Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:29:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Spireittes or Notts  (Read 1454 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Spireittes or Notts
« on May 11, 2023, 08:49:45 am by Branton Rover »
Personally I’m glad that one of the above will be returning as both are established clubs with history & tradition behind them - plus both are local ish not derbies but will both bring big followings.

Much rather have either of these than the likes of Crawley, Sutton, Harrogate and Salford who don’t have any history or tradition to call on.

Ps my preference would be for Chesterfield to come up because if Notts do it’s virtually another promotion spot taken as they’ll have momentum and wind in their sales.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Spireittes or Notts
« Reply #1 on May 11, 2023, 09:12:30 am by Campsall rover »
Personally I’m glad that one of the above will be returning as both are established clubs with history & tradition behind them - plus both are local ish not derbies but will both bring big followings.

Much rather have either of these than the likes of Crawley, Sutton, Harrogate and Salford who don’t have any history or tradition to call on.

Ps my preference would be for Chesterfield to come up because if Notts do it’s virtually another promotion spot taken as they’ll have momentum and wind in their sales.
Both will be strong next season.
County will be top 3 candidates i suspect and Chesterfield top 7 or at least that’s how it looks to me at this time.
We don’t know what recruitment they will do this summer.

Yes it’s is good to see established FL clubs make a come back but it is also good to see clubs who have never been in the FL get there.
Without that being possible where is the incentive for these clubs to have any ambition.
I have personal links to Harrogate as I lived there for 2 yrs 1973/1974 after moving from Leeds and before I came to work and live in Doncaster in 1975
So for me seeing Harrogate Town rise from being a Northern Premier League club 1st Div that’s tier 8 in the pyramid to tier 4 is a fantastic achievement.
The Weaver’s can be very proud of what they have achieved at that club. They haven’t spent vast sums getting there. Genuine Yorkshire business people originally from Doncaster who own Strata Homes.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 11, 2023, 09:19:36 am by Scooter »
Notts for me. They deserve it after a great season

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 11, 2023, 09:39:15 am by Bollinger »

I’m conflicted when it comes to ‘new’ clubs in the EFL.  I confess I’d rather see the likes of Notts County and Chesterfield in the league than Bromley, Eastleigh and others. I’m not sure the EFL is strengthened in any way by the presence of Sutton and Crawley etc. Plus you factor in the many negatives that clubs like Maidstone, Rushden, Stevenage and Boston brought with them and you wonder if it dilutes the gene pool rather than improves it.

But, it’d be a retrograde  step to going down the RFL and RU routes of restricting promotion and relegation and going back to the closed shop of the old re-election days. When you open a window to let fresh air in you get the occasional blue bottle too.

Anyway, harsh as it’d be on County I’d be hoping for Chesterfield. Never sensed any sort of local rivalry with County but Chesterfield always felt like a local derby.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 11, 2023, 09:56:03 am by Drover »

Both will be strong next season.
County will be top 3 candidates i suspect and Chesterfield top 7 or at least that’s how it looks to me at this time.
We don’t know what recruitment they will do this summer.

Yes it’s is good to see established FL clubs make a come back but it is also good to see clubs who have never been in the FL get there.
Without that being possible where is the incentive for these clubs to have any ambition.
I have personal links to Harrogate as I lived there for 2 yrs 1973/1974 after moving from Leeds and before I came to work and live in Doncaster in 1975
So for me seeing Harrogate Town rise from being a Northern Premier League club 1st Div that’s tier 8 in the pyramid to tier 4 is a fantastic achievement.
The Weaver’s can be very proud of what they have achieved at that club. They haven’t spent vast sums getting there. Genuine Yorkshire business people originally from Doncaster who own Strata Homes.

I still get shivers when I hear the name Weaver!

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 11, 2023, 09:58:07 am by Drover »

I’m conflicted when it comes to ‘new’ clubs in the EFL.  I confess I’d rather see the likes of Notts County and Chesterfield in the league than Bromley, Eastleigh and others. I’m not sure the EFL is strengthened in any way by the presence of Sutton and Crawley etc. Plus you factor in the many negatives that clubs like Maidstone, Rushden, Stevenage and Boston brought with them and you wonder if it dilutes the gene pool rather than improves it.

But, it’d be a retrograde  step to going down the RFL and RU routes of restricting promotion and relegation and going back to the closed shop of the old re-election days. When you open a window to let fresh air in you get the occasional blue bottle too.

Anyway, harsh as it’d be on County I’d be hoping for Chesterfield. Never sensed any sort of local rivalry with County but Chesterfield always felt like a local derby.

What many negatives did Maidstone, Rushden, Stevenage and Boston bring with them?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 11, 2023, 10:08:50 am by Barmby Rover »
If Chessy make it what's the odds on Mandeville scoring against us?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 11, 2023, 10:15:53 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Harrogate Town and Crawley Town are over a hundred years old. How old do you think a club has to be to have a history and tradition?

Oh, and Sutton Town were founded in 1879. Does that year sound familiar to you at all?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 10:25:00 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 11, 2023, 10:45:05 am by Bollinger »

What many negatives did Maidstone, Rushden, Stevenage and Boston bring with them?

Maidstone went bust and their results were expunged, Rushden had points deductions, collapsed then ceased to exist, Boston’s financial irregularities are well documented and Stevenage, amongst other things I’m cautious to air here, were attempting to sell themselves to TV in exchange for viewers being able to help select the side and choose the identity and timing of substitutes. I suspect the FL might have put the kybosh on that though. Horrible club.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 11, 2023, 11:34:26 am by normal rules »
Either or for me. Both grounds have decent away allocations. Both easy to get to also.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 11, 2023, 11:46:19 am by graingrover »
Rushden was a remarkably generous attempt by Max Griggs the owner of Doc Martens to build a club from scratch .I knew the Financial Director who he tasked with having the stadium built and appointing the football management .What Mark Darnell the Financial Director of Doc Martens come CEO of Diamonds could not do was to build the fan base. In the end, money cannot buy support from the public though Hollywood seems to have an interesting project at Wrexham .

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 11, 2023, 12:33:56 pm by Draytonian III »
Notts County for me, for the amount of points they got and I know two blokes, a father and son who are complete pillocks who support Chesterfield

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 11, 2023, 02:09:17 pm by Chris Black come back »

Brian Talbot, Steve Evans, Graham Westley to name but three…

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 11, 2023, 03:15:05 pm by Donnywolf »
For me Chesterfield. I always liked Liam Mandeville and thought he would have a great career with us and move on

He scored a Charity Penalty for me and won the loot for TIA Greyhound rescue , then looking at his profile I saw we shared the same Birthday though of course not in the same year lol

So come on Chessie I say

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 11, 2023, 03:19:40 pm by Upton Rover »

Nothing wrong with Harrogate, think they been better than us in past 2 seasons

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 11, 2023, 04:12:55 pm by Jimmydee »

Or if County come up Bostock will score against us.

streathamdave

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 11, 2023, 04:36:43 pm by streathamdave »
Think this has Chesterfield written all over it, simply because of how well county did but didn't go up auto. Football often gives teams an unfair slap.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 11, 2023, 04:48:49 pm by Campsall rover »

Or if County come up Bostock will score against us.
He will have to shoot from 40 yds out if he is to score against us.  ;)

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 11, 2023, 04:51:06 pm by LincsRover »
Notts county because it’s a 15 min train journey from me and it’s the only time me and my mate derek get to visit hooters!! Come on county!  :party:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012