Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:03:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Salford City  (Read 9095 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Salford City
« on July 17, 2018, 11:57:08 am by wing commander »
   I see they have signed Danny Lloyd from the posh...He's a really good player and a first teamer for them last season.For him to drop from a top end league 1 team down to the National league can only mean they are splashing the wages big time..Think we will be seeing them at our level in the not to distant future...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: Salford City
« Reply #1 on July 17, 2018, 12:03:36 pm by Dare to dream! »
Getting paid more, Lloyd said he was on ‘peanuts’ at posh, according to their chairman he was on around 80k a year.

Salford obviously spending big

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 17, 2018, 12:04:06 pm by GazLaz »
6/1 favourites to win that league. It’s a hard league to win, as we know, but they are definitely having a good go.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 17, 2018, 12:05:04 pm by GazLaz »
Getting paid more, Lloyd said he was on ‘peanuts’ at posh, according to their chairman he was on around 80k a year.

£1500 a week is about average in L1 I’d say.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 17, 2018, 12:11:11 pm by wing commander »
6/1 favourites to win that league. It’s a hard league to win, as we know, but they are definitely having a good go.

It is a hard league Gaz but that does seem good value all the same...How do the fair play rules effect non league clubs?? Whist I know the owners are not short of a sheckle or two,the wages they are paying now must be madness for that league..

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 17, 2018, 12:16:41 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
They get decent crowds for that division i think (or at least they did at the start when there was a lot of hype)

Their wage bill is still probably short of what Giggs got in a week for years 

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 17, 2018, 12:45:47 pm by RedJ »

It is a hard league Gaz but that does seem good value all the same...How do the fair play rules effect non league clubs?? Whist I know the owners are not short of a sheckle or two,the wages they are paying now must be madness for that league..

If you think that's madness... they were paying Danny Webber and another lad £1200 a week in I think the 8th tier.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 17, 2018, 12:57:33 pm by wing commander »
 They averaged 1611 last season apparently

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 17, 2018, 01:06:08 pm by GazLaz »

If you think that's madness... they were paying Danny Webber and another lad £1200 a week in I think the 8th tier.

Didn’t we pay Justin Jackson £2k a week all those years ago?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 17, 2018, 01:09:08 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
They averaged 1611 last season apparently

oh not as good as i thought then

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 17, 2018, 01:27:53 pm by NickDRFC »

We could have paid him £20 a week and it would have been too much!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 17, 2018, 01:35:55 pm by MachoMadness »

Didn't we spend 6 figures on him as well? Baffling mediocrity, just about sums up Steve Wignall's management career though.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 17, 2018, 02:00:23 pm by RedJ »

Something mental like that. Doesn't make it much better but at least that was only the 5th tier, at 8th tier you've got players who'll go to the club down the road for an extra tenner a week. I know because I work with a bloke who's managed at that level for years and he always bloody moans about it. :laugh:

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 17, 2018, 02:14:17 pm by NickDRFC »

Didn't we spend 6 figures on him as well? Baffling mediocrity, just about sums up Steve Wignall's management career though.

I think it was £150k. I remember getting home from school and seeing that we'd signed him on Ceefax just before me and my dad set out to get to Boston - I was convinced then that we were going to win promotion that year and he'd tear it up. We then blew a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2, Jackson was anonymous and it was Boston who went up that year.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 17, 2018, 03:12:01 pm by The Red Baron »
They'll get about 2,000+ attendances this season.

Not bad, but there's a lot of other clubs in the league who'll get bigger gates.

No idea who'll win it, but there's a couple of teams at the bottom, namely Solihull Moors and Dagenham & Redbridge, who might be in for a very long and difficult season.

Despite losing Mark Yates to Macclesfield, the Moors seem to have kept most of the players they had at the end of last season. Yates' assistant, Tim Flowers, is now manager, so there's an element of continuity.

Because of the size of the club and their location the Moors are always going to be punching above their weight in the National League, but at least they don't have financial problems. Great Escape No.2?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 17, 2018, 05:27:05 pm by Donnywolf »
   I see they have signed Danny Lloyd from the posh...He's a really good player and a first teamer for them last season.For him to drop from a top end league 1 team down to the National league can only mean they are splashing the wages big time..Think we will be seeing them at our level in the not to distant future...

Might be a "not too distant" future looking at this https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=266680.0

Nearly 12% think we will go down and more people when I looked had us to be in the Bottom half / Relegated that had us gettin in Top half / Play offs / Promoted !

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 17, 2018, 05:28:07 pm by scawsby steve »
Bloody hell, I've just looked at their website, and seen that they've signed 4 players from league 1, all of them well known at this level; Chris Neale and Nathan Pond from Fleetwood, Danny Lloyd from Peterborough, and Rory Gaffney from Bristol Rovers.

Most of us probably remember Gaffney well; he was the red-haired lad who scored against us when Bristol Rovers beat us 3-1 at the Keepmoat, and he ran us ragged that day; in fact, a few people on here suggested that we should go after him for this season.

It all suggests that Salford will have a hell of a team this season, especially for that level.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 18, 2018, 05:46:44 pm by roversdude »
Steve we were bullied out of that game

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 18, 2018, 06:01:36 pm by scawsby steve »
Steve we were bullied out of that game

Absolutely Dude, which shows exactly why we badly need a strong, physical midfielder to dish it out.

kieranDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 18, 2018, 06:11:55 pm by kieranDRFC »
Been heavily linked with Adam Rooney today from Aberdeen deal looks all but done.. Rumoured wages of £4000 quid a week! Mental

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 18, 2018, 06:23:03 pm by scawsby steve »
Been heavily linked with Adam Rooney today from Aberdeen deal looks all but done.. Rumoured wages of £4000 quid a week! Mental

I can remember us being interested in him a few years ago; I think he's Irish; no relation to Wayne.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 18, 2018, 06:29:17 pm by NickDRFC »
I know we take the piss out of the SPL but that’s an enormous signing!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 18, 2018, 06:37:26 pm by scawsby steve »
I know we take the piss out of the SPL but that’s an enormous signing!

Yes Nick, and when you look at the rest of their signings, the expectations from their fans this season will be colossal. If we think our supporters are moaners when things aren't going right, just imagine what their fans will be like if they underachieve this year.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 18, 2018, 07:00:36 pm by Bentley Bullet »
They won't be blaming the owners if they underachieve, that's for sure. In order to underachieve there has to be an expectation of achievement in the first place, and if there is it suggests that the owners have invested well in the team. In the event of failure, in that case, means the blame must be put on the manager.

The situation is different at Rovers because no one knows what the expectation of achievement is, therefore no one knows who's responsible for its success or failure.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 18, 2018, 07:24:30 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
They'll get about 2,000+ attendances this season.

Not bad, but there's a lot of other clubs in the league who'll get bigger gates....

I think more like 2.5k, and more if they are serious promotion contenders. Interesting to see how attendances go with such a massive catchment area, and with a lot of people feeling disconnected from the two prem sides by expense as well as the rest.

With a 5k ground, it looks like they'll be wanting to expand v soon with the current investment. A 5 year plan of established Championship football?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 18, 2018, 07:26:43 pm by the vicar »

£1500 a week is about average in L1 I’d say.
bet some at our club are on more a lot more than that

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 18, 2018, 09:32:04 pm by RedArmy »
Hope they f**k it up. You’ll only have Neville on twitter shouting about them been a League Club. Buying their way out does not make them a decent club.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 18, 2018, 09:52:20 pm by Akinfenwa »
A silly vanity project - all about them. Their kit colour was orange until they came in and changed it to look like ManYoo.

I'd laugh if they went straight back down.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 18, 2018, 11:12:07 pm by Chris Black come back »
We didn’t half waste some money on strikers in the conference - Jackson, Alford, Sale, Newell and that lad only 40k but massive then and literally never played, was it Gary Williams? Lots of them I must confess look like JR-inspired vanity signings.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 19, 2018, 07:23:43 am by NickDRFC »
We didn’t half waste some money on strikers in the conference - Jackson, Alford, Sale, Newell and that lad only 40k but massive then and literally never played, was it Gary Williams? Lots of them I must confess look like JR-inspired vanity signings.

It’s easy in hindsight to call them wastes but Alford and Jackson both had a great scoring record and looked like top signings at the time. I could be wrong but I don’t think Newell or Sale cost anything other than wages - these may have been high but to be fair neither was around for very long. The only one I was unsure of at the time was Gary Williams, but he had scored a lot of goals for Accrington and must have seemingly had a lot of potential.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012