Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 03:37:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Yorkshire Post  (Read 3363 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Yorkshire Post
« on June 03, 2023, 06:38:39 pm by scawsby steve »
I've always rated their football coverage, but I'm having to have a re-think. Reo Griffiths the most valuable player in League 2 with a worth of just under a million?

Are they f*cking serious or what?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

andyst79

• Forum Member
Re: Yorkshire Post
« Reply #1 on June 03, 2023, 06:40:12 pm by andyst79 »
Read it earlier I was pissing myself

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 03, 2023, 06:47:51 pm by graingrover »
Shhhh Wrexham might make a bid !

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 03, 2023, 06:53:22 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Without looking at the article I assume they got the values from Transfermarkt, which is horrifically bad for player values for any team below the Premier League. Not sure why any respectable journalist would use their valuations.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 03, 2023, 07:29:55 pm by Chris Black come back »
It’s something when with only a few days in the job and probably I imagine without seeing him even train, McCann decided to transfer list him.

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 03, 2023, 07:43:37 pm by arkseyrover »
its gone down the pan along with all the other component parts that make up Johnson Press  - the organisation that is doing its best to destroy what is left of a once reputable and valuable local news service.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 04, 2023, 02:33:28 pm by Upton Rover »
1 million Turkish lira

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 04, 2023, 05:37:31 pm by Canadian Rover »

Wouldn't let him go for any less than 3.5m

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 04, 2023, 06:16:06 pm by Campsall rover »

Wouldn't let him go for any less than 3.5m
3.5m what though.
Currency wasn’t mentioned  ;)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 04, 2023, 06:34:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I've always rated their football coverage, but I'm having to have a re-think. Reo Griffiths the most valuable player in League 2 with a worth of just under a million?

It's not a local article. It's pure clickbait made to look like local interest. Exactly the same principle behind articles published across the nation including those we see in the DFP. It's all about the advertising.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 04, 2023, 06:42:02 pm by scawsby steve »

It's not a local article. It's pure clickbait made to look like local interest. Exactly the same principle behind articles published across the nation including those we see in the DFP. It's all about the advertising.

In that case, Baz, I'm surprised the journalist, Tom Coates, has put his name to it.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 08, 2023, 09:16:22 am by Canadian Rover »
I'm assuming Reo is going to be on loan somewhere for the season before being released when his contract ends.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 08, 2023, 10:02:58 am by ForsolongaRover »
The basis of valuation of RG is absurd because the OS states that he joined Rovers for an “undisclosed fee” in January 2022. We obviously did not pay hundreds of thousands, so how can he be so valued?

On the subject of newspaper content, although I’ve said this before, social media has changed journalism radically. Leaving this sort of piece aside, finding material which is not already “out there” is very challenging. Sensible analysis is available, although (as with Rovers reporters) this cannot be too unrestrained for fear of losing contacts.

What is left as probably a permanent target market for newspapers is older people who do not engage in social media.

Click bait “League Table” stuff this may be, and not particularly credible, but this piece, gathering together a bunch of data and making comparisons, attracts the attention of readers wondering where their football club or whatever compares with others.

As others have effectively said, I don’t suppose the editor of the Yorkshire Post has the influence to stop it.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 08, 2023, 10:15:25 am by Campsall rover »
I posted a comment about this on Face Book something I rarely go on unless it’s family.

This is shocking journalism from the YP.
What on earth is the Sports editor doing allowing Transfer Market valuations on players to be published in his sports pages.

Transfer Market is the biggest load of tosh I have ever seen.
It is made up none sense with zero credibility.

Quite Unbelievable that a reputable news paper would publish that absolute garbage.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 08, 2023, 10:17:08 am by ravenrover »
And I was slated on here for saying "lazy journalism" a few weeks back

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 08, 2023, 01:50:02 pm by pib »
And I was slated on here for saying "lazy journalism" a few weeks back

Well, no. That was totally different. You criticised a reporter for reporting on fans' feelings and wider issues at the club in his own words, assuming that he'd "lifted" his info from this forum rather than, y'know, being decent at his job and having a good knowledge of the club.

This "article" - if you can call it that - about player values, is completely different and could justifiably be criticised for being lazy and lacking relevant/factual info.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 08, 2023, 03:18:02 pm by ravenrover »
I did indeed and still stand by it

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 08, 2023, 03:27:32 pm by roversdude »
Quite right too raven

TinyPortal © 2005-2012