Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:37:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 11,618 Rovers fans  (Read 1132 times)

Padge_DRFC, Pliskin, Filo, CBMF, DMnumber4, ravenrover, Owl in peace, MachoMadness and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
11,618 Rovers fans
« on May 13, 2024, 05:42:40 pm by VivaRovers »
That's how many were there on Friday night, given the smaller away section afforded Crewe.

Surely that's the most Rovers fans that have been in the Keepmoat/Eco-Power for a game since it opened?

Which in turn, by my reckoning, would make it the biggest attendance of Rovers fans for a game – aside from the finals at Wembley and Cardiff – since the Liverpool FA Cup replay in 1974.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: 11,618 Rovers fans
« Reply #1 on May 13, 2024, 05:46:51 pm by idler »
I hope that some enjoyed it so much that they want to come back at the beginning of the season. It is games like Friday and Barrow where the emotion and passion is shared right across the crowd.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 13, 2024, 06:27:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
That's how many were there on Friday night, given the smaller away section afforded Crewe.

Surely that's the most Rovers fans that have been in the Keepmoat/Eco-Power for a game since it opened?

Which in turn, by my reckoning, would make it the biggest attendance of Rovers fans for a game – aside from the finals at Wembley and Cardiff – since the Liverpool FA Cup replay in 1974.

It felt like it was but the record is @12500 v Swansea in 2010, the famous Donnybob challenge. The Swansea fans had the smaller section in the North East corner.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 13, 2024, 08:18:35 pm by Padge_DRFC »
4000 more than the last play offs. Probably would have been more in a bigger ground

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 13, 2024, 08:25:37 pm by phil o sophical »
I think I would quite happily settle for 11,618 rovers fans every home game

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 13, 2024, 08:49:11 pm by colincramb »
I honestly think we could have sold out the whole ground purely to home fans, if it was an option. Not many clubs at this level could do that.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 13, 2024, 08:59:45 pm by DRFC_AjA »
And remember that was just from STH and 1 ticket per person with a purchase history. Shows how big the potential really is

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 13, 2024, 09:06:51 pm by Colin C No.3 »
If we start next season with a home game against ‘local opponents’, & win that game comprehensively, plus on the back of good player recruitment, the Eco has the potential for an average home gate of 8k plus imo.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 13, 2024, 11:48:58 pm by VivaRovers »

It felt like it was but the record is @12500 v Swansea in 2010, the famous Donnybob challenge. The Swansea fans had the smaller section in the North East corner.

Yeah a bit more digging and there were also about 500 more home fans than we had on Friday at our last home game of the 2012-13 season against Brentford.

And most likely (given the overall attendance figure) the number of home fans at the game against Palace in April 2011 when the club made it free entry will have exceeded Friday.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on Today at 01:13:20 am by Surrey Rover »

Definitely the 70s but probably the match v Derby County in August 76 when just under 15000 were in Belle Vue that evening.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on Today at 07:58:04 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well it's good to know the audience is there. If we can carry on where we left off, it'll be great to see more of those faces again.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on Today at 08:08:33 am by roversdude »
It’s a shame that the majority of football fans are so fickle

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on Today at 08:25:16 am by Campsall rover »

Yeah a bit more digging and there were also about 500 more home fans than we had on Friday at our last home game of the 2012-13 season against Brentford.

And most likely (given the overall attendance figure) the number of home fans at the game against Palace in April 2011 when the club made it free entry will have exceeded Friday.
Viva just a point to mention on your post. The last Away game in 2012/13 season was at Brentford of course not at home.
The last home game the week before was at home to Notts County which we lost 0-1 gate 12.624 of which there was a big away following.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:28:28 am by Campsall rover »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on Today at 08:53:27 am by pib »

Viva just a point to mention on your post. The last Away game in 2012/13 season was at Brentford of course not at home.
The last home game the week before was at home to Notts County which we lost 0-1 gate 12.624 of which there was a big away following.

Wasn’t a very big away following against Notts Co. You can see them on here in the East side of North Stand. Certainly not even as many as Crewe brought the other day.

https://youtu.be/jKVSRbHGqyA?si=dgZCOmTj1Bm1EiVS

Edit - managed to look it up, it was 695, so 11929 home supporters in the ground that day.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:56:40 am by pib »

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on Today at 09:16:25 am by Michael Shaw »

I don’t think the majority of fans are fickle they just have other demands on their money and time. Following any football team is not something any club can demand, especially without putting in the effort. There are plenty of sports to follow as well as plenty of other football clubs.

Not every fan wants to go to the stadium, any more than they want to watch a film at the cinema when they can watch in the comfort of their own home. Some fans don’t want the hassle of parking, sitting for 2 hours on hard seats, getting cold or wet, keep getting up for other people to come past, poor food, people stood up in front, the list is endless. But they made the effort in the playoffs and the weather was good, with the expectation of a WIN.

There are a handful of die hard fans who are happy with the journey, win or lose, but many fans want to see commitment from the club and players and a desire to fight to win every game. Throwing away a 2-0 lead didn’t do the club any favours from the potential fans who only turned up to see one game and Rovers lost it. There is a certain arrogance when  VSC fans think that everyone else should have the same level of interest in the same football club that they have. Three years of rubbish and still stuck in league two for another season has lost the trust of a lot of followers who would have come back.

That’s not to say I won’t always follow this club and am looking forward to next season, but I understand why so many potential followers want value for money and expect more from the players.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:19:27 am by Michael Shaw »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on Today at 09:20:54 am by Campsall rover »

Wasn’t a very big away following against Notts Co. You can see them on here in the East side of North Stand. Certainly not even as many as Crewe brought the other day.

Edit - managed to look it up, it was 695, so 11929 home supporters in the ground that day.
Really surprised at those figures pip. My memory must be playing tricks. Notts C have always brought large followings to games at the Keepmoat/Eco.  695 seems a vey low figure.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on Today at 09:48:26 am by drfcsteve »
Such a shame only a couple of teams next season will bring decent followings. I think we’ll get used to only seeing 500 or so in the away end.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on Today at 09:57:03 am by silent majority »

I don’t think the majority of fans are fickle they just have other demands on their money and time. Following any football team is not something any club can demand, especially without putting in the effort. There are plenty of sports to follow as well as plenty of other football clubs.

Not every fan wants to go to the stadium, any more than they want to watch a film at the cinema when they can watch in the comfort of their own home. Some fans don’t want the hassle of parking, sitting for 2 hours on hard seats, getting cold or wet, keep getting up for other people to come past, poor food, people stood up in front, the list is endless. But they made the effort in the playoffs and the weather was good, with the expectation of a WIN.

There are a handful of die hard fans who are happy with the journey, win or lose, but many fans want to see commitment from the club and players and a desire to fight to win every game. Throwing away a 2-0 lead didn’t do the club any favours from the potential fans who only turned up to see one game and Rovers lost it. There is a certain arrogance when  VSC fans think that everyone else should have the same level of interest in the same football club that they have. Three years of rubbish and still stuck in league two for another season has lost the trust of a lot of followers who would have come back.

That’s not to say I won’t always follow this club and am looking forward to next season, but I understand why so many potential followers want value for money and expect more from the players.

Point of correction here Michael.

There is a certain arrogance when  VSC fans think that everyone else should have the same level of interest

This has nothing to do with the VSC, people are free to post on here and express their opinions just as you have chosen to do so.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on Today at 10:17:37 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Point of correction here Michael.

There is a certain arrogance when  VSC fans think that everyone else should have the same level of interest

This has nothing to do with the VSC, people are free to post on here and express their opinions just as you have chosen to do so.

Was just about to say the same. Bit of an irony using this platform to make a  point, which is mostly valid. Just fans the same as you.

As most have said, it's about converting some of those who enjoyed their recent visits to the Eco into more regular attendees, even if it's just via basic memberships or flexi tickets if they are unable to committ to full season memberships. I would guess quite alot of faith has been restored and hopefully more folk will invest in McCann. Time over the summer will tell.

I'd conveniently forgotten about that Notts Co game on that beach of a pitch. Can't believe it's ten years ago.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on Today at 10:31:33 am by pib »

Really surprised at those figures pip. My memory must be playing tricks. Notts C have always brought large followings to games at the Keepmoat/Eco.  695 seems a vey low figure.

I think they've only brought large followings last season, and the time they beat us in the FA Cup when we were in the Championship (Saunders was manager)

The number for that game in 2013 is in the match report here if you don't believe me: https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2013/april/match-report--20042013/

TinyPortal © 2005-2012