Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:03:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Benefits Log  (Read 62477 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Benefits Log
« Reply #750 on March 09, 2021, 10:45:14 am by BillyStubbsTears »
those who had a party when the pound tanked against the Euro.

You utter fool. Grow up man!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #751 on March 09, 2021, 11:28:31 am by selby »
  Oh, I am some fool Billy.  Just what I want you to think.
    You tend to think people who disagree with you are fools and is your weakness.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 01:08:17 pm by selby »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #752 on March 09, 2021, 03:54:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No Selby. I tend to think people who write stupid, foolish crap just to try to start a row are fools. Grow up.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #753 on March 09, 2021, 05:03:21 pm by selby »
  WOOO, Yes Billy you are so full of yourself it's a weakness.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 11:03:16 am by selby »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #754 on March 12, 2021, 10:26:06 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Well here's a benefit.

Exports to countries other than the EU went up £0.2bn in January.

Only need to increase that by 2800% and it'll make up for the fact that exports to the EU fell by £5.6bn, the largest monthly fall on record by far.

Teething problems...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #755 on March 12, 2021, 10:29:39 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Not a whisper about this on the BBC website front page by the way. Not a mention from Kuenssberg.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #756 on March 12, 2021, 11:31:26 am by Not Now Kato »
Well here's a benefit.

Exports to countries other than the EU went up £0.2bn in January.

Only need to increase that by 2800% and it'll make up for the fact that exports to the EU fell by £5.6bn, the largest monthly fall on record by far.

Teething problems...

Yes, but we're buying less from Germany so that should save us a bob or two?

https://twitter.com/DennisNovy/status/1369352176464756736

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #757 on March 12, 2021, 01:04:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
German car imports to the UK down by 40% in January. I guess we should be hearing any day now of VW/Audi/BMW/Merc bosses going and telling Merkel something has to be done? Wasn't that the script?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #758 on March 12, 2021, 01:30:15 pm by ravenrover »
Not a whisper about this on the BBC website front page by the way. Not a mention from Kuenssberg.
Discussed on Breakfast this morning. Stockpiling pre Brexit had an imput into the reduction of imports but still terrible figures

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #759 on March 12, 2021, 01:40:45 pm by drfchound »
Discussed on Breakfast this morning. Stockpiling pre Brexit had an imput into the reduction of imports but still terrible figures

Conveniently overlooked by some though.
The report this morning didn’t say over what period the fall is covering.
If businesses were stockpiling and over buying in advance then a fall in January is to be expected.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #760 on March 12, 2021, 01:42:07 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
German car imports to the UK down by 40% in January. I guess we should be hearing any day now of VW/Audi/BMW/Merc bosses going and telling Merkel something has to be done? Wasn't that the script?

Cause and effect?  Not many buying cars right now in a lockdown etc is there?  Clearly as you well know one month won't tell us the ongoing trend, but imports went down by a larger amount than exports....

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #761 on March 12, 2021, 02:10:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BFYP.

I agree that one month isn't a trend, but it is still shocking to see exports drop by 41% in the first month after we leave the SM/CU.

It's clearly not a COVID lockdown issue because our exports to the rest of the world increased in January. And it clearly cannot be waived away as stockpiling, as there was huge stockpiling going on in Oct and March 2019 when we were facing a no deal crash out, and that didn't result in record breaking drops in trade on this scale the following months.

I genuinely hope it really is teething trouble, otherwise we are in very, very serious trouble.

PS. Imports from the EU went down by less than exports as a percentage. 29% compared to 41%.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #762 on March 13, 2021, 10:27:23 am by Not Now Kato »
Another real benefit.  We can now buy the Langoustines the French won't take from us now in Tesco's

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/304379363?preservedReferrer=https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?465511-Brexit-Benefits&p=5695962

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #763 on March 13, 2021, 10:35:17 am by belton rover »
Quite right too. They’re our langoustines, not the Frenchies. We didn’t single handedly liberate Europe for them to steal our langoustines!

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #764 on March 13, 2021, 11:21:39 am by Dutch Uncle »
I’m am saving money and losing weight..........

Because half of the items on our weekly delivery from Tesco’s here in Northern Ireland  have suddenly stopped arriving and there are so many empty shelves in the M&S food hall and nothing beyond tomorrow’s date.

All because of that border in the Irish Sea that Boris and friends promised would never happen, and anyone could always clearly see it was always a choice between an unacceptable hard border with the Republic of Ireland or a border in the Irish Sea.

How much longer will the UK remain one country?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #765 on March 13, 2021, 02:18:34 pm by Donnywolf »
Not long and I chuckle at the Lloyds / Flying Scotsman advert where they say "in a nation which pulls together"

Where are they looking - everything issue seems 50 50. I bet a Poll asking is Liar Johnson actually a proven liar would be close to 50 50

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #766 on March 13, 2021, 02:34:47 pm by drfchound »
Not long and I chuckle at the Lloyds / Flying Scotsman advert where they say "in a nation which pulls together"

Where are they looking - everything issue seems 50 50. I bet a Poll asking is Liar Johnson actually a proven liar would be close to 50 50

Ah, but would the voters be telling the truth wolfie, or would the poll even be rigged.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #767 on March 14, 2021, 06:35:43 am by Donnywolf »
Who knows any more & its why I try NOT to post on the political threads any more as it seems futile. People are entrenched already be that EU - or whether Hancock is a w**cock and their views wont change my views any more than mine will change theirs

So discretion is the best bet for me and saves me time and ire and frustration

Besides I can react still via Twitter but with 60 ish followers I will hardly the world there either [and I havent]

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #768 on May 17, 2021, 10:07:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Looks like we might finally be able to start logging the Brexit benefits. Lord Frost is going to employ someone to find them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Joe_Mayes/status/1394290835957637128

You'd have thought we might have been better advised to identify them before we left but, you know...strange times.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #769 on May 18, 2021, 02:30:27 am by SydneyRover »
Ah yes, the I must do this list, before leaving ..................

''Brexit negotiator says NI Protocol talks 'not hugely productive'''

4 years before pulling the plug and into the 5th month after and ...... drum roll ..... nothing

Maybe they sent David Jason?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #770 on May 18, 2021, 08:04:20 am by wilts rover »
Looks like we might finally be able to start logging the Brexit benefits. Lord Frost is going to employ someone to find them.

You'd have thought we might have been better advised to identify them before we left but, you know...strange times.

So the Taskforce for Innovation and Growth after Brexit that Johnson asked Duncan Smith to lead in Feb has been unable to find neither innovation or growth then?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/taskforce-on-innovation-growth-and-regulatory-reform

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #771 on May 18, 2021, 08:13:20 am by SydneyRover »

So the Taskforce for Innovation and Growth after Brexit that Johnson asked Duncan Smith to lead in Feb has been unable to find neither innovation or growth then?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/taskforce-on-innovation-growth-and-regulatory-reform

I think we need to buy them an Atlas and tear out the pages for EU countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkk9DI-8el4

selby

• VSC Member

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #774 on May 18, 2021, 09:09:39 pm by ravenrover »
Backtracking now, should avoid holidays on Amber list

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #775 on May 20, 2021, 01:01:46 am by SydneyRover »
Listen up, this is important as it will be the first (free) trade deal the UK has signed since brexit and not a rollover of an existing agreement.

All the components of any trade deal are arguably predictable as both sides know what the other is selling and what they want themselves.

The big question around this one is, are UK beef farmers going to be protected as against cheaper meat prices to everyone in the UK. This was always going to be a stumbling block.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-57169471

added

Not the first trade deal, described as the first big one.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:13:48 am by SydneyRover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #776 on May 20, 2021, 01:41:56 pm by selby »
  Syd we import 254 thousand tons of beef from the EU a year according to reports this morning, If the Australians can match the price and quality that is a big hole to fill, and no doubt less paperwork.
  Question, Doesn't the majority of Australian stock run free over massive ranges even being gathered in by helicopters because of the size of the herds and ranges?
  And isn't that better for the environment and the animals welfare than the intensive farming done in Europe with the cattle housed in massive barns?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #777 on May 20, 2021, 01:54:36 pm by SydneyRover »
  Syd we import 254 thousand tons of beef from the EU a year according to reports this morning, If the Australians can match the price and quality that is a big hole to fill, and no doubt less paperwork.
  Question, Doesn't the majority of Australian stock run free over massive ranges even being gathered in by helicopters because of the size of the herds and ranges?
  And isn't that better for the environment and the animals welfare than the intensive farming done in Europe with the cattle housed in massive barns?

These are the figures that I read this am here, not sure if yours are more up-to-date but these are from The National Association (UK)

Total consumption in 2019 was 280.5 million tonnes (Kantar 2019)
Total spend on Beef and veal products in 2019 was £2.19 billion (Kantar 2019)
The UK is 75% self-sufficient in Beef leaving us plenty room for producers to grow more beef for the home market
81% of beef sold in the UK is under the British logo, however Aldi, Budgens, Co-op, Lidl, M&S, Morrison’s and Waitrose all use 100% British Beef. Let’s hope the rest follow the trend!
The UK exported 84,789 tonnes of fresh and frozen beef in 2019.  Exports are mainly to the EU.
The UK imported 160,289 tonnes of beef in 2019.

https://www.nationalbeefassociation.com/resources/beef-statistics/#:~:text=The%20UK%20is%2075%25%20self,the%20rest%20follow%20the%20trend!

''The cattle feedlot industry has a value of production of approximately $2.5 billion and employs some 28,500 people directly and indirectly (Australian Lot Feeders’ Association 2015).

There are around 450 accredited feedlots throughout Australia with the majority located in areas that are in close proximity to cattle and grain supplies''

Queensland is the largest state in terms of cattle numbers on feed with approximately 60% followed by New South Wales with 30%, Victoria with 7% and the remainder shared between South Australia and Western Australia.

'Approximately 40% of Australia's total beef supply and 80% of beef sold in major domestic supermarkets is sourced from the cattle feedlot sector. Two thirds of Australia's beef production is exported to over 100 international markets.

https://futurebeef.com.au/knowledge-centre/feedlots/#:~:text=Approximately%2040%25%20of%20Australia's%20total,to%20over%20100%20international%20markets.

added

The problem UK farmers have is that we can and do produce it cheaper, it's why there is no trade deal as yet.

And there's more .....

I read today the the US/UK trade deal is way off as UK farmers have been lobbying hard behind the scenes to stop the import of cheaper meat from their which has created a stall on talks.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:11:15 pm by SydneyRover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #778 on May 20, 2021, 02:29:20 pm by selby »
  Whatever the numbers we are moving away from the EU to new markets, we and them will have to accept that and move on.I think most would agree that the EU are making it as difficult as they can which in the long run will be to their disadvantage. as well as ours for a time.
  Other countries will trade with us to fill the void how big that void is is entirely up to the EU and their attitude.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #779 on May 20, 2021, 03:44:06 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I struggle to see how the import costs from Australia can keep it competitive, does t necessarily make sense to me. That is not cheap shipping.

Awaits the cheap Tim tams....

TinyPortal © 2005-2012