Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:10:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: When do we turn the corner?  (Read 1716 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
When do we turn the corner?
« on September 10, 2021, 08:00:23 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Wigan A…..let’s forget that one.

Morecombe H…Rovers get their first win of the season after a battling performance.

Plymouth A…a point would be a good result.

Ipswich A….Ipswich at last show something for the millions spent on players in order to gain promotion & come away with all 3 points.

M K Dons H….now we begin to turn the corner as Rovers run out comfortable 2-0 winners.

Crewe A….Rovers record their first away victory with a hard fought 1-0 win.

Wycombe H…Another 3 points for Rovers as the team that Richie Wellens knew would gell once his ‘big hitters’ were fit romp home with a 3-0 victory.

Gillingham A..the run continues with a 1-0 away win.

Cheltenham H….now Rovers fans see the fruits of RW & his back room staff’s efforts to get the team playing forward, flowing football as Rovers record a 4-1 victory against a team playing 3 ex Rovers favourites (if there are such things!) in Andy Williams, Blair & May. No one begrudges Alfie getting an 89th minute consolation goal & both teams are applauded off the pitch.

That’s now 15 points in 5 games & both professional pundits & parochial pessimists are beginning to start to believe Rovers are now on the up.

Charlton A…up next. This fixture has ‘form’. From abandoned games in 2013 due to torrential rain after 30 minutes whilst Rovers were 3-0 up & as rhe rain stopped & the sun came out, only the Rovers players were seen clearing the water from the pitch as Charlton ground staff & officials looked on bemused. We lost the re-arranged fixture which contributed to our relegation that year from The Championship.

Fast forward to 2019 & once again we’re at The Valley in the semi-final of The Championship play offs having lost 1-0 in the home leg. Against all expectations we win the game 3-2 taking the game to penalties. Marquis & Tommy Rowe miss their’s & Charlton duly move on to The Final.

So we have previous.

This time the game is evenly poised at 0-0 as injury time comes & in the 93rd minute we’re awarded (awarded, a phrase that always makes me smile) a free kick just outside Charlton’s box to the right hand side of the goal. Up steps Tommy Rowe to curl a shot into the far left hand corner of the goal as the keeper stretches with every sinew in body to reach a ball destined to bulge the back of the net & send the home supporters away happy.

The ‘Footballing Gods’ have put right the wrongs of past battles & The Rovers ‘battle wagon’ moves on.

With Fleetwood Town & Lincoln City at home in the next two fixtures I can only see forward momentum.

The corner has well & truly been turned as Rovers approach December in the top half of the division.

You heard it here first.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
Re: When do we turn the corner?
« Reply #1 on September 10, 2021, 08:02:29 pm by Northants Nomad »
Bostik or UHU? Whichever, keep sniffing cos this is a wonderful story.

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 10, 2021, 08:12:28 pm by Chris the Rover »
Have you thought of seeking medical help Colin C?  :) I just hope you are returning to this post in a few weeks time to say I told you so. We live in hope eh?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 10, 2021, 08:49:05 pm by scawsby steve »

Morecombe H…Rovers get their first win of the season after a battling performance.

Ipswich A….Ipswich at last show something for the millions spent on players in order to gain promotion & come away with all 3 points.

M K Dons H….now we begin to turn the corner as Rovers run out comfortable 2-0 winners.

Wycombe H…Another 3 points for Rovers as the team that Richie Wellens knew would gell once his ‘big hitters’ were fit romp home with a 3-0 victory.

Cheltenham H….now Rovers fans see the fruits of RW & his back room staff’s efforts to get the team playing forward, flowing football as Rovers record a 4-1 victory against a team playing 3 ex Rovers favourites (if there are such things!) in Andy Williams, Blair & May. No one begrudges Alfie getting an 89th minute consolation goal & both teams are applauded off the pitch.

That’s now 15 points in 5 games & both professional pundits & parochial pessimists are beginning to start to believe Rovers are now on the up.

Charlton A…up next. This fixture has ‘form’. From abandoned games in 2013 due to torrential rain after 30 minutes whilst Rovers were 3-0 up & as rhe rain stopped & the sun came out, only the Rovers players were seen clearing the water from the pitch as Charlton ground staff & officials looked on bemused. We lost the re-arranged fixture which contributed to our relegation that year from The Championship.

Fast forward to 2019 & once again we’re at The Valley in the semi-final of The Championship play offs having lost 1-0 in the home leg. Against all expectations we win the game 3-2 taking the game to penalties. Marquis & Tommy Rowe miss their’s & Charlton duly move on to The Final.

So we have previous.

This time the game is evenly poised at 0-0 as injury time comes & in the 93rd minute we’re awarded (awarded, a phrase that always makes me smile) a free kick just outside Charlton’s box to the right hand side of the goal. Up steps Tommy Rowe to curl a shot into the far left hand corner of the goal as the keeper stretches with every sinew in body to reach a ball destined to bulge the back of the net & send the home supporters away happy.

The ‘Footballing Gods’ have put right the wrongs of past battles & The Rovers ‘battle wagon’ moves on.

With Fleetwood Town & Lincoln City at home in the next two fixtures I can only see forward momentum.

The corner has well & truly been turned as Rovers approach December in the top half of the division.

You heard it here first.

Just a couple of pedantic points to make, Colin. In the first leg of our semi-final play-off with Charlton, we lost 2-1. We were 2 goals down, but Matty Blair gave us hope with a towering header in the last minute.

Regarding the abandoned game, I'm not as convinced as some that we were certs to win the game. Charlton had just scored to make it 3-1, and Paul Keegan got sent off. A hard second half was in prospect.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 10, 2021, 09:06:28 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Wigan-Draw
Morecambe win
Plymouth win
Ipswich Lose
MK Dons Lose

Then four draws and a loss at Charlton.

Walshy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 10, 2021, 09:31:55 pm by Walshy »
Wigan - defeat
Morecambe - draw or defeat
Plymouth - draw
Ipswich - loss (just hope it isn't a hammering)
Mk dons - win
Crewe - postponed

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 10, 2021, 09:52:12 pm by Colin C No.3 »

So we have previous.

You heard it here first.

Just a couple of pedantic points to make, Colin. In the first leg of our semi-final play-off with Charlton, we lost 2-1. We were 2 goals down, but Matty Blair gave us hope with a towering header in the last minute.

Regarding the abandoned game, I'm not as convinced as some that we were certs to win the game. Charlton had just scored to make it 3-1, and Paul Keegan got sent off. A hard second half was in prospect.
You be as pedantic as you want Steve, as I said, we owe them one.

It’s written in ‘the stars’ my friend.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 10, 2021, 11:36:21 pm by keith79 »
A win at Wigan will do nicely

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 11, 2021, 05:58:29 am by Donnywolf »
.... and lets face it as unlikely as a win at Wigan seems it is perhaps 10,000 times MORE likely than the OP prediction

If they do all play out CCNo3 would "walk it" if he does PvO  :scarf:

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 11, 2021, 10:31:29 am by goalkick »
Hope you are spot on Colin. Let’s hope a miracle today after all its football and it’s a strange game. :scarf:

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 11, 2021, 10:32:37 am by bedale rover »

So we have previous.

You heard it here first.

Any idea how long a piece of string is?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 11, 2021, 11:07:19 am by Dutch Uncle »
I think Colin’s prediction is more likely than at least two other relatively recent occasions I can remember:

16 August 2003 and we had just lost (again :() to Yeovil at home, and were in 17th position with 9 points from 8 games. High flying Oxford next up. The following 15 matches produced 40 points – 13 wins and 1 draw and one defeat. We were of course crowned champions with 92 points the following May.

20 December 2008 and we had just lost at home to eventual champions Wolves. We were adrift at the bottom of the Championship with a mere 18 points from 24 games, and only 11 goals in those 24 games. Next up were Nottingham Forest at the City Ground. The next 8 games produced 7 wins and a draw, this was extended to winning 40 points from the next 21 games and a solid mid-table position.

Not saying it will happen this time, but Rovers have produced stranger comebacks. I also feel were are due some downright simple luck.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 11:16:17 am by Dutch Uncle »

hstripes

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 11, 2021, 11:31:32 am by hstripes »
2 absolutely magic runs of form in Rovers recent history there Dutch it was a complete delight to watch them both with half a sense of disbelief. These are the times that make sticking to your team through hard, tough times (like now) all worthwhile.

Don't want to put a downer on things but I can't see the current team replicating that kind of form but once injuries subside and the players come together to form more of a 'team' I'm confident we'll see some sort of upturn in our fortunes.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 11:36:40 am by hstripes »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 11, 2021, 12:15:55 pm by sha66y »

So we have previous.

You heard it here first.

That’s an awful lot of optimism ………

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 11, 2021, 01:23:34 pm by Colin C No.3 »
If you prefer doom & gloom you’ve plenty to go at on here.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 11, 2021, 01:35:23 pm by sha66y »
If you prefer doom & gloom you’ve plenty to go at on here.

Not in the least, ….I just thought I was the only eternal optimist….but even I wouldn’t stick my neck out that far…lol

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 11, 2021, 04:13:52 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Well now you know you’re not ‘the only eternal optimist’ so you can stop patting yourself on the back.

There are plenty out there, they just get swamped by the time others use in ‘engaging’ with the doom mongers.

They ‘get off’ on people responding to their posts. My advice is don’t ‘bite’, you’re simply playing into their hands.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012