Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:29:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A Different View  (Read 1553 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
A Different View
« on March 08, 2023, 10:24:23 am by Bentley Bullet »
The lack of atmosphere in the stadium is a disadvantage for us and a bonus for the away team. The ECO-Power stadium does not intimidate visiting teams and is almost like a neutral venue. In fact, when the away team is well supported, it is almost like a home game for them. The last example of this was the Bradford city game, and I'm convinced the officials were intimidated by that also, judging by some of the decisions.

Of course, this doesn't deter the fact that we're a crap team, but I think it may contribute to it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

keith79

• Forum Member
Re: A Different View
« Reply #1 on March 08, 2023, 10:25:13 am by keith79 »
Why are we also rubbish away.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 08, 2023, 10:41:56 am by Michael Shaw »
The real question is "why do so many people follow this club and come to this site just to make themselves miserable?".
Following any football club should be fun. Is this really fun? I give up until next August.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 08, 2023, 10:44:19 am by mrfrostsdad »
The lack of atmosphere in the stadium is a disadvantage for us and a bonus for the away team. The ECO-Power stadium does not intimidate visiting teams and is almost like a neutral venue. In fact, when the away team is well supported, it is almost like a home game for them. The last example of this was the Bradford city game, and I'm convinced the officials were intimidated by that also, judging by some of the decisions.

Of course, this doesn't deter the fact that we're a crap team, but I think it may contribute to it.

Of course it's a disadvantage for us, but there's nothing to get excited about and hasn't been for the last couple of years. Why would you get motivated enough to cheers such crap?
It never used to be like that when we had a good side

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 08, 2023, 10:50:14 am by ForsolongaRover »
They said this about West Ham and the London Stadium.

I suppose it depends on you as an individual player. Some people are stimulated by just being in a great stadium like Old Trafford and we did nearly beat Liverpool back in the early 70s at Anfield and there was certainly an “atmosphere” there.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 08, 2023, 11:02:23 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It’s all about a sequence of things. Clever board+good manager+good players= We have bits of each, not all three that is why we are failing.

Don’t let anybody kid you, there is enough in this squad to be much higher up. The manager is failing. The players aren’t playing to their ability. The board are not intelligent in how they are going about things.

It shows in the decisions they make. Until some proper care is taken in appointing managers we will continue to fail. Within two years we will be back in non league, this is where we are heading.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 08, 2023, 11:03:46 am by DRFC_AjA »
I think that's a problem with English fans/grounds in general and not specific to us

The atmosphere English fans create is awful and the Europeans have taken it to another level. Blaming the stadium, or anything else really, is just an excuse. Eastern European have old bowls for stadiums, Italy has old grounds with no roofs, yet they crate amazing atmospheres

I saw a video of Chelsea fans in Dortmund singing "wtf is that" as Dortmund unveiled one of their amazing tifo displays in their yellow wall. Sums it up, all we can do is a random obnoxious song while one of the worlds best tifos is going on

It's what English fans have become unfortunately, we still think "who are ya" is an atmosphere.  And then when anyone does try, like the Palace Ultras, they just get mocked. Again that's us the English for you

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 08, 2023, 11:14:27 am by Bentley Bullet »
Why are we also rubbish away.
Usually, because we're a crap team, but at the Grimsby away game we produced a great performance. That, to me, seemed like a home game with the great vocal support the team got.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 08, 2023, 11:19:52 am by normal rules »
Why is it Wellens went to Orient and is enjoying success. Yet oversaw a shit show at rovers?
Genuine question.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 08, 2023, 11:24:17 am by steve@dcfd »
Why is it Wellens went to Orient and is enjoying success. Yet oversaw a shit show at rovers?
Genuine question.
Better resources and players

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 08, 2023, 11:30:44 am by Bentley Bullet »
Genuine question.
Maybe he was so desperate to get the job he convinced himself and the board that he could be successful, even with the restrictions of self-sustainably.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 08, 2023, 11:59:42 am by EasyforDennis »
Genuine question.

Because the Orient board have backed him with funds.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 08, 2023, 12:02:49 pm by ravenrover »
And he hasn't had to build a team from scratch, which he showed he couldn't do at DRFC

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 08, 2023, 12:46:26 pm by oggycompton »
The real question is "why do so many people follow this club and come to this site just to make themselves miserable?".
Following any football club should be fun. Is this really fun? I give up until next August.

They don't, look at the trends on attendances. You think there will be many there Saturday?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 08, 2023, 01:01:59 pm by i_ateallthepies »
And he hasn't had to build a team from scratch, which he showed he couldn't do at DRFC

Which he showed he couldn't do on the resources provided at Doncaster.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 08, 2023, 01:21:04 pm by ravenrover »
No he totally mismanaged the budget blew it on 3 or 4 signings and was left scrabbling around on basement bargains to make up the squad

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 08, 2023, 01:38:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wellens inherited one striker who he refused to play, and signed three more who were worse.

Don't give me this "he didn't have the funds" b*llocks. He f**ked up in a core duty of management - doing your best with the resources at your disposal.

If he's learned that lesson, good luck to him and Orient.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 08, 2023, 02:42:55 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Which he showed he couldn't do on the resources provided at Doncaster.
Nor anyone else since.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 08, 2023, 06:41:35 pm by Draytonian III »
No he totally mismanaged the budget blew it on 3 or 4 signings and was left scrabbling around on basement bargains to make up the squad

Correct, and he’s dropped lucky at Leyton Orient. On a slightly side issue/point Paul Smyth the Leyton Orient winger would have been open to joining us if Robin Hood ( when it was open ) had still be doing flights to Belfast

TinyPortal © 2005-2012