Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:12:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: TO TAKE THE KNEE OR NOT TO TAKE THE KNEE  (Read 6645 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Re: TO TAKE THE KNEE OR NOT TO TAKE THE KNEE
« Reply #30 on August 04, 2021, 07:32:07 pm by sha66y »
It is in its wording BLACK LIVES MATTER

Do you genuinely believe hundreds of footballers, black, white, Asian, etc are taking the knee because they support a world where only black lives are important? They want a black master race or something? :laugh:

Like Janso says, there's a silent "too" in there. Of course ALL lives matter, but the movement was born out of the discrimination and murders of black people, where they felt they needed to shout up that their lives matter, and now we have footballers from all races taking knees in support that everyone's lives matter, no matter what colour.

BOOOORRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG …ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 04, 2021, 07:33:30 pm by the vicar »
Yes you are right the whole thing is bbboooorrrriiiinnnngggg the whole thing is getting boaring
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:36:36 pm by the vicar »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 04, 2021, 07:36:49 pm by sha66y »
I see people still willfully missing the point of what black lives matter means. The way you should read it is as if there's a "too" in brackets.

Of course, the venn diagram of people who say all lives matter and people who believe channel crossing boats should be shot at by the Royal Navy is probably almost a circle.

I wouldn’t say “ wilfully missing the point”  id say more like sick of gagging on it …..

How many fans do you think will BOO if the team DONT take the knee?

Probably zero. More knuckle draggers boo when they do take the knee.

“ knuckle draggers” …….why even say that?

So one action solicits disapproval and the other action a wild cheer as the ref blows the whistle………
No brainier really……

Because they're booing an anti-racism statement? They're hardly Einstein's, are they?

That’s your opinion what they are booing…..maybe some people are just sick and tired of actually hearing this shit and would rather just BE NICE to their fellow man….
No bells, no whistles and no BS….

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 04, 2021, 07:40:23 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Do you genuinely believe hundreds of footballers, black, white, Asian, etc are taking the knee because they support a world where only black lives are important? They want a black master race or something? :laugh:

Like Janso says, there's a silent "too" in there. Of course ALL lives matter, but the movement was born out of the discrimination and murders of black people, where they felt they needed to shout up that their lives matter, and now we have footballers from all races taking knees in support that everyone's lives matter, no matter what colour.
ok then answer this with your question.

What does it mean when they hold one arm and fist in the air

The one that mimics the 1968 Olympics salute?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 04, 2021, 07:42:18 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Yes you are right the whole thing is bbboooorrrriiiinnnngggg the whole thing is getting boaring

Ahh. Black people please stop talking about when you're discriminated against, in order to hopefully change the world because the white men are bored of it and want you to be quiet.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 04, 2021, 07:51:33 pm by the vicar »

that’s the one and it actually means black supremacy so no I can’t support any of it

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 04, 2021, 07:53:09 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

that’s the one and it actually means black supremacy so no I can’t support any of it

Have any Rovers players made that salute?

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 04, 2021, 07:58:54 pm by colincramb »

Oh dear. If this really needs explaining to you then the world really is in a bigger mess than even I thought.

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 04, 2021, 07:59:51 pm by mjg »
Not

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 04, 2021, 08:00:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »

No, It's a symbol against oppression and for unity.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 04, 2021, 08:03:48 pm by Jonathan »
Wow. Some of the replies on here. I don’t know why I’m surprised. But wow.

It’s literally a few weeks since the three players that missed penalties for England were publicly abused (in some quarters) for the colour of their skin. Barely three weeks ago.

Now I get that the people on here that are too stubborn or thick to get it are unlikely to partake in that abuse. They probably condemn it. I’d like to think nobody on this thread is a racist and there’s no reason to think anyone is. But just because you don’t partake in racist acts, do not recognise them elsewhere in your circle, do not look for them outside it, or indeed prefer to block them out when they do happen, doesn’t mean they’re not happening. There was such a high profile example in our sport just three weeks ago. Nobody was making it up!

There’s still a problem. It may be a smaller problem than it once was. But there’s still an evident problem. And there’s still a need for awareness and education. I’ve needed it myself.

So how on earth can anyone deplore footballers, or anyone, for choosing to make a gesture against racist and discriminatory behaviour? They’re not doing it to offend YOU, after all you’re not the racist are you? They’re doing it to make a simple gesture that they won’t stand for it any more.

Is there a better way? Probably. Wilf Zaha clearly thinks so and he’s entitled to that view. But he’s not saying there isn’t a problem, moreover that MORE needs to be done. In the meantime if this gesture makes just a small number of people reflect on their behaviour before they abuse or discriminate against someone, then it’s served its purpose. Who on earth are we to oppose that? 

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on August 04, 2021, 08:12:40 pm by the vicar »
You call it what you want but it was meant for black supremacy

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 04, 2021, 08:15:21 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Only if whilst wearing a black glove on the raised hand.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 04, 2021, 08:16:20 pm by RoversAlias »
Wow. Some of the replies on here. I don’t know why I’m surprised. But wow.

It’s literally a few weeks since the three players that missed penalties for England were publicly abused (in some quarters) for the colour of their skin. Barely three weeks ago.

Now I get that the people on here that are too stubborn or thick to get it are unlikely to partake in that abuse. They probably condemn it. I’d like to think nobody on this thread is a racist and there’s no reason to think anyone is. But just because you don’t partake in racist acts, do not recognise them elsewhere in your circle, do not look for them outside it, or indeed prefer to block them out when they do happen, doesn’t mean they’re not happening. There was such a high profile example in our sport just three weeks ago. Nobody was making it up!

There’s still a problem. It may be a smaller problem than it once was. But there’s still an evident problem. And there’s still a need for awareness and education. I’ve needed it myself.

So how on earth can anyone deplore footballers, or anyone, for choosing to make a gesture against racist and discriminatory behaviour? They’re not doing it to offend YOU, after all you’re not the racist are you? They’re doing it to make a simple gesture that they won’t stand for it any more.

Is there a better way? Probably. Wilf Zaha clearly thinks so and he’s entitled to that view. But he’s not saying there isn’t a problem, moreover that MORE needs to be done. In the meantime if this gesture makes just a small number of people reflect on their behaviour before they abuse or discriminate against someone, then it’s served its purpose. Who on earth are we to oppose that? 

Very well put, Jonathan. Sadly we (as a society) have a long way to go before discrimination and ignorance are no longer dominating factors for many people.

Some of the comments on this thread are a disgrace.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 04, 2021, 08:17:21 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

So Northern Soul was actually a black supremacy movement. You learn something every day.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 04, 2021, 08:18:17 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Who came up with that it was a black supremacy statement? The people doing it or people who didn't like it?

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 04, 2021, 08:19:11 pm by Padge_DRFC »
One of our players will probably pick up a knee injury with how our injuries have started.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on August 04, 2021, 08:21:11 pm by Scooter »
Great post Jonathan. I complete agree. Clearly society and football still has a problem with racism. If players taking the knee keeps this issue in the public consciousness I am all for it.
The players can choose to use their position to raise awareness. I noticed that Omar Bogle was racially abused on Instagram recently so it does affect our players. None of us know the diversity of forum members on here but I would imagine if we have any black posters they would have (and probably continue to experience racism)

It’s not to do with the BLM group. For example Colin Kaepernick took the knee way before the death of George Floyd. And way before that Martin Luther King took a knee.
I recently read an article about kneeling. We kneel before God, we would kneel if we were knighted by the Queen, we kneel we we propose to our loved ones. Taking a knee is respectful.

And football has always been about politics. Whether that’s the corrupt distribution of power  with UEFA and FIFA, nelson Mandela supporting the springboks, or how the British have exported football around the world. Many countries put extra effort into sporting activities into their election campaigns and educational curriculum. South American teams used to your Europe to raise money and strengthen political relationships. I’m sure many posters on here are more au fait than me about sport and politics but they absolutely crossover

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 04, 2021, 08:35:14 pm by the vicar »

Have any Rovers players made that salute?
no but I’m talking about in general not our club so please don’t try and turn it around

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 04, 2021, 08:36:38 pm by the vicar »

black glove or no black glove it’s the same thing

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 04, 2021, 08:39:32 pm by Copps is Magic »
what about Indian Chinese Mongolian people

Famously make up a large proportion of footballers in the FL.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on August 04, 2021, 08:40:28 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

So you DO think Northern Soul was a black supremacy movement! Their black raised fist symbol wasn't wearing a black glove so they must have been.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 04, 2021, 08:40:57 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Yeah against oppression.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 04, 2021, 08:41:29 pm by MachoMadness »
This thread again. A bunch of middle aged white men who've never experienced racism whining about what black people are allowed to talk about. Just what the forum/country/world needs more of!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 04, 2021, 08:41:54 pm by Copps is Magic »
I preferred kick-off when it was based on good old white, puritan values - like the vikettes shaking their pompoms in hotpants.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on August 04, 2021, 08:43:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
This thread again. A bunch of middle aged white men who've never experienced racism whining about what black people are allowed to talk about. Just what the forum/country/world needs more of!

And ironically they don't realise that this is exactly why taking the knee is still relevant.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 04, 2021, 09:00:08 pm by wilts rover »
What is going to happen at the start of the new season when the referee blows the whistle??????

Last posted in 2013 - I can't help but wonder why an anti-racist gesture might cause someone to comment after 8 years, when promotion, relagation, changing managers and signings - amongst other topics, doesn't?

drfcdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 04, 2021, 09:20:27 pm by drfcdrfc »

Your beyond stupid.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 04, 2021, 09:49:51 pm by GazLaz »
Not take the knee it’s racist and why bring politics in to sport

You don’t respect the minutes silence on remembrance weekend then? 

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 04, 2021, 10:01:54 pm by the vicar »

I don’t need to show you anything

TinyPortal © 2005-2012