also start Anderson, I thought he played quite well on Tuesday, & is our best central defender that can come out & pick out a pass, rather than the hopeless punts forward.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 12, 2022, 08:27:34 pm by Campsall rover »
I thought he had 60 minutes, v Barnsley youth team?
Sorry Alan yes he did. It was Miller and Hurst who came on at H/T for  Griffiths and Barlow I think.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 12, 2022, 08:36:50 pm by roversdude »
Have we sold many for Saturday, who is going from here

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 12, 2022, 08:48:58 pm by Lesonthewest »
Got our tickets, going on the train for a change, & a few beers of course.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 13, 2022, 01:13:16 am by Sammy Chung was King »

Mitchell

Anderson.   Long

Knoyle.                          Maxwell

Clayton.    Biggins

Molyneux                          Hurst

Miller.    Woltman

Subs Agard, Goodman, Close, Taylor, Faulkner, Seaman, Jones

I would leave Williams out of the squad as well as Griffiths they aren’t producing enough to be in there. Barlow also has never really done it in a rovers shirt. Ravenhill would just fail to get in the squad because of Close. Seaman I would pick on the bench due to his versatility. Goodman deserves to start getting minutes on the pitch.

Faulkner even at eighteen is a better bet than Williams. I think the Anderson/Long partnership could work if they get enough games together.
Woltman drifting in between midfield and Miller providing the cutting edge. Put Molyneux where he was playing at Hartlepool and get Hurst down the left. Clayton and Biggins job should be to give the ball to our creative players and screen the defence.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 13, 2022, 06:58:10 am by Chris Black come back »
A very good home record in the league. Lost only 1 in 10 at home and that was back on 9 April. Well do very well to get a result there.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 13, 2022, 07:07:21 am by colincramb »
Comfortable home win, with another shambles of a performance. Can’t see anything else.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 13, 2022, 07:29:54 am by roversdude »

Mitchell

Anderson.   Long

Clayton.    Biggins

Miller.    Woltman

I would leave Williams out of the squad as well as Griffiths they aren’t producing enough to be in there. Barlow also has never really done it in a rovers shirt. Ravenhill would just fail to get in the squad because of Close. Seaman I would pick on the bench due to his versatility. Goodman deserves to start getting minutes on the pitch.

Faulkner even at eighteen is a better bet than Williams. I think the Anderson/Long partnership could work if they get enough games together.
Woltman drifting in between midfield and Miller providing the cutting edge. Put Molyneux where he was playing at Hartlepool and get Hurst down the left. Clayton and Biggins job should be to give the ball to our creative players and screen the defence.

We have to start with Close for me. Not convinced Anderson is fit enough to start he looked very “rusty” on Tuesday. Still don’t get this big hate of Williams - he’s played as well as his defensive partner whoever it has been (a point I believe you alluded to was the amount of chopping and changing that has had to have been done)
We need to start on the front foot whatever team is selected

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 13, 2022, 07:31:23 am by DearneValleyRover »

Mitchell

Faulkner
Anderson
Long

Knoyle
Biggins
Clayton
Close,
Hurst

Molyneux
Miller

I like that lineup Alan although I’d be tempted to play Woltman with Miller and Molyneux instead of Biggins

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 13, 2022, 10:08:26 am by Campsall rover »
Have we sold many for Saturday, who is going from here
I am going.  ;) 
Got it down for a draw.  But if we don’t start well I am very fearful that we could be 2-0 down in first 25 mins and we will be chasing the game AGAIN.

Carlisle will be up for this, they are in good form and we need to be at it from the 1st min.
Man for man we have better players but it’s about showing it as a collective once we cross that white line.

Can GM give an inspirational team talk which will get the players fired up and believing they can win.
That’s the million dollar question.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 13, 2022, 10:23:43 am by pib »
They are a good side and in a good run of form at the moment. They've only lost one game all season in the league and are unbeaten at home.

They of course have Paul Simpson in charge, the ex-England U20 head coach, and manager of over 400 games, who wasn't a good fit for our managerial position last year because he didn't know the league as well as Gary McSheffrey. From this, one can only conclude that their upturn in results since February must be due to other factors aside from the manager.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 13, 2022, 11:15:54 am by Colin C No.3 »
Comfortable home win, with another shambles of a performance. Can’t see anything else.
Really?

What if ‘Big Tom’ finally shows he’s shaken off the ‘cloud’ that’s hung over his recent appearances as he’s gaining fitness & game time recovering from a niggling injury & plays alongside Long.

What if Biggins has gained a little self belief after his first goal in Rovers colours & can thread balls through to the strikers runs with Clayton ‘sat behind’ him & playing balls forward instead of backwards or sideways?

What if Hurst & Molyneaux can give some width to that midfield when we’re on the front foot or come inside to lend support when things ‘stall’ in midfield & inject a bit of pace, hold & run with the ball at defenders forcing them to turn & leave space for Knoyle to join the attacks?

What if GM plays Agard alongside Miller who will be wanting to continue his scoring run & must be full of confidence.

Can you really not see anything but “a shambles”?

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 13, 2022, 11:56:44 am by Wiltshire Exile »

Stop sitting on the fence, Colin!   :lol:

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 13, 2022, 12:23:26 pm by Colin C No.3 »
You only get splinters up there Wiltshire!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 13, 2022, 02:45:40 pm by selby »
  I will be surprised if Long or Anderson start on Saturdat after the chasing a 16 year old gave them down the middle and our left side on Tuesday evening in the first half.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 13, 2022, 04:04:09 pm by Campsall rover »
Really?

What if ‘Big Tom’ finally shows he’s shaken off the ‘cloud’ that’s hung over his recent appearances as he’s gaining fitness & game time recovering from a niggling injury & plays alongside Long.

What if Biggins has gained a little self belief after his first goal in Rovers colours & can thread balls through to the strikers runs with Clayton ‘sat behind’ him & playing balls forward instead of backwards or sideways?

What if Hurst & Molyneaux can give some width to that midfield when we’re on the front foot or come inside to lend support when things ‘stall’ in midfield & inject a bit of pace, hold & run with the ball at defenders forcing them to turn & leave space for Knoyle to join the attacks?

What if GM plays Agard alongside Miller who will be wanting to continue his scoring run & must be full of confidence.

Can you really not see anything but “a shambles”?
That’s how it should be and that’s what this team are capable of but will GM get them doing it?
Oh please please get them doing it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 13, 2022, 04:18:17 pm by Campsall rover »
  I will be surprised if Long or Anderson start on Saturdat after the chasing a 16 year old gave them down the middle and our left side on Tuesday evening in the first half.
Yes but please tell me where Ravenhill and Barlow were in that midfield.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 13, 2022, 04:47:51 pm by steve@dcfd »
So Barlow and Griffiths are injured and looks like both will not be available for Saturday. Groin strain Griffiths and a niggle Barlow. Agard had food poisoning he appears to be getting better.

I don’t think Anderson or Taylor will start but will be on the bench.
We might play three at the back with Faulkner Wiiliams and Long.
Five in midfield Knoyle Biggins Clayton Close Hurst or Maxwell
Two up front of Molyneux or Woltman and Miller.
The bench
Jones, Anderson, Maxwell or Hurst, Ravenhill, Taylor Molyneux or Woltman, Agard.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 04:53:02 pm by steve@dcfd »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 13, 2022, 06:29:04 pm by ravenrover »

Mitchell

Anderson.   Long

Clayton.    Biggins

Miller.    Woltman

Seems very overloaded on the right with nothing on the left :-]]

TinyPortal © 2005-2012