Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:24:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sharp, Ryan and Attendances  (Read 16977 times)

RedArmy

• Forum Member
Sharp, Ryan and Attendances
« on September 05, 2013, 05:21:49 pm by RedArmy »
John ryans ruled out a move for sharp but blames it on the attendances.. Fair enough we dont get 15k a game but does he understand unless we get into the prem we will NEVER get decent championship attendances, gone on for far too long now and sick to death and bored of hearing about us and are shocking attendances yes their bad so do something about it other than moan, rant over.

:rtid: #IRWT

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Sharp, Ryan and Attendances
« Reply #1 on September 05, 2013, 05:26:23 pm by RedJ »
What do you expect him to do, magic fans into the ground?

We gave away tickets at the Palace game the other season, few of them came back.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 05, 2013, 05:27:58 pm by RedArmy »
Stop going on about it maybe? been 4 or 5 seasons now every year same old nothings changing its boring, its realistic we will never complete with most championship crowds, end off.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 05, 2013, 05:31:13 pm by drfcsteve »
Anyone got a link to what he says?

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 05, 2013, 05:33:06 pm by Lipsy »
There you go: http://ow.ly/oB3wR

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 05, 2013, 05:33:30 pm by graingrover »
Full cycle !!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 05, 2013, 05:37:36 pm by RedJ »
Stop going on about it maybe? been 4 or 5 seasons now every year same old nothings changing its boring, its realistic we will never complete with most championship crowds, end off.

That would be preferable but that wouldn't be "doing something about it", would it?

What exactly would you propose he "do ... about it"?

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 05, 2013, 05:57:47 pm by RedArmy »

That would be preferable but that wouldn't be "doing something about it", would it?

What exactly would you propose he "do ... about it"?

Something different, something new, something that we havent tried before, i can assure you we wont ever get decent crowds, so scrap what i said, do nothing about it but just shut the f**k up about them!!!!

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 05, 2013, 06:01:18 pm by redbrez »
Sorry cant resist but
Attendances wil depend on investment :thumbsup:
 :suicide:

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 05, 2013, 06:01:48 pm by RedArmy »
Sorry cant resist but
Attendances wil depend on investment :thumbsup:
 :suicide:

amen.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 05, 2013, 06:02:34 pm by Copps is Magic »
As an exile I make a personal financial decision about which games I attend. I'm more likely to attend games like Weds, Leeds, Forest, Barnsley because I know I will enjoy it more than Yeovil or Bournemouth. Many people think the same way.

It's just too expensive. IRWT seems to have done everything but address the prices at rovers (whose policy now seems to be accept slightly lower attendances while charging those attending slightly more) . The sad fact is, for a team which will be fighting relegation we are paying mid range championship prices. And those prices in a relatively poor town like Doncaster are unacceptable. £20 is plenty? Let's be fair - 20 quid is still over the odds.

I personally find John Ryan's words deeply offensive. Why doesn't he direct his anger to players earning thousands of pounds per week or the advertising and media companies who are also doing handsomely or the unequal distribution of money to premiership clubs?

Berating his own fans for not wanting to attend a boring game against Bournemouth is not the way to go.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 05, 2013, 06:18:04 pm by MrFrost »
As mentiuoned in another thread, get asking the fans who used to come why they aren't any more, maybe offer them an incentive to come back.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 05, 2013, 06:21:32 pm by RedArmy »
As mentiuoned in another thread, get asking the fans who used to come why they aren't any more, maybe offer them an incentive to come back.

When we was divison 3 champions and first season in league 1 there was always 8 of me and my mates who went, now theres me and 2 others who go week in week out, prices and the move to the keepmoat are what put the others of, i often tell them as much as i preffered Belle Vue to the Keepmoat we couldnt move on without moving to the keepmoat but they still dont listen.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 05, 2013, 06:27:24 pm by DonnyOsmond »
There should be more signs around the town like the ones on the roundabout at the Keepmoat. There's Rugby ones round town (Bentley) get Football ones. That might help get some of the other 270,000 people going.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 05, 2013, 06:31:13 pm by MrFrost »
If you believe some on here, we don't need to do any marketing because people know when we are playing already.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 05, 2013, 06:41:23 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
What's the point of advertising something that most of the town can't afford or are not interested in?

You might as well advertise Fabergé eggs.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 05, 2013, 06:43:56 pm by Lipsy »
What visibility does the club have in the town centre? When I was last there (a couple of months back and out of season), you wouldn't have known that the town had a football club - and I did have a decent trek around...

Did I miss something? Is it better during the season?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 05, 2013, 06:45:26 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
What's the point of advertising something that most of the town can't afford or are not interested in?

I'm not interested in many things but you see them advertised....

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 05, 2013, 06:47:43 pm by MrFrost »
What visibility does the club have in the town centre? When I was last there (a couple of months back and out of season), you wouldn't have known that the town had a football club - and I did have a decent trek around...

Did I miss something? Is it better during the season?

No. We have zero Presence in the town centre.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 05, 2013, 06:48:19 pm by Donnybax »
I'm sick to death of hearing about people criticising our attendances! Especially from our own chairman. The people he is criticising dont give a shite so what's the point? Why not try and praise those of us that do attend

giggy24

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 05, 2013, 06:48:38 pm by giggy24 »
Because of finances,this is the first time in about 10 years i haven't bought a season ticket,and before that i was a pay on the door to probably 90% of home games for the past 40 odd years.

I am an agent for the Rovers Lottery and Ken,the lottery manager brought me a pamphlet indicating if i bought a 5 or 10 match package,i would get a free junior ticket for the same amount of matches(pretty good for my nephew i thought)

There were 2 telephone numbers on the pamphlet. One for the ticket office and press option 1 or the ticket office manager.

If i have rung these lines once i have rung 30 times.

All i get with the ticket office is please ring back later,and the ticket office managers line just rings out.

Maybe,im just unlucky,but maybe just maybe this is why the crowds aren't there because no one can be a**ed to answer the phone.

And i can't get down to the ground because of where i work

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 05, 2013, 06:51:38 pm by Sheepskin Stu »

Yeah obviously but it's a waste of money advertising Rovers games in the town. We get the crowds we do because it's too f**king expensive and/or people would rather watch Man U on the telly.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 05, 2013, 06:54:58 pm by RedArmy »

Yeah obviously but it's a waste of money advertising Rovers games in the town. We get the crowds we do because it's too f***ing expensive and/or people would rather watch Man U on the telly.

And lets face it, Our town is infested with leeds and wednesday supporters.

Bring the players and the success the fans will follow, its a risk but its one that going to have to be took sooner rather than later.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 05, 2013, 06:58:37 pm by The Red Baron »
Just as an aside, what sort of average gates would we need to afford Billy Sharp, given that he's on the thick end of £20K a week and Southampton want a loaning club to pay his wages in full?

My guess is that no-one in the Championship, apart from maybe clubs receiving parachute payments, could afford him while that stipulation remains in place.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 05, 2013, 06:59:04 pm by RedJ »

Yeah obviously but it's a waste of money advertising Rovers games in the town. We get the crowds we do because it's too f***ing expensive and/or people would rather watch Man U on the telly.

Bring the players and the success the fans will follow, its a risk but its one that going to have to be took sooner rather than later.

Yes let's spend money we don't currently have on "big name" players in the hope that people want to come. Fantastic plan.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 05, 2013, 07:04:21 pm by newyankee »
 I think we have to accept that these days we are in a different world from 50 odd years ago.

In those days we were in the lower reaches and attracting 10, 15 and 20 thousand to Belle Vue. There were a lot of people whose only entertainment was going to the Rovers first team and second team games.

We did not have all the other things that we have today, TV's were in shorter supply, there was little live coverage of the game and we did not have computers, Shopping Malls and all the other ways to spend money which we have today.

The other big point is that we complain about Doncaster people supporting the local "big three" instead of Doncaster Rovers.  Hands up all those who go to the Rovers because their dads did.

Well, that's what happens to those three, Fathers and Grandfathers were drawn to Leeds and Sheffield by better quality games. They took their sons and grandsons and now they are supporters of teams no better than us, but the damage has been done.

We have to accept that in a depressed area, where paying the rent is a problem to some people, we are always going to be an also ran.

Those teams in the Premiership like Man U,  Liverpool, Aresenal, Chelsea etc are the exception to the rule. They fill their Stadia because they are a world wide commodity unlike Doncaster Rovers. We are a pub team having a laugh. They have differnt people flying in every game.

Look at Norwich, Swansea, West Brom etc in the premiership, they only fill their grounds when the big boys come, they are not shouting to increase capacity to 50 and 60 Thousand. The sooner JR and the owners realise this, the better.

We will NEVER be able to be self sufficient at this level WITHOUT those who own the club and have money, subsidising the team. I am coming home for two games at the end of the month and at my age it will probably be the last two games I do get a chance to go to.

The older supporters who watched through thick and thin are all dead by now and if they didn't bring their sons then we are on a neverending spiral.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 05, 2013, 07:07:46 pm by Rios »
We've already been down this road before.  Billy was brought in for too much money and with wage-structure busting wages which caused issues with other first teamers then getting rises and a lack of quality in the rest of the squad (Souza for example!).  His signing didn't pull in thousands of extra punters and it wouldn't again.

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 05, 2013, 07:08:50 pm by RedArmy »

Yes let's spend money we don't currently have on "big name" players in the hope that people want to come. Fantastic plan.

You got something against me? ha..

Was more a hint towards mr bramall accepting the invesmtent so the plan could go through stop picking at straws and looking for arguments.

mattco

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 05, 2013, 07:10:06 pm by mattco »
It would still make sense to advertise the team and its fixtures a bit more.  A few advertisements on hoardings or in Frenchgate Centre can't cost a fortune and might just bring a few more people in.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 05, 2013, 07:12:37 pm by MrFrost »
Didn't we leaflet drop on a large scale which brought positive results?
No advertising is criminal. Those who say it doesn't matter have no clue of business or marketing.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012