Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:15:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Benefits Log  (Read 62467 times)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
Re: Brexit Benefits Log
« Reply #780 on May 20, 2021, 04:26:18 pm by Metalmicky »
I struggle to see how the import costs from Australia can keep it competitive, does t necessarily make sense to me. That is not cheap shipping.

Was thinking the very same regarding shipping....

On the same topic, I saw this article - thought it was an interesting read with some good insight into meat supply/demand and standards.... very enlightening. 

One point that is made is that the UK has had free trade with the EU for 47 years, and Irish beef is cheaper than UK beef - and yet the UK still supplies 80% of its own beef.  How can this be? Why haven’t the Irish driven UK farmers out of business?

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/wheres-the-beef/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #781 on May 20, 2021, 04:30:02 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
  Whatever the numbers we are moving away from the EU to new markets, we and them will have to accept that and move on.I think most would agree that the EU are making it as difficult as they can which in the long run will be to their disadvantage. as well as ours for a time.
  Other countries will trade with us to fill the void how big that void is is entirely up to the EU and their attitude.

The EU aren't making it difficult, they're treating us exactly the same as any other third country was treated by us when we were in the EU.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #782 on May 20, 2021, 04:32:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
MM
Here's a thought. Britain consumes nearly 750,000 tonnes of beef a year. The entire Irish industry only produces 670,000 tonnes. So that's one reason why  Ireland hasn't totally put the UK industry out of business.

The Australian agri-business sector produced nearly 2.5million tonnes of beef last year. They are already exporting nearly half of that to the EU. So the export costs obviosly don't hurt them too hard.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #783 on May 20, 2021, 04:34:51 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I struggle to see how the import costs from Australia can keep it competitive, does t necessarily make sense to me. That is not cheap shipping.

On the same topic, I saw this article - thought it was an interesting read with some good insight into meat supply/demand and standards.... very enlightening. 

One point that is made is that the UK has had free trade with the EU for 47 years, and Irish beef is cheaper than UK beef - and yet the UK still supplies 80% of its own beef.  How can this be? Why haven’t the Irish driven UK farmers out of business?

It could depend on how much capacity the Irish beef industry has and then how much of their produce is sold on their own domestic market.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #784 on May 20, 2021, 06:27:48 pm by selby »
  If I was an Irish or any other EU member it would concern me.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #785 on May 20, 2021, 09:12:48 pm by Metalmicky »
MM
Here's a thought. Britain consumes nearly 750,000 tonnes of beef a year. The entire Irish industry only produces 670,000 tonnes. So that's one reason why  Ireland hasn't totally put the UK industry out of business.

The Australian agri-business sector produced nearly 2.5million tonnes of beef last year. They are already exporting nearly half of that to the EU. So the export costs obviosly don't hurt them too hard.

Why do I always feel like you're telling me off BST....  I was only paraphrasing what was said in the link... if you even bothered to read it.

I've mentioned it before, but you need really need to curb your condescension.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #786 on May 20, 2021, 11:38:34 pm by SydneyRover »

the article says 70% use of landmass here for agri is a bit high it's around 55%, but it' not a scientific article and doesn't lay out the pros and cons, although she is a recognised economist.

For example she talks about the use of hormone use as though everyone is fine with it and if the UK wants to compete it should too.

Thanks MM

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #787 on May 21, 2021, 12:02:37 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Apologies if that's how it came across MM. I do get tetchy after I've heard Brexit fanatic MPs making the same argument in defiance of logic.

UK farmers are up in arms about this rushed through deal. Another sector that was promised sunlit Brexit uplands, only to find they get sold out as soon as the dust has settled.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #788 on May 21, 2021, 09:49:54 am by Metalmicky »
Apologies if that's how it came across MM. I do get tetchy after I've heard Brexit fanatic MPs making the same argument in defiance of logic.

That's fine BST and thank you for your apology...

I posted the link as it gave a different angle.  I found it quite informative and some of the stuff on hormone implants and their widespread use (30 countries including the US, Australia, South Africa, Mexico etc) was certainly new to me.... and the fact that animals treated with hormone treatment produced leaner meat also was interesting. 

The part about the EU block on hormone treated meat was also interesting...especially considering the amount that is found in a large steak and the comparison to everyday foods that most already consume  - the example given says..

"A 500g steak from a hormone implanted steer contains only 7 nanograms of estrogenic activity while an adult woman produces 513,000 nanograms each day, an adult man produces 136,000, and a pre-pubescent child 41,000.  In case you are wondering – a nanogram is one billionth of a gram. i.e. 0.000000001gm and a 500g steak is a large steak, even in the US.
Not only do the hormones used in cattle production occur naturally in many foods including soybeans, pinto beans, peanuts, eggs, butter and milk, they also occur at much higher levels."

If this is true, what is all the fuss about... and is it just protectionist as suggested by the author...?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 09:52:16 am by Metalmicky »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #789 on May 21, 2021, 10:24:08 am by SydneyRover »
Catherine Mcbride advocates to ''eat only organic meat'' herself MM

https://twitter.com/ceemacbee?lang=en

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #790 on May 21, 2021, 10:45:19 am by Metalmicky »
Catherine Mcbride advocates to ''eat only organic meat'' herself MM
https://twitter.com/ceemacbee?lang=en

I didn't realise that...... even so, a good informative article IMO...

I'm a bit of a wild and game fan myself - had a cracking wild boar casserole last weekend.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #791 on May 21, 2021, 12:23:08 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

UK farmers are up in arms about this rushed through deal. Another sector that was promised sunlit Brexit uplands, only to find they get sold out as soon as the dust has settled.

Interesting isn't it. Why are we not commercially competitive?

The problem we appear to have is we are fairly middle of the road. Some countries are cheap as standards are lower. But the quality isn't necessarily high enough to justify premium pricing.  Commercially it's nonsensical to be in that place.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #792 on May 21, 2021, 01:10:54 pm by SydneyRover »

Interesting isn't it. Why are we not commercially competitive?

The problem we appear to have is we are fairly middle of the road. Some countries are cheap as standards are lower. But the quality isn't necessarily high enough to justify premium pricing.  Commercially it's nonsensical to be in that place.

I would have thought that UK beef growers sold meat on quality as quantity is all uphill against Australia or the US, consumers buy for many reasons other than price pud.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #793 on May 25, 2021, 07:46:37 pm by selby »
  Can't imagine some people have missed this in the Guardian, after all it must be true
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/may/25/uk-trade-with-eu-falls-by-23-in-first-quarter-as-brexit-and-covid-hit

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #794 on May 26, 2021, 05:21:48 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Trade facts are trade facts. It can only be judged in a year or even two years time as there are too many variables with covid and stockpiling etc.

It was mentioned about cars and demand dropping for those imported.  How much of that is demand or the inability of the provider to actually provide it to the UK?  In other words, I want a car but they can't bloody make it in Europe due to lack of parts from China.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #795 on May 26, 2021, 05:50:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
  Can't imagine some people have missed this in the Guardian, after all it must be true
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/may/25/uk-trade-with-eu-falls-by-23-in-first-quarter-as-brexit-and-covid-hit
Do you want to summarise the key points for us Selby, only I'm guessing you didn't make it past the headline.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #796 on May 26, 2021, 06:18:13 pm by Metalmicky »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #797 on May 26, 2021, 09:36:40 pm by selby »
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1441691/eu-news-brexit-uk-eurovision-punish-luxembourg-city-of-london-spt
  A  couple of sensible comments at the end of the article if you bother Billy

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #798 on May 27, 2021, 02:15:34 pm by Sprotyrover »
Quote from: Metalmicky link=topic=279065.msg1059609#msg1059609 date=1v622049493
Promising news hopefully

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57247758
Serbia will be producing enough Lithium by 2026 to satisfy all of Europes needs, The Serbian Goverment has stated they will ban the export of Lithium ore, They will only condone Lithium or Batteries produced in plants in Serbia. A company called AETO has already signed a memorandum of understanding with Rio Tinto Zinc to build Batter factories in Serbia and these will include facilities to process used batteries.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #799 on May 27, 2021, 04:00:47 pm by wilts rover »
Just seen this posted on that there Twitter so I thought I would share it:

One of the many tragic ironies of brexit is that EU/EEA "forrins" are now ..in greater numbers ...more likely than ever before to "take British jobs" because rather than they coming to GB, GB businesses will be/are moving to them'

https://twitter.com/vivamjm/status/1397726144460464128

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #800 on May 27, 2021, 05:21:38 pm by Metalmicky »
Promising news hopefully

Serbia will be producing enough Lithium by 2026 to satisfy all of Europes needs, The Serbian Goverment has stated they will ban the export of Lithium ore, They will only condone Lithium or Batteries produced in plants in Serbia. A company called AETO has already signed a memorandum of understanding with Rio Tinto Zinc to build Batter factories in Serbia and these will include facilities to process used batteries.

OK fella - seems strange that Nissan are proposing this then... they're normally pretty savvy them Japanese business folk...?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #801 on May 27, 2021, 06:27:04 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Promising news hopefully

Serbia will be one to watch then. They currently negotiating to join the EU with a target date of 2025. If they join, they won't be able to 'ban' exports to elsewhere within the Single Market. It'll be interesting to see how that develops.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #802 on May 27, 2021, 10:28:39 pm by Sprotyrover »
Promising news hopefully

Serbia will be one to watch then. They currently negotiating to join the EU with a target date of 2025. If they join, they won't be able to 'ban' exports to elsewhere within the Single Market. It'll be interesting to see how that develops.
should be a good thing as they will be Governed from Brussels with all the other sheep, Something will be done about the Raw sewage they pump into the Danube and their Anthracite burning Power stations will be shut down!
Be interesting to see what will happen to Kosovo because no Serb will ever agree to the Albanians having it.!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #803 on May 27, 2021, 11:00:51 pm by SydneyRover »
Promising news hopefully

should be a good thing as they will be Governed from Brussels with all the other sheep, Something will be done about the Raw sewage they pump into the Danube and their Anthracite burning Power stations will be shut down!
Be interesting to see what will happen to Kosovo because no Serb will ever agree to the Albanians having it.!

Good to see you back at fighting weight sprot

''Water firms discharged raw sewage into English waters 400,000 times last year

Data published for first time by Environment Agency shows 27% increase on previous year''

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/31/water-firms-discharged-raw-sewage-into-english-waters-400000-times-last-year#:~:text=The%20new%20figures%20show%20the,2020%20%E2%80%93%20a%2037%25%20rise.

This is why England can no longer export shellfish directly into the EU

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #804 on May 30, 2021, 12:42:58 pm by SydneyRover »
the trade deal between UK and Oz ''is on course to include a controversial system of secret courts that will allow businesses to seek compensation if their profits are hit by government policies''

It's looking like a trade deal is more like a deal between big business and tax payer money.

''ISDS is a system of private courts convened in camera and arbitrated by judges, allowing firms to bypass domestic civil courts. They were originally conceived by western multinationals to protect them against the seizure of their assets in the aftermath of a coup or by rogue states, for example a mine being nationalised without reasonable compensation''

the tories are certainly taking back control, what next corn laws?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/30/alarm-at-secret-court-scheme-in-uk-australia-trade-deal

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #805 on May 31, 2021, 12:46:43 am by SydneyRover »
UK-Oz, I'm trying to figure out how this trade deal will work and will benefit the average person, goods are traded with ever decreasing tariffs over 15 years, which means that goods coming into the UK, beef, lamb etc will undercut local farmers thereby either forcing them to close or amalgamate into feed lot style growing ......... but with the secret court system for businesses affected by said trade deal will be able to sue gov't (the people) to claim compensation if they lose money because of said deal, which will be paid out of consolidated revenue (the people)

So prices will come down on imported meat but everyone will pay more tax to compensate business?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:07:34 am by SydneyRover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:26:33 pm by selby »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #807 on June 01, 2021, 06:41:01 pm by drfchound »
It's not "ignoring" you ignorant idiot. It's "unable to access due to red tape imposed by Brexit."

Is it really necessary or acceptable to call another poster an ignorant idiot.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #808 on June 01, 2021, 07:26:58 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Certainly not when its plain they're only pretending to be an ignorant idiot.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #809 on June 01, 2021, 08:04:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Withdrawn. I shouldn't have used words like that however ridiculous the constant stream of rubbish from that particular poster is. I notice though Hound that you didn't complain when we had an unquestionably racist posting a week or two back.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012