Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:53:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Carlisle United game  (Read 4310 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Carlisle United game
« on December 30, 2022, 12:50:10 pm by selby »
  Probably our hardest by far game of late and a real test of our metal and any thoughts of better times to come, and in my view, despite others not wanting signings in January looking at other threads, hopefully the last before we get a few players of better quality in.
   Managed by Paul Simpson who came to the club only on the 23rd of February last and has cobbled a team of players who have been around the block of non league , released players and the inevitable players from Scotland for not a lot of money, given them an identity and style of play and is reaping the benefit of his hard work.
  just a couple of months ago they gave us a shock and completely played us off the park, making us look second class from  start to finish of the game at Carlisle, and have slowly built on that result and now sit just outside the automatic promotion places.
   Top scorer is Kristian Dennis who has had a hoast of clubs in non league, Scotish, and lower league clubs, but has always scored goals wherever he has played and has 13 already this season.
  So our much vaunted defence has something on their plate, and will no doubt remember the run around they had chasing shadows in that game at Carlisle, and will have to show better form than of late if we are to compete in this game.
  After our win last night at least we should come to the game in better fettle even though it was far from a convincing performance, and we looked easy to score against, and turned over in mid field.
  The first two goals last night for Rochdale were direct result of sloppy play in our own half by a poor pass from Close that got cut out and poor ball control by Seaman on the edge of our own box, we must stop the silly mistakes.
  Will we make changes, probably not, and really if not for injury after a win keep  it together for me and at least try and build something. This game I think we really have to step it up just to compete or we will get another thumping from a team who are confident and well drilled, and we will have to tighten our game up considerably to get anything out of the game.
   I think this game could be one of the beat of the season, what do you think?
   Can you  see changes being made?
   Are you looking forward to it?
   Can we stop the goals against flying in?
   Can we stop the other team from playing the way they want to? something we have rarely done this season.
   Is the game attractive enough to get you to go to the match?
  Lots to discuss about this game please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Carlisle United game
« Reply #1 on December 30, 2022, 01:46:40 pm by Chris Black come back »
They are on a decent run of form. Lost 1 in last 8 league games, 2-1 away at Northampton.  Have only lost 3 league games away all season to decent sides in Stevenage, Stockport and Northampton, all by a single goal bar 2-0 at Stockport. They’ve only drawn a blank twice on the road in the league, at Mansfield and Stockport.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 30, 2022, 02:05:53 pm by Upton Rover »
Very similar results to us in the last 10 league games W4 D3 L3 I saw them when they drew 3-3 with Harrogate and were very lucky to come away with a point, both teams will score but revenge will be sweet 3-1 rovers

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 30, 2022, 02:14:51 pm by Filo »
Play like the second half last night or the last 30 mins of the first half and we’ll take a heavy defeat

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 30, 2022, 02:17:08 pm by Canadian Rover »
Keep the same starting eleven unless there are injuries. I'd like to see Knoyle back on the right but don't see it happening.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 30, 2022, 02:49:09 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Miller badly needs a strike partner be it Agard or Woltman.

He’s chasing lost causes game after game, I thought we’d been ‘promised’ hoofball wouldn’t be part of our ‘tactics’ under DS?

I fear (as I said on another thread) a thumping defeat.

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 30, 2022, 03:28:07 pm by monkeytennis »
We are going to get thoroughly shanked unless there are radical changes made between now and then

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 30, 2022, 03:51:21 pm by selby »
It  looks like a hard game, and they have beaten us easily the last time we met.
   But it's another day, they are not infallible, and a game is never won until it is lost. we need attitude, confidence in our own ability and to give it a go.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 30, 2022, 03:59:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yep, nowt to lose. Go at em and see what happens.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 30, 2022, 04:02:07 pm by danumdon »
Looks a daunting prospect for us this in our current guise, what can DS do.

If he was of a mind to change it around(which i cannot see him do)with the bodies he has available and with the possibility of having Rowe back he could go for a conventional 442 with Maxwll, Anderson, William and Knoyle a midfield of Hurst, Close, Biggins and Moly with Miller up top and Rowe just playing off him in attack and dropping back to create a 5 in midfield when defending.

The more likely option is to stick with the team that played yesterday but if Rowe is fit then i would be tempted to use him in the centre back three on the left and move the other three over one place, this would allow Knoyle to play right wingback which would gives us additional attacking strength down the right, allowing Moly to push on and support Miller more.

Whatever DS decides to do he needs to instil the first 10mins of the last 2 games into the team and to ensure they maintain that level for as long as its required, anything less will lead to a defeat. I remember the reverse fixture and they closed us down so effectively that we looked 4 levels below them.

We need to be on it from the go but also need to play higher up the pitch, if DS has learnt anything about his squad then its this in spades.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 31, 2022, 12:28:31 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We need to make sure we get a good start in this one. Tighten up defensively but go for the win. Get some crosses into the box and shots on goal. I would play both wingers in this and try and get them on the ball as much as possible. If Biggins is going to play behind Miller he must support him on a regular basis. Miller needs good quality balls to him.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 31, 2022, 11:25:07 pm by Draytonian III »
Paul Simpson is the Carlisle United manager which a lot of people will know.
Gavin Skelton is the Carlisle United assistant manager/coach which quite a few people will know.
Gavin Skelton’s sister is Helen tv presenter, recently been starring on Strictly Come Dancing, not many people will admit to watching that, but she’s a bit of a MILF.

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 31, 2022, 11:34:08 pm by monkeytennis »
she’s a bit of a MILF.

Understatement of the year (and next year)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 01, 2023, 10:17:50 am by steve@dcfd »
Carlisle play 352 we need to match their midfield and workrate if we stand a chance to get anything out of this game

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 01, 2023, 10:33:53 am by deebee »
352 crikey we only have 11

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 01, 2023, 10:41:23 am by Campsall rover »
352 crikey we only have 11
Sometimes only 3 turn up.  ;)

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 01, 2023, 10:50:41 am by BigH »
At the risk of stating the obvious, I expect Carlisle to attack us down both flanks with Armer and Ellis being particularly busy exploiting the gaps between Knoyle, Maxwell and the back three. I also think they'll have too much for us in the middle of the park.

Also, look out for a neat training ground move. A free kick 'earned' in the area between the corner and the edge of the box, passed in low towards the penalty spot where Stretton will be waiting to fall over the leg of one of our defenders and earn a penalty.

0-3.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 01, 2023, 10:53:48 am by Canadian Rover »
Hope to see some pressing and energy. Get the ball out wide and let's show what we can do!! Too much worrying about the opposition.

Would love to see us go to a back 4 but don't see it happening under Danny. But energy and effort please!! And don't be scared to pick up a booking lads... In fact don't be scared to make a challenge!

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 01, 2023, 11:22:10 am by Thorney »
Just want to see some positive attacking play and not 90mins of slow passing around the back then hoof it to an isolated miller.

Hope to come away from the ground today saying that I have enjoyed a game of football.

But if I'm honest, I fear I will not

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 01, 2023, 12:07:51 pm by bobbymax »
At the risk of stating the obvious, I expect Carlisle to attack us down both flanks with Armer and Ellis being particularly busy exploiting the gaps between Knoyle, Maxwell and the back three. I also think they'll have too much for us in the middle of the park.

Also, look out for a neat training ground move. A free kick 'earned' in the area between the corner and the edge of the box, passed in low towards the penalty spot where Stretton will be waiting to fall over the leg of one of our defenders and earn a penalty.

0-3.
They picked up a few bad injuries on Thursday, I think Ellis was one of them.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 01, 2023, 12:22:37 pm by BigH »

0-3.
Good news! Hopefully, that and a long journey down will throw them off their game.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 01, 2023, 12:23:23 pm by anton123 »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 01, 2023, 12:23:45 pm by Filo »

0-3.

Stretton was also one injured

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 01, 2023, 12:44:27 pm by BigH »
At this rate we might even have a chance!

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 01, 2023, 01:06:01 pm by i_ateallthepies »

0-3.
Good news! Hopefully, that and a long journey down will throw them off their game.

For Carlisle, just about every away fixture they have involves a long journey down.  They may even consider us very nearly a local derby   :cool: :scarf:

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 01, 2023, 05:04:08 pm by bpoolrover »
Brilliant all round today attacking football and winning the midfield battle well done

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 01, 2023, 05:12:21 pm by Chris Black come back »
Great performance and great result.

That’s now 4 clean sheets in 24 league games. In 84pc of league games we concede a goal.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 01, 2023, 05:18:26 pm by Lesonthewest »
That was like a breath of fresh air, skill, pace, determination, desire, second balls, not letting Carlisle settle on the ball. Great result & performance, well donelads. would be nice to put a run together now.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 05:20:42 pm by Lesonthewest »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 01, 2023, 05:22:10 pm by dickos1 »
Lot of humble pie needs consuming in this thread.

Clean sheets I don’t care about,
If we keep scoring goals and winning then it doesn’t really matter what we concede.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 01, 2023, 05:28:22 pm by NickDRFC »
Haha I was wondering which would come first - Dickos calling out doubters or CBCB bringing up our clean sheet record.

CBCB wins by a nose!

Really good watch today and that’s up there with Stevenage for me as our best performance under Schofield, arguably even better (particularly with the result). Hopefully we can build on this and have a fit centre half come in to allow Knoyle to move back to RWB by the Orient game.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012