Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:57:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: JR interview  (Read 11197 times)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
JR interview
« on September 27, 2014, 08:46:08 pm by Dare to dream! »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: JR interview
« Reply #1 on September 27, 2014, 08:56:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
How quaint.

I did so love those old pen portraits in the programmes back in the 70s.  You remember the ones.

Car? Capri
Favourite Food & Drink? Chicken in a basket and Blue Nun
Favourite Holiday? Lloret
Favourite Sex Position? Spit roast followed by sticky belly flap cock.

Nice retro throwback stylee by young Wesley there.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 27, 2014, 09:02:02 pm by mushRTID »
What a let down. Not one question about the summer. Hardly 'bares all' as it states at the beginning.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 27, 2014, 09:10:02 pm by Northants Nomad »
No, but after what I have seen at Walsall this afternoon, the total abject failure to deliver a footballing performance, the total absence of spirit, that interview was just the reminder I needed of what JR brought to our Club. He may not have multi-millions, but he had passion - I'll take that option in a Chairman every day of the week.

We might have been singing "Just a pub team, having a laugh" but I for one haven't laughed since James Baxendale put the first Walsall goal in.

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 27, 2014, 09:15:16 pm by esdailles left foot »
JR would have not stood for these abject performances

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 27, 2014, 09:16:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
He did throughout most of 2007

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 27, 2014, 09:22:13 pm by esdailles left foot »
we stayed up in championship!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 27, 2014, 09:27:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No we didn't. We bumbled about in mid table of L1 with a squad that cost considerably more than this one.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 27, 2014, 09:31:18 pm by The Red Baron »

Were you there today, BST? Because that was worse than anything served up in 2007, poor as it was.

First half I just thought it was a case of two poor sides. We conceded a goal from a free kick in the depths of stoppage time because we failed to anticipate that Walsall might not just lump the ball into the box. I still thought we could come back into it, but the second half was one of the most gutless displays I've ever seen from a Rovers team.

In one respect I have some sympathy for Dickov. He was let down badly by his players and I'd struggle to single out anyone who had a performance that was even "average." However, he made two massive mistakes. Selecting the Furman/ Keegan duo as holding midfielders meant we had no-one who could pass the ball from deep. Secondly, giving the players two days off after the Fulham game (which we lost, FFS!) meant that we didn't prepare properly for this game.

Also, God knows what he said to them at half-time, but they managed to be worse than they were in the first half and they looked totally uninterested.

Yes, we had some difficult times under O'Driscoll, but I always had a sense that he knew what he was trying to do with the team. I just don't have that with Dickov. However, lest we forget, Dickov was JR's appointment. I wonder if he's having second thoughts about that now?

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 27, 2014, 09:33:20 pm by German Rover »
I'm surprised one of the questions wasn't, "why are you so brilliant?".

All the usual sound bites from JR and no insight gained from it.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 27, 2014, 09:41:19 pm by bobjimwilly »
bit of a let down in that it totally avoids any serious questions. but a good light-hearted interview for a bit of nostalgia doesn't harm anyone I suppose.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 27, 2014, 09:41:28 pm by no eyed deer »
And what do we know about Bramall

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 27, 2014, 09:53:38 pm by Filo »
Did that interview replace "The sensational return" interview that had to be hastily scrapped?

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 27, 2014, 10:12:04 pm by coventryrover »
    utterly agree with that.  2nd half they looked disinterested, even copps.  Worse performance i have seen for sometime

Were you there today, BST? Because that was worse than anything served up in 2007, poor as it was.

First half I just thought it was a case of two poor sides. We conceded a goal from a free kick in the depths of stoppage time because we failed to anticipate that Walsall might not just lump the ball into the box. I still thought we could come back into it, but the second half was one of the most gutless displays I've ever seen from a Rovers team.

In one respect I have some sympathy for Dickov. He was let down badly by his players and I'd struggle to single out anyone who had a performance that was even "average." However, he made two massive mistakes. Selecting the Furman/ Keegan duo as holding midfielders meant we had no-one who could pass the ball from deep. Secondly, giving the players two days off after the Fulham game (which we lost, FFS!) meant that we didn't prepare properly for this game.

Also, God knows what he said to them at half-time, but they managed to be worse than they were in the first half and they looked totally uninterested.

Yes, we had some difficult times under O'Driscoll, but I always had a sense that he knew what he was trying to do with the team. I just don't have that with Dickov. However, lest we forget, Dickov was JR's appointment. I wonder if he's having second thoughts about that now?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 27, 2014, 10:34:21 pm by Chris Black come back »

I wasn't there today, but what TRB described sounds familiar to anyone who has seen more than a handful of our games this season - and last actually.

We talk about players letting him down but (a) how often have we heard this and (b) if ALL the players are letting him down rather than just some of them, what does that say about the management?

We all knew SOD's problems. Too purist, unwilling to rough it, unwilling to have credible Plan B. But he certainly had a Plan A. Likewise Saunders, but a mirror image.

What is the Dickov masterplan? 18months on and I have no idea. Punting ball for fast full backs, wingers and strikers to run on to, while plugging central midfield with cloggers. I can't think of anything else? Am I missing anything?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 27, 2014, 11:39:56 pm by dickos1 »
On Tuesday the fans sing 'were proud of you' 4 days later idiots on here want the manager sacked.
Ridiculous

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 27, 2014, 11:42:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
You are right Dickos. Totally wrong to look at this in short term. Over 18 months what conclusions can we reach about out manager? What are the consistent themes we can identify? Every manager has good patches and bad patches. What is it we can say about the 18 months that Mr Dickov has been in charge?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 27, 2014, 11:44:53 pm by dickos1 »
With what has happened this season I don't think we can say anything other than he is doing a decent job

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 27, 2014, 11:48:31 pm by Chris Black come back »
True. Last season was difficult but he was given a budget big enough to give us a fighting chance of staying up. With precious few injuries at end of season he and the team totally blew it. That capitulation was a real low point in recent years.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 28, 2014, 12:32:54 am by bpoolrover »
Let's be honest what ever people think of last season maybe it was his fault we got relegated u can't blame him this season,I hope he walks tomorrow only as it will give the board no option but to strengthen the squad,yes as fans we want to see the club run well and make money,but as fans the main thing is we get value for money,I'm grateful for what terry and dick have done but please do that little bit more and give us something worthwhile on a sat afternoon rather than it does not matter as the books balance

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 28, 2014, 06:43:27 am by PDX_Rover »
JR was not even in charge of the club when the Dover match took place. He took over in December of that season.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 28, 2014, 07:14:46 am by Lifelong supporter »

Dickov was appointed following a rigorous selection process insisted on by Bramall who, along with Baldwin, was present at the final interviews.
If JR made a mistake then so did they.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 28, 2014, 07:35:35 am by wilts rover »
Come on Lifelong, tell us the full story, the whole truth. Not the little snippets that suit your agenda. Its like the past two summers over again.

JR offered Dckov the job whilst Flynn was still in charge. Bramall blocked this and wanted a 'rigourous selection process'. Bramall liked Michael Appleton. We ended up with who JR wanted.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 28, 2014, 08:14:31 am by The Red Baron »
I was just going to post something similar Wilts. Dickov was odds-on favourite for the job before Flynn was appointed and JR wanted him then. However, he was still at Oldham and the compensation issues would have made it difficult.

I'm not arguing that Bramall and Baldwin had no input in Dickov's appointment. Also, they've been more loyal to him than a lot of owners and CEOs would have been in similar circumstances. However, Dickov was always the man JR wanted.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 28, 2014, 09:18:38 am by silent majority »
Its amazing how when things go wrong that reflects badly on JR how people manage to spin it to blame someone else, or at the very least make them as culpable. JR always wanted Dickov, that's common knowledge, but as stated above it was TB who insisted on a proper interview process.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 28, 2014, 09:30:00 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
They did all agree to it so I would blame them all.  Equally as Jr didn't get his way and took his ball home it is the other owners who will decide. That decision should be goodbye Dickov and I hope they make it soon.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 28, 2014, 10:19:08 am by Savvy »
Come on Billy, were you there then?

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 28, 2014, 12:36:40 pm by Dare to dream! »
They did all agree to it so I would blame them all.  Equally as Jr didn't get his way and took his ball home it is the other owners who will decide. That decision should be goodbye Dickov and I hope they make it soon.

Do you think that PD would have even got an inteview if he didn't know JR? It's not what you know....

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 28, 2014, 03:44:01 pm by no eyed deer »
It amazes me how when things go wrong some people always try and put a good spin on Bramhall.  My thoughts only

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 28, 2014, 04:20:53 pm by bpoolrover »
I think it was a good interview not always a need for hard questioning

TinyPortal © 2005-2012