Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:27:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bob Gillfillan  (Read 7415 times)

adwickrover

Bob Gillfillan
« on November 10, 2012, 08:45:04 am by adwickrover »
Some bad news, On Thursday,8th October 2012 I received a telephone call from Bob's daughter informing me that he had died in hospital that morning. I had been in regular contact with Bob over many years even though he had moved to Scotland some years ago.  He was Rovers through and through and we had many long conversation on the phone about his days at the Club. He was a gentleman  in every sense of the word and was 74 years old at the time of his death from prostate cancer.
It would be a fitting tribute to the man if this could be announced at the game today if someone could arange for this to be done.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
Re: Bob Gillfillan
« Reply #1 on November 10, 2012, 09:03:10 am by 1879Rovers »
Six good years at Rovers. RIP Bob.

*I take it you meant 8th November?

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 10, 2012, 09:31:42 am by 1879Rovers »
Anybody got the full details on his Rovers career? I know he helped us win the Fourth Division twice.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 10, 2012, 09:32:11 am by mrfrostsdad »
Totally agree with you Adwick.
I remember Bob playing and saw him regularly at Belle View, I guess in the mid 60's.
Hopefully someone will know about this and there will be an announcement tis afternoon.

podrover73

• Forum Member

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 10, 2012, 09:41:17 am by silent majority »
I have spoken to the club this morning and they are aware. There is a minutes silence planned as part of the Remberence weekend.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 10, 2012, 09:57:10 am by Wellred »
RIP Bob

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 10, 2012, 10:04:33 am by The Red Baron »
His other clubs were Cowdenbeath, Newcastle United, Raith Rovers, Southend United (from whom he joined Rovers in 1965) and Northwich Victoria (he joined them after leaving Rovers at the end of the 70-71 season.

I believe I am right in saying he was the only player to be awarded Division 4 Championship medals for both the 1965-66 and 1968-69 seasons. Alick Jeffrey played in both sides but was denied a medal for 68-9 because he moved to Lincoln in mid-season.

He was a member of the Rovers team when I started watching in 1969, so today is a sad day for me. RIP Bob.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 10, 2012, 10:10:27 am by Donnywolf »
My overriding memory is here. I have posted this once or twice the last being May this year

It was really funny at the time. RIP Bob Gilfillan

=====================================================

It was a great time to be a football supporter except that it took ages to get ANYWHERE

Alonzo is right and those 3 were class acts and the loss of Nicko was a hammer blow for the club and individuals such as me

Bobby Gilfillan fetaured in an \"incident\" I have related on here before probably in the 68/9 promotion season away at Lincoln

He was having a bit of a mare of a game and could not put a foot right. I think we were 1-0 down and Rovers fans were singing

\"send Gilfillan to Vietnam HALLELUJAH send Gilfillan to Vietnam HALLELUJAH
One way Ticket and no return HALLELUJAH One way ticket and no return HALLEJUJAH\"

whereupon he picked the ball up on about 20 - 25 yeards and belted the ball high into the net. We went abolutely BARMY and the cheers were then replaced with a spontaneous round of

Bobby Gilfillan
Bobby Gilfillan

(to the same tune as bring on the Champions)

YES we were just as fickle back then
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:26:11 am by DONNYWOLF »

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 10, 2012, 10:18:05 am by weststander »
A sad loss of a good player and a nice man RIP Bob

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 10, 2012, 10:52:37 am by Dutch Uncle »
It was really funny at the time. RIP Bob G

DW - I think you might be better off putting his full name or some on here might confuse him with another Bob G  :ohmy:

Bob Gilfillan - one of my early heroes through two championship winning and two relegation seasons. RIP

Good to hear he will be remembered today

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 10, 2012, 11:25:13 am by Donnywolf »
... Cheers I have modified it

The OP Title needs attention though too ! Gillfillan to Gilfillan

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 10, 2012, 12:20:09 pm by newyankee »

R.I.P. Bob. Like so many others I had many happy hours watching Bob play for the Rovers.

washyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 10, 2012, 01:08:32 pm by washyrover »
Used to talk to Bob when he had a used car lot in gainsborough really nice man R I P bob be thinking of you today

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 10, 2012, 02:51:59 pm by 1879Rovers »
Club have also announced that Keith Ripley has died this week.

Alonzo Drake

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 10, 2012, 03:32:25 pm by Alonzo Drake »
Sad day indeed -- Bobby Gilfillan was one of my schoolboy heroes, and a very underrated player who could have performed at D2 level.

During the mid-80s, I had the honor of talking to him in depth about his life and career. Bob loved his time at Belle Vue. He thoroughly enjoyed living in Doncaster, and mentioned what a great town it was to live in. Accordingly, he settled here after his career was over.

Like Donnywolf, I well remember that goal at Lincoln. He had tremendous skill, and often tore defences to pieces when he was on song.

Her'e Bob in that superb D4 Championship winning team, which I'm sure would perform well in today's Championship.

Farewell Bob

[attachment deleted by cleanup process]

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 10, 2012, 04:28:36 pm by newyankee »

Team as above  David Kelly, Jim Watton ?  Harry Fearnley, Graham Ricketts, John Wylie, Bobby G, King Alec, Laurie Sheffield, Tony Coleman and Alan Finney.

Who is the ? his name escapes me?

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 10, 2012, 04:29:45 pm by newyankee »
I think it is John Nicholson, am I right?

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 10, 2012, 05:18:49 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Correct - John Nicholson

I also believe it was Brian Kelly, not David

My schoolboy heroes and a great team photo which I have on the wall over here - probably the only one in Leidschendam   ;)

(Edit: only Photo that is , not wall)

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 10, 2012, 05:24:23 pm by newyankee »
 Thanks for that Dutch Uncle, I knew it was Kelly, I also know his father ran a big coal delivery service in Bradford, which is the team I think he came from.

Theresonly1barrowrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 10, 2012, 05:35:27 pm by Theresonly1barrowrover »
I too was at Lincoln the day he hit that screamer. RIP Bob, happy days.

PS Pitty he was`nt playing for Barrow this afternoon as they lost 2-1 to Lincoln.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 10, 2012, 05:59:26 pm by Lesonthewest »
What sad news, was one of favourite players when I first started watching Rovers, he was skillful & had a great shot ie Lincoln, I was also at that game. RIP Bob.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 12, 2012, 10:58:07 am by BobG »
My nickname, which you all now very well indeed, came from him. Everyone except my Ma uses it to this day. He has had a lifelong influence on me!

BobG

Alonzo Drake

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 12, 2012, 01:01:59 pm by Alonzo Drake »
Just found this pic of 26 year old Gilfillan arriving at Swindon Town's County Ground for the D3 game there on October 1, 1966. Over 9,000 attended to see Rovers only away success that season -- a 1-0 win thanks to a Laurie Sheffield goal.

We were relegated at the end of that awful season, but Bob remained a faithful servant for four more seasons, making in total around 180 first team appearances and scoring 37 goals.

[attachment deleted by cleanup process]

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 12, 2012, 01:08:32 pm by silent majority »
I've heard from Bob's family this morning. His funeral will be in Perth this Thursday at 4pm at the local crematorium.

Angela, Bob's daughter has asked that there be no flowers but consider a donation to Cancer research instead.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 12, 2012, 08:36:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Shame that Keith Ripley's death appears to be overshadowed by Bob's on this forum, but equally sad.
My main memory of Keith, who's son (also called Keith) played for Rovers a few years later, was against Rotherham utd at Belle Vue in the Sheffield county cup in the 60's. It is a bitter sweet memory, Rovers were 2-0 nil down with about 10 minutes to go, so my brother and I decided to leave early. After we left, Keith was brought off the bench to play as striker, a surprise request for a full back. It did the trick however- Rovers won 3-2 with Ripley scoring all three!........and we missed it all..... :(

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 12, 2012, 08:45:47 pm by newyankee »
Keith Ripley Sr, will always part of Rovers folklaw as he was a scorer in the 10-0 drubbing of Darlington.

Alonzo Drake

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 13, 2012, 04:12:18 am by Alonzo Drake »
new yankee and Bentley Bullet are right, and keith Ripley has been somewhat forgotten on this forum -- probably because you have to be that much more older to recall him. gilfillan left the club in 1971, but Ripley had gone five years earlier. I'm delighted that both newyankee and Bentley recall too the goal in the 10-0 win, and Ripley's dramatic hat trick against Rotherham -- but Ripley did not come off the bench that night Bentley, as subs would not be allowed until the following season. And guess who that sub was?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 13, 2012, 07:41:50 am by Bentley Bullet »
Thanks Alonso, you're right of course he didn't come off the bench. You must realise though that I was just a babe in arms at the time (ahem). Was the first sub Keith Ripley by any chance ?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 13, 2012, 07:52:32 am by Donnywolf »

Shame that Keith Ripley's death appears to be overshadowed by Bob's on this forum, but equally sad.
My main memory of Keith, who's son (also called Keith) played for Rovers a few years later, was against Rotherham utd at Belle Vue in the Sheffield county cup in the 60's. It is a bitter sweet memory, Rovers were 2-0 nil down with about 10 minutes to go, so my brother and I decided to leave early. After we left, Keith was brought off the bench to play as striker, a surprise request for a full back. It did the trick however- Rovers won 3-2 with Ripley scoring all three!........and we missed it all..... :(

I stayed (must have been going home on Rovers Express to Stainy) and that became my memory of Keith Ripley.

I believe there was a Town End pitch invasion or the equaliser BUT there definetely was one when he knocked in the winner. Lads of us ran on and as I ran alongside him patting him on the back he "fetched me down" with a deft left leg . To this day I am sure he did it on purpose - but as a joke - and I must admit it made me laugh

RIP Tripper Ripley

TinyPortal © 2005-2012