Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:42:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Josh Martin  (Read 12754 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Josh Martin
« Reply #30 on June 30, 2022, 10:33:22 am by steve@dcfd »
We need 3 players minimum, a left back, creative midfielder and someone with pace on the left wing as permanent signings with a couple of loans maximum
But like last season we extended players contract we signed players who wanted to come quick. Although two players left because they didn’t want to be here the well is drying up again. It appears to be Trialists and loans again.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on June 30, 2022, 11:20:17 am by graingrover »
Players zee still paid by their clubs until 30 June so logically I would I expect more movement from today .

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 30, 2022, 12:23:02 pm by GazLaz »
He promised a lot but delivered very little. He was in a team that was devoid of confidence, that didn’t help him.

He was great for us in a very poor team.

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 30, 2022, 12:41:46 pm by redbrez »
He has got to be worth a cheeky bid , would be a good investment , still only 20.
Come on board spend some of that whiteman/marquis money , I think him and molineux and a striker would fire us to promotion. And hopefully all be good enough for league one.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 30, 2022, 02:57:10 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
How are people saying he wasn't that good! If GM picked him every week to start we'd probably have scored a few more goals and stayed up

He managed to be creative and dangerous in a team where there was no one to pass him the ball and no one for him to pass it to.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 30, 2022, 03:29:40 pm by jmt23 »
 :facepalm:i'm puzzled to what people saw last year too - he was the one shining light when he came. When he played we had a much better chance of not just creating something, but actually scoring - not one other player in the team last year gave me that hope. At 20 years old, you can tell he will be a very good player and eventually play to a very high league standar.

Try and get him either on loan or buy? (if that is even possible)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 30, 2022, 03:33:20 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Would love him back especially if we get a decent left back behind him

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 30, 2022, 08:25:56 pm by Rovers91 »
He would tear league 2 a new arse hole, would be a statement signing like Tommy Rowe was the year we dropped down to league 2.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 01, 2022, 07:41:37 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It’s not unrealistic to be attempting to sign him, but defeatist if the manager said that. Nobody produced many goals or assists last season. He was one of the best players, but he didn’t produce many goals, it’s there in black and white.

He has potential to be really good this season. If he was with us hopefully he would be in a better side with us going for promotion rather than fighting to stay up.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on July 01, 2022, 10:34:26 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I would imagine Norwich will have the biggest say on his immediate future.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on July 01, 2022, 11:00:59 am by roversdude »
Would definitely be worth asking the question, I think he has a year left on his contract. As DBR says it’s down to Norwich and if they see him as part of their plans. If they do they will look at continuing his development, which I would imagine is above our league.

Ronnie Dovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 01, 2022, 09:58:17 pm by Ronnie Dovers »
I would imagine Norwich will have the biggest say on his immediate future.

Ultimately this is the stone cold truth. It's completely out of our hands.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 05, 2022, 07:23:46 am by steve@dcfd »
Would definitely be worth asking the question, I think he has a year left on his contract. As DBR says it’s down to Norwich and if they see him as part of their plans. If they do they will look at continuing his development, which I would imagine is above our league.
So at the moment Norwich want a fee for him so according to GMC if he’s not sold we may look at a Loan again. Otherwise it’s not feasible

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 05, 2022, 07:35:12 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well, that's the strongest statement yet from Norwich.

Sounds like GM is aware of higher level clubs that are interested and perhaps in a position to pay a fee.

Wouldn't surprise me if Rotherham and/or Wednesday are considering moves. I would be surprised if Martin would take a drop to League Two, even if we could muster the fee.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 05, 2022, 07:35:28 am by GazLaz »
Unless the fee they are looking for is extortionate, he should end up with a good L1 club. £100-200k would be a very fair price in my opinion.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 05, 2022, 07:48:54 am by steve@dcfd »
Well, that's the strongest statement yet from Norwich.

Sounds like GM is aware of higher level clubs that are interested and perhaps in a position to pay a fee.

Wouldn't surprise me if Rotherham and/or Wednesday are considering moves. I would be surprised if Martin would take a drop to League Two, even if we could muster the fee.
I agree dropping to league 2 with no guarantee of instant success he’ll not want that. Also us paying a fee for a player I don’t think we will see that again but we might get a surprise.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 07:52:04 am by steve@dcfd »

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 05, 2022, 08:04:18 am by DonnyOsmond »
It's daft if we're not willing to spend a fee when we're likely to see a return on investment.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on July 05, 2022, 08:15:39 am by GazLaz »
It's daft if we're not willing to spend a fee when we're likely to see a return on investment.

People are petrified of the business of football. TB and DB grew a business to be worth £700+ million but can’t formulate a structure to find a return on investment within football when competing for players against clubs, that in the main, are largely useless when it comes to recruitment. It really isnt that hard to identify a player that’s undervalued, structure a development plan for him, identify a sale value and then market the player.

Obviously every player won’t command a profit (not that you have to pay a fee for everyone either) but there are some absolute titters out there waiting to be cherry picked.

I’d like to know what our overall profit is on only players we paid a fee for over the last 20 years… I think they would be well into the green.

I was hoping recruit//develop//resale would be the way the new regime would look to go. With the three signings we’ve made so far, it appears not to be. If it is, there has been a sub optimal approach.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 05, 2022, 08:16:50 am by Sammy Chung was King »
We don’t take risks any more, we need to at times.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on July 05, 2022, 08:21:35 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Do we know how much the fee is?  50k is a no brainer, 500k is a different matter.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on July 05, 2022, 08:26:58 am by steve@dcfd »
Question if we are self sustainable and money we have comes from Club Doncaster then does TB put any money in now especially when it comes to transfers. Also does DB know really what it needs to bounce back decisively or is he just expecting it. Over the next weeks and months we will see how the clubs strategies work.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 08:34:08 am by steve@dcfd »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 05, 2022, 08:40:39 am by Jonathan »
I despair at the fact we rule this kind of thing out because he’d cost a fee. This is a player we could make money on. Any risk is minimised by the fact we already know him and know what he can do, because he played here on loan.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 09:31:43 am by Jonathan »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 05, 2022, 09:02:32 am by ncRover »
I think our league 2 status is the main stumbling block here if he’s had interest from clubs higher up

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on July 05, 2022, 09:04:32 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I despair at the fact we rule this kind of thing out because he’d cost a fee. This is a player we could make money on. Any risk is minimised by the fa t we already know him and know what he can do, because he played here on loan.

It's the easiest thing to say when you're not holding the pursestrings and you're not aware of the bigger picture.

We may already have signed a player or two with more attacking and goalscoring potential than Martin, in Miller and Molyneux, for free.

Who knows who else may be on the radar.

We have no clue what the fee is or what his wage demands would be, or whether he'd be prepared to consider dropping to League Two. We already know there are other clubs paying an interest.

Would you really want to make a spacial case for Martin? Don't we all agree we have other priorities first?

How many special cases are you going to present to the board??

We can only trust that GM and Copps have already considered all of those factors and to suggest otherwise is shortsighted really.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 05, 2022, 09:15:28 am by steve@dcfd »
I think our league 2 status is the main stumbling block here if he’s had interest from clubs higher up
You could be right but we do not attempt when it comes to paying a fee so we don’t know plus we have then to be competitive with wages which we are not good at aswell.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 05, 2022, 09:19:47 am by steve@dcfd »
I despair at the fact we rule this kind of thing out because he’d cost a fee. This is a player we could make money on. Any risk is minimised by the fa t we already know him and know what he can do, because he played here on loan.

It's the easiest thing to say when you're not holding the pursestrings and you're not aware of the bigger picture.

We may already have signed a player or two with more attacking and goalscoring potential than Martin, in Miller and Molyneux, for free.

We have no clue what the fee is or what his wage demands would be, or whether he'd be prepared to consider dropping to League Two. We already know there are other clubs paying an interest.

Would you really want to make a spacial case for Martin? Don't we all agree we have other priorities first?

We can only trust that GM and Copps have already considered all of those factors and to suggest otherwise is shortsighted really.
All what you say could be right but the limiting factor now for Copps and GMC is the money they have left to get what ever they can. Which has not change from last year really two or three good signings then see what we can get.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 05, 2022, 09:34:46 am by Jonathan »

Im well aware that it’s easy to say this and that when you’re not holding the purse strings. Contrary to what you many be implying, it is possible to be both eternally grateful to (and supportive of) the owners, but frustrated at the insinuation we’d rule out bringing a top player back because he’d cost a fee. I’m allowed an opinion, and my opinion is that it appears short sighted. That doesn’t make me an ungrateful ****, because I’m not!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on July 05, 2022, 09:39:07 am by selby »
  Ever thought we may have someone else spotted we think is as good or better?  It could be one reason not to get involved in an auction.
  I liked him on the ball, but noticed players like Rowe and Clayton constantly telling him where he should be on the field to provide an outlet, quite animatedly at times, also the number of times the coaching staff were doing the same while the game was going on, so his game awareness must be a problem when not on the ball, especially to defenders behind him.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on July 05, 2022, 09:49:37 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Im well aware that it’s easy to say this and that when you’re not holding the purse strings. Contrary to what you many be implying, it is possible to be both eternally grateful to (and supportive of) the owners, but frustrated at the insinuation we’d rule out bringing a top player back because he’d cost a fee. I’m allowed an opinion, and my opinion is that it appears short sighted. That doesn’t make me an ungrateful ****, because I’m not!

Bit why do you assume it's the owners? I'm sure GM and Copps will have weighed everything up and perhaps, they don't intend making that special case for Martin.

They have to be really pragmatic about these things. If we're talking about a left sided player who can contribute goals, we already have Tommy Rowe. Perhaps, in terms of back up, it's a position they're already earmarked for a loan and would rather prioritise other positions?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012