Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:11:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New ownership!?  (Read 9898 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: New ownership!?
« Reply #120 on December 28, 2021, 11:22:33 am by silent majority »
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't we attract a higher average home attendance than Rotherham when we were in the Championship?

Which means what exactly?

Look, football clubs are not profit generators, nor are they investment vehicles. The whole of football loses money, end of.

It’s the reason we campaigned for the fan led review, the whole of football needs a financial reset.
SM, I was answering a question from the previous poster who suggested it was our inability to compete with the attendances of Rotherham that meant we were unable to compete in the Championship.

Regarding your second paragraph, it seems to me that we are failing to compete because we have led the 'necessary financial reset' ahead of our competitors and as a result, we are getting destroyed on the pitch nearly every game.

No that's not right BB, just because we're at or near the bottom of LG1 doesn't imply that we had a financial reset before anybody else did. We still have a bigger budget than quite a number of clubs in our league, and we had to hold back on some of the financing this season because of the debts we accrued during the pandemic season. But as GB pointed out at the MTO those debts will be cleared in the next few weeks meaning we're good to go again.

The financial reset I was referring to is the proposals that we put in the Fan Led Review that asks for a complete overhaul of the financing of football and the paltry trickle down payments from the EPL.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on December 28, 2021, 12:14:18 pm by normal rules »
Financial resets means nothing unless every club falls in line.
Every single one.
Won’t happen.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on December 28, 2021, 12:20:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
OK SM, cheers for the info.

Is it not true though that we have slipped from a top-six highest budget to 14th highest, meaning several clubs have now got a higher budget than us, after having a lower one previously?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on December 28, 2021, 05:55:24 pm by drfchound »
When Rovers are relegated I presume under the "keeping the books straight" we will be off loading folks like Tommy Rowe who must be one of the bigger earners and replacing them with players on half that wage, or recruiting even more youngsters into the side, and the management will need wages shaving off too so we need to sack whoever is appointed and find a cheaper manager in the summer. So many cuts could be made, until you become Scunthorpe, or Oldham.

That's a very big presumption. Especially as it didn't happen the last time we were relegated to L2.

Glyn, that is probably because we had a much better team the last time we were relegated to L2.
If we do go down this season I wouldn’t be too confident that we wouldn’t suffer a double relegation.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on December 28, 2021, 06:11:55 pm by Campsall rover »
OK SM, cheers for the info.

Is it not true though that we have slipped from a top-six highest budget to 14th highest, meaning several clubs have now got a higher budget than us, after having a lower one previously?
BB to be fair though we now have Wednesday, Ipswich, Wigan and Bolton in our league.
So our status was bound to fall. Yes 10th or 11th would be about par.

Of course Sunderland, Portsmouth and Charlton have been in league 1 a while will have vastly bigger budgets.
Rotherham, Oxford, MK Dons, Plymouth will have larger ones i suspect.

So another 2 above us take your pick. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 06:15:37 pm by Campsall rover »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on December 28, 2021, 06:12:11 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
When Rovers are relegated I presume under the "keeping the books straight" we will be off loading folks like Tommy Rowe who must be one of the bigger earners and replacing them with players on half that wage, or recruiting even more youngsters into the side, and the management will need wages shaving off too so we need to sack whoever is appointed and find a cheaper manager in the summer. So many cuts could be made, until you become Scunthorpe, or Oldham.

That's a very big presumption. Especially as it didn't happen the last time we were relegated to L2.

Glyn, that is probably because we had a much better team the last time we were relegated to L2.
If we do go down this season I wouldn’t be too confident that we wouldn’t suffer a double relegation.

Did we get rid of our players and replace them with worse/cheaper ones last time as Barmby says we will this time, or not?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on December 28, 2021, 07:16:57 pm by EasyforDennis »

Did we get rid of our players and replace them with worse/cheaper ones last time as Barmby says we will this time, or not?

If we do get relegated it will be difficult to replace players with worse ones

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on December 28, 2021, 07:17:52 pm by RoversAlias »

We did sign almost an entirely new team in the summer following relegation, Hound. And the board backed Ferguson to bring in top players for the level. Marquis, Blair, Wright, Baudry, Rowe and McSheffrey on permanent deals, plus the likes of Houghton and Mason on loan. Then Lawlor and Alfie May in January as well. It would have to be the same sort of summer again if we go down this year.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on December 29, 2021, 06:37:16 am by Padge_DRFC »
The owners at the time starting with John Ryan gave us a new a new ground, got us to the championship, we played good football, invested in a good team signed players for fees we could never have imagined ten years previously and we couldn't keep the people coming in regularly.

As an owner or investor you would hope that getting to that level the support would stay.

Rotherham have had fairly consistent support since they moved to their new ground.

We had a level of success and people didn't stay to appreciate it.

We can still get good crowds for important games but we struggle to keep them even when successful.

Rovers' average home attendance was higher than Rotherham's over the five seasons both clubs have spent in the Championship.
I was going to post the same BB  :thumbsup:

Rotherham are not a better supported club than DRFC end of.
Yes they are just at the moment because they are fighting for promotion and imo will win the league.
But history does not support they are either a bigger club than Rovers or a better supported one.

You're deluded if you think that. The only reason our average attendances were higher than there's was because our away end holds 4000, there's 2500.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on December 29, 2021, 09:28:14 am by Campsall rover »
The owners at the time starting with John Ryan gave us a new a new ground, got us to the championship, we played good football, invested in a good team signed players for fees we could never have imagined ten years previously and we couldn't keep the people coming in regularly.

As an owner or investor you would hope that getting to that level the support would stay.

Rotherham have had fairly consistent support since they moved to their new ground.

We had a level of success and people didn't stay to appreciate it.

We can still get good crowds for important games but we struggle to keep them even when successful.

Rovers' average home attendance was higher than Rotherham's over the five seasons both clubs have spent in the Championship.
I was going to post the same BB  :thumbsup:

Rotherham are not a better supported club than DRFC end of.
Yes they are just at the moment because they are fighting for promotion and imo will win the league.
But history does not support they are either a bigger club than Rovers or a better supported one.

You're deluded if you think that. The only reason our average attendances were higher than there's was because our away end holds 4000, there's 2500.
Padge how many times have we had 4,000 away fans at the EP Stadium yes the EP ( starting to get used to it now )
Leeds x 3 Sunderland x2  Middlesbrough x1 Sheff Wed x2 
Sheff Utd, Barnsley, Derby, Forest etc only brought a max of 3.300  Rotherham less than 3000 

Plus we have only been in this stadium for 15 years.  What about the previous 80 odd years at Belle Vue.
Rotherham have only been 8/9 years is it at the New York stadium. What about the previous 70/80/90/100 or however many years they played at Millmoor.

Think a bit more homework needed on this one Padge.  There will not be much in it that I would agree on.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012