Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:54:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: IAN LAWLOR  (Read 9551 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: IAN LAWLOR
« Reply #150 on May 23, 2023, 06:29:02 pm by scawsby steve »
If Richard Wood signs, Lawlor having to come for crosses won't be as much of an issue. Wood will be one of the best CBs in League 2 for defending crosses, and every other aspect of Lawlor's game is decent, especially his distribution.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on May 23, 2023, 06:47:12 pm by Chris Black come back »
I get all this but people giving him a free pass on what is a very basic competency for a keeper. We are back again into lowering our expectations. Having a decent, solid but not spectacular keeper who can do the basics relatively well consistently is not too much of an ask. Accepting that a professional keeper is basically a write off when it comes to taking a high ball is madness.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #152 on May 23, 2023, 07:13:11 pm by Campsall rover »
I get all this but people giving him a free pass on what is a very basic competency for a keeper. We are back again into lowering our expectations. Having a decent, solid but not spectacular keeper who can do the basics relatively well consistently is not too much of an ask. Accepting that a professional keeper is basically a write off when it comes to taking a high ball is madness.
Let’s hope he has improved that part of his game.
Dundee May have a very decent keeper. Because he wasn’t 1st choice doesn’t mean he is no good.
GM isn’t an idiot is he.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on May 23, 2023, 07:16:13 pm by scawsby steve »

On that basis, how wise was it to have Gary Woods as keeper in 2012/13? He wasn't very good, but we still won the league, mainly because he had such a solid defence in front of him.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on May 23, 2023, 07:44:20 pm by Chris Black come back »
It wasn’t wise! We all said that. But he had a one-off and break defence in front of him.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on May 23, 2023, 07:45:32 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
He isn’t going to be good at everything , if he was he would be in the premier league. You get players that compliment each other and cover each others weaknesses, that’s what good teams do.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #156 on May 23, 2023, 08:19:05 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Let’s hope he has improved that part of his game.
Dundee May have a very decent keeper. Because he wasn’t 1st choice doesn’t mean he is no good.
GM isn’t an idiot is he.

Adam Legzdins is the Dundee #1 keeper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Legzdins

Final sentence inwiki:

Legzdins would return to being Dundee's starting goalie throughout the second half of the season and played a key role in helping the Dark Blues win the Scottish Championship and return to the top flight.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on May 23, 2023, 08:38:06 pm by danumdon »
I think some on here need a reality check with their views on this, Rome wasn't built in a day and we had to start somewhere, most people here will accept we start from a stronger position from last season with IL.

The fact we can now back up his position with a centre half of the calibre of Wood starts to make the jigsaw look in a much better state. I'd now imagine that any keeper we put between the posts next season will not have half as much grief to deal with as the recent incumbents had.

That in itself is progress.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #158 on May 23, 2023, 08:55:37 pm by Chris Black come back »
That’s true but we don’t have to compromise. We are not looking to sign Alisson or Ederson. Just a solid and competent keeper who can do the basics well. Including dealing with the high ball in a vaguely convincing manner.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on May 23, 2023, 09:42:56 pm by dickos1 »
That’s true but we don’t have to compromise. We are not looking to sign Alisson or Ederson. Just a solid and competent keeper who can do the basics well. Including dealing with the high ball in a vaguely convincing manner.

f**k me, how many posts do you want to make to say you’re not happy with this goalkeeper. One would’ve done.

McCann has worked with him and has deemed him good enough that’s enough for me

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on May 24, 2023, 08:02:00 am by ForsolongaRover »

f**k me, how many posts do you want to make to say you’re not happy with this goalkeeper. One would’ve done.

…balanced by an equal number of those whose expectations are met. Admit it’s 50:50 or thereabouts.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on May 24, 2023, 08:05:02 am by Metalmicky »

I make it around 15 posts in this thread.... when one could have done. 
The trouble is if you persist too much, people start to ignore you.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #162 on May 24, 2023, 08:07:59 am by Alan Southstand »
NEXT!

An old Tommy Cooper joke, for the younger readers

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on May 24, 2023, 04:20:22 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

do we all remember when Fergie got rid of our german goalie who was an excellent shop stopper

he traded "shop stopping"  for let's call it "ball distribution "

McCann wants him (a) for his long kick and (b) foot skills and possibly (c) the ability for him to throw the ball out quickly to a player.

For home matches he can be taught to throw the ball out to an exact point to one of our players (maybe he has this skill already ?) - say a foot away from a certain advert - the goalie can spend all day in training throwing to a certain point   -

you simply put a bucket at an angle with your goalkeeping coach and throw at it --eventually he will be able to do it  - and i know sod all about being a goalkeeping coach !!

I have just checked and he is 6 foot 4 ----- i actually wanted a goalie 6 foot 5 -- but that will do ----  height is everything -full stop

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on August 08, 2023, 10:05:11 pm by Ryaldinhio »
After all the concerns on this, Lawlor could be the signing of the window for us!

Another outstanding display.

In Grant we trust!!!!!! And those that doubted should trust!!!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 10:09:37 pm by Ryaldinhio »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #165 on August 08, 2023, 10:08:43 pm by dickos1 »
Yep,
A fair bit of humble pie needs serving up to a few on here

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on August 08, 2023, 10:09:25 pm by ncRover »
Fair enough he’s proving me wrong!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on August 08, 2023, 10:10:10 pm by mushRTID »
Me being one, it’s football we’re not all experts but are allowed an opinion.

However there were also some who said we wouldn’t get better than Mitchell in league two. An even stranger opinion lol

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on August 08, 2023, 10:32:58 pm by Ryaldinhio »
Me being one, it’s football we’re not all experts but are allowed an opinion.

However there were also some who said we wouldn’t get better than Mitchell in league two. An even stranger opinion lol

Haha! Yeah, fair do, although when I said that the board were backing Schofield and at that point I couldn't see us getting anyone better and stand by that!!!

What a change this club has seen in the last few months!

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #169 on August 08, 2023, 10:35:29 pm by 5minstogo »
Happy to hold my hands up. He's been excellent so far

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #170 on August 08, 2023, 10:41:04 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Yep,

I've seen Ironside wrote off by people after one game, can we stop with the knee jerk opinions of players after one or two games.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on August 09, 2023, 12:02:24 am by pib »
So far so good Lawlor. Very impressive again tonight. Always thought he was alright to begin with in truth.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #172 on August 09, 2023, 06:18:04 am by dickos1 »
Yep,

I've seen Ironside wrote off by people after one game, can we stop with the knee jerk opinions of players after one or two games.

I think we just trust the manager that he knows what he’s doing. Baffled me that people thought even though mcCann had worked with him before they were still doubting the judgment

TinyPortal © 2005-2012