Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:07:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Derby v Leicester  (Read 2619 times)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
Derby v Leicester
« on January 27, 2017, 09:16:39 pm by Pancho Regan »
I'm enjoying this cup-tie tonight but my mind keeps drifting back to that incredible day at Derby.

Our very first game at 'level 2' (I prefer to say The Championship) in my long life as a Rovers fan.

This was the level I had always dreamed of Rovers achieving during my time as a fan. During all those long years in the bottom two divisions, and of course the Conference, I had the dream of one day seeing my team play in the Championship.

And when we made it, when the fixtures came out, we were paired in our first game with Derby County, newly relegated from the dreamland which was the Premiership.

What a day, what a memory, what a win!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Rich_The_Conisbrough_Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Derby v Leicester
« Reply #1 on January 27, 2017, 09:23:37 pm by Rich_The_Conisbrough_Rover »
Was a cracking away day mate, 3,400+ red and whites and we played them off the park. The noise we generated was electric.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 27, 2017, 09:30:59 pm by Pancho Regan »
Derby (and their fans) were fragile, having endured a dreadful season in the Premiership.

The fixture computer worked its magic and pitched us against a truly big club for our opening fixture. Little Donny Rovers, away at Derby County.

Big stadium, big crowd, big Rovers away following, and of course our killer striker Lewis Guy!
Not to mention my hero Paul Green, playing against us! It was like catching your wife in bed with your best mate, only much worse!

I will never, ever forget that day.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 27, 2017, 09:35:55 pm by normal rules »
A truly memorable day. My derby county supporting mate and season ticket holder reckoned we were the loudest away fans seen at pp for some time.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 27, 2017, 09:53:32 pm by GazLaz »
I was just on about that day. I slept on the platform at derby station.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 27, 2017, 10:31:35 pm by Donnywolf »
Derby (and their fans) were fragile, having endured a dreadful season in the Premiership.

The fixture computer worked its magic and pitched us against a truly big club for our opening fixture. Little Donny Rovers, away at Derby County.

Big stadium, big crowd, big Rovers away following, and of course our killer striker Lewis Guy!
Not to mention my hero Paul Green, playing against us! It was like catching your wife in bed with your best mate, only much worse!

I will never, ever forget that day.

The Green Balloon tribute to Paul Green was one of the most touching things I have seen in all my time watching Rovers !

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 27, 2017, 10:38:02 pm by RoversAlias »
It was brilliant that day, I'll never forget it. Lewis Guy's goal etched into my conscious forever.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 27, 2017, 10:40:33 pm by BobG »
Funnily enouugh I was sat watching that match tonight and every time the camera panned round a bit I was looking to see if I could spot the area where Alex and I sat that day we beat the natives on their own patch :) Reckon I saw it tonight too. And I never stopped seeing Lewis Guy either!

BobG

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 27, 2017, 10:47:09 pm by GazLaz »
It was brilliant that day, I'll never forget it. Lewis Guy's goal etched into my conscious forever.

Stock scored didn't he?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 27, 2017, 10:47:39 pm by BobG »
No. It was Lewis, Lewis, Lewis Guy.

Bob

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 27, 2017, 10:50:50 pm by GazLaz »
I swear to god I was there and to this day thought stock scored with a free kick. I had had 12 pints before kick off and had another 12 after though.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 27, 2017, 10:52:48 pm by BobG »
:):):)

Sadly, I was driving. And I had a 5 or 6 year old in tow too. No booze for me.... So I'm fairly sure I saw Lewis the Diver lift it over their goalie....

Cheers Gaz

Bob

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 27, 2017, 11:00:40 pm by GazLaz »
I've morphed the 1-0 away win at Leeds into that Derby game I think. The Leeds game was probably the second most pissed I've been at a football match which was no coincidence. I'm sure Stock scored a free kick that day.

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 27, 2017, 11:03:23 pm by afro goal machine »
I've morphed the 1-0 away win at Leeds into that Derby game I think. The Leeds game was probably the second most pissed I've been at a football match which was no coincidence. I'm sure Stock scored a free kick that day.

Pretty sure he did big mark mccammon bossed that game

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 27, 2017, 11:04:03 pm by GazLaz »

Pretty sure he did big mark mccammon bossed that game

He was unplayable.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 27, 2017, 11:52:04 pm by RoversAlias »

I was gonna say, Stock scored a daisy cutter under the wall in that famous 1-0 win at Leeds in League One.

I watched the highlights of the Derby game in question after reading this thread earlier, Guy tucked away a Hayter flick from a short FK routine on the right flank, after Robbie Savage conceded one of his typical daft fouls.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 28, 2017, 02:39:05 am by Colemans Left Hook »
I had no intention of watching this match accidentally checked the score and saw derby winning 2-1 late on and thought Ranieri would be looking for his bicycle clips very soon especially if Burnley beat them on Tuesday

captain morgan apparently saved his job "for the moment" and kept him off the bottle l

however "opportunity knocks" ££££££

gazlaz see pm

by the way Sutton v leeds is free to everyone on BT 6-0 last time they met at Sutton in the fa cup down there

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 28, 2017, 07:19:56 am by Nudga »
"I had had 12 pints before kick off and had another 12 after though."

Are you Jay from The Inbetweeners?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 28, 2017, 08:19:05 am by Donnywolf »
I had no intention of watching this match accidentally checked the score and saw derby winning 2-1 late on and thought Ranieri would be looking for his bicycle clips very soon especially if Burnley beat them on Tuesday

captain morgan apparently saved his job "for the moment" and kept him off the bottle l

however "opportunity knocks" ££££££

gazlaz see pm

by the way Sutton v leeds is free to everyone on BT 6-0 last time they met at Sutton in the fa cup down there

Fiver on Leicester to win with both side scoring (damn) with a double Rovers Yeovil drawing and both scoring

So 2 wrong in a weekend ?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 28, 2017, 09:11:10 am by IDM »
Lewis Guy eh, whatever happened to him!

A great day, a great match and a touching tribute to Greeny.  Couldn't have been scripted better...

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 28, 2017, 09:16:08 am by GazLaz »
"I had had 12 pints before kick off and had another 12 after though."

Are you Jay from The Inbetweeners?

.. and I knocked out every doorman in Derby and went back to their houses and rode their wives!

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 28, 2017, 09:34:49 am by WheatleyRover »
Then the first game at home in the Championship against Cardiff Lewis Guy scored again, only to have victory snatched from us as Cardiff Equalised, also remember Stocks goal against Plymouth, we won 1-0 if my memory serves me right, what a season, then the following year Billy Sharp came on loan, remember been gutted when Matt Mills left before the start of that second season.

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 28, 2017, 09:44:44 am by WheatleyRover »
Heres that goal from Stock v Plymouth amazing
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0AWp7udPw

TinyPortal © 2005-2012