Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:37:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Groundhog day?  (Read 3200 times)

anne honemous

• Forum Member
Groundhog day?
« on November 11, 2017, 10:20:46 pm by anne honemous »
Is it just myself that feels we've now reached a bit of a Groundhog Day scenario with regards to both our Jekyll & Hyde season and our long-term future under DF?

It's clear that we have potential within our ranks and when we do play to our full potential then we're more than capable of achieving good results and giving some teams a good hiding, but on the same token our obvious lack of experience and soft underbelly is hugely hindering our progress.

You could use an excuse that it's all down to inexperience, but ultimately DF put this squad together and as a manager with over 500 games to his name, he should have the foresight to recognise issues before they arise and make us as strong as possible throughout the season.

Our short-term target is simple - avoid relegation and achieve a relatively comfortable mid-table finish and I'm confident that we can achieve it.

But in the long-term, where do we go from here?

If we continue our Jekyll & Hyde form before, during and after a transfer window; one in which the manager needs to bring in some key experience, then I have doubts on whether he can seriously take us forward.

Today's result is a kick in the teeth but it's entirely of our own making.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:25:12 pm by anne honemous »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Groundhog day?
« Reply #1 on November 11, 2017, 10:23:32 pm by drfchound »
Is it just myself that feels we've now reached a bit of a Groundhog Day scenario with regards to both our Jekyll & Hyde season and our long-term future under DF?

It's clear that we have potential within our ranks and when we do play to our full potential then we're more than capable of achieving good results and giving some teams a good hiding, but on the same token our obvious lack of experience and soft underbelly, is hugely hindering our progress.

You could use an excuse that it's all down to inexperience, but ultimately DF put this squad together and as a manager with over 500 games to his name, he should have the foresight to recognise issues before they arise and make us as strong as possible throughout the season.

Our short-term target is simple - avoid relegation and achieve a relatively comfortable mid-table finish and I'm confident that we can achieve it.

If we continue our Jekyll & Hyde form before, during and after a transfer window where the manager needs to bring in some bloody experience, then I have doubts on whether he can seriously take us forward.

A fair enough summary Anne.
I will be delighted if we do stay up but Ferguson still has a way to go to convince me he can make us a top half team in L1.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 12, 2017, 12:58:39 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I still don't think we're far off being a good team. We've been unlucky to lose Danny Andrew down the left. We need that equal quality down the right.

I'm quite happy with Wright, Butler & Baudry.

With that better platform, the midfield would probably be more effective but I agree we're lacking some fluidity in there.

The other area ofcourse is up top. Rotherham can count themselves very lucky they picked up Keifer Moore as without him, they have very little. If you transplanted him into our team, we'd be laughing!

Marquis needs a rest and some serious competition.

Two or three quality additions would transform our fortunes.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 12, 2017, 05:05:17 am by SydneyRover »

It's clear that we have potential within our ranks and when we do play to our full potential then we're more than capable of achieving good results and giving some teams a good hiding, but on the same token our obvious lack of experience and soft underbelly, is hugely hindering our progress.

If we continue our Jekyll & Hyde form before, during and after a transfer window where the manager needs to bring in some bloody experience, then I have doubts on whether he can seriously take us forward.

A fair enough summary Anne.
I will be delighted if we do stay up but Ferguson still has a way to go to convince me he can make us a top half team in L1.

I disagree, Rotherham are a good team that never gave an inch and were very physical, plus there are a couple of ifs, there was a clear hand ball and a clear fowl that on any other day could have resulted in 2 penalties in our favour. We could/should have had a goal against us when the replay appeared to show it was over the line. These factors could/should have given us a win against a team only recently playing Championship football and vying for a play off position in L1. Rotherham's superior set pieces and ability to stick to their game gave us plenty of trouble in the first half but we improved in the second only to concede a goal at the death but even that could/should not have happened on another day. Great game from DF and DR.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 12, 2017, 09:28:18 am by mrfrostsdad »
I still don't think we're far off being a good team. We've been unlucky to lose Danny Andrew down the left. We need that equal quality down the right.

I'm quite happy with Wright, Butler & Baudry.

With that better platform, the midfield would probably be more effective but I agree we're lacking some fluidity in there.

The other area ofcourse is up top. Rotherham can count themselves very lucky they picked up Keifer Moore as without him, they have very little. If you transplanted him into our team, we'd be laughing!

Marquis needs a rest and some serious competition.

Two or three quality additions would transform our fortunes.

I'm with you on Andrew Barry: he's been a big loss.
I know you're feelings on Marquis at the moment: same as mine! But there are others on here, BST in particular and Sky Sports who thought he was MOTM, who think he's playing well.
The problem is, who would you bring in in his place? May is injured, and in my opinion is a better player when he comes off the bench, and Williams has gone downhill faster than an Olympic skier, and it's obvious Ferguson doesn't want him here

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 12, 2017, 10:50:46 am by BillyStubbsTears »
MFD

No. I neither thought, nor said that Marquis was MoM.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 12, 2017, 01:50:38 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Sorry, bad grammar BST: Sky said he was our MOTM

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 12, 2017, 02:20:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
MFD

Fair enough. Actually, your post was clear enough and I mis-read it. My apologies.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012