Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 09:31:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Watching west ham last nite....  (Read 1123 times)

adamtherover

• Forum Member
Watching west ham last nite....
« on April 06, 2023, 08:16:03 am by adamtherover »
Playing out dangerously from the back, and conceding from it,.   And playing A lone isolated striker who gets no service?  Sound familiar?  Moyes will maybe get the chop off the back of his decisions...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

rich1471

• Forum Member
Re: Watching west ham last nite....
« Reply #1 on April 06, 2023, 08:21:29 am by rich1471 »
Newcastle looked very good last night and could have scored more, west ham gave away so poor goals

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 06, 2023, 08:41:10 am by LincsRover »
Playing out from the back, when it’s done well with the right, skilled and confident players a la Man City it looks great and is very effective at bringing the opposition forward to leave spaces in behind.

When it’s done poorly, with less skilled, less confident players it turns into a dangerous game of Russian roulette. I think it’s become a bit of an obsession to do it in all leagues as it’s “Playing football the right way”, but if you don’t have the players & the right strategy to mix it a bit, it becomes very predictable, easy to press and extremely dangerous, even with premier league players.

To persist with the same old strategy at our level, no mixing it up, with the players at our disposal is a recipe for disaster.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 08:44:23 am by LincsRover »

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 06, 2023, 09:48:31 am by i_ateallthepies »
The trouble for us is when we play that way there are three live rounds in the gun.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 06, 2023, 09:59:58 am by selby »
  Teams are starting to just not bother with the press though, bank up in their own half  and narrow the pitch stopping teams playing through the lines, and then trying to hit teams on the counter.
  Basically back to the Italian and South American tactics of the 1960's as a counter measure, and if a tactical foul can be done in the ball players own half bringing it out so much the better.
  Manchester City will face these tactics in Europe now, not many teams left in the competition will take them on at their own game.
    Brentford showed the way at City months ago and I am surprised more teams have not done the same since to them

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 06, 2023, 10:13:33 am by ncRover »
This Newcastle side is superb. Full of players who get stuck in as well.

Good football built on solid foundations.

Love direct wingers like Saint-Maximin, an old-fashioned entertainer.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 06, 2023, 10:37:31 am by ncRover »
Playing out from the back, when it’s done well with the right, skilled and confident players a la Man City it looks great and is very effective at bringing the opposition forward to leave spaces in behind.

When it’s done poorly, with less skilled, less confident players it turns into a dangerous game of Russian roulette. I think it’s become a bit of an obsession to do it in all leagues as it’s “Playing football the right way”, but if you don’t have the players & the right strategy to mix it a bit, it becomes very predictable, easy to press and extremely dangerous, even with premier league players.

To persist with the same old strategy at our level, no mixing it up, with the players at our disposal is a recipe for disaster.

You’re bang on here.

Brentford a fine example of a team who can mix it up, even in the premier league.

But Schofield thinks being “progressive” means being pig-headed and predictable.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 07, 2023, 08:03:20 am by dickos1 »
Newcastle also play out from the back and play with one striker.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 07, 2023, 08:36:38 am by Campsall rover »
:headbang:

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 07, 2023, 08:37:12 am by ncRover »

Because they have the players that allow them to do so and play a formation that allows them to dominate in midfield.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 07, 2023, 08:48:26 am by dickos1 »
Yes, so let’s wait until schofield has his own players that can play this way and he develops a system that works playing that way.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 07, 2023, 08:55:27 am by Chris Black come back »
This Newcastle side is superb. Full of players who get stuck in as well.

Good football built on solid foundations.

Love direct wingers like Saint-Maximin, an old-fashioned entertainer.

I read an interesting piece of analysis last season on Saint-Maximin which had analysed his stats and concluded that he was by and large one of the worst players in his position in the elite European leagues. His doubtless good entertainment dribbling pretty much never ended up with anything positive and his ball retention was dire. I like watching him but you can see why nobody came in for him when Newcastle were shit.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 07, 2023, 08:58:55 am by dickos1 »
He’s a different player at the minute now, creating chances galore

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 07, 2023, 09:03:50 am by ncRover »
Yes, so let’s wait until schofield has his own players that can play this way and he develops a system that works playing that way.

If there was some sort of evidence of him having done that somewhere else I’d be more open to that. Our formation is just horrible and I can’t tell you any sides playing it to good effect anywhere.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 07, 2023, 09:09:06 am by dickos1 »
There’s certain times this season where we’ve played well using this system,
Grimsby, Swindon, Carlisle, orient, Mansfield, Stevenage, Sutton, off the top of my head where we played well for at least half the game, we didn’t always win these games but we played well, created numerous chances but didn’t put them away.
Missing chances isn’t the fault of the system

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 07, 2023, 09:16:07 am by ncRover »
What about conceding the 5th highest amount of goals in the league, is that not a fault of the system?

But yes, George Miller has missed the most big chances in the league. Would you get someone else in or persevere with him up top on his own?

Where do we rank on chances created?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 07, 2023, 09:25:58 am by dickos1 »
What about conceding the 5th highest amount of goals in the league, is that not a fault of the system?

But yes, George Miller has missed the most big chances in the league. Would you get someone else in or persevere with him up top on his own?

Where do we rank on chances created?

No idea, but we conceded a lot of goals before Danny took over playing a completely Different system.
I think miller in general play has been good, and he’s not going to always miss chances like that, I’d persevere but get someone in who’s proven at this level and let them push each other.

There’s been games where we’ve created nothing recently. But Stevenage, Mansfield and Grimsby were games where we missed a hatful of chances

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 07, 2023, 09:31:18 am by ncRover »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 07, 2023, 09:34:20 am by dickos1 »
Yep, like I said we’ve created very little for the last 10 games or so

TinyPortal © 2005-2012