Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:59:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Benefits Log  (Read 62514 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Benefits Log
« Reply #330 on February 05, 2021, 11:16:13 am by SydneyRover »
So how long do you think this will take to get to fruition and start to pay off the brexit tab bb? I thought even you might be sick of all the couldaves and whatifs by now.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #331 on February 05, 2021, 11:32:53 am by Bentley Bullet »
I've no idea Sydney. I've never claimed to be an expert, but I do like to hear positive news. Besides that, if you're not going to accept the CEO of Barclays opinion why would you accept mine?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:37:22 am by Bentley Bullet »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #332 on February 05, 2021, 12:27:03 pm by selby »
  His statement about Frankfurt and Paris will not have gone down well.
    talked of them as toytowns.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #333 on February 05, 2021, 12:37:30 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I thought we were told that Brexit was supposed to be good for the UK by making the economy bigger, not smaller.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #334 on February 05, 2021, 12:49:23 pm by belton rover »
As long as it’s good for the UK, I don’t suppose it matters.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #335 on February 05, 2021, 01:36:18 pm by selby »
  It's already been good, you have a chance of being vaccinated.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #336 on February 05, 2021, 02:24:33 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
As long as it’s good for the UK, I don’t suppose it matters.

When do we get to find out?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #337 on February 05, 2021, 05:11:10 pm by selby »
  Glyn and Syd, the two guys who would find a fault with a big lottery win and moan about it.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #338 on February 05, 2021, 07:01:50 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
A big lottery win delivers exactly what it promises.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #339 on February 05, 2021, 07:11:15 pm by belton rover »
Unless your interpretation of big is different to Camelot’s

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #340 on February 05, 2021, 07:48:22 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Unless your interpretation of big is different to Camelot’s

Do they write it on the side of a bus?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #341 on February 05, 2021, 08:42:36 pm by SydneyRover »
I've no idea Sydney. I've never claimed to be an expert, but I do like to hear positive news. Besides that, if you're not going to accept the CEO of Barclays opinion why would you accept mine?

Me too bb and I will be excitied about it but you'd think rather than just predicting what may happen you'd think he'd be telling the world of finance when how it's happening about the progress, which financial institutions are involved, what's the point in waiting?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #342 on February 05, 2021, 08:47:58 pm by drfchound »
Yeah it would have been nice.
Didn’t he do that.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #344 on February 08, 2021, 04:39:19 pm by wilts rover »
Some of the finace experts here are going to have to help me out again because as you know I don't know much about it.

The Intercontinetal Exchange, trading $1.2 billion daily, is moving from London to Amsterdam. Is this good news or bad? Presumably it will help make the economy smaller as people say they want?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-08/london-finance-takes-another-hit-as-emission-trading-moves-to-eu

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #345 on February 08, 2021, 08:04:18 pm by SydneyRover »
I'll bet ''Jes Staley, CEO of Barclays'' would have an idea, but if there's one thing that brexit has taught everyone is get it in writing or it doesn't mean a great deal and even then laws and conventions are dismissed so no guarantees.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #346 on February 08, 2021, 09:41:50 pm by BigH »
Interesting interview between Jes Staley, CEO of Barclays and the BBC this morning. Optimistic about the opportunity Brexit presents for the UK financial sector to compete globally outside of Europe with the US and the Far East without having to go down the route of deregulation. He feels that Brexit leans slightly towards being a positive opportunity rather than a negative overall. Talks down the "modest" loss of jobs seen in the financial sector as a direct result of Brexit.

Plenty of opportunity to play the man rather than the ball here, given he's an American, he's a banker and he was investigated for being allegedly less than truthful about his financial dealings with Jeffrey Epstein. He is nevertheless CEO of one of our largest and oldest banking institutions so his opinion isn't completely irrelevant.

It's only his opinion of course but nevertheless it's good to read a piece about Brexit that focuses on opportunity for the future.
I'm not sure I'd set too much store by the opinions of the 'soon to be ex' CEO of Barclays.

As Staley's time at the helm has shown, talking a good game doesn't translate into playing a good game.

Just ask Barclays's shareholders!

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #347 on February 11, 2021, 11:16:00 am by Not Now Kato »
That feeling when Mother Nature chucks in her two pennorth.

https://mobile.twitter.com/adamclarkitv/status/1357002525795352576

Some very unpatriotic tweets there. Why don't they f*ck off and live somewhere else if they don't like this country?

The UK was doing just fine as part of the EU. So why don't those who didn't like it fcuk off somewhere else and leave us happy folk alone if they thought it was so bad?

Because there was a referendum and the result of that referendum concluded that we left the EU .

It's called democracy .

So wipe your tears away soft lad and accept it , the same as the rest of us have to accept every election or referendum we are on the wrong side of .

Your beginning to sound like one of Trump's mob .

Best response on here for a long time

And your contributory list of benefits which have/will make us better off is?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #348 on February 11, 2021, 11:16:42 am by Not Now Kato »
One of the panel on the Jeremy Vine show this morning is a Brexiter and former Brexit Party MEP. The subject being discussed was the part Facebook, WhatsApp etc play in the dissemination of disinformation regarding the Coronavirus Vaccine.  One of his comments was that 'the posting of disinformation should be taken down as it's unacceptable'.  Let that sink in for a second..........

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #349 on February 11, 2021, 11:27:23 am by Ldr »

Some very unpatriotic tweets there. Why don't they f*ck off and live somewhere else if they don't like this country?

The UK was doing just fine as part of the EU. So why don't those who didn't like it fcuk off somewhere else and leave us happy folk alone if they thought it was so bad?

Because there was a referendum and the result of that referendum concluded that we left the EU .

It's called democracy .

So wipe your tears away soft lad and accept it , the same as the rest of us have to accept every election or referendum we are on the wrong side of .

I've already posted what I consider to be a benefit to me, go read yourself and no, I don't care if you agree or not

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #350 on February 11, 2021, 11:42:10 am by Not Now Kato »

It's called democracy .

I've already posted what I consider to be a benefit to me, go read yourself and no, I don't care if you agree or not

So, you only care about yourself and sod the rest of the country?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #351 on February 11, 2021, 11:43:24 am by Not Now Kato »

Here's a message from toytown for you selby....

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/business-economics/reaction-as-eu-poised-to-lock-britain-out-of-its-banking-market/11/02/

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #352 on February 11, 2021, 11:45:42 am by Ldr »

It's called democracy .

So, you only care about yourself and sod the rest of the country?

Well me and my son yes, everyone else I dont wish harm to but not my concern. I vote for me, not for you or anyone else

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #353 on February 11, 2021, 12:13:29 pm by selby »
  Kato, give them enough rope and they will hang themselves, if you want a bet on who will win that one be my guest.
  Just read one of our bankers talk on the subject, and they are just waiting for them to be pushed into declaring open house on them in my opinion.
  If they are pushed out then they will just go their own way buddy to the cost of those pushing.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #354 on February 11, 2021, 01:22:27 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/business-economics/reaction-as-eu-poised-to-lock-britain-out-of-its-banking-market/11/02/

Perhaps you should though read what the governor actually said.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/10/bank-of-england-governor-warns-eu-demands-for-city-are-unrealistic

Is he wrong? I'm not convinced he is.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #355 on February 11, 2021, 01:28:13 pm by selby »
  They would do well to take notice of the chairman of the BOE Andrew Bailey now is not the time to rock the boat on finance matters, which is camouflage for, you owe us too much and we can make it very difficult for you to raise money when you need to borrow so much.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #356 on February 11, 2021, 02:01:37 pm by Not Now Kato »
  Kato, give them enough rope and they will hang themselves, if you want a bet on who will win that one be my guest.
  Just read one of our bankers talk on the subject, and they are just waiting for them to be pushed into declaring open house on them in my opinion.
  If they are pushed out then they will just go their own way buddy to the cost of those pushing.

Here's some more rope selby....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56017419

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #357 on February 11, 2021, 02:18:01 pm by Not Now Kato »

Perhaps you should though read what the governor actually said.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/10/bank-of-england-governor-warns-eu-demands-for-city-are-unrealistic

Is he wrong? I'm not convinced he is.

Time will tell if he's right or wrong.  Brexit history would seem to show that the little guy 'talking big' and 'making threats' to the big group doesn't work out too well though.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #358 on February 11, 2021, 03:16:28 pm by selby »
  When it comes to finance Kato, who do you think is the big guy?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #359 on February 11, 2021, 03:54:58 pm by Not Now Kato »
  When it comes to finance Kato, who do you think is the big guy?

I'm sure London will remain a force in the financial world, but I am not sure it will be back anywhere near where it was - or could have been had we remained in the EU.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012