Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:58:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Benefits Log  (Read 62477 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
Re: Brexit Benefits Log
« Reply #450 on February 18, 2021, 11:45:25 am by belton rover »
Also, it's good to see that Duncan Smith is working hard trying to write up a list of EU regulations we can ditch.

Only, given that he's been so passionate for so long in his argument that EU regulations hold us back, you'd think he'd have had this list sorted out well in advance, no?

Still, if he's busy at it now, maybe he'll not have time for spouting his lockdown-sceptic batshittery that contributed to 25,000 deaths over the past 2 months, so that's another plus.

But that’s ‘another plus’ for the wrong topic. You’re getting your sarcasm all mixed up.

Here’s a possible benefit. Clearly long term, so I await its instant dismissal:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/31/why-brexit-is-chance-to-fix-uk-economy-long-term-problems

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #451 on February 18, 2021, 02:00:35 pm by Not Now Kato »
Also, it's good to see that Duncan Smith is working hard trying to write up a list of EU regulations we can ditch.

Only, given that he's been so passionate for so long in his argument that EU regulations hold us back, you'd think he'd have had this list sorted out well in advance, no?

Still, if he's busy at it now, maybe he'll not have time for spouting his lockdown-sceptic batshittery that contributed to 25,000 deaths over the past 2 months, so that's another plus.

But that’s ‘another plus’ for the wrong topic. You’re getting your sarcasm all mixed up.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/31/why-brexit-is-chance-to-fix-uk-economy-long-term-problems

It will certainly be a benefit if/when it's delivered. How likely that will be under this government is uncertain as their previous record in investment is somewhat minimalistic, especially in the North.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #452 on February 18, 2021, 05:18:16 pm by wilts rover »

Why is that a benefit? I thought you wanted a lower growth rate?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #453 on February 18, 2021, 06:27:03 pm by belton rover »

Wilts. I have never, ever said I wanted a lower growth rate. I think you may be alluding to our discussion about what big and small mean. It seems you are obsessed with size.
Does Mrs Wilts know which way round to hold a ruler?
(That’s a joke, by the way, before I’m accused of personal attacks)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #454 on February 18, 2021, 07:28:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Not exactly sure what there is to chew on there.

Elliott is one of the old Bennite lefties who have a sheaf full of complaints about the EU, but no practical policies that people would actually vote for. That article is a perfect example. All he does is list his grievances with the EU, many of which are nothing to do with the EU, but actually stem from the totally separate Thatcher revolution. He suggests we will be better off out, but he doesn't, at all, explain how or why.

So I'm struggling to see how that adds anything to a debate on the benefits of Brexit to be honest.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #455 on February 18, 2021, 07:34:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
PS. The line immediately under the headline is very misleading.

"Growth rate since joining EEC in 1973 has been slower than in decades before entry."

That is written in such a way as to imply that our growth has fallen BECAUSE of us being in the EU. But our growth rate between 1973 and 2008 was actually higher than our growth rate in the decade before we joined the EEC. The reason that our growth rate average from 1973-today has slipped to a lower level is because of Austerity and COVID. Neither of those has anything to do with the EU.

Very naughty by Elliott there. And not for the first time on this subject.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #456 on February 18, 2021, 07:35:48 pm by belton rover »
Seems like there’s plenty for you to chew on. And spit out.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #457 on February 18, 2021, 07:41:43 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Too many variables BST to make either that article or your points fully correct.  Eg the oil boom is now fading, should that be corrected for also?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #458 on February 18, 2021, 07:51:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BFYP.

I'm simply stating a fact. Our growth rate inside the EU, prior to the lost decade of Austerity and the COVID was better than our growth rate before that. I'm not talking about reasons. I'm just pointing out that Elliott is either being very careless or is deliberately trying to mislead his readers.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #459 on February 18, 2021, 08:00:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton.

Thanks for that response. I was merely making the point that the article really doesn't say anything about HOW Brexit will deliver benefits, beyond brief, vague and unsubstantiated comments about investment and regulations in one sector.

Maybe you could point out if I missed something?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #460 on February 18, 2021, 08:06:56 pm by wilts rover »

Wilts. I have never, ever said I wanted a lower growth rate. I think you may be alluding to our discussion about what big and small mean. It seems you are obsessed with size.
Does Mrs Wilts know which way round to hold a ruler?
(That’s a joke, by the way, before I’m accused of personal attacks)

Then please enlighten me and (the future - don't go giving her any ideas) Mrs Wilts Rover on how an encomy can both grow - and be smaller? She can have a smaller ruler - or a larger ruler - is this schroedinger's ruler?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #461 on February 18, 2021, 08:57:47 pm by belton rover »
Wilts. I’ve no idea. Why are you asking me?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:02:19 pm by belton rover »

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #462 on February 18, 2021, 09:04:59 pm by belton rover »
Belton.

Thanks for that response. I was merely making the point that the article really doesn't say anything about HOW Brexit will deliver benefits, beyond brief, vague and unsubstantiated comments about investment and regulations in one sector.

Maybe you could point out if I missed something?
You just carry on chewing and spitting, Billy. Or swallow, of course, if the money shot link suits your agenda.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #463 on February 18, 2021, 09:22:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Good to see you refraining from playing the man Belton.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #464 on February 18, 2021, 09:38:43 pm by belton rover »
Billy, I’m simply pointing out, metaphorically, that you appear to dismiss links that don’t support your views, but not those that do.

And it’s hard to play the ball all the time when you keep taking it home.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #465 on February 18, 2021, 10:02:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Not at all Belton. Read what I wrote. There's nothing of substance in that report to dismiss. It is a lifelong anti-EU journalist opining that things will go well and blowing smoke in all directions batvthe same time. He may be right of course but it's scarcely a tangible benefit.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #466 on February 18, 2021, 10:20:14 pm by belton rover »
Billy. You’ve dismissed the link as a Brexit benefit as it is ‘not adding anything to the debate on the benefits of Brexit’.
Sounds like a pretty clear dismissal to me.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #467 on February 18, 2021, 10:36:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Well if I'm wrong and there is a benefit loud and clear in there, show me what I've missed.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #468 on February 18, 2021, 10:49:02 pm by belton rover »
To begin with, I said ‘possible benefit’, meaning it could happen, not it has happened.
If YOU had read MY post correctly, all this silliness could have been avoided.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #469 on February 18, 2021, 11:14:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
But it's not even clear what the "possible" benefit is.

He says "Brexit supporters of left and right say that leaving the EU creates policy space to try different things." Then he gives a couple of vague, hand-waving suggestions (in two short paragraphs out of 20) about what the "different things" might be without giving any analysis of the pros and cons. Or specifically how that might be implemented. He had plenty of space to expand on that but he preferred to spend the vast majority of the article telling us about all the problems of the UK economy without explaining that many of them have bugger all to do with the EU.

That's all grand. He might be right. But as a "possible benefit" it's rather lacking in any detail. That's my only point.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #470 on February 18, 2021, 11:46:56 pm by belton rover »
Okay. Point taken.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #471 on February 19, 2021, 12:20:00 pm by selby »
  There is a conscious  movement away from buying EU produce by Uk shoppers.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #472 on February 19, 2021, 02:04:12 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Are you trying to bullshit us that people are not buying because they've looked where things are from and not because of the price and availability?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #473 on February 19, 2021, 02:25:48 pm by selby »
Poor old Glyn, so angry with life.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #474 on February 19, 2021, 02:52:33 pm by Donnywolf »

Are you trying to bullshit us that people are not buying because they've looked where things are from and not because of the price and availability?

Im with you

NEVER in my life have I thought thats British I will buy it - even in the campaigns to try to guilt trip me to do so

If I want anything as of now I decide what it is and get it. I might not even look where it is made but I will look at the price for sure. If its 10.99 on Ebay and 9.99 on Amazon I will get the Amazon item unless I can get the Ebay item tomorrow while the Amazon one wont cone for a fortnight

I havent set much store out on buying British in the past and wont buy on nationality now

My criteria would be :

Do I need it (whetever it is)
How much is it
Is it in stock
When can I get it
Can I get it delivered

Is it from the UK (NAH - dont give it a thought)

• VSC Member
« Reply #475 on February 19, 2021, 03:02:09 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Glyn's right though, I'm not going to refuse a banana because it's from whatever country (I might because I can't stand bananas mind).

We all like to support local etc I doubt brexit changed that.  It's actually based on a survey aswell not actual real sales.

I guess though it's like tea, I'll only drink the tea grown in Yorkshire ( I once knew someone who thought that was real).

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #476 on February 19, 2021, 04:04:28 pm by Not Now Kato »

Difficult to do that when buying Pork on-line from Tesco as the no longer appear to put country of origin on their labels or web pages.  I assume it's the same with other products, though I haven't looked.

But then, wasn't that one of the things the Tories set out to achieve on the back of Brexit, no country of origin labelling? - Another Brexit Benefit for the consumer!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #477 on February 19, 2021, 04:29:34 pm by wilts rover »

Given that our exports to the EU have supposedly dropped by 60% then there should be plenty to go around.

• VSC Member
« Reply #478 on February 19, 2021, 05:14:57 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Difficult to do that when buying Pork on-line from Tesco as the no longer appear to put country of origin on their labels or web pages.  I assume it's the same with other products, though I haven't looked.

But then, wasn't that one of the things the Tories set out to achieve on the back of Brexit, no country of origin labelling? - Another Brexit Benefit for the consumer!

I'm not sure that regulation has changed, they still have to according to the guidance online?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #479 on February 19, 2021, 05:41:00 pm by belton rover »

Here you go, Not.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=british%20pork

TinyPortal © 2005-2012