Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:52:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: IAN LAWLOR  (Read 9549 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: IAN LAWLOR
« Reply #60 on May 22, 2023, 08:17:27 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Well, the GM love-in didn't last long. One signing and people doubting his judgement already.

Let's just wait a bit.

To be fair he made 6 decent signings out of 13 last time. Not an amazing record.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on May 22, 2023, 08:20:35 pm by Cramby10 »
F**king pathetic. The reaction to this signing that is. You all really need to give your heads a wobble. Who do you think we are? We’re in league 2. We won league 2 with him here. He’s older, he’s wiser and if he’s good enough for GM then he’s good enough for me.
If this is the start of everyone’s reaction to everything Grant does then we’re doomed for failure. We have to contribute to the positivity.
If everyone on his back from the start then the f**kwits out there will make him a bag of nerves and that suits no one.
He’s a steady stopper for me and if this helps us spend bigger on a proper midfield and attack then so be it.
To the bloke who thought Marosi was better you’ve made yourself look foolish with that alone.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on May 22, 2023, 08:22:37 pm by Campsall rover »
Holy crap. I'd rather have kept Mitchell. He epitomises everything that is wrong with basic keeping.

He hardly ever came for crosses. Sometimes gesturing to go for them only to back off. There's nothing worse from a centre half's perspective not knowing whether your keeper is coming or staying put. I really had to question why he bothered wearing cloves. Like a wicket keeper who doesn't catch a ball.

He doesn't command his area but shouts and waves his arms alot. A real panic merchant throwing himself about like a headless chicken.

I really thought we'd seen the back of him.

Not a good start.
I hate to have to agree with you DBR.
Unless he has improved since he was last with us then this is indeed a very baffling signing by GM
He was awful on crosses, good shot stopper.
Mitchell up until the last 2 months when his confidence nose dived was far far better on crosses than Lawlor ever was when he was last here.
I hope GM has done his home work on this one if he is to be no 1 keeper.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on May 22, 2023, 08:23:46 pm by Chris Black come back »
F**king pathetic. The reaction to this signing that is. You all really need to give your heads a wobble. Who do you think we are? We’re in league 2. We won league 2 with him here. He’s older, he’s wiser and if he’s good enough for GM then he’s good enough for me.
If this is the start of everyone’s reaction to everything Grant does then we’re doomed for failure. We have to contribute to the positivity.
If everyone on his back from the start then the f**kwits out there will make him a bag of nerves and that suits no one.
He’s a steady stopper for me and if this helps us spend bigger on a proper midfield and attack then so be it.
To the bloke who thought Marosi was better you’ve made yourself look foolish with that alone.

We didn’t win League Two, as the guy who signed him fumbled the title when it was easier to win it in 2016/17.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on May 22, 2023, 08:24:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
In the 19 league appearances he made in the 2016/17 promotion season, he kept 5 clean sheets.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on May 22, 2023, 08:27:40 pm by mushRTID »
From what I remember he was a better keeper then than Mitchell now.

And taking his words on face value that he has improved then it might not be the end of the world on reflection.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on May 22, 2023, 08:31:19 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Maybe McCann signed him for his distribution qualities. If we're getting the ball out quicker and moving forwards he'll have fewer shots to save!

Another area that Mitchell is statistically better in.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on May 22, 2023, 08:32:50 pm by Spud »
F**king pathetic. The reaction to this signing that is. You all really need to give your heads a wobble. Who do you think we are? We’re in league 2. We won league 2 with him here. He’s old
er, he’s wiser and if he’s good enough for GM then he’s good enough for me.

Wow, calm down fella.
We've signed a bench warming keeper from the Scottish Championship, we're a bit underwhelmed, that's all.
Nobody's throwing anybody under a bus, not like when we signed Hartlepool's reserve keeper.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on May 22, 2023, 08:33:06 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Maybe McCann signed him for his distribution qualities. If we're getting the ball out quicker and moving forwards he'll have fewer shots to save!

Another area that Mitchell is statistically better in.

I remember lawlor having good distribution didn't he? Mitchell's weakness was with the ball at his feet (as well as other mistakes).

This is clearly McCann's number one, if he wasn't sure he wouldn't have signed him this quickly.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on May 22, 2023, 08:34:53 pm by Campsall rover »
Cramby.
Yes we have to trust GM I agree. We also need to get behind all the new players. No one should be condemned before they have even kicked a ball or saved a shot as in the case of Ian Lawlor.

But have you forgotten how awful he was on crosses when last at DRFC.  For a man of his size and stature he should have dominated his 6 yd box on crosses. He was very hesitant & indecisive to say the least and that is something that gives me considerable concern.
It is obvious judging by many posts on here that I am not the only one who recalls him flapping at crosses on a regular basis.

Now he maybe coming as a no 2 so that makes reasonable sense. If he is going to be 1st choice then we must assume and hope he has improved considerably since he departed us a few years ago.

But I understand everyone’s concern 100% I do.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on May 22, 2023, 08:37:37 pm by ncRover »
Cramby.
Yes we have to trust GM I agree. We also need to get behind all the new players. No one should be condemned before they have even kicked a ball or saved a shot as in the case of Ian Lawlor.

But have you forgotten how awful he was on crosses when last at DRFC.  For a man of his size and stature he should have dominated his 6 yd box on crosses. He was very hesitant & indecisive to say the least and that is something that gives me considerable concern.
It is obvious judging by many posts on here that I am not the only one who recalls him flapping at crosses on a regular basis.

Now he maybe coming as a no 2 so that makes reasonable sense. If he is going to be 1st choice then we must assume and hope he has improved considerably since he departed us a few years ago.

But I understand everyone’s concern 100% I do.

He may say himself he has improved but his career trajectory says otherwise. Happy for him to prove me wrong but we should be over wishful thinking after the last 2.5 years.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on May 22, 2023, 08:47:19 pm by GazLaz »

Marosi was much better and has proved that after he left us.

Lawlor was a big player in the fact we finished 3rd in a 1 horse race in 2017. After he came in a form dipped.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on May 22, 2023, 08:49:04 pm by scawsby steve »
Well, the GM love-in didn't last long. One signing and people doubting his judgement already.

Let's just wait a bit.

To be fair he made 6 decent signings out of 13 last time. Not an amazing record.

So if you're right, why the love-in from so many people, and why the rocketing of ST sales?

It seems some people are obviously judging him on one signing.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on May 22, 2023, 08:50:26 pm by GazLaz »
We either trust the manager or we piss and whine about everything he does.
Embarrassing response on here

It’s a football forum, commenting on football decisions is what it’s designed for!

You can’t think this is a good signing surely?? He was poor in his last spell, horrific at Oldham and didn’t really get a look in in Scotland. We are relying on some miracle improvement here.

Peebles Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on May 22, 2023, 09:00:17 pm by Peebles Rover »
Strange one. A friend of mine who is a Dundee fan, said he was very poor for them. Was he not pretty poor at catching crosses or am I confusing him with someone else?

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on May 22, 2023, 09:02:48 pm by Cramby10 »
Warrington, Ingham, Jones, Turner, Seremet, Blayney, Budtz, Filan, Smith, Sullivan, Woods, Kirkland, Button, Ikeme, Johnstone, Turnbull, Marosi, Steer, Bywater, Neal, Matthews, Stuckmann, Etheridge, Lawlor, Dieng, Lumley, Bursik, Jones, Balcombe, Dahlberg, Mitchell and Moore.
Look at this list of keepers since our return to the FL. Of the permanent keepers there’s only Sulli that hasn’t been called out and slagged off by fans on here or in the stands. And even only a few of the loans, Johnstone Dieng Ikeme Filan,  have escaped the fans wrath. We seem to hound every keeper out the joint.
We have to remember where we are. We’re in the lower leagues and here, keepers make mistakes. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be here. Sadly when a keeper makes a mistake, it invariably leads to a goal. But we have to take the blinkers off and be more understanding. When an outfield player drops a clanger, it’s quickly forgotten as they probably get away with it.
Let’s not hound Ian out before he’s started. Again.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on May 22, 2023, 09:05:48 pm by Upton Rover »
What are you all expecting? We’re in L2 and he’s 10times better than Mitchel, welcome back

Peebles Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on May 22, 2023, 09:06:17 pm by Peebles Rover »
Comment from my Dundee mate: Bloody hell, and you were buzzing with your new manager too. He was awful for us, couldn’t get a game in the Scots champ

Peebles Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on May 22, 2023, 09:06:43 pm by Peebles Rover »
But from what I recall I’d prefer him to Mitchell

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on May 22, 2023, 09:07:30 pm by ncRover »
Would Bradford, MK, Notts, Wrexham, Forest Green, Accrington Stanley, Swindon, Colchester or Gillingham have signed Lawlor?

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on May 22, 2023, 09:08:20 pm by Upton Rover »
I’ve got to agree with you on this one, tbh it’s a good signing for a mediocre L2 team

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on May 22, 2023, 09:08:43 pm by jmt23 »
I’d say this is Grant is utilising the budget to get what he can, as cheap as possible, and in this case he knows and trusts him, so a calculated gamble.

He will be looking to spend the greater amounts on key outfield areas.
Protection of the keeper with quality in defence and midfield, as well as the most expensive signings (strikers) should help with any deficiencies in the keeper area. Then we build again next year, hopefully in a league above.

A quality keeper is worth his weight in gold, but when a team is so bereft of quality, it would naturally be the last area you would look at ( in my opinion)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on May 22, 2023, 09:09:35 pm by Canadian Rover »

It’s a football forum, commenting on football decisions is what it’s designed for!

You can’t think this is a good signing surely?? He was poor in his last spell, horrific at Oldham and didn’t really get a look in in Scotland. We are relying on some miracle improvement here.

Or maybe relying on Jones too?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on May 22, 2023, 09:10:29 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Gary Woods was 1st choice in a pretty good team despite been a poor keeper. Hopefully he’s a back up keeper but if he is 1st choice it’s been done before.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on May 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Let's just wait a bit.

So if you're right, why the love-in from so many people, and why the rocketing of ST sales?

It seems some people are obviously judging him on one signing.

He can be a decent manager and play decent football despite having an average record when making signings...

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on May 22, 2023, 09:15:23 pm by Nudga »
I’d say this is Grant is utilising the budget to get what he can, as cheap as possible, and in this case he knows and trusts him, so a calculated gamble.

He will be looking to spend the greater amounts on key outfield areas.
Protection of the keeper with quality in defence and midfield, as well as the most expensive signings (strikers) should help with any deficiencies in the keeper area. Then we build again next year, hopefully in a league above.

A quality keeper is worth his weight in gold, but when a team is so bereft of quality, it would naturally be the last area you would look at ( in my opinion)

100% this.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on May 22, 2023, 09:18:17 pm by Goole Rover »
And a warm Donny welcome Ian! Damned before you start, poor lad.
As I've said many times before "we're doomed I sa we're doomed.
I bet the first thing this lot do when opening the paper is look at the obituaries. Come on the blokes only just taken over give him a chance.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on May 22, 2023, 09:21:13 pm by Cramby10 »

Let's just wait a bit.

And so it begins….

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on May 22, 2023, 09:22:57 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Let's just wait a bit.

And so it begins….

What?

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on May 22, 2023, 09:23:35 pm by Upton Rover »
Comment from my Dundee mate: Bloody hell, and you were buzzing with your new manager too. He was awful for us, couldn’t get a game in the Scots champ
He played a total of 13 games, so your mate can judge that he’s awful in them 13 games? I would have to give a player a lot more games before I could consider them to be awful, I remember his 1st game at the keepmoat, he pulled off some amazing saves and won us the match.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012