Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:17:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Bradford City game  (Read 1135 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Bradford City game
« on January 17, 2024, 11:05:17 am by selby »
  I suppose after the Wigan result last night the big question is, like Newport and Wigan did, what approach will Bradford employ against us in the match Saturday?
 Both Newport and Wigan stood off us and didn't press that much, just stood off and soaked it up waiting for our usual catastrophe at the back, and knowing they could play through our lines and get behind, and we are poor at defending balls into the box.
  Despite the great result last night, nobody is more pleased than me, we lost and drew a game of football at home if we discount the penalty shoot out, despite being by far the best side v Newport and the equal of Wigan for long periods, missing good chances in both games, both those teams setting off on the front foot and being all over us the last 10 minutes, Newport pinching the game and Wigan a bit unfortunate not to, and things would this morning look a lot different the gods or a brilliant save by Jones smiling on us.
  Bradford I think will be more difficult, will be a lot more agricultural in mid field, up front in Cook have a bully of a player who is a handful, their wide players Pointon if he plays especially quick and direct and their mid field and defence do not stand on ceremony, get in your face and get rid from the back, or did at the Eco and were not adverse to the tactical foul to break up play and ran out deserved winners.
  The one chink is their manager who always seems to have an immediate effect when he goes to a club, and then it is always down hill from there, and their results have not been that good since leaving the Eco with the points and on top of the world.
  The biggest Questions we have is will we handle Cook? who rolled us over at home and bossed our central defenders all the game, and looks by far the biggest threat in this game.
 Another question is can we improve our own game by taking a bigger percentage of the chances we create? and who will be up there with Ironside? who changed the complexion of last nights game when he came on being an immediate thorn in Wigan's side.
  As usual there will be a big crowd at Bradford, which is something of a double edged sword for them, when on top great, but soon to turn if things are not looking too good, something we can tap into if we play well and get on top.
   With new players being cup tied last night we have a nice selection problem, what team would you go with?
   Has last nights result wetted your appetite to go to this game?
   Will we handle Cook?
   Would you pick the same team as last night?
  These and lots of other questions about what will be a tough game we very much need to get something from.
    Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Bradford City game
« Reply #1 on January 17, 2024, 11:12:57 am by steve@dcfd »
We need a left or right back fit which would allow Rowe in midfield with Close and Bailey
Hirst Ironside and Molyneux to start up front.
Now who will play alongside McGrath I wish we had a fit and firing Wood or Anderson but that’s not happened majority of the season even at all..

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 17, 2024, 11:23:16 am by ncRover »
I think Hurst will have his minutes managed after playing 90 last night and Waters will start.

It’s a shame Broadbent isn’t working out. This midfield needs a prime years Tommy Rowe in there.

I do not trust Olowu to handle the physical challenge of Cook. He is scared of such strikers.

I would go with:

Jones

Nixon
Faulkner
McGrath
Senior (if fit)

Bailey
Close
Biggins / Craig (rest Rowe)

Waters (replace with Hurst at 60)
Ironside
Molyneux (replace with Taylor at 60)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 11:42:43 am by ncRover »

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 17, 2024, 11:44:56 am by DearneValleyRover »
GM is not going to pick Faulkner, I don’t know why but if he wasn’t getting picked last night he isn’t getting picked on Saturday.
The problem then is if you don’t play Olowu, Bailey has to drop back which takes a lot from our midfield. I’m hoping Senior/Sterry or both are fit.
Jones
Nixon Olowu McGrath Senior
Bailey Close Rowe
Molyneux Ironside Waters

Bench: Bottomley Faulkner Craig Hurst Carty Taylor Broadbent

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 17, 2024, 12:09:13 pm by RugbyRover »
Jones

Nixon Olowu McGrath Senior

Bailey Close

Molyneux Ironside Waters Hurst

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 17, 2024, 12:27:30 pm by selby »
  I bet Cook can't sleep at night thinking about this game after the game at the Eco, and watching a replay of Wigan's goal last night. He will be too excited to sleep like a kid waiting for Christmas.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 12:30:31 pm by selby »

edlored

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 17, 2024, 12:38:25 pm by edlored »
Like it's been said questions have to be asked why he won't play Faulkner who will not take a step back from Cook

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 17, 2024, 01:12:47 pm by graingrover »
We criticise Oluwe for the Wigan goal but Tommy Rowe was selected at left back and the cross for the goal was made with enough time and space to light a BBQ before crossing the ball .

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 17, 2024, 01:12:59 pm by Upton Rover »
I think that if we man mark Cook and stop him from scoring, we have a great chance of getting something out of the game,

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 17, 2024, 05:27:20 pm by selby »
  In fairness to Grant, Bobby was rushed back as cover before really being fully fit, and luckily was not really needed but was willing to fill the void if a serious injury occurred being at the time the fittest of the unfit central defenders and in an emergency would have filled in.
  He is now fit, but fair does the players have not played badly and he will have to wait his chance.
  Personally he would have been my choice last night against Wyke and against Cook at Bradford but both would be a test for him in what would be a first game of the season really, and difficult to change last nights team as he is really starting a season again.
  He will make his mark when he plays.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 17, 2024, 05:32:24 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
  In fairness to Grant, Bobby was rushed back as cover before really being fully fit, and luckily was not really needed but was willing to fill the void if a serious injury occurred being at the time the fittest of the unfit central defenders and in an emergency would have filled in.
  He is now fit, but fair does the players have not played badly and he will have to wait his chance.
  Personally he would have been my choice last night against Wyke and against Cook at Bradford but both would be a test for him in what would be a first game of the season really, and difficult to change last nights team as he is really starting a season again.
  He will make his mark when he plays.

Is Bobby frustrated at his lack of playing time so far, Selby? I rate him highly and I’d hate for him to clear off in search of pastures new at the end of the season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 17, 2024, 06:38:28 pm by selby »
Of course he is frustrated, but as far as leaving is concerned I don't think it is an issue with him unless released by the club, and I know absolutely nothing about anything like that other than the statement at the owners meeting things like that will be discussed in February with the players concerned with contract negotiations.
 He definitely needs game time though.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 17, 2024, 06:46:58 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Of course he is frustrated, but as far as leaving is concerned I don't think it is an issue with him unless released by the club, and I know absolutely nothing about anything like that other than the statement at the owners meeting things like that will be discussed in February with the players concerned with contract negotiations.
 He definitely needs game time though.

Thank you & agreed. I watched him warm up on the touch line at Mansfield for 90 minutes. He celebrated every block & clearance. Gagging for a kick around bless him.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 18, 2024, 09:51:39 am by selby »
  This game and the next one are both games we could easily lose, and if teams behind us pick up points in their games we are in the realm of who has the strongest will to get out of trouble, the football quality and management in the mental area of who has the stomach for the fight and not necessarily how good we are at football.
  There has been a lot of good sides in my lifetime who have had the football ability to do well and not the team ethic or mental strength to get out of trouble.
  We are in a battle whether people think so or not, yes there are a couple of poor teams in the division you would expect us to finish well above, but we are not too far off to be caught and could do with picking something up point wise from these games or pressure will start to build, and some of our players have not been able to raise to the challenge in the past.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012