Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:29:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Barrow game  (Read 6071 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Barrow game
« Reply #30 on September 29, 2023, 11:39:11 am by Alan Southstand »
Changes from Saturday, I would get Senior in the defence (if fit) to free up Bailey for a midfield of him, Close and Westbrooke. Swap Faal for Ironside.

Rowe ?

If we only play 3 midfielders who do you drop though, surely can’t be Close or Westbrooke and if those two play you need a more defensive anchor, which Rowe isn’t really.

With the 3 centre backs and the performance of the midfield on Saturday I don’t think an out and out defensive ball winner is necessary.

Jones

Olowu
Anderson
Bailey

Nixon
Close
Westbrooke
Broadbent
Molyneux

Marsh
Ironside

Strength in depth of the squad is quite something.

Compare that to this as an alternative XI if/when everyone is fit.

Lawlor
Sterry Faulkner Wood Senior Maxwell

Biggins Rowe Hurst

Miller Faal

That is a significantly better XI than we had available for much of the last two seasons. And doesn't include Roberts, Sotona, Taylor, Goodman, Griffiths, Lavery.

I'm guessing Bramall made good on his funding promise because there's a hell of a lot of salaries there.

Long?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 29, 2023, 11:27:36 pm by Pancho Regan »
Sept 13th 2022…
I drove up to Barrow for this match, not feeling too confident despite the fact that we’d had a decent start to the season with regard to points gained.
I just felt we’d rode our luck so far, but tonight we could stamp our authority on this game, this league, and blow away this Barrow team.
I mean, it was Barrow, right?

By the end of the game I knew we were in the shit. Barrow won 2-0 but it really, truly could have been 4-0.
This was the night I knew we were in a very bad position as a club and it was going to take some major changes to get us back on track.

Little more than 12 months later I’ll be making the journey to Barrow tomorrow with a renewed enthusiasm. Regardless of the result, I have faith that we will put in a much better performance than we did on our last visit.

Come on you Reds!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 30, 2023, 01:26:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
John Coyle has calculated we haven't beaten Barrow away for over half a century. Last win at their place was January 1972. Mind, we last played there 25 years ago in August 1998.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 30, 2023, 02:02:41 pm by Chris Black come back »
Same side as last week but Ironside starts, with Faal on bench. Lawlor still injured. Rowe on bench.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 30, 2023, 02:06:59 pm by NickDRFC »
John Coyle has calculated we haven't beaten Barrow away for over half a century. Last win at their place was January 1972. Mind, we last played there 25 years ago in August 1998.

I must have imagined that 2-0 defeat there last year then!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 30, 2023, 02:13:18 pm by Chris Black come back »
I mangled that. Point was meant to be that last time we avoided defeat there was 25 years ago.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 30, 2023, 03:12:02 pm by scawsby steve »
I mangled that. Point was meant to be that last time we avoided defeat there was 25 years ago.

That's right. It was 2-2 that night. Barrow equalised in the last minute.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 30, 2023, 03:15:04 pm by ForsolongaRover »
It’s a pity that we get a non-professional commentator on iFollow in away games. So far, Hoden has been slightly better than last week, but you do not always know where the ball is.

Rarely does the describe exactly how the ball is played, generally only who possesses it.

They have just scored, but who was involved in the failed defensive effort he has not told us.

Presumably it is cost-cutting, but it is not good value.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 30, 2023, 04:01:32 pm by ForsolongaRover »
I switched to the Barrow commentary at half time and in the few minutes that remained I got a far fuller picture of the game up to that point. In contrast to the impression gained from Hoden's commentary it seemed that we had played well in the latter part of the half!

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 30, 2023, 04:17:45 pm by In the box »
Back to the usual s*** show !!

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 30, 2023, 04:50:45 pm by KingKendrick »
McCann has got to hold his hands up for those subs after we got one back. Can understand making the subs with the midfield 3 on yellows and the way the ref was but we lost all momentum. Don’t think we’ve strung a pass together since those changes. Not sure what Tyler Roberts offers he’s been abysmal since he came on

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 30, 2023, 04:56:36 pm by In the box »
Too many layers just not on their game . Passing none existent and tactically way off getting anything from a team the just hoofs the ball when it can . Back to drawing board  :mad:

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 30, 2023, 05:01:18 pm by ChrisBx »
The only positive is that we have another game so quickly. We need a positive performance and result on Tuesday to avoid our recent upturn in form appearing like an anomaly.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on September 30, 2023, 05:04:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
3-2 not bad. It is a horrific place to go to against a very difficult side. Performance nowhere near standard of last week though. We need the consistency.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 30, 2023, 05:10:04 pm by jmt23 »
The subs killed it, we were on top, we had all of the ball up until that moment. It was like a light switch change, all of a sudden the game became mostly them.
Two errors by Tom lead to the first and last goals, he just switched off.

Strange feeling tonight, I’m not as gutted as usual, I can see we are moving in the right direction, and had that abysmally bad ref not handed cards out when players sneezed, I think the result would’ve been different.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 30, 2023, 05:12:27 pm by ncRover »
More possession, more shots, more xG

No need for doom and gloom

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 30, 2023, 05:21:42 pm by KingKendrick »
More possession, more shots, more xG

No need for doom and gloom

Possession is useless when you just knock it around the back 5. There was no link from midfield to attack all day. Our only threat came from moly who caused havoc going forward until we made the subs and just decided we were going to go back to front

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 30, 2023, 05:32:11 pm by In the box »
3-2 not bad. It is a horrific place to go to against a very difficult side. Performance nowhere near standard of last week though. We need the consistency.
3-2 not bad  :thumbdown: it was dreadful , Barrow play a typical L2 game of hoof it and run and we just can’t handle teams who pile forward in numbers . They were the better side by far . Performances are not as important as competing . If we’d rolled sleaves up we’d have got something from the game instead of another long return trip for the fans with knowt to show for it .

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 30, 2023, 05:41:27 pm by Thorney »
3-2 not bad  :thumbdown: it was dreadful , Barrow play a typical L2 game of hoof it and run and we just can’t handle teams who pile forward in numbers . They were the better side by far . Performances are not as important as competing . If we’d rolled sleaves up we’d have got something from the game instead of another long return trip for the fans with knowt to show for it .

Totally agree with in the box.

3-2 and the stats doesn't show how poor we were. Today for me was a massive step backwards.

Thought Jones was at fault for the first 2, seems shit scared of leaving his line, a floated cross into the 6yrd area should be his all day, and the 2nd was a simple catch that didn't require him sliding along the ground. if he was move positive he would of been under it and caught it standing, no Barrow player was putting pressure on.

Nixon tore a new arsehole down the right.

Thought big Tom was lucky not to give more free kicks away, a few times he clattered their striker and got away with it.

Marsh non-existent.

And the subs, less said the better.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 05:59:38 pm by Thorney »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 30, 2023, 06:48:47 pm by Chris Black come back »
McCann not happy:

"It was just simply not good enough today. We deserved to lose, even though we showed a little bit of fight to try and get ourselves a leveller at the end.”

TinyPortal © 2005-2012