Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:29:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sharp, Ryan and Attendances  (Read 16981 times)

RedArmy

• Forum Member
Re: Sharp, Ryan and Attendances
« Reply #30 on September 05, 2013, 07:14:57 pm by RedArmy »
And another point, for us season ticket holders (this isnt a dig at those who arent)

When do we ever get praise for been there week in week out, never, we get 20% in a club shop well thank you very much, thats a great incentive to re-new my season ticket week in week out.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 05, 2013, 07:15:25 pm by newyankee »
 Havn't we just redesignbated the Commercial office to the COMMUNICATIONS office, perhaps this could be cause number One.
Maybe then the club will be going in "ONE DIRECTION".

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 05, 2013, 07:16:55 pm by Lipsy »
What visibility does the club have in the town centre? When I was last there (a couple of months back and out of season), you wouldn't have known that the town had a football club - and I did have a decent trek around...

Did I miss something? Is it better during the season?

No. We have zero Presence in the town centre.

That would seem poor, then. I am almost certainly a random case, but the club would have had my coin if there had been something there when I was in town (admittedly, the club has had money from me since, but I probably would have spent more had I had the opportunity to spend in person. Sadly, I was flying through the town so a trip to the KM wasn't possible).

Advertising the games/selling tickets in town can only help increase crowds, no? I was saddened by the total absence of anything in the town - I even "noseyed" in the sports shops in the half-hope of something.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 05, 2013, 07:28:18 pm by graingrover »
dropping leaflets is Marketing ???? certainly was in the 1950's but things have moved on .Modern research , I hear , indicates that kids choose ther club very early in life. I personally find the massive efforts the club is putting in to attract the youngsters in local community is STRATEGIC marketing at it's best .
 Meanwhile ... Billy Sharp earns more than his value to mostclubs,unfortunately for his PLAYING career

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 05, 2013, 07:34:11 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just put up a poll to help us capture your thoughts. 

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 05, 2013, 07:39:03 pm by FuzzyDuck »
It is tough to get people through the gates.  Here's something's I can think of.

1. Publicize the club.  Here in Switzerland, everywhere you go you see something advertising some Ice Hockey Team somewhere.  Why?  Because the season is about to start.  When every club is at it, it must bring some extras in.  They are looking towards the family market btw.

2.  Reward fans that do go.  Discounts for ticket stubs if a full price ticket is bought for instance.  Say a ticket stub gives 25% off.  That means a fan can bring a mate every other game for the cost of a ticket.  Split it and you've got 25% off each.

3.  Make news.  We've got the Louis Tomlinson thing going on, which I think is great.  But what else are we doing with him?  Would he consider coming along to a home game or too to put in a personal appearance/sign a few autographs?  That'd get a few kids nagging mum and dad to take them.  Then he tells the directionless to support the Rovers and maybe....just maybe.

4.  Leave off moaning about Leeds, Wendies etc.  their Donny-based fans can get to their home games.  Try to attract your Man U, Chelsea etc fans who can't get to home games.  Invite them to make Donny their 2nd team. 

5.  Don't give up - keep plugging away.  Some things will work, others won't.  The more things you try the more you will find that work.

We're always going to struggle with bums on seats due to history.  You just have keep trying.....and stop moaning about it.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 05, 2013, 07:40:13 pm by MrFrost »
It is tough to get people through the gates.  Here's something's I can think of.

1. Publicize the club.  Here in Switzerland, everywhere you go you see something advertising some Ice Hockey Team somewhere.  Why?  Because the season is about to start.  When every club is at it, it must bring some extras in.  They are looking towards the family market btw.

2.  Reward fans that do go.  Discounts for ticket stubs if a full price ticket is bought for instance.  Say a ticket stub gives 25% off.  That means a fan can bring a mate every other game for the cost of a ticket.  Split it and you've got 25% off each.

3.  Make news.  We've got the Louis Tomlinson thing going on, which I think is great.  But what else are we doing with him?  Would he consider coming along to a home game or too to put in a personal appearance/sign a few autographs?  That'd get a few kids nagging mum and dad to take them.  Then he tells the directionless to support the Rovers and maybe....just maybe.

4.  Leave off moaning about Leeds, Wendies etc.  their Donny-based fans can get to their home games.  Try to attract your Man U, Chelsea etc fans who can't get to home games.  Invite them to make Donny their 2nd team. 

5.  Don't give up - keep plugging away.  Some things will work, others won't.  The more things you try the more you will find that work.

We're always going to struggle with bums on seats due to history.  You just have keep trying.....and stop moaning about it.

Some good ideas.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on September 05, 2013, 07:43:57 pm by jonnydog »
What do you expect him to do, magic fans into the ground?

We gave away tickets at the Palace game the other season, few of them came back.

In fairness, can you blame them. T'were a shocking performance so it was ma hearty!

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 05, 2013, 07:51:30 pm by Nudga »
What's the point of advertising something that most of the town can't afford or are not interested in?

You might as well advertise Fabergé eggs.

My missus loves walking around with those shoved up her.........................................

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 05, 2013, 07:57:58 pm by newyankee »
 I have to say that the Commercial Dept has reacted well to suggestions. I sent them something which the Milwaukee Brewers do, which led to the list of FREE prizes to season ticket holders, press days, stadium trips etc. It's called fan appreciation. However, it was done to repay STH's at little cost when they were complaining about offers for single games which worked out cheaper than the ST.

The problem is this tries to keep those who are already converted, what we need to do is attract the unconverted, try to get deals with other things, theatres, cinemas etc where for one price you can get into both. For example, the Breweres do this with Harley Davidson Museum, The Zoo, State Fair and Summerfest.

The rovers could approach the Racecourse, The Dons,  the Bowling Alley, the new theatre, the "Zoo" in Branton. If worked properly this helps BOTH places to increase attendance.

The caterers could come in with 50p hot dogs for a game or buy a pie, hot dog etc and get a soft drink FREE.

Again possible ideas that may work.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 05, 2013, 07:58:23 pm by RedJ »
What's the point of advertising something that most of the town can't afford or are not interested in?

You might as well advertise Fabergé eggs.

I'm not interested in many things but you see them advertised....

Yeah obviously but it's a waste of money advertising Rovers games in the town. We get the crowds we do because it's too f***ing expensive and/or people would rather watch Man U on the telly.

And lets face it, Our town is infested with leeds and wednesday supporters.

Bring the players and the success the fans will follow, its a risk but its one that going to have to be took sooner rather than later.

Yes let's spend money we don't currently have on "big name" players in the hope that people want to come. Fantastic plan.

You got something against me? ha..

Was more a hint towards mr bramall accepting the invesmtent so the plan could go through stop picking at straws and looking for arguments.
No. I just don't see the logic in spending money we don't CURRENTLY HAVE. I fully agree if investment came off we should do that as we'd be able to afford them, but as it stands that's a suicidal idea.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on September 05, 2013, 08:01:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

:thumbsup:

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 05, 2013, 08:02:08 pm by steve@dcfd »
The sad thing is JR chose to use this game in the article, when saying we could not afford Billy Sharp. The point was wrong, under our normal budget we were never going to get Billy, we could only get him with investment. He alienates some supporters by having ago at them. When really he is frustrated about the crowd but his major frustration is the investment not happening. Now he is sending out mixed messages.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 05, 2013, 08:14:21 pm by newyankee »
 What is wrong with the Commercial Dept doing a deal with some of the sponsors like  Stoneaacre the car dealer. They could put up billboards and as part of them advertise the Rovers games.

Even better if you have the computer generated billboards, we have them over here. They are like large TV screens and have four or five companies advertising after each other. You would only have to change the computer graphic, not produce a full billboard each time.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 05, 2013, 08:17:19 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
What is wrong with the Commercial Dept doing a deal with some of the sponsors like  Stoneaacre the car dealer. They could put up billboards and as part of them advertise the Rovers games.

Even better if you have the computer generated billboards, we have them over here. They are like large TV screens and have four or five companies advertising after each other. You would only have to change the computer graphic, not produce a full billboard each time.

Those kind of things are heavily regulated here these days and not allowed.  I know someone wanted to advertise on their prominent location and were refused. It's no issue in the states I remember from when I lived there but here it's not allowed.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on September 05, 2013, 08:23:17 pm by roversdude »
Couple of points
First anybody any idea how many Bradford fans renewed season ticket having had bogof last season
Second with the amount of people visiting Yorkshire Wildlife we may pick up a few bums on seats
Has the Polish initiative moved on by the way
Sorry that's three

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 05, 2013, 08:24:43 pm by newyankee »
Another one sinks in the mud BFYP.  I'll see if I can think of something else.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on September 05, 2013, 08:45:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think there could be more done on matchdays as said before. If we're thinking about the Pied Piper Effect those One Call girls can pull !!

Get them going round the Frenchgate centre from about 1pm and before you know it there's a bus full ready to depart for the Keepmoat!!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 05, 2013, 08:58:10 pm by hoolahoop »
What visibility does the club have in the town centre? When I was last there (a couple of months back and out of season), you wouldn't have known that the town had a football club - and I did have a decent trek around...

You have put your finger right on the problem........our marketing is appalling.
We are doing nothing absolutely nothing to forge relationships with all the local businesses in town, we do nothing about hoardings etc etc . These aren't 'big' investment costs but unlike the the Dons and the Knights we simply refuse to put any money into this.
It is poor business sense and shameful that a business thinks that new customers will already know about the product. The same businessmen would NEVER run their own businesses in such a way ; quite frankly it's shambolic  and needs addressing.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 05, 2013, 09:51:24 pm by Sprotyrover »
As mentiuoned in another thread, get asking the fans who used to come why they aren't any more, maybe offer them an incentive to come back.

When we was divison 3 champions and first season in league 1 there was always 8 of me and my mates who went, now theres me and 2 others who go week in week out, prices and the move to the keepmoat are what put the others of, i often tell them as much as i preffered Belle Vue to the Keepmoat we couldnt move on without moving to the keepmoat but they still dont listen.

Are they care in the community Wallahs

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 05, 2013, 10:02:31 pm by MrFrost »

You have put your finger right on the problem........our marketing is appalling.
We are doing nothing absolutely nothing to forge relationships with all the local businesses in town, we do nothing about hoardings etc etc . These aren't 'big' investment costs but unlike the the Dons and the Knights we simply refuse to put any money into this.
It is poor business sense and shameful that a business thinks that new customers will already know about the product. The same businessmen would NEVER run their own businesses in such a way ; quite frankly it's shambolic  and needs addressing.

Too right Hoola. But too many people believe that the people who only attend now and then know when we are playing at home so we shouldn't need to advertise. Absolute b*llocks. You've got to shove whatever product you're selling down the throat of would be buyers at every opportunity.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on September 05, 2013, 10:05:06 pm by Copps is Magic »
You've got to shove whatever product you're selling down the throat of would be buyers at every opportunity.

What if you're a dildo seller?

Malc Morling

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 05, 2013, 10:28:57 pm by Malc Morling »
 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup:
I think we have to accept that these days we are in a different world from 50 odd years ago.

In those days we were in the lower reaches and attracting 10, 15 and 20 thousand to Belle Vue. There were a lot of people whose only entertainment was going to the Rovers first team and second team games.

We did not have all the other things that we have today, TV's were in shorter supply, there was little live coverage of the game and we did not have computers, Shopping Malls and all the other ways to spend money which we have today.

The other big point is that we complain about Doncaster people supporting the local "big three" instead of Doncaster Rovers.  Hands up all those who go to the Rovers because their dads did. Hell of a lot of truth in this post but i'm fed up of the  negtivity on this site .the only way 2 turn this club round in my life time(60yr old) is 2 bing a body 2 the next game hope we play well & get them bk to other games keep on pushing friends & family Fact if 5,000 of us get one body 2 the same game we have a gate of 10,000 plus i'm working on my next victums Blackburn 1adult come bk 2 leeds &bournmouth Leeds one adult come bk 2 Bournmouth & brought his grandson i failed at bournmouth only bringing one of my grandsons his dads a sheff wed fan my grand son is a rovers fan loved his afternoon out only 5yrs old So come get them Ex fans there grand or kids bk down the team deserve better lets work together & deliver :rtid:
   Well, that's what happens to those three, Fathers and Grandfathers were drawn to Leeds and Sheffield by better quality games. They took their sons and grandsons and now they are supporters of teams no better than us, but the damage has been done.

We have to accept that in a depressed area, where paying the rent is a problem to some people, we are always going to be an also ran.

Those teams in the Premiership like Man U,  Liverpool, Aresenal, Chelsea etc are the exception to the rule. They fill their Stadia because they are a world wide commodity unlike Doncaster Rovers. We are a pub team having a laugh. They have differnt people flying in every game.

Look at Norwich, Swansea, West Brom etc in the premiership, they only fill their grounds when the big boys come, they are not shouting to increase capacity to 50 and 60 Thousand. The sooner JR and the owners realise this, the better.

We will NEVER be able to be self sufficient at this level WITHOUT those who own the club and have money, subsidising the team. I am coming home for two games at the end of the month and at my age it will probably be the last two games I do get a chance to go to.

The older supporters who watched through thick and thin are all dead by now and if they didn't bring their sons then we are on a neverending spiral.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on September 05, 2013, 11:22:42 pm by RobTheRover »

Stoneacre have one of those electronic boards at their York Road site.  I sat at the traffic lights on Cusworth Lane the other day and watched the ads change on the board for a couple of minutes.  Not once did it say "Stoneacre - proud sponsor of Doncaster Rovers". 

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on September 06, 2013, 05:02:09 am by Rios »

Stoneacre have one of those electronic boards at their York Road site.  I sat at the traffic lights on Cusworth Lane the other day and watched the ads change on the board for a couple of minutes.  Not once did it say "Stoneacre - proud sponsor of Doncaster Rovers". 

As an employee of Stoneacre, I've emailed my line manager to ask that question.  It has been pointed out above though that there are strict regulations as to what you can do on billboards.

It should also be said that this is something between two private companies.  By that I mean that whilst Stoneacre (or any of the other advertisers) pay for their level of sponsorship, get a sponsors package (box, free tickets, etc) and that's that.  If the DRFC marketing team don't make it worthwhile for the advertisers to do more then why would should these private companies treat DRFC like a charity?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on September 06, 2013, 08:32:30 am by IDM »

Too right Hoola. But too many people believe that the people who only attend now and then know when we are playing at home so we shouldn't need to advertise. Absolute b*llocks. You've got to shove whatever product you're selling down the throat of would be buyers at every opportunity.

How much advertising did we do for the Notts Co game last season?  Attendances IMHO are most affected by performances and results on the pitch, as well as individual finances.  A team performing well, getting results, will attract the dormant supporters regardless of the billboards etc.

Also, if you stuff too much down folks' throats, so to speak, they'll get fed up and ignore it..

I agree we should market the club in general, and even more so where there is a special offer such as quid a kid etc.  Problem is, football fans won't change their allegiences however much we advertise - we need to get the next generation, not those we've lost to Leeds, Sheff clubs etc.  Difficult task if their parents go elsewhere for their football.  Apart from - well publicised - cheap tickets for kids, how do we achieve that?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on September 06, 2013, 09:37:26 am by steve@dcfd »
A lot of young lads went to the Wigan game and come to rovers. But I agree with you IDM it's performance and results related that will keep them coming and continuing to support the rovers. Now schools are open again that may effect those lads, students attendance especially at night matches. If we consistently get the performances and results right supporters will come. It will be a gradule effect  but we have keep them coming.
The adverse effect will be poor performances and results may turn them off. They will spend their money elsewhere and not o football matches.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on September 06, 2013, 10:04:03 am by The Red Baron »
Of course you've hit on another problem that no marketing campaign can do anything about- our tendency to play poorly when we do pull in a decent crowd. Perhaps we should be grateful that the crowd at the Bournemouth game was below par, because I can't see that game/ performance encouraging many "floating voters" to come back for more!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on September 06, 2013, 10:13:14 am by River Don »

One Call have an enormous Rovers shirt hung off the side of their building. Its quite prominently placed on the way into town from the M18.

donnygeoff

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on September 06, 2013, 10:16:40 am by donnygeoff »
As previously mentioned it all boils down to performances.  Fans will not pay to watch boring games like Bournemouth. We will now struggle to get some of the fans back who went to that game. So don't only blame the fans John.  The blame for poor performances also lies elsewhere. Catch 22.  You perform and get to top 6 and the crowds will increase. People cannot afford to through money away as happended last week.  And don't go down the line of ' they are not real fans'.  They would be eventually!!!!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012