Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:35:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Benefits Log  (Read 62481 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Benefits Log
« Reply #540 on February 21, 2021, 10:25:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Then you accept Belton that there is a line? A level at which a benefit for some is so outweighed by the problems it caused for others that to call it a "benefit" is a misuse of language?

Have we established that now?

Because that was unambiguously the idea that the authors of the report you posted were making. Agreed?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #541 on February 21, 2021, 10:33:04 pm by belton rover »
Billy, the only thing I accept at this moment in time is that you need a good night’s kip. Make yourself a Horlicks and read a book in bed for half an hour.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #542 on February 22, 2021, 10:04:46 am by Not Now Kato »
Here's a real Brexit benefit, according to the Express

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1400444/brexit-news-european-union-vnuk-insurance-boris-johnson

Though I'm struggling to work out why, if a farmer has to pay insurance on all his on-farm vehicles, (for example), my car insurance would have to go up by £50. And I presume that racing car teams would have to comply with the requirement to race in any EU country  anyway.

And surely, people like this should be insured....

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #543 on February 22, 2021, 10:51:20 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Looks like the Euromyth business is still in full swing.

https://www.willistowerswatson.com/en-GB/Insights/2020/02/amendments-to-the-eu-motor-insurance-directive

"The European Parliament has however approved a report which favoured that ‘use of a vehicle’ must relate to use ‘in-traffic’. It also suggested amending the Directive to include use ‘as a means of transport’ to distinguish between vehicles being used as machines, where tools of the trade exclusions usually apply. It seems unlikely that the Commission will define what is meant by ‘in traffic’. This is likely to be left to member states to decide.

Parliament also recommended that the Directive should not apply to motor sports vehicles used on a dedicated track."4

It's a complete non-story anyway. The government can't scrap something that wasn't going to happen to us!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:54:12 am by Glyn_Wigley »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #544 on February 22, 2021, 03:11:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You would hope that a benefit of Brexit would be that the Govt no longer needed to lie and deceive about Brexit. Not happening yet but we live in hope.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HawardTom/status/1363409729888923648

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #545 on February 22, 2021, 03:44:18 pm by belton rover »
You would hope that a benefit of Brexit would be that the Govt no longer needed to lie and deceive about Brexit. Not happening yet but we live in hope.

If that’s all true, then he has every right to feel quite hard done to, but it’s difficult to know for sure if all the facts have been presented.

However, in the true spirit of this genuine thread title, perhaps we can look forward to more of our own purification centres. There certainly seems to be a market for it.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #546 on February 22, 2021, 04:49:31 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

If that’s all true, then he has every right to feel quite hard done to, but it’s difficult to know for sure if all the facts have been presented.

However, in the true spirit of this genuine thread title, perhaps we can look forward to more of our own purification centres. There certainly seems to be a market for it.

Only if there's a market for the end product after purification and other ancillary costs have been included into the end price.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #547 on February 22, 2021, 05:02:39 pm by belton rover »
Very true, but it seems that Europe want our oysters, so hopefully it could still be a seller’s market.
I have absolutely no idea about oysters, by the way - I’ve never even eaten one, purified or not.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #548 on February 22, 2021, 06:42:56 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Very true, but it seems that Europe want our oysters, so hopefully it could still be a seller’s market.
I have absolutely no idea about oysters, by the way - I’ve never even eaten one, purified or not.

They want our oysters at the old price. They still farm oysters inside the EU though and their price won't have altered.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #549 on February 22, 2021, 07:05:22 pm by belton rover »

They want our oysters at the old price. They still farm oysters inside the EU though and their price won't have altered.
But there must have been a need for our oysters. So why wouldn’t there be now?
I know this is in very simplistic terms, but if we sell oysters at a price that includes purification, then the extra that European buyers pay is equalled out with no purification costs for them.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #550 on February 22, 2021, 07:58:14 pm by Not Now Kato »
If this comes to pass then it has the makings of a benefit to the UK as a whole.  Just depends on who these companies are and what they plan to do of course - looking forward to the details emerging.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56155531

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #551 on February 22, 2021, 10:30:53 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

But there must have been a need for our oysters. So why wouldn’t there be now?
I know this is in very simplistic terms, but if we sell oysters at a price that includes purification, then the extra that European buyers pay is equalled out with no purification costs for them.

You're forgetting the Customs and bureaucracy costs, plus any Countervailing Duty there might be on top of that now that we're not in the EU. Which makes UK produce uncompetitive compared to EU produce that can be supplied within the Single Market. The demand will go to the cheaper suppliers. Who wants to spend lots of money building purification centres that produces oysters that don't sell, or at the very least have no guarantee of being sold? There's already enough UK purification centres to fulfil the UK's home demand, so the current Brexiteer mantra to those losing their customers of 'sell to the UK' won't wash.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #552 on February 22, 2021, 11:09:04 pm by belton rover »
So there will an oyster shortage in Europe because they won’t want ours?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #553 on February 22, 2021, 11:14:55 pm by Bentley Bullet »
They might just clam up and stop talking to us.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #554 on February 22, 2021, 11:21:05 pm by drfchound »
They might just clam up and stop talking to us.

Ah but that would be shellfish.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #555 on February 22, 2021, 11:28:46 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I doubt Whelks Rover will be impressed.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #556 on February 22, 2021, 11:40:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Supply and demand aren't fixed are they? If you supply the same amount but at a higher price, demand goes down. So there might be plenty of people prepared to spend £10 on a luxury like oysters, but if you put the price up to £20 for the same amount of stuff, the demand will drop. Or people who can still sell them for £10 because they have the benefit of being in the SM with lower fixed costs will increase production to fill the gap in the supply.

Basic economics really. And we were always led to believe that the Tories were the party of small businesses...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #557 on February 22, 2021, 11:43:44 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I always thought that Labour was the party of small businesses. Just a shame they used to be big ones.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #558 on February 22, 2021, 11:51:37 pm by SydneyRover »
......... and the tories are the party of big liars so pretty much square

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #559 on February 22, 2021, 11:53:05 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Depends what papers you read, Skippy.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #560 on February 22, 2021, 11:55:21 pm by SydneyRover »
too right, far too right

''Telegraph issues correction over Boris Johnson's false UK economy claim

Claim UK would overtake Germany was former columnist’s own extrapolation, says newspaper''

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/nov/03/telegraph-forced-to-issue-correction-to-boris-johnson-column

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #561 on February 22, 2021, 11:58:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Obviously not far too right enough.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #562 on February 23, 2021, 12:03:19 am by SydneyRover »
I'd have thought that johnson's connections to the russian oligarchy put him squarely at the forefront of and far right organisation and his protectionism for russia shows where he stands, he must love all his little enablers dotted around the country.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #563 on February 23, 2021, 12:10:46 am by Bentley Bullet »
Thank f**k for that. We might have had Gerry Adams as an alternative.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #564 on February 23, 2021, 12:57:51 am by SydneyRover »
Einstein did have the tory supporters in mind when he coined to the definition of insanity?  :)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #565 on February 23, 2021, 01:06:33 am by Bentley Bullet »
Maybe, but was he considering the alternative that was available at the time, or now?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #566 on February 23, 2021, 05:16:59 am by SydneyRover »
not much choice between insanity and idiocy  :)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #567 on February 23, 2021, 10:00:25 am by Glyn_Wigley »

No.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #568 on February 23, 2021, 10:03:43 am by Ldr »

No.

1st world problems summed up right here

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #569 on February 23, 2021, 10:07:25 am by SydneyRover »
That the UK can't keep it's rivers and estuaries clean enough?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012