Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 09:38:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Record against Rovrum...  (Read 2380 times)

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
Record against Rovrum...
« on November 10, 2017, 10:29:46 pm by Donnyjim »
Not great overall....won 22, drawn 21 and lost 39.

However, unbeaten in the last 3! #glasshalffull

Caaaaarrrn!

1-1 - get yer house on it!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Record against Rovrum...
« Reply #1 on November 10, 2017, 10:37:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Drawn 22. Lost 38

I don't count that defeat in 1985 when Tony Simmons scored after the other 21 players had stopped for an offside flag.

bas**rds. bas**rds. bas**rdS!

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 10, 2017, 10:57:11 pm by Donnyjim »
Drawn 22. Lost 38

I don't count that defeat in 1985 when Tony Simmons scored after the other 21 players had stopped for an offside flag.

Yes, remember that. I don't think that we had played them for about 10 years. It was played on a Sunday in front of nearly 11,000 at Belle Vue. We were robbed that day, miles off side.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 10, 2017, 10:57:34 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't count that 'defeat' on NYE a few years back either, when Heffs was sent off after being mistaken for Guy, receiving a red card for diving in the area. As blatant a penalty as you'd ever see and the ref admitted it after the game.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 10, 2017, 10:58:43 pm by JonWallsend »
Drawn 22. Lost 38

That was a Sunday game, huge crowd, and first time we'd played them for years(October 84), a bit like tomorrow in that respect. Dreadful game and they nicked it late on with a goal that looked miles offside. Next morning Aston Comp was not a good place to be the only Rovers fan. Mind despite being in Rotherham, there were probably only a dozen Millers, in amongst all the Blades and Owls, to give me any stick.

This really is the biggest game in long time as far as I'm concerned.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 10, 2017, 10:59:43 pm by JonWallsend »
Drawn 22. Lost 38

Yes, remember that. I don't think that we had played them for about 10 years. It was played on a Sunday in front of nearly 11,000 at Belle Vue. We were robbed that day, miles off side.

Beat me to it Jim

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 10, 2017, 11:06:30 pm by Donnyjim »
Were there more there that day than there was at the QPR FA Cup 3rd round tie in January 1985....no prize but a thumbs up to the first one to find out....

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 10, 2017, 11:25:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bizarre day, that match in 84/85. We drove from Conisbrough. Couldn't get onto Doncaster Road at Brook Square because there was so much traffic going to the match.

The offside was right in front of me on the Poo Side. Linesman flagged and everybody stopped. Apart from Simmons who strolled into the box and put the ball in the net. No one could believe it when the ref let it stand.

Mind, we did them at Millmoor fair and square later that season. But I still hold a grudge for that match at Belle Vue.

Revenge (again) tomorrow. 

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 10, 2017, 11:25:46 pm by Jimmydee »

I played Sunday league football and we were allowed by the local f.a to k.o early so that we could attend the game.
On the way to the turnstiles a few Rotherham fans approached me and my pals in an aggressive manner when out of the blue Jackie Charlton walked through us and said " C'mon boys, no need for trouble" that certainly defused the situation.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 10, 2017, 11:55:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I was at 6th Form at Mexborough that year. When we won at Millmoor, me and our kid got the 299 bus back to Conisbrough. Full of Rotherham fans. Lairy atmosphere because we'd beaten them. We were keeping our heads down.

Just as the bus was setting off, a lad I knew from the school team at Mexborough got on. Rotherham fan. He clocked me. And said nowt.

I never did thank him. If he'd called me out, it'd have been 2 against 60. We'd have been kicked to shite.

The gret soft get.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 10, 2017, 11:59:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
More than 10 years I think. I'd been going to matches since 72 and that match in 1984 was the first time I'd seen us play Rotherham. They'd always been 1.5 divisions above us.

Re: Viva Rovers' article. You have to put things in perspective. We've been above them for most of the past 13-14 years. We didn't used to be.

We're not at the moment but we've got a chance to put that right this year. Starting tomorrow.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 11, 2017, 12:01:18 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Course, you know they'll try and play tika-taka stuff in midfield.

To me. To you...

AlonzoDrake

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 11, 2017, 05:36:57 am by AlonzoDrake »
Historically, The Millers have been a bogey team, but some games with 'em bring back wonderful memories. Don't recall the 0-1 defeat in 84/85 at BV (10,389) for some reason, but another big heartbreak against them came on Boxing Day, 1969 when they undeservedly beat us 2-1 in D3 at BV with an injury time goal in front of 19,742. The Rovers had  looked on course for a return to D2 that season, but that defeat broke our spirit, and a record of one Won 1, Drawn 5, Lost 8 in the next 14 games plunged us to midtable. But there are some great memories I still have in games against our near neighbours

I was at Millmoor later in the 1984/85 season when Ray Deans scored a wonder goal in our 3-2 win there -- what a loss to us he was when injury ended his career. He was big, strong and very skillful. Another fine Millers memory dates back to New Years Day, 1987 when we thumped them 3-0 at BV with two goals from Neil Redfearn, and one from Tommy Gaynor following an amazing Georgie Best-style dribble through the Millers penalty box. The best Millers memory though comes from the County Cup game in April, 1965. Center half Keith Ripley scored a hat trick when D4 Rovers beat D2 Millers 3-2 aet, after being 2-0 down. Fans poured onto the pitch and carried Ripley off shoulder high. Lets hope one of todays central defenders (Frenchie maybe) can do the same today.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 11, 2017, 06:46:05 am by 1879Rovers »

I played Sunday league football and we were allowed by the local f.a to k.o early so that we could attend the game.
On the way to the turnstiles a few Rotherham fans approached me and my pals in an aggressive manner when out of the blue Jackie Charlton walked through us and said " C'mon boys, no need for trouble" that certainly defused the situation.

I actually played for the junior Rovers against the Junior Millers on Town Moor, missed the kick off and failed to get a programme and I was in it, as I was the mascot in the previous home game against Bolton Wanderers.

And it was definitely offside. Dennis Peacock just stood there with his arm up.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 11, 2017, 09:21:47 am by IDM »
I was on the Pop Side that day too.. Now I think about it, I do remember lots of shouts of "play to the whistle" or words to that effect...

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 11, 2017, 11:31:40 am by richtherover »
I was at the Boxing Day game in 69 and the result still rankles. If memory serves they had a certain Neil Warnock in their side and quite a few ex Wednesday players.

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 11, 2017, 12:25:25 pm by Beerseller »
I remember that Sunday game.  I lived in Bolton on Dearne and couldn't get a bus.  Walked into Mexborough for a train to then be told by a nice policeman on the platform to "get on this one if you're going to the football" - it was the Rotherham train special .  I kept my head down and made it to Donny in one piece only to be accosted outside Wimpy's across from the Danum store by a group of Donny casuals awaiting Rotherham fans off the train.  Fortunately one of them recognised me from away matches and I was let free.

At the ground, I went onto the terrace in front of the main stand, about between the tunnel and the burger bar towards the rosso end.  As the Rotherham lot started coming in, they picked up stones and bits of old concrete and threw them towards us.  I was stood there for a good 2 or 3 minutes watching the stones come over so I could avoid them.  I became completely alone as every other rovers fan found cover and was the target for every thrower.  Finally a policeman shouted to me to move back.  Bless him he came up next to me and held my arm and guided me back towards the tunnel while we both kept watching the stones come over.

I remember nothing else except Dennis Peacock charging half the length of the pitch to remonstrate with the ref after their offside goal.

Great days   :ermm:

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 11, 2017, 01:31:09 pm by craigdrfc »
As with most on this thread I was also at the 84/85 0-1 defeat. The two overriding memories being the offside ‘goal’ and the barrage of bricks and rocks being lobbed over from the away end. The 84/85 side still remains one of my all time fav teams, and seasons.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 11, 2017, 02:42:23 pm by Donnyjim »
Not great overall....won 22, drawn 21 and lost 39.

However, unbeaten in the last 3! #glasshalffull

Caaaaarrrn!

1-1 - get yer house on it!

Unfortunately I didn't put my house on it, but I always knew they would equalise as Fergie does not know how to coach a side to see a win out. How many times has this happened under DF?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012