Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 05:51:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Two players  (Read 12305 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Two players
« Reply #60 on January 04, 2024, 02:45:28 pm by Chris Black come back »
Harrison Biggins “knows the area”.

Sadly that area is South Yorkshire and not central midfield.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on January 04, 2024, 02:50:11 pm by GazLaz »
Of course you don't see...

1. If we did actually consider them.
2. If they turned us down.
3. If they're affordable with the budget to us compared to others.

It's not really that simple is it?  There's lots of players we could suggest/recommend, it's not as simple as data says they're decent so we should go for them is it?

Course there are loads of variables. That’s why you need to identify numerous candidates that meet the same/similar criteria. If I ever put suggestions for players in I really do try to be realistic finance wise.

As a club what we do poorly, in my opinion, is manage risk. I may not be as good a judge as others, or know as much about football as others at the club, but one thing I am a million percent better at than most is profiling risk. Getting that balance right within the playing squad is key. 10 34yo’s and 10 18yo’s in a squad would be mega high risk wouldn’t it. Assessing the potential of a transfer to be successful is massive. Just presuming that thinking a player is good enough because data/ scouts say so, isn’t enough. Need to improve in that area.

That applies to giving out contracts to existing players as well. How do they quantify their value? How do they analyse the risk in their investment? Intuition probably at best.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 02:53:10 pm by GazLaz »

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on January 04, 2024, 05:45:04 pm by Avsuptem »
Iwish it were so easy to select your employees by statistical analysis. There's a lot to be said for gut feeling, aka intuition.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 04, 2024, 07:57:13 pm by GazLaz »
Iwish it were so easy to select your employees by statistical analysis. There's a lot to be said for gut feeling, aka intuition.

20th in the 4th division is an indication that it hasn’t got much going for it.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 04, 2024, 08:11:03 pm by Alan Southstand »
Neither has a deplorable injury situation!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on January 04, 2024, 08:32:40 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Intuition can play a great part in the selection of players. Take Dave Bassett, who saw something in Brian Deane that made him take a gamble on him. Also, Michael Duff whose intuitive mind saw something in Alfie May.

They are just two examples of instinctive signings by managers who possess a talent for picking such undiscovered talent out.

It's not only managers who possess the gift, though. Some fans even have the ability, although, admittedly not many of us!

:rolleyes:

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 04, 2024, 11:25:13 pm by Avsuptem »
Intuition can play a great part in the selection of players. Take Dave Bassett, who saw something in Brian Deane that made him take a gamble on him. Also, Michael Duff whose intuitive mind saw something in Alfie May.

They are just two examples of instinctive signings by managers who possess a talent for picking such undiscovered talent out.

It's not only managers who possess the gift, though. Some fans even have the ability, although, admittedly not many of us!

I claim to be one such fan. Admittedly i can't claim the credit for signing them but i was sure they were destined for better things when they first played for us:-

Brian Deane, Tony Woodcock and Rufus Brevit .

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on January 05, 2024, 08:40:34 am by roversdude »

I claim to be one such fan. Admittedly i can't claim the credit for signing them but i was sure they were destined for better things when they first played for us:-

Brian Deane, Tony Woodcock and Rufus Brevit .
You did much better than me with Brian Deane - I was hoping we’d got the cheque in the bank quick before they realised what they had bought lol. I’d have never thought he’d be as successful but guess it shows how much I know lol

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on January 05, 2024, 09:18:20 am by Bentley Bullet »
A lot of people thought the 25k Sheffield United paid for "Bambi On Ice" Deane was a little deer.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on January 05, 2024, 09:28:12 am by Colin C No.3 »

“20th in the 4th division…….” You’re at it AGAIN with your negative spouting.

I tell you what, let’s have a little bet (all proceeds going to the academy).

I propose that for every place above 10th Rovers finish this year in League 2 (it’s no longer called the 4th division…keep up) you cough up a tenner, I will do likewise for every place they finish below 10th.

And since you can’t bring yourself to admit that your condescending, negative statement that “Joe Ironside will not score more than 10 league goals in normal play” I will pledge £10 for for every goal during normal play that has him scoring less than the 10 goals you arbitrarily predicted & likewise you pledge £10 to the academy for every goal he scores above 10 in the league during normal play by the end of the season.

So, ‘witnessed’ by all forum members who read this post, are you game?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on January 05, 2024, 09:38:13 am by Chris Black come back »
We are currently ranked 19th in League Two.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on January 05, 2024, 09:47:15 am by selby »
  The players we are signing is more to do with the money we can afford to spend on them than any system used to scout them.
  We will have scouted and looked at loads of better players at this juncture of their careers who we would have liked to have signed if we could afford them.
  The aim has to be to bring on players to be better with coaching and giving them the opportunity, none we have signed for quite a while have reached their best, quite a few in the first team only now starting to become the players they can become because they have had the game time at league level, Faal, Nixon, Bailey good examples.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on January 05, 2024, 09:50:57 am by Colin C No.3 »

And Joe Ironside is 3 goals away from GazLaz’s ‘plucked out of the air’ comment that he won’t (not even won’t ‘in my opinion’) but won’t score 10 league goals during open play this season.

He currently has 7 & on Saturday (7th of January!) he has an opportunity to add to that 7.

So getting Rovers current position one place lower than it actually is shouldn’t surprise anyone Chris Black.

Plus, how do we know McGrath hasn’t been offered terms with other clubs? We don’t and absolutely GazLaz doesn’t!

Rovers will have been a huge pull for the lad given he’s a Donny boy & his dad played for the club.

Someone needs to learn to read between the lines & stop looking at graphs, xg’s & stats to use as his guide to all signings.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 09:59:13 am by Colin C No.3 »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on January 05, 2024, 09:56:46 am by dickos1 »

He was suggesting our position at the end of the season. Everyone can read where we are halfway through the season

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on January 05, 2024, 10:06:47 am by DonnyOsmond »

And Joe Ironside is 3 goals away from GazLaz’s ‘plucked out of the air’ comment that he won’t (not even won’t ‘in my opinion’) but won’t score 10 league goals during open play this season.

He currently has 7 & on Saturday (7th of January!) he has an opportunity to add to that 7.

So getting Rovers current position one place lower than it actually is shouldn’t surprise anyone Chris Black.

Plus, how do we know McGrath hasn’t been offered terms with other clubs? We don’t and absolutely GazLaz doesn’t!

Rovers will have been a huge pull for the lad given he’s a Donny boy & his dad played for the club.

Someone needs to learn to read between the lines & stop looking at graphs, xg’s & stats to use as his guide to all signings.

8 of your last 12 posts have been about one member of this forum. Do you think you might have a problem?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on January 05, 2024, 10:29:10 am by GazLaz »

I propose that for every place above 10th Rovers finish this year in League 2 (it’s no longer called the 4th division…keep up) you cough up a tenner, I will do likewise for every place they finish below 10th.

And since you can’t bring yourself to admit that your condescending, negative statement that “Joe Ironside will not score more than 10 league goals in normal play” I will pledge £10 for for every goal during normal play that has him scoring less than the 10 goals you arbitrarily predicted & likewise you pledge £10 to the academy for every goal he scores above 10 in the league during normal play by the end of the season.

Yes. Absolutely game. *handshake*

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on January 05, 2024, 10:41:20 am by Colin C No.3 »

Yes. Absolutely game. *handshake*

Yay! Job done. *handshake* (if it makes you feel better!).

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on January 05, 2024, 11:17:57 am by Chris the Rover »
Not wishing to take sides in the Colin C v Gazlaz saga, but I hope the former is right as I will then have a big wedge coming back from the bookies

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on January 05, 2024, 11:05:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
To finish in the top 10, we'll probably need something like 40 points from the last 21 games.

Say
P21 W12 D4 L5

I'm usually an optimist, but that's not going to happen is it?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on January 06, 2024, 01:37:03 am by GazLaz »
To finish in the top 10, we'll probably need something like 40 points from the last 21 games.

Say
P21 W12 D4 L5

38 points absolute minimum. That’s 13 points more than we are likely to get.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on January 06, 2024, 10:21:13 am by Colin C No.3 »

8 of your last 12 posts have been about one member of this forum. Do you think you might have a problem?

Surely you’ve heard of ‘Puppy Love’?!

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on January 06, 2024, 10:36:58 am by pib »
Don’t think the top 10 thing will happen but I think Ironside will easily beat the 10 open play goals if he continues to play every week.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 06, 2024, 11:15:18 am by EasyforDennis »
Remember some years ago Barnsley were bottom and ended up in the play offs and got promoted. Anything is possible.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on January 06, 2024, 12:13:56 pm by Nudga »
Ironside will get 20 league goals and we will get the last play off spot.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on January 06, 2024, 12:32:24 pm by Paul Simpson »
Well said Nudga!! That’s the Spirit!

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on January 06, 2024, 01:00:03 pm by Butchers Red »
6th for me and then win play offs

RTID

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on January 06, 2024, 01:03:07 pm by Barmby Rover »
I am pleased with the signings that GM has made, but it is too late for play-offs now I fear.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on January 06, 2024, 01:55:26 pm by Paul Simpson »
Very unlikely but dare to dream!! Come on you Reds!!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on January 06, 2024, 02:23:23 pm by dickos1 »

Say
P21 W12 D4 L5

You’re usually an optimist

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on January 06, 2024, 03:05:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Say
P21 W12 D4 L5

You’re usually an optimist

Yep. An optimist. Not an "away with the fairies" reality-denier. It doesn't surprise me that you don't understand the difference.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012