Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:28:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: French sour grapes?  (Read 1493 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
French sour grapes?
« on December 23, 2022, 06:26:31 pm by drfchound »
From the BBC sport website:

Aston Villa boss Unai Emery plans to speak to goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez about his celebrations following Argentina's World Cup win.

Martinez has been criticised for some of his actions after Sunday's final, which included a rude gesture with his Golden Glove award.

He also mocked France striker Kylian Mbappe.

"When you have big emotion, sometimes it is difficult to control it," said Emery.

"I will speak to him next week about some celebrations but I respect that he is now under the national team and when he will be with us, he is our responsibility then we can speak about it.

"We are so proud of him. He won the World Cup with his national team and it's amazing."

Argentina beat France 4-2 on penalties in Qatar after a dramatic final had ended 3-3.

In the dressing room after the game, Martinez called for a minute's silence for Mbappe, who had scored a hat-trick for France. He then engaged in further mockery during Argentina's victory parade in Buenos Aires, by holding up a doll depicting the striker.

On Thursday, Noel Le Graet, the president of the French football federation, told French news outlet Ouest-France he had written to his Argentine counterpart about the team's "abnormal" celebrations.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Re: French sour grapes?
« Reply #1 on December 23, 2022, 07:29:33 pm by tyke1962 »

Aston Villa boss Unai Emery plans to speak to goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez about his celebrations following Argentina's World Cup win.

Martinez has been criticised for some of his actions after Sunday's final, which included a rude gesture with his Golden Glove award.

"When you have big emotion, sometimes it is difficult to control it," said Emery.

"I will speak to him next week about some celebrations but I respect that he is now under the national team and when he will be with us, he is our responsibility then we can speak about it.

"We are so proud of him. He won the World Cup with his national team and it's amazing."

Argentina beat France 4-2 on penalties in Qatar after a dramatic final had ended 3-3.

In the dressing room after the game, Martinez called for a minute's silence for Mbappe, who had scored a hat-trick for France. He then engaged in further mockery during Argentina's victory parade in Buenos Aires, by holding up a doll depicting the striker.

On Thursday, Noel Le Graet, the president of the French football federation, told French news outlet Ouest-France he had written to his Argentine counterpart about the team's "abnormal" celebrations.

Well they do say what goes around comes around hound .

Mbappe laughed in Harry Kane's face following his penalty miss in the quarter final .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 23, 2022, 07:52:57 pm by Donnywolf »
It was designated the Match from hell for England fans , as most wouldn't know which Team to hate most

I had no such problem but turned off a millisecond after my Team lost

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 23, 2022, 07:57:59 pm by Janso »
I was hoping France would win to avoid the obvious media w**kfest over their "heir to Maradona". Wonder if the queue to rim Messi is near the end yet, if you can get to the front over pundits tugging themselves into a coma because they won.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 23, 2022, 09:13:24 pm by wilts rover »

Mbappe laughed in Harry Kane's face following his penalty miss in the quarter final .

Mbappe was nowhere near Harry Kane at any time after his penalty. He is hardly in the same half of the pitch.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 23, 2022, 09:24:21 pm by tyke1962 »

Mbappe was nowhere near Harry Kane at any time after his penalty. He is hardly in the same half of the pitch.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/kylian-mbappe-harry-kane-penalty-28704261?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 23, 2022, 09:40:30 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Picture is misleading he was celebrating on the halfway line literally seconds before being on his knees on the halfway line.

Martinez was a prat. He'll be back to shipping 3 or 4 in every week now and not so arrogant.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 23, 2022, 09:46:10 pm by Draytonian III »
I was hoping France would win to avoid the obvious media w**kfest over their "heir to Maradona". Wonder if the queue to rim Messi is near the end yet, if you can get to the front over pundits tugging themselves into a coma because they won.

Broke up for Christmas then Janso

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 24, 2022, 08:02:42 am by dickos1 »
Mbappe was 50 yards away and wasn’t laughing he was just celebrating the miss as were all their players as would our players would’ve been in France had just missed a late pen to equalise

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 24, 2022, 10:09:17 am by Thorney »
All these saying mbappe was laughing when Kane missed the penalty? Where was the laughing, all I see is a player celebrating that his team have just survived a late penalty in a world cup quarter final. Which everyone would do.

What martinez did was disgraceful, throughout the shootout antics crossed the line. Throwing ball away from the pen taker, standing in the players faces and the amount of movement on the line prior should be stopped. But in the end he don't care, world cup winner.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 24, 2022, 10:54:46 am by Draytonian III »
Neil Sullivan wasn’t shy at gamesmanship, I’ll bet a pound to penny he said something to Trotta at Brentford

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 24, 2022, 11:14:01 am by phil old leake »
This just about sums up society today.  People are so weak. Everything offends and upsets

How about telling them to grow a pair

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 24, 2022, 11:25:03 am by redarmi66 »
I guess i am old fashioned. But win or lose do it with dignity and respect. It comes down to who you are and how you were brought up. Got to say i was disappointed with some if the Argentinian ‘celebrations’ and not just in the final.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 24, 2022, 12:28:27 pm by Janso »
This just about sums up society today.  People are so weak. Everything offends and upsets

How about telling them to grow a pair

And yet, you often seem offended and upset that people aren't the same way you are.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 24, 2022, 04:10:49 pm by phil old leake »
What ????

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 24, 2022, 04:13:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I guess i am old fashioned. But win or lose do it with dignity and respect. It comes down to who you are and how you were brought up. Got to say i was disappointed with some if the Argentinian ‘celebrations’ and not just in the final.

Bang on. There's nothing that says more about a person than how you respond to success.

Martinez may have done well at the shootout, but his subsequent behaviour indicates that as a person he's a bit of a cock.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 26, 2022, 12:50:29 pm by Upton Rover »
All overpaid attention seeker’s,

TinyPortal © 2005-2012