Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 06:58:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Our club, disabled friendly?  (Read 2969 times)

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
Our club, disabled friendly?
« on November 10, 2017, 03:56:17 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
I do a bit of relief work at a care home in Doncaster, having worked there full time for a couple of years I had built up a decent bond with one young man in particular and through a lot of trying, willing and wishing this young man has turned into a rovers loving football fan. However this has opened my eyes to something I would otherwise never have seen and that’s that I don’t believe our club is very disabled friendly at all. Yes we’ve got special seating areas and car parking bays but even they come at full price. I know drfc is a business at the end of the day but I’ve always seen us as a family club that is easily accessible by the fans, and that’s one of the things I love. First I had to go through the rigmoral of proving he was disabled, which with my loose position as a relief worker and various rules like data protection wasn’t easy, ticket office not that keen to help. Once that was done it’s then full price for him to attend the game, I understand that he’s an adult but he doesn’t have a job he’s incapable of work so I’d have thought a small discount was standard, and then once he’s at the game it’s full price for parking which is just another expense on his already tight weekly budget. Have enquirer about him having a go at being a mascot for a day and the person I asked said it wouldn’t be possible because he’s over 16, that seems a little silly to me I’m sure they could make an exception at their discretion. Compare this with Bury where I took him the other week, they couldn’t do enough for him, reduced ticket price, complimentary parking asking if there is anyway they can make the day go easier. (Meet us in car park, avoid turnstiles, packed lunch waiting for him)
I don’t expect all that stuff but it’s made me see how little drfc are offering to our disabled fans, this isn’t a rant but I thought the club could benefit from having this info relayed to the appropriate person, any help on who that is greatly appreciated 👍🏻

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Our club, disabled friendly?
« Reply #1 on November 10, 2017, 04:34:55 pm by drfchound »
very nice gesture by Bury FC to do that for a visiting away fan.
Great credit due to them.  :welcome:

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 10, 2017, 04:41:17 pm by Jenny »
As I understand it, the tickets for disabled at the Rovers are the same price you would pay if you were not disabled, but they come with a free ticket for your carer, effectively making it half price?

My grandma who is disabled used to come to the Rovers, both home and away, and I never found the treatment at Rovers to be indifferent, or much better at other clubs. Generally they would offer parking, but generally you would have to pay for it rather than it being free.

I think if concessions are offered as part of being disabled (such as free carer tickets), then it isn't unreasonable for the club to ask for proof of disability.

Sounds like Bury treated you really well, but from going to many clubs with disabled fans, I think that they are an exception rather than the norm.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 10, 2017, 07:07:38 pm by LincolnDonny »
actually if you look back approx 3 years, all age  season tickets for disabled were given at a lower price and with a free carer ticket.

i remember when my wife and i went to go about renewing her season tickets the Office staff were very embarrassed at saying that as my wife is not at the age set down as OAP...........it would be full price from that season onwards................

now i know some were not keen on John Ryan but as soon as he left , that was the season they changed it, i made a slight comment to that effect at the time .and i believe i did on here as well.......i was told by the office that there was not many that it would affect and the result of that was final

now my memory for years is terrible. its called getting old..................
i think it was last season (or the season before) we was given 2 lots of letters for free upgrade for a game in the Legends area...........

i asked about it at the office and was told that there was not facilities for wheelchair disabled supporters like my wife, and we would have to go to another area totally for toilets.......also told no area for her to watch the match .....and so missed out on the program foc and meeting the players and all the paraphernalia and excitement  and just to do something different..........

so what was the point...................why was this sanctioned when we and a few others could not take this up

i even pointed out that the day of the penalty offer (which this the second season was NOT on a home match and as we live in Lincoln NO concession would take that into account).......... was on my father's 80th birthday and we had organized a party for this achievement, so i missed on the thrill of being on the hallowed turf at our beloved Rovers and making it 2 for 2 in penalties............(i am open to offers if Copps cant make it..lol)
look, we understand that we have to  abide by rules.............

but for goodness sake just a little thought would be of help.........

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:17:42 pm by LincolnDonny »

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 10, 2017, 07:12:20 pm by LincolnDonny »
By the way, we do come to all home matches...............you may have seen us in the nigh on empty West Stand in the wheel chair disabled section (we started a rolling 4 person mexican wave, for the "ticker tape" trophy against Scunny

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 10, 2017, 07:59:49 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
I do understand that Bury went out of there way but it’s one of only 2 other grounds I’ve taken him to, the other being vicarage road where again Watford couldn’t do enough for him, I know their resources massively outweigh ours but they had him in the changing room, gave him a shirt got him on a stadium tour, I don’t know why but I Think I was just expecting rovers to make his experience a bit more personal, to be fair when I first started taking him on comp tickets Ryan Murrant was here and he was very helpful with him, as I say not a rant or wanting to slate rovers I think it’s probably more the other 2 clubs setting the bar extremely high, as for the mascot thing, I still think they could have a bit of discretion there.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 10, 2017, 09:00:07 pm by RedJ »
It's rare that clubs do what Bury did. Some offer reduced prices (Orient give free carer AND free disabled, amazingly), but not all. I'm yet to come across a club that doesn't offer a free carer - though Plymouth make you register on their database before the matchday to buy a disabled ticket (or that's what they told me) so last season I almost went all that way with an autistic child for nothing because it didn't say you had to on the Rovers website.

legendslounger

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 10, 2017, 10:23:28 pm by legendslounger »
lincoln, there is a disabled toilet next to the legends l;ounge. not sure why you would be given duff info.

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 10, 2017, 11:17:37 pm by anne honemous »
As I understand it, the tickets for disabled at the Rovers are the same price you would pay if you were not disabled, but they come with a free ticket for your carer, effectively making it half price?

My grandma who is disabled used to come to the Rovers, both home and away, and I never found the treatment at Rovers to be indifferent, or much better at other clubs. Generally they would offer parking, but generally you would have to pay for it rather than it being free.

I think if concessions are offered as part of being disabled (such as free carer tickets), then it isn't unreasonable for the club to ask for proof of disability.

Sounds like Bury treated you really well, but from going to many clubs with disabled fans, I think that they are an exception rather than the norm.

Clubs are required to give free admission to the carer of the disabled person as the purpose of their attendance is to help the disabled person, not watch the match. The argument that the disabled person gets a free ticket for their carer is weak and if any club used that as an excuse for charging disabled fans full whack, they deserve to be shot to pieces.

The fact that disabled persons, a lot of whom are incapable of full-time work through no fault of their own, aren't given a concession to recognise this is scandalous and the decision makers at our club at board level should be ashamed of themselves.

A lot of positive things have changed for disabled football fans over the years, but a lot more still needs to be done to improve their overall matchday experience.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 11, 2017, 09:33:41 am by IDM »
I don't think disabled people should be given reduced tickets and cheaper parking by default just because they are disabled.  Of course, if a disabled person is also an OAP, a child, or as people have said unable to work so perhaps on benefits, yes then the argument for cheaper tickets makes sense. 

I fully agree with providing accessibility, close parking etc, but if the disabled supporter can afford to pay, so they should, just like anyone else..

And yes, we do have an elderly disabled person in our family, before anyone says..

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 11, 2017, 10:18:58 am by RedJ »
That reminds me.

Some clubs don't even have different age categories for disabled, it's all one price rather than kids and OAPs getting the concession price. Granted, the free carer ticket offsets the cost, but I don't agree with that.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 11, 2017, 11:19:32 am by silent majority »
As an officer of the FSF I have taken part in several meetings with the EPL and EFL, along with our colleagues from Level Playing Field (LPF), where these very subjects have been discussed and agreed upon. I think its only fair that this is taken into consideration before reaching a conclusion about DRFC and its approach.

LPF do not want, and actively discourage the discounting of tickets for disabled people. What they do want is their needs taken into consideration and to be given at the least, the same accommodation as everyone else. Their statement actually says this;

LPF’s view is that, in an ideal world concessionary pricing related to accessibility would not be required, as everyone will be treated equally. However, this is clearly not the case at the moment with many sporting venues continuing to offer below standard facilities and services to disabled customers and a limited choice of seating provisions. Where an existing concession price is to be withdrawn or reduced for disabled spectators, then LPF would urge that it be withdrawn by the club / venue over a period of time and in a measured way (e.g. small incremental increases over several seasons) and always in consultation with the local disabled fans and their representative groups. This principal should also apply to increases to any ticket prices and their related concessions. LPF’skey aim remains that there should be fully inclusive and equal facilities and services at all stadiums for all fans including disabled fans rather than offering only cheaper or free tickets by way of compensation. Recent European-wide research undertaken by the Centre for Access to Football in Europe and the Sports Institute of Cologne has shown that the majority of disabled fans would prefer fully accessible and inclusive match day facilities and services, that meet demand, rather than the offer of cheap or free tickets by way of compensation.

So the question we have to ask is are DRFC providing the level of facilities that meet, match, or exceed that required by disabled supporters? And the answer to that is yes of course. We have more parking spaces available for disabled fans than most EPL clubs have spaces in  total! We have an elevated viewing platform along the West Stand, and outside the Legends Lounge where personal service is offered by the stewards. We have disabled priority spaces available on all four sides of the ground at pitch level; we provide special facilities for the hard of hearing and partially sighted supporters at the club. The newly opened Donny Dog kennel is to be used as a quiet space during the game for the autistic children if needed, and putting all that alongside the excellent work that Club Doncaster Foundation do at the club and throughout the community we have to accept that this club of ours meets any and all requirements.

Disabled supporters are represented on the Supporters Board where any grievance can be aired. Most people will have seen Patrick around the ground and he, and his mum, will always be there to provide help and assistance to any other disabled supporter who needs to be heard. The club are audited on the facilities they provide and the EFL and LPF, along with DIAL in Doncaster, have always been exceptional in their approach to looking after those less fortunate than ourselves.

My personal opinion is the club don't have to reproach themselves for anything.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 11, 2017, 11:10:19 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
‘The newly opened Donny Dog kennel is to be used as a quiet space during the game for the autistic children if needed’

Would that be available to the autistic 30 year old that I give support to? Or is that like the mascot thing exclusive to those who are physically under 16 and not available to those who are mentally under 16? Not trying to be clever, that’s a genuine question. I have no doubt that our facilities are good if not great for those with a physically disability, that’s not what I was speaking in reference to, I should have been more specific, I am looking at it from someone who may have a mental disability

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 12, 2017, 01:01:31 pm by LincolnDonny »
As an officer of the FSF I have taken part in several meetings with the EPL and EFL, along with our colleagues from Level Playing Field (LPF), where these very subjects have been discussed and agreed upon. I think its only fair that this is taken into consideration before reaching a conclusion about DRFC and its approach.

LPF do not want, and actively discourage the discounting of tickets for disabled people. What they do want is their needs taken into consideration and to be given at the least, the same accommodation as everyone else. Their statement actually says this;

LPF’s view is that, in an ideal world concessionary pricing related to accessibility would not be required, as everyone will be treated equally. However, this is clearly not the case at the moment with many sporting venues continuing to offer below standard facilities and services to disabled customers and a limited choice of seating provisions. Where an existing concession price is to be withdrawn or reduced for disabled spectators, then LPF would urge that it be withdrawn by the club / venue over a period of time and in a measured way (e.g. small incremental increases over several seasons) and always in consultation with the local disabled fans and their representative groups. This principal should also apply to increases to any ticket prices and their related concessions. LPF’skey aim remains that there should be fully inclusive and equal facilities and services at all stadiums for all fans including disabled fans rather than offering only cheaper or free tickets by way of compensation. Recent European-wide research undertaken by the Centre for Access to Football in Europe and the Sports Institute of Cologne has shown that the majority of disabled fans would prefer fully accessible and inclusive match day facilities and services, that meet demand, rather than the offer of cheap or free tickets by way of compensation.

So the question we have to ask is are DRFC providing the level of facilities that meet, match, or exceed that required by disabled supporters? And the answer to that is yes of course. We have more parking spaces available for disabled fans than most EPL clubs have spaces in  total! We have an elevated viewing platform along the West Stand, and outside the Legends Lounge where personal service is offered by the stewards. We have disabled priority spaces available on all four sides of the ground at pitch level; we provide special facilities for the hard of hearing and partially sighted supporters at the club. The newly opened Donny Dog kennel is to be used as a quiet space during the game for the autistic children if needed, and putting all that alongside the excellent work that Club Doncaster Foundation do at the club and throughout the community we have to accept that this club of ours meets any and all requirements.

Disabled supporters are represented on the Supporters Board where any grievance can be aired. Most people will have seen Patrick around the ground and he, and his mum, will always be there to provide help and assistance to any other disabled supporter who needs to be heard. The club are audited on the facilities they provide and the EFL and LPF, along with DIAL in Doncaster, have always been exceptional in their approach to looking after those less fortunate than ourselves.

My personal opinion is the club don't have to reproach themselves for anything.

Try waiting 20 minutes to get out of the west stand then..........................

i also if i remember 2 seasons ago when the lift stopped working and after 25 minutes we were shown to the south stand lift .through passed what looked like boilers ...............and then finding that THAT lift would not work and then waiting for another 10 minutes we were sent back passed the west stand lift and this time onto the south stand lift , around and through offices...............
i had to keep my wife's mind off the problem as we have a normal 90 minutes before she NEEDS the toilet

we got out after 49 minutes ....and that was JUST to get outside

so after the fiasco of yet people .YES people.................because that is what disabled are ............they have to be told to get out so many times out of the lift for it to reset....................i thought it was a new game to play and maybe list us as the , CLUB DONCASTER LIFT TEAM ROVERS

SO would all the people in the whole of the West stand put up with every year of problems?

answer NO NO NO times what? 4,000?........................

there is an outcry when something simple happens

so i can tell you its NOT fun and as a carer to my wife , who i thank god i still have  in any capacity

when things are pure WRONG don't come up with all that trumped up rubbish about level playing field..........

there is always things that we can always can be done a better way

i just wonder in the terrible event of an evacuation do to fire or unknown package , what would happen?

i suppose we could always wave to all you able people from the windows while we ponder what to do?

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 12, 2017, 04:59:08 pm by knockers »
I don't think I understood any of that. Although if you have a gripe why don't you just contact the club in a more understandable way.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 12, 2017, 05:30:52 pm by Jenny »
I think he is trying to say the lift in the West Stand isn't very efficient - especially in an isolated incident 2 years ago....

I'd like to think in the event of an evacuation, the disabled people would be carried down the stairs in evac chairs given that lifts are usually not used in such situations.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 12, 2017, 05:41:20 pm by silent majority »
I think he is trying to say the lift in the West Stand isn't very efficient - especially in an isolated incident 2 years ago....

I'd like to think in the event of an evacuation, the disabled people would be carried down the stairs in evac chairs given that lifts are usually not used in such situations.

The club did do a practice evac only a few months ago and cleared that without any issues. Not sure how that was done though Jenny, but I'll make a point of asking if anybody is interested.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 12, 2017, 05:45:04 pm by silent majority »
‘The newly opened Donny Dog kennel is to be used as a quiet space during the game for the autistic children if needed’

Would that be available to the autistic 30 year old that I give support to? Or is that like the mascot thing exclusive to those who are physically under 16 and not available to those who are mentally under 16? Not trying to be clever, that’s a genuine question. I have no doubt that our facilities are good if not great for those with a physically disability, that’s not what I was speaking in reference to, I should have been more specific, I am looking at it from someone who may have a mental disability

I'm not sure I can answer that for you, however it's clear that you need help and advice and I'm sure the club would be happy to talk to you about that. Our current stadium manager has had considerable experience in dealing with people with disabilities in a previous occupation so I'm sure they can make recommendations on your behalf.

I can instigate that if you wish or just point you in the right direction. Let me know by pm.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 12, 2017, 05:52:59 pm by silent majority »
LincolnDonny,

I hope you got all that off your chest!
However it's also clear you feel hard done to so maybe keeping in contact with Level Playing Field would be beneficial for you. Here's their website with an incredible level of information for people in your position;

http://www.levelplayingfield.org.uk/level-playing-field-dedicated-disabled-sports-fans

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 12, 2017, 06:01:13 pm by LincolnDonny »
how condescending can you and jenny get?

how dare you

i realized i have said the swear words to you "john ryan" ..............see i can be just as snotty

and i know and my wife knows you ignorant person ..we live with it.................we go to all home matches and we have never been made aware of any evacuation ......

i see you dont know either and maybe should find facts before opening your ignorant mouth .or write rubbish

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 12, 2017, 06:05:41 pm by RedJ »
What on earth are you talking about?

anne honemous

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 12, 2017, 06:06:31 pm by anne honemous »
Before we transcend into open warfare with people being desperately eager to score points off each other, what's been highlighted on this thread is plenty of things can still be done to improve the disabled matchday experience.

Hopefully the club can take some of the hints and tips on board.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 12, 2017, 06:12:46 pm by silent majority »
I personally don't see any relevant points being made, but if there any I'm happy, as always, to instigate discussion or introductions if required.

The original post was asking for disabled tickets to be discounted, and as I pointed out LPF themselves are not asking for that and positively discourage that position. The people at LPF are the experts in this field and anybody who finds themselves in that position would be well advised to contact them if they have a grievance.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 12, 2017, 06:20:05 pm by LincolnDonny »
in my first comment on this subject i was pointing out that we did have a different price for all disabled and not as suggested same price as pre- oap...............i thnk my TRUE comment got lost by others trying to score points. that they did not actually acknowledge

and again i said i go by rules

i think this again this was lost on some.................
and we have many times waited on the west stand lift .and also many times gone to the north stand lift and not "the isolated incident"

but alas scoring points from others seems the way some go...........

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 12, 2017, 06:46:29 pm by Jonathan »
All I can say on this subject is that my family recently needed a bit of access help from the club. I approached Martin (Silent Majority) who put me in touch with the Stadium Manager referenced higher up the thread. She could not have been more understanding and helpful and we worked out an agreeable solution very quickly.

So my own personal experience is that we are very fortunate to have a fans’ representative and a football club that listens and tries to help supporters get the best from their matchday experience.

I was shocked to see the title of this thread as I feel that the club will do everything it can to find a way of making fans happy and comfortable.

My own recent experience left me feeling proud to be a part of this club.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 12, 2017, 08:01:31 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
Firstly, thanks silent majority I would appreciate being put in touch with that person, I still haven’t had a straight answer on why a grown adult who has the mental age of 6 or 7 can’t have a go at being a mascot, maybe it’s not suitable but I’m not sure I understand why?

Secondly, I think that Lincs has been spoken to a little bit condescendingly by more than one person and maybe now that it’s clear he (and his wife) have an issue maybe it could be arranged for somebody at the club to approach them to clear this up.

Lastly , Jonathan I’m not sure why you were shocked to read the title of a thread I asked a question, in the hope that I would get some reaction that I could read through and use to get a better idea, which is exactly what I’ve had. Glad you had a very positive experience, I should’ve made clear that I haven’t had a bad experience and I’ve been bringing him for a couple of years now, I just think the club could be doing more, that was all 👍🏻

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 12, 2017, 09:00:52 pm by Jonathan »
Lastly , Jonathan I’m not sure why you were shocked to read the title of a thread I asked a question, in the hope that I would get some reaction that I could read through and use to get a better idea, which is exactly what I’ve had. Glad you had a very positive experience, I should’ve made clear that I haven’t had a bad experience and I’ve been bringing him for a couple of years now, I just think the club could be doing more, that was all 👍🏻

Fair play, points taken and I hadn’t set out to be confrontational. I realise the title is just a question. I suppose the reason for my comment is  that simply the suggestion that the club could be anything other than ‘disabled friendly’ is completely incongruous to my own recent experience.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012