Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:47:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Forest Green Rovers game  (Read 9100 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Forest Green Rovers game
« Reply #120 on September 17, 2023, 11:57:19 am by selby »
  Hurst will have to stay off the pickles and beer then.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on September 17, 2023, 12:20:49 pm by ncRover »
Hurst apparently had a build up of lactic acid in his thigh, which Grant reckons will be short term.

I’m skeptical on this one.

Hurst is a professional athlete and played 13 minutes last weekend. Lactic acid is a short term by product of intense anaerobic exercise (e.g sprints). It is soon metabolised and cleared up by the body.

Even if Hurst wasn’t ok and he hasn’t recovered, then how was he not from 13 mins of a match and a few days training?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 01:00:57 pm by ncRover »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on September 17, 2023, 12:23:33 pm by Chris Black come back »
McCann is on Twitter. Drop him a message.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on September 17, 2023, 01:57:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hurst apparently had a build up of lactic acid in his thigh, which Grant reckons will be short term.

Hurst is a professional athlete and played 13 minutes last weekend. Lactic acid is a short term by product of intense anaerobic exercise (e.g sprints). It is soon metabolised and cleared up by the body.

Even if Hurst wasn’t ok and he hasn’t recovered, then how was he not from 13 mins of a match and a few days training?

How hard do you think they work in training?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on September 17, 2023, 02:15:14 pm by ncRover »

How hard do you think they work in training?

It must be like SAS selection with all these injuries then!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on September 17, 2023, 02:21:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I just mean it's not unreasonable for someone who's been injured for weeks to have a bit of soreness after full training. And that it's more likely to be due to the training rather than the cameo last week.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on September 17, 2023, 06:10:25 pm by scawsby steve »
Let’s not kid ourselves with our first win of the season today even albeit away. We could easily have been 3-1 down at half time.

Our defence is not a solid ‘unit’ & that’s being kind. Olowu always appears to be an accident waiting to happen, I don’t understand GM’s seeming reluctance to play Faulkner alongside Anderson. Anderson has more experience in that central defensive role & again today was comfortable in bringing the ball out of defence to the half way line & laying it off to Molyneaux, but Bobby is well capable of sitting in there to allow Tom to do that. Plus, we know he can win heading battles & can bring the ball out of defence & pick a pass.

Joe struggles with all of that in my honest opinion.

We nicked a win today against a very poor team.

I’ll take that if GM can convince the players it is a turning point.

I’ll keep my powder dry.

We were on about Faulkner in the trip down, the only reason I can see him for not getting a shot over olowu is probably down to a contract stand off? I can’t remember if his contract is up this season but I would suspect they don’t want to put him in the shop window and lose him for next to nothing in the summer when I believe his contract is up?

Only logical option in my eyes

Beyond that, we rode our luck yesterday (about time) the lads aren’t the finished item, I think deep down we all knew this season would be a season of building to ramp up for next season, a wins a win, we’ve broken the taboo now this season and we did it with 2 really good goals

Put it behind us and look at the next challenge. As of next week I think we’ve faced 6 of the top 9 in the league so easier times may be ahead

No, we didn't all know that this season would be a season of building, because that wasn't the message coming from the club, and if it had have been, we wouldn't have shifted 5000 STs. You can't just write a season off.

If we just miss out on the play-offs, we could have a chance of something next season, but if it's another poor finish, I question the amount of STs we'll sell for next term, whether Terry will put any more money in, and even whether Grant and Cliff will want to stay.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on September 17, 2023, 06:52:24 pm by Chris Black come back »
It could change, it absolutely could. But we are not going to score many goals and the defence is not great and shows little sign of improving. You need at least one of those to get into top half ideally over course of a season, and ideally both.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on September 17, 2023, 08:10:03 pm by drfchound »
Did you seen the misspelt name on Nixon’s team shirt yesterday …amazing !

No mate, I didn’t. What was the wording please.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on September 17, 2023, 08:18:22 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Let’s not kid ourselves with our first win of the season today even albeit away. We could easily have been 3-1 down at half time.

Our defence is not a solid ‘unit’ & that’s being kind. Olowu always appears to be an accident waiting to happen, I don’t understand GM’s seeming reluctance to play Faulkner alongside Anderson. Anderson has more experience in that central defensive role & again today was comfortable in bringing the ball out of defence to the half way line & laying it off to Molyneaux, but Bobby is well capable of sitting in there to allow Tom to do that. Plus, we know he can win heading battles & can bring the ball out of defence & pick a pass.

Joe struggles with all of that in my honest opinion.

We nicked a win today against a very poor team.

I’ll take that if GM can convince the players it is a turning point.

I’ll keep my powder dry.

We were on about Faulkner in the trip down, the only reason I can see him for not getting a shot over olowu is probably down to a contract stand off? I can’t remember if his contract is up this season but I would suspect they don’t want to put him in the shop window and lose him for next to nothing in the summer when I believe his contract is up?

Only logical option in my eyes

Beyond that, we rode our luck yesterday (about time) the lads aren’t the finished item, I think deep down we all knew this season would be a season of building to ramp up for next season, a wins a win, we’ve broken the taboo now this season and we did it with 2 really good goals

Put it behind us and look at the next challenge. As of next week I think we’ve faced 6 of the top 9 in the league so easier times may be ahead

No, we didn't all know that this season would be a season of building, because that wasn't the message coming from the club, and if it had have been, we wouldn't have shifted 5000 STs. You can't just write a season off.

If we just miss out on the play-offs, we could have a chance of something next season, but if it's another poor finish, I question the amount of STs we'll sell for next term, whether Terry will put any more money in, and even whether Grant and Cliff will want to stay.

I’m sure you’ll also remember that the club have made ambitious promises about previous season’s expectations and instead of making realistic reassessments from time to time, they have been totally silent as objectives begin to fade away. A serious plan would include telling us what the milestones would be and giving progress reports, but you wonder whether they really do have a plan or whether it is just window dressing. It would also require confessing to mistakes which has seemed anathema for rather a long time now.

I can understand why a lot of fans are forgiving, but those are not the ones who have been lost over recent years, but I think is unprofessional when the club fail to even provide comment on where their plans went wrong. It does suggest that they don’t examine what happened along the way that skewed the execution. If they were seriously committed to Project Management they would be able to comment and perhaps learn from their previous mistakes which recently have been rather profound. Whatever some may say to excuse Baldwin from responsibility for the “football” side of Club Doncaster, he is the CEO and I suggest that fulfilling business objectives should be a priority, especially as it was him who has announced them (at least once) and to which he must commit in his position.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on September 18, 2023, 11:53:27 am by roversdude »
What was that slop they were trying to give away on Saturday. A (proper) burger van near the ground could be a goldmine around there lol

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on September 18, 2023, 12:18:21 pm by swintonrover »
What was that slop they were trying to give away on Saturday. A (proper) burger van near the ground could be a goldmine around there lol

vegan hoisin duck, vegan kebab and vegan ice cream. I'm a yorkshireman, won't turn owt down for free.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on September 18, 2023, 04:48:21 pm by Donnywolf »
I came back with Tinnitus because the Wheely bin next to where I was sitting was banging down every minute as ( mainly ) those small cartons of tasteless strips got dropped in there

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on September 18, 2023, 04:56:41 pm by Mike_F »
The Vegan Duck tasted really powdery, like a flour and water mixture with a bit of sauce that was nothing like hoi sin. Very disappointing.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on September 18, 2023, 05:14:12 pm by roversdude »
What gets me is why call it duck or chicken etc when they are trying to get away from animals.
Also don’t know what it was like for the players but the advertising board for the false milk when that came on i couldn’t see anything on the pitch

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on September 20, 2023, 10:41:42 am by Donnywolf »

3 of us were at FGR and we conferred last night and 2 of us hadn't noticed anything amiss and Nixon was right in front of us at one point

Man 3 said he was sure it said Nixon as well but seemed to think there was a space in the name on the Shirt where an erroneous letter might have been Nix(s)on maybe but we are none the wiser

Could be the spotter maybe saw Nixon and thought that wasn't how his name was spelt

Nixon gate . Come on someone put us out of our misery lol

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on September 20, 2023, 11:16:08 am by Reg of the Rovers »

3 of us were at FGR and we conferred last night and 2 of us hadn't noticed anything amiss and Nixon was right in front of us at one point

Man 3 said he was sure it said Nixon as well but seemed to think there was a space in the name on the Shirt where an erroneous letter might have been Nix(s)on maybe but we are none the wiser

Could be the spotter maybe saw Nixon and thought that wasn't how his name was spelt

Nixon gate . Come on someone put us out of our misery lol
Stop getting your Nixon in a twist!

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on September 20, 2023, 07:15:47 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
I finally saw the goals from the Forest Green game today

fact 1 - the first would grace a World Cup Final and

fact 2   depending whether the player wore an old Brazil shirt so would the second.

makes up for those two flukey goals Wrexham scored

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on September 20, 2023, 07:45:25 pm by scawsby steve »
I finally saw the goals from the Forest Green game today

fact 1 - the first would grace a World Cup Final and

fact 2   depending whether the player wore an old Brazil shirt so would the second.

makes up for those two flukey goals Wrexham scored

Could fact 2 be referring to Ronaldinho's winning goal against England in the 2002 WC quarter-final?

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on September 23, 2023, 09:39:16 pm by Butchers Red »
As I’ve said from day one of this season and the one thing I disagreed with Grant is the midfield. Close Biggins Westbrooke are not the right players for this league. We have two up and coming in Broadbent and Bailey who will come good if we had better players playing along side them. Then we come to Molyneux who again is failing to produce looks good but does nothing. Yes we have conceded 14 goals some have come from defensive mistakes. But there teams higher up the league that have conceded more by have scored more. If we were like Gillingham then we would be top of the league who have scored 5 conceded 5 so there are different ways to get up this league. Our biggest problem is midfield and as been for two/ three seasons
We set off this season playing 433 yet we haven’t got 3 midfield players capable of taking on midfielders in this league and coming out on top.

Well to be fair ........ especially Close and to a lesser extent Westbrooke are like Mohammed Ali once described an opponent ......."Dances like a butterfly.....and stings like one"

Last few games Westbrooke has looked ok in an almost quarter back role , similarly so did Clayton for a few games early last season, trouble is word get's round quickly and I'm expecting in the few games we'll see teams high press him and from that point he's nullified as Clayton was and got nothing else to offer.

Biggins is ok for me and Molyneux has been vastly improved, especially against Everton so I don't think the midfield is as bad as you say to be fair.

MMM where do I start ?

Take a bow Ben Close and Zain Westbrooke today - both tore the Gills a new arsehole and I've ordered 2 8 by 4 sheets of plywood to board my mouth up.

Simply brilliant lads

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on September 23, 2023, 09:56:33 pm by RoversInSpain »
At times they were lovely to watch today.
Slick, I would say.
Is a big dark horrible cloud just starting to lift.
Thought Westbrooke almost started to morph into Brian Stock at some points…

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on September 24, 2023, 06:21:54 pm by drfchound »
At times they were lovely to watch today.
Slick, I would say.
Is a big dark horrible cloud just starting to lift.
Thought Westbrooke almost started to morph into Brian Stock at some points…

That last bit …….. is very high praise indeed.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on September 24, 2023, 06:47:31 pm by roversdude »
You do know there is a Gillingham thread lol

TinyPortal © 2005-2012