Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:21:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Stockport County game  (Read 8135 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Stockport County game
« on February 27, 2023, 10:24:33 am by selby »
  For many years the highlight of away games for lot's of seasons, the trip over through Tintwhistle and heaven two pubs with a chippy between them, the best trip of the season, now sadly the pubs gone and the chippy a Chinese the last time I passed, but great memories of old times spent with great mates especially the win in 1966 I think it was and the promotion season.
  Sadly it looks very much like the boot is on the other foot today, and if things do not improve over the week, the players find some form I am doubtful they have the combined skills to show us, and the tinkering management find a system and players to suit the system and stop being so pedantic and trying to get players with just average skills at division 2 level to play their romantic football we could be in for another wolloping.
  In Dave Challinor they have a leader who has cobbled a side together to be feared with Wootton and Madden two top strikers at this level, something we miss completely, play to their strengths getting the ball forward and into the area where they can do damage.
  Unfortunately I cannot see what we can do to improve the team player wise, Faulkner should be playing being our best player in both attacking and defending the penalty areas but is not available and seemingly unwanted by the management team at first team level, preferring more technical players with the ball who ship goals in and are not great defenders either in the air or on the floor.
  Most can see that our lone striker is running his blood to water without support even heading balls clear in our own area at one point Saturday, why the hell is he expected to do that he should be up the field, and a big reason why he has run dry, he has got to be frustrated.
  In short many of our faults are self inflicted, and more worryingly there is no sign of urgency, ability, and leadership  on the playing side to right the obvious wrongs, and even more worryingly to me I have the feeling we have and are slowly regressing as the season progresses.
  I can't see us getting anything from this game, I hope desperately I am wrong and seem to be constantly living in hope for my club and team at the moment, and frustrated at what we are being served up as a product of the modern game, and the excuses for it's failure.
  So what do you think, this thread is about the games coming up and our playing side of the club, Budgets and Boards are not a subject, please have your say about the team and its approach to games, let's know what supporters think, and what your answers would be.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Stockport County game
« Reply #1 on February 27, 2023, 11:09:51 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Think it’s one where again we’ll be too tame up front to beat them. We could Nick it 1-0 but if they score 1st it’s game over.

Would love to see us go 433 or 442 but we know it won’t happen. With so many defenders on the pitch we’ll struggle to sustain any pressure I’m afraid.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 27, 2023, 11:42:47 am by roversdude »
We sorely missed Maxwell last weekend and I fear he may be out a while.
Biggins was ponderous on Saturday I think we tried to nullify Bradford rather than play to our strengths. For me Molyneux has to start and along with Hurst really run at defenders, we know that Knoyle is not the best defensively so try and keep him pegged back.
There is one thing for sure we won’t get a deal from the game if we continue lumping the ball up in the air to Miller

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 27, 2023, 12:01:08 pm by EasyforDennis »
I think that barring a miracle or total disaster we will be in league 2 next season. I would like DS to swallow his principles and play with 2 up front for the rest of the season then after we have had our annual clear out of the deadwood DS can build HIS team with HIS players and then set the team up how he wants. All this of course if he is allowed to sign some decent players and not the rubbish we have had to make do with in recent years.

edlored

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 27, 2023, 12:54:06 pm by edlored »
What do we expect when we've got a majority of players who won't or can't tackle

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 27, 2023, 02:20:06 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I think that barring a miracle or total disaster we will be in league 2 next season. I would like DS to swallow his principles and play with 2 up front for the rest of the season then after we have had our annual clear out of the deadwood DS can build HIS team with HIS players and then set the team up how he wants. All this of course if he is allowed to sign some decent players and not the rubbish we have had to make do with in recent years.

Agree with DS needing to swallow his principals in the short term. Don’t think there’s many managers who’ve had decent careers who haven’t just played to win at certain points.

I like that he believes in the ‘process’ but he has to make sure the process is to win games not get himself a P45. He’s safe till December time next season anyway but a but if flexibility in his approach would give me more confidence that he’s going to do whatever it takes to be successful.

No point coming to a club trying one thing and one thing only to be successful and then when it fails get yourself the sack. At least let yourself learn!

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 27, 2023, 03:06:13 pm by ForsolongaRover »
I wonder if anything will change. Can anyone find any quotes which support utter belief in a system? I suppose there is Religion. Is Schofieldism one?  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 27, 2023, 03:44:50 pm by oggycompton »
I bet we score 0 goals

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 27, 2023, 04:42:10 pm by Upton Rover »
Pointless

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 27, 2023, 05:15:54 pm by Butchers Red »

Agree with DS needing to swallow his principals in the short term. Don’t think there’s many managers who’ve had decent careers who haven’t just played to win at certain points.

I like that he believes in the ‘process’ but he has to make sure the process is to win games not get himself a P45. He’s safe till December time next season anyway but a but if flexibility in his approach would give me more confidence that he’s going to do whatever it takes to be successful.

No point coming to a club trying one thing and one thing only to be successful and then when it fails get yourself the sack. At least let yourself learn!

Hang on though - if the "principals" have to be ditched to secure a victory - what does it say about their validity ??

To be honest, he's clearly clueless and totally unrealistic about how to win football matches in league 2. Erling Harland would struggle in that system never mind poor George !

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 27, 2023, 06:41:17 pm by scawsby steve »
I think Stockport will be lusting for revenge in this one. They'll probably feel that the red card caused their defeat at our place, particularly as it still took us until injury time to get the winner.

Knowing how inconsistent we are, and the shock wins at Northampton and Swindon, it would be typical of Rovers to pull one out of the bag on Saturday.

However, if it goes to current form, we could get a mullering.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 27, 2023, 06:48:20 pm by Lesonthewest »
I agree with your last sentence, who would have thought months after being relegated from league 1, here we are languishing in midtable in league 2, talking of being potentially mullered by (with respect) Stockport County, it's a long way back, & I genuinely worry for us next season.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 27, 2023, 06:48:45 pm by Thorney »
I think Stockport will be lusting for revenge in this one. They'll probably feel that the red card caused their defeat at our place, particularly as it still took us until injury time to get the winner.

Knowing how inconsistent we are, and the shock wins at Northampton and Swindon, it would be typical of Rovers to pull one out of the bag on Saturday.

However, if it goes to current form, we could get a mullering.

I'd say the red card 100% caused their defeat. They was on top and looked the most threatening upto that point. We only started getting the ball and finding space after it.

Though I didn't actually see the sending off. I was sat with my daughter absolutely amazed how we took control during that first half and how Stockport had run out of ideas. It was only at half time when having a pint that I overhead someone talking about the red card that I knew.
Wasn't the sending off exactly the same time that there was going to be a minutes applause for the rovers fan that drowned? I was doing the minutes clap.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 27, 2023, 06:54:06 pm by Thorney »
I agree with your last sentence, who would have thought months after being relegated from league 1, here we are languishing in midtable in league 2, talking of being potentially mullered by (with respect) Stockport County, it's a long way back, & I genuinely worry for us next season.

If we are still in this league next season then this summer will be a big one.
If the board doesn't back DS and copps with genuine budgets and give them what they need and want then I can see them both walking.
They can't carry on with making do. Told there is substantial budgets but having to fish around the free agents and loan markets.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 27, 2023, 08:14:28 pm by drfchound »

If we are still in this league next season then this summer will be a big one.
If the board doesn't back DS and copps with genuine budgets and give them what they need and want then I can see them both walking.
They can't carry on with making do. Told there is substantial budgets but having to fish around the free agents and loan markets.

If Schofield is on a rolling 12 month contract like his predecessors then unless he gets an offer from another club, I can’t see him walking away.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 27, 2023, 08:17:20 pm by Campsall rover »

Hang on though - if the "principals" have to be ditched to secure a victory - what does it say about their validity ??

To be honest, he's clearly clueless and totally unrealistic about how to win football matches in league 2. Erling Harland would struggle in that system never mind poor George !
Harland wouldn’t be in double figures playing in this team.
He would have to score wonder solo goals to get any. 
Every striker at any level is only as good as the service he gets. Miller is getting nothing, feeding off scraps.
It’s embarrassing and I feel desperately sorry for him. He is working his socks off but DS is going to destroy him the way we are playing.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 28, 2023, 04:28:54 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I would go 4-1-3-2 against Stockport.

Mitchell

Nelson.    Olowu

Brown.                       Long

Lakin

Hurst.        Rowe.      Molyneux

Miller.            Lavery

Subs Reo, Close, Todd Miller, Biggins, Seaman, Anderson, Oram

I would put Long in at left back, solidifying the back line on the left, rather than worrying about trying to get forward, from left back. They have two good strikers getting that extra man in there would help.
I would let Lakin play the picking up the pieces role in front of the defence and put Tommy further forward where he is best. Put both wingers on their natural sides rather than cutting in.
This all allows us to get a partner for George up front, without weakening the team.

On the bench I think we need to be having a look at Reo, with a view to working out if he will be here next season, he has to start performing. Todd Miller needs some minutes to see if we can rely on him if needed.
Close and Biggins,I think most would put one of them in the midfield instead of the two wingers. I would invert the wingers getting them starting inside slightly, but with the option of going outside. Running at defenders and also getting quality balls into the box.

We need movement from the two strikers. With this system they would need to work hard and press everything as the whole team would because to win with this you can’t give the opposition a seconds thought. I think this formation would beat Stockport.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 28, 2023, 06:28:52 am by ncRover »

Harland wouldn’t be in double figures playing in this team.
He would have to score wonder solo goals to get any. 
Every striker at any level is only as good as the service he gets. Miller is getting nothing, feeding off scraps.
It’s embarrassing and I feel desperately sorry for him. He is working his socks off but DS is going to destroy him the way we are playing.

I agree that he shouldn’t be playing as a lone striker, but he is getting chances. As I commented on another thread, the stats show that Miller has missed the most big chances in the league.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 28, 2023, 08:50:22 am by Chris Black come back »
I would go 4-1-3-2 against Stockport.

Mitchell

Nelson.    Olowu

Brown.                       Long

Lakin

Hurst.        Rowe.      Molyneux

Miller.            Lavery

Subs Reo, Close, Todd Miller, Biggins, Seaman, Anderson, Oram

I would put Long in at left back, solidifying the back line on the left, rather than worrying about trying to get forward, from left back. They have two good strikers getting that extra man in there would help.
I would let Lakin play the picking up the pieces role in front of the defence and put Tommy further forward where he is best. Put both wingers on their natural sides rather than cutting in.
This all allows us to get a partner for George up front, without weakening the team.

On the bench I think we need to be having a look at Reo, with a view to working out if he will be here next season, he has to start performing. Todd Miller needs some minutes to see if we can rely on him if needed.
Close and Biggins,I think most would put one of them in the midfield instead of the two wingers. I would invert the wingers getting them starting inside slightly, but with the option of going outside. Running at defenders and also getting quality balls into the box.

We need movement from the two strikers. With this system they would need to work hard and press everything as the whole team would because to win with this you can’t give the opposition a seconds thought. I think this formation would beat Stockport.

I don’t think Schofield has played 4 at the back voluntarily yet and Long is no way a left back.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 02, 2023, 07:15:07 am by ncRover »
Will Collar appears to be the in form man for them. We’ll have to be switched on to his late runs in to the box from midfield.

I’d back Anderson to handle Wootton.

If Barrow can beat these, we can.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 07:17:23 am by ncRover »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 02, 2023, 01:11:09 pm by roversdude »
Long would be totally exposed at LB in my opinion he just hasn’t the pace/reading of the game to play there
I think that maybe the die has already been cast in regards to Reo

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 02, 2023, 02:07:00 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Got my ticket today. Expecting the football to ruin the day out. Hope I'm wrong.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 02, 2023, 02:17:34 pm by steve@dcfd »
Got my ticket today. Expecting the football to ruin the day out. Hope I'm wrong.
There’s one thing you won’t be the only one to have your day ruin. I believe we’ve sold over 1100 tickets of the 1400 allocated. Some brave souls who follow rovers. They must be able to see DS’s process.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 02, 2023, 02:37:01 pm by ForsolongaRover »
There’s one thing you won’t be the only one to have your day ruin. I believe we’ve sold over 1100 tickets of the 1400 allocated. Some brave souls who follow rovers. They must be able to see DS’s process.

Reducing activities to processes is interesting. Converting the support of a football team into a process would not be possible without the emotional ingredient. Come to think of it, the conversion of what 11 players do running round kicking a football cannot properly be defined and operated solely as a process either. The missing ingredient is the human component - endeavour, enthusiasm, and that popular word with pundits, “passion”.

And there is not much emotion, let alone passion, in the way Schofield talks about his work.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 02, 2023, 03:07:12 pm by vaya »

Reducing activities to processes is interesting. Converting the support of a football team into a process would not be possible without the emotional ingredient. Come to think of it, the conversion of what 11 players do running round kicking a football cannot properly be defined and operated solely as a process either. The missing ingredient is the human component - endeavour, enthusiasm, and that popular word with pundits, “passion”.

And there is not much emotion, let alone passion, in the way Schofield talks about his work.

Out of interest, did you used to do the final question 3-2-1?

I only ask as they're about the only other thing involving a similar tortuous leap of logic to shoehorn having a go at the way Schofield comes across into every thread.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 02, 2023, 04:10:35 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Vaya: I was unfamiliar with 3-2-1 until I looked it up, but would welcome your reasoned response. Perhaps you can shine the light on Schofield and his processes and how they answer all our problems. I am sure that you understand that I do not think that processes alone are enough.

I imagine that others, whom I deduce from their comments, share my concerns, would be interested too.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 02, 2023, 04:26:19 pm by vaya »
Vaya: I was unfamiliar with 3-2-1 until I looked it up, but would welcome your reasoned response. Perhaps you can shine the light on Schofield and his processes and how they answer all our problems. I am sure that you understand that I do not think that processes alone are enough.

I imagine that others, whom I deduce from their comments, share my concerns, would be interested too.

It's not 'processes' though is it? That's just a proxy for a series of Tate Modern-level pretentious character assassinations aimed at the bloke from behind the safety of an internet forum.

If people want to question his team selection or tactics then fair enough.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 02, 2023, 05:24:25 pm by ForsolongaRover »
But it is not character assassination. I would deduce from his interviews that he is a man with a firm belief in his principles. In life such people are not uncommon and in many ways admirable. It does not mean that their methods and philosophy are unchallengeable because of that.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 02, 2023, 05:37:17 pm by vaya »
But it is not character assassination. I would deduce from his interviews that he is a man with a firm belief in his principles. In life such people are not uncommon and in many ways admirable. It does not mean that their methods and philosophy are unchallengeable because of that.

Yep, because calling someone "unemotional, detached and lacking in empathy" definitely can't be classed as a character assassination.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 02, 2023, 06:27:05 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Another game with what looks like an okay following. Already 1100 sold. I suppose it's one for the ground tickers.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012