Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:46:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If it is Tommy?  (Read 2343 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
If it is Tommy?
« on June 23, 2021, 11:23:12 am by Branton Rover »
If we re-sign TR I’ll be delighted but can’t help thinking if we sign him as our new left back - this to my mind will be wasting his talent as a midfielder because we all know how good he is & limiting him to fullback isn’t getting the best out of the lad - I do know he operated as a wing back at Bristol so maybe utilised in that role if we employ a back 3. 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: If it is Tommy?
« Reply #1 on June 23, 2021, 11:42:19 am by RoversAlias »
I will be very surprised if Rowe is the LB signing. One because it isn't his most common role, two because there has been no hint of a mention that this signing is a former Rovers player and I feel there would have been some clues in the reporting from the Free Press if it were.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 23, 2021, 12:19:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Can't see him bombing down the line and getting crosses in.

When he was with us, his body language suggested he didn't like the role of left back.

Overall despite his obvious talent  he had a habit of disappearing in matches and then turned it on for the odd spell. He also spent quite a bit of time injured too.

Yes, he scored some great goals but I always got the feeling he was holding back and did just enough to warrant his selection, although when fit  he was selected irrespective of his form.

I suppose the play off match summed him up, scoring a blinder but then, even with all his experience, missing a critical penalty.

I can't get too excited about the prospect of his return.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 23, 2021, 12:42:14 pm by Branton Rover »
Think you’re being slightly over critical our chances of landing Antoine Greazman are very slim to say the least & TR is a proven performer at our level

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 23, 2021, 04:00:21 pm by RoversAlias »
I will be very surprised if Rowe is the LB signing. One because it isn't his most common role, two because there has been no hint of a mention that this signing is a former Rovers player and I feel there would have been some clues in the reporting from the Free Press if it were.

Well, count me as a surprised individual four hours later!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 23, 2021, 04:05:08 pm by Chris Black come back »
Does this mean we are playing three at the back? Williams played there at Shrewsbury I think. Is this the usual Wellens set up? Never seems to work for us but maybe Wellens can do it this time.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 23, 2021, 04:05:24 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
I am buzzing.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 23, 2021, 04:07:07 pm by pib »
Good player to have back but not sure if LB is his best position? I know he can play there and did a job for Bristol City, but for us he was always most effective in the 10 role and had a knack of getting a decent amount of goals.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 23, 2021, 04:26:46 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
By the sound of hodens post, Rowe rejected a few offers with better money to come here because of what he heard from wellens and he wants another promotion on his CV, RW also said that he likes his full backs to come inside and get involved with the midfield at times as well as going down the wing. To me it sounds like he’s gonna be playing 4 back.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 23, 2021, 04:27:19 pm by RoversAlias »
Does this mean we are playing three at the back? Williams played there at Shrewsbury I think. Is this the usual Wellens set up? Never seems to work for us but maybe Wellens can do it this time.

Wellens has described Rowe as a like-for-like replacement for James so it stands  to reason he will use Rowe as an attacking left-back. I suspect that might mean playing 3 at the back sometimes, and the signing of Williams supports that too. It gives us flexibility either way.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 23, 2021, 04:30:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Back to the old debates about his best position. He more often played on the left, being so dominant with his left foot. Yes, we know he can come inside and has a great shot on him ( as well as going down too easily in the box on a few occasions)

However, if he's signed as a left back I'll reserve judgement as he's seems to have done OK at Bristol in that position.
He says he's a more rounded player and as hungry as ever. I hope he is and proves to be a shrewd signing for Richie although a surprising one for me.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 23, 2021, 04:33:29 pm by Spud »
I would have thought he'll be used in both midfield & left back, hence the Reece James comparison, another great signing.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 23, 2021, 05:27:17 pm by since-1969 »
I would have thought he'll be used in both midfield & left back, hence the Reece James comparison, another great signing.
We still need a left back …

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 23, 2021, 05:28:56 pm by GazLaz »

We’ve got three now.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 23, 2021, 06:33:28 pm by since-1969 »

We’ve got three now.
Only when Rowes fit and if he’s back here , with our track record is they don’t last long .

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 23, 2021, 07:32:36 pm by roversdude »
And there it is - the balloon popper reappears

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 23, 2021, 09:00:19 pm by Janso »
"Congratulations on getting married; did you know many marriages end in divorce nowadays?"

TinyPortal © 2005-2012