Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:49:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Barrow game  (Read 6070 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Barrow game
« on September 24, 2023, 05:38:41 pm by selby »
  Nobody can deny we have had our best weeks results for quite a while, the attitude and emotions of the crowd as we left the stadium completely different to just a few weeks ago on this forum and at games, and is just the boost the club in general needed.
  We played well, the team played some good football, and the winning goal would have graced any game of football in the world with its explosive speed and the timing of a winner in a game seemingly destined to be a draw, hence the happy atmosphere and smiling faces when we left the stadium.
  Now we are in a position we have to try and build on in a game v Barrow a team that blew us away early last season, showed us up for what we were, a poor side, and had players and runners with pace  in wide areas that just ran past Long and Rowe as if they were stood still, and we had one of our first glimpses of how our team last season and the beginning of this also have constantly been unable to deal with players in their faces, physical, and can tackle and keep the pace of the game to their liking.
  We have just done our treble against teams long recognised as EFL teams play relatively open football, are likely to build from the back, and generally play at a more sedate pace, confident in their technical ability. Forget that next week, and expect our toughest test for a couple of weeks, and welcome to fast raiders, physical play and the ball circulated forward quickly with fast chasers trying to turn defenders.
 Can we cope?  a big question, we have not for quite a while, and we now need to start doing so, and will most likely have to do so to take anything from this game.
  For some reason Barrow have only played two of their Eight games at home and sit 13th in our division on twelve points a good return for a difficult start mostly away from home and yesterday they ran Mansfield very close playing well according to reports but losing 1-0 and proving hard to break down against one of the fancied teams in the division.
  This game really does depend on what we play like, fold like in the past against a certain style of play and we will be rolled over, stand up to a slightly different approach to how the game is played and we will have really improved and turned a corner.
    Can we compete in mid field? we have the ability, Have we the determination?
     We now have good competition in the squad in most positions, I would injury apart make no or as few changes as possible myself, Would you?
     Have you regained your enthusiasm with the results this past week?
      Are you travelling to the game?
      Lot's to discuss about the game, what do you think? please have your say

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

adamtherover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Barrow game
« Reply #1 on September 24, 2023, 05:47:38 pm by adamtherover »
Coming out of the ground last nite, my son's first question was how far is it to barrow?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 08:34:57 pm by adamtherover »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 24, 2023, 07:35:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
For some reason they have barely played at home this season in the league. Just two home league games. A win against Sutton United and a draw against Wrexham. Seems pretty good home form. Some decent players in their squad. Robbie Gotts, Dom Telford, James Chester. Will be a tough game.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 08:23:58 pm by Chris Black come back »

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 24, 2023, 08:13:52 pm by danumdon »
Will be a difficult game for us as we have seemed to struggle against thie type of side in the past but then we were saying the same thing before the Gills game yesterday, i see no reason why we can't frustrate and out think Barrow also.

We need to start to build a settled formation even if the personnel has to change through injury, ect. I would like to see some defensive strength added alongside Close and Westbrooke, could be either Broadbent or Bailey if Senior is back.

Up front we need something a little more reliable and consistent than Faal alongside Ironside, could be Rowe or Moly.

If we can maintain our defensive shape and keep them to minimal chances we could profit with sharp counter attacking play if we can play the higher line and not drift too deep when under pressure.

Momentum is everything and we now have some to hold onto.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 24, 2023, 08:17:45 pm by selby »
CBcb, your right it will not be easy, but we can make a statement next week and kick the thoughts down the road that we are an easy touch in a battle.
  Against Everton and to a degree Gillingham we were up against teams that fancied their chances at out footballing us. Hull, Sheffield Wednesday the same, MK Dons at half time seemingly the light bulb moment when we realised we could challenge teams and challenge them for a result.
  Against Forest Green another team that play a more basic game we rode our luck and struggled to contain a not so good side who played a much more direct physical and aerial game the same with Newport, Harrogate, even York and even going back to Kings Lynn, against all of them we were weak, bustled off the ball and found very much wanting when it came to hard graft and character, especially in mid field.
  I now expect better if we are to carry on our recent improvement.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 24, 2023, 08:20:07 pm by Donnywolf »
I remember what you highlighted Selby , they ripped us to bits down each flank

Blame me for the defeat though because I turned to Raithy after 15 minutes and said " this is promising , we are going to do well "

We didn't

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 24, 2023, 08:29:25 pm by Campsall rover »
Brian I don’t think you could call Gillingham a good footballing side,that tied to out football us.
They are a big physical team that focus on getting the ball into the penalty area as quickly and often as possible.
Strong on set pieces
Typical Harris team and most of his predecessors also played that way.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 24, 2023, 08:33:59 pm by steve@dcfd »
If Senior is fit then play left defender move Bailey into midfield with Close and Rowe would be my change

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 24, 2023, 08:47:54 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
No Westbrooke?

Rowe doesn’t come back in imo he’s on the bench.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 24, 2023, 08:49:15 pm by NickDRFC »
For some reason they have barely played at home this season in the league. Just two home league games. A win against Sutton United and a draw against Wrexham. Seems pretty good home form. Some decent players in their squad. Robbie Gotts, Dom Telford, James Chester. Will be a tough game.

Dom Telford has had a weird last year and a bit. In the League Two team of the year for 21/22 after scoring 25 odd goals for Newport. Surely had a number of more high profile sides after him but signed on for the cryptocurrency at Crawley and then after a reasonable return in a struggling team moved to on to Barrow.

Gotts is a decent player, didn’t realise they’d signed Chester though, he must be knocking on a bit now but will still be a tough opponent.

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 24, 2023, 09:39:30 pm by WarwickRover »
I don't know what performance we will get next week. On the one hand we could perform and get a draw or win, on the other hand we could loose. No S**T shirlock. I think we are riding our luck (recognising we have not had much).One thing that concerns me is that we are not effective at stopping cross from wide positions. I get, perhaps it is not best to 'lunge' in and make a challenge, best wait for the player to make a mistake ( on the basis that we are not player against the most technical players). What I don't get is that there were numerous occasions yesterday, especially in the first half, we had two players covering a wide player but their player was  successful in getting a cross in....... woeful ...... but have i got this wrong or simply I'm a dinosaur?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 25, 2023, 08:46:15 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Tough place to go, my first away game this season too. I wonder if we'll change approach for this one or stick with the back 5?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 25, 2023, 09:47:41 am by selby »
  BFYP, I don't really see a need for a change in our approach unless the management have a specific reason to counter act Barrows set up.
  We have a squad now that looks more capable of playing the game when the bench is stronger and the manager has the trust in the players to come into the game and make a contribution without upsetting the rhythm of the game, not something we can say we have been capable of in the last few seasons.
  Every substitute contributed to the result on Saturday Broadbent and Ironside especially, and Faulkner made a crucial headed clearance in the few minutes he was on, the manager trusting him to come on and shore up the defence at a crucial time.
  So good game management by the manager and staff, well played all the players on the day, a small change in our line up for the last few minutes in defence of a lead, and a complete improvement on the substitutions we witnessed in the last few seasons  if you think back to the alternatives we had then.
  Will Ironside start over Faal is probably the only starting change I would consider, and if so Faal would still be in my thoughts as a possible game changer, with experience he is going to be a handful, and is a threat now to teams just needing composure and confidence and to work hard on his ball retention to be a top player.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 25, 2023, 02:39:18 pm by ncRover »
Thought Broadbent looked imposing when he came on v Gills.

I would start him and put Biggins on later if we need a goal.

You saw the difference in hold up play when Ironside replaced Faal. But Mo does pick up good positions and can stretch the opposition a bit more.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 25, 2023, 04:05:42 pm by idler »
Broadbent made some good runs after he came on but nobody picked him out or possibly never saw him.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 25, 2023, 04:20:59 pm by drfcsteve »
Changes from Saturday, I would get Senior in the defence (if fit) to free up Bailey for a midfield of him, Close and Westbrooke. Swap Faal for Ironside.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 25, 2023, 04:33:43 pm by philsky »
Changes from Saturday, I would get Senior in the defence (if fit) to free up Bailey for a midfield of him, Close and Westbrooke. Swap Faal for Ironside.

Rowe ?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 25, 2023, 04:37:01 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Thought Broadbent looked imposing when he came on v Gills.

I would start him and put Biggins on later if we need a goal.

You saw the difference in hold up play when Ironside replaced Faal. But Mo does pick up good positions and can stretch the opposition a bit more.

That's a good observation. Very likely that Ironside will start but I hope we don't use him as an excuse for lumping high balls when playing on the deck, as we did Saturday, brought more fluidity to our game. It will be interesting to see if Marsh can feed off Ironside if he  can release the ball a little quicker in his hold up play.

We've see Ironside win possession but sometimes struggle to find an easy option to pass to. (Not his fault) With both Close and Westbrooke in support, this should be better and slicker.   

As Close and Westbrooke seemed to gell very well together I wouldn't change either of them and agree Rowe may be better being held back and introduced later if  we're in a good position to help manage the game out.

The main concern is being defensively organised if being subject to a barrage of crosses Prevention is better than cure, so if we can reduce the supply, then if Senior can make it, we can release Bailey to his midfield position  However, if Barrow just launch balls from all angles towards the box as Gills did then owt can happen but hopefully Bailey will help us pick up more second balls. 

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 25, 2023, 07:06:41 pm by Dutch Uncle »
With Maxwell out for a while, if Senior picks up another knock Tommy may be another option at LB/LWB. We used to say Rowe at LB was a big loss of his attacking play, but IMHO putting Moly there is now the bigger loss. 

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 25, 2023, 09:05:02 pm by drfcsteve »

Rowe ?

If we only play 3 midfielders who do you drop though, surely can’t be Close or Westbrooke and if those two play you need a more defensive anchor, which Rowe isn’t really.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 26, 2023, 09:31:01 am by ncRover »

Rowe ?

If we only play 3 midfielders who do you drop though, surely can’t be Close or Westbrooke and if those two play you need a more defensive anchor, which Rowe isn’t really.

With the 3 centre backs and the performance of the midfield on Saturday I don’t think an out and out defensive ball winner is necessary.

Jones

Olowu
Anderson
Bailey

Nixon
Close
Westbrooke
Broadbent
Molyneux

Marsh
Ironside

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 26, 2023, 09:37:43 am by idler »
I think that is the most likely choice unless he swaps Biggins for Broadbent.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 26, 2023, 10:31:31 am by Mike_F »
It's nice to see us starting to have a couple of selection headaches. With the amount of injuries (and one suspension) we've endured of late the team has pretty much picked itself so it's good to have options. I think we need to keep the team as settled as possible to keep the run going but I would look to drop Faal for Ironside or if Barrow are susceptible to pace I'd even consider starting Sotona over Faal. You lose a bit of height that way but Faal is nowhere near good enough in the air for his size anyway.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 26, 2023, 12:57:23 pm by steve@dcfd »
From DFP
Rowe. is back from suspension
Hurst Lawlor Wood could be ready
Senior and Taylor not far away
Miller and Maxwell weeks away but have had positive news about their recoveries

So Rowe should be in the squad and three others could be in there as well.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/the-best-yet-to-come-from-improving-doncaster-rovers-says-grant-mccann-4348923

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 28, 2023, 07:31:48 am by ncRover »
A few stats on Barrow:

- Lowest goals conceded per game for the league

- Fewest big chances created for the league

So they have the best defence and worst attack at the same time.

That would point towards a 0-0 but perhaps they will be more open and attacking at home.

Gillingham were the best defence in the league before they played the mighty Rovers.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 10:45:38 am by ncRover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 28, 2023, 10:21:12 am by selby »
  This is a big game in which if we can muster a win it would issue a statement that we can climb the table out of relegation trouble.
   That has not disappeared over night, and to be honest the names now being put forward as must play shoe ins are the same players that got us just a few weeks ago to the bottom of division two, and were poor from the start of the season, they are not international standard.
  Close has been here two years and has been poor or injured for long periods of it, Biggins the same over twelve months, Rowe Olowu and Anderson for even longer the same pattern injured or poor, and most of the new signings have not gelled or played up to the standard we expected especially Wood.
  Fair does to them the last few games we have seen a great improvement in individual performances and as a cohesive unit, but we cannot afford for it to be just a flash in the pan, reality is lose a couple and we are back in the mire.
  I honestly think that we can carry on the  improvement, but we have to, and to do so the players mentioned have to show more than they have for quite a while consistently, and that is the big question, can they stay fit? can they play game after game somewhere near the top of their form? if they do and can then we have a chance of progressing and only time will tell.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 28, 2023, 02:54:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Rowe ?

With the 3 centre backs and the performance of the midfield on Saturday I don’t think an out and out defensive ball winner is necessary.

Jones

Olowu
Anderson
Bailey

Nixon
Close
Westbrooke
Broadbent
Molyneux

Marsh
Ironside

Strength in depth of the squad is quite something.

Compare that to this as an alternative XI if/when everyone is fit.

Lawlor
Sterry Faulkner Wood Senior Maxwell

Biggins Rowe Hurst

Miller Faal

That is a significantly better XI than we had available for much of the last two seasons. And doesn't include Roberts, Sotona, Taylor, Goodman, Griffiths, Lavery.

I'm guessing Bramall made good on his funding promise because there's a hell of a lot of salaries there.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 28, 2023, 07:21:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
Last two seasons have to go down in living memory as in many - not all - ways entirely on par with 97/98. Total shitshow.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 28, 2023, 08:10:06 pm by ncRover »

Rowe ?

Jones

Olowu
Anderson
Bailey

Nixon
Close
Westbrooke
Broadbent
Molyneux

Marsh
Ironside

Strength in depth of the squad is quite something.

Compare that to this as an alternative XI if/when everyone is fit.

Lawlor
Sterry Faulkner Wood Senior Maxwell

Biggins Rowe Hurst

Miller Faal

That is a significantly better XI than we had available for much of the last two seasons. And doesn't include Roberts, Sotona, Taylor, Goodman, Griffiths, Lavery.

I'm guessing Bramall made good on his funding promise because there's a hell of a lot of salaries there.

I agree Billy we can win the pizza trophy with this depth.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 28, 2023, 08:44:21 pm by selby »
  We will only do anything with consistency and improvement, and the players having the ability to be as good as  we have seen them play the last couple of weeks over a longer period.
  We have seen green shoots before in the players here at the beginning of last season only for it to be a fleeting period in a long hard poor season, and the same form carried on until half time at MK Dons just a couple of weeks ago.
  The players have a lot to do to recover even just mid table safety over the next few games, and have an important game at Mansfield in the cup, that is how important this game at Barrow is, a place we got played off the park last season, we cannot afford the same thing to happen again, the performance is crucial, the result important, hopefully we carry on the improvement and come away with something to show for it.  It will not be easy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012