Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:34:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Richard wood set to sign  (Read 8083 times)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Richard wood set to sign
« Reply #60 on May 23, 2023, 07:44:32 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
This is a massive signing for us. It really is.
He could have had his pick of League 1 clubs undoubtedly.
Just shows how much GM us considered to be a very good Manager.
Also near to home of course.

Yes this is a marquee signing. We could not have possibly got a better one imo.
If we could have thenname him that’s what I say.

Apparently he was joining when Schofield was here so I wouldn’t put this one down to McCann. More location based.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on May 23, 2023, 07:48:27 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
These are not the flair players, but the ones that will stop us leaking goals at the back. Part of a new spine that we desperately need.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on May 23, 2023, 07:55:58 pm by mpc123 »

Apparently he was joining when Schofield was here so I wouldn’t put this one down to McCann. More location based.

Apparently the keyword.

Maybe the talks were of mccann coming even when schofield was here... I presume with the speed of the mccann appointment, this was the case.

Mccann is going to make a massive difference

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on May 23, 2023, 07:59:17 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Apparently the keyword.

Maybe the talks were of mccann coming even when schofield was here... I presume with the speed of the mccann appointment, this was the case.

Mccann is going to make a massive difference

Agree he’d be able to sell having a promotion season to better players with a straight face, something DS could never have done. Just in this case the groundwork had been done already

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on May 23, 2023, 08:09:58 pm by scawsby steve »
If Copps has identified this one, then he deserves some credit.

Plus Terry's cash of course. Wood won't have come for peanuts.

Friendly Miller

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on May 23, 2023, 08:12:23 pm by Friendly Miller »
You’ve got yourselves a good one here. Ignore his age, the guy is as as a fiddle and won’t leave anything on the pitch.
I actually wanted him to stay another season at the NYS but our loss is your gain.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on May 23, 2023, 08:14:29 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Never my favourite centre half at either Wednesday or Rotherham....because he was annoyingly good for a carthorse.

One of those who does what it says on the tin and more. Great leader on the pitch and won't stand for any nonsense.

If McCann wanted character then we've got it in spades. We've got a good mix at centre half now, just a case of finding the right blend but we'll need them all.

He speaks well and I wonder whether a bit of Paul Warne has rubbed off on him and maybe he's destined to be management material.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on May 23, 2023, 08:14:56 pm by GazLaz »

If we could have then name him that’s what I say.

He obviously wanted to stay local having kids at school.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on May 23, 2023, 08:15:16 pm by Canadian Rover »
No doubt a solid player but how is he supposed to play in a system where of high press like we are told we are getting; surely doesn’t have the legs or pace for that.

High press doesn't effect the centre half.

This is a fantastic signing for us.

Bravo

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on May 23, 2023, 08:15:27 pm by drfchound »
Him and Anderson could be monsters at that level, if Anderson can get back to what he was.
If the manager played three at the back those two with either Olowu or Faulkner clearing up around them, it would take some beating.

The last time we won a league title we had (apparently) a dodgy keeper and the two monsters that were Jones and McCombe as centre backs.   Could history be about to repeat itself.

Stocksbridge Owl

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on May 23, 2023, 08:19:14 pm by Stocksbridge Owl »
You guys have got yourself a brilliant signing here! From all that I’ve seen of him, he’s a real leader. There’ll be no hiding place on the pitch when he’s around. He demands 100% from everyone and won’t accept anything less. He’s also a very good defender and should be outstanding for League 2.

I know one or two Millers fans who’ll be disappointed that they’ve not not an extra season out of him.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on May 23, 2023, 08:23:24 pm by Campsall rover »
Get the spine of the team right first.
Everything else is a bonus.
With a great spine then players like Molyneux & Hurst can flourish.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on May 23, 2023, 08:27:11 pm by karldew »
You guys have got yourself a brilliant signing here! From all that I’ve seen of him, he’s a real leader. There’ll be no hiding place on the pitch when he’s around. He demands 100% from everyone and won’t accept anything less. He’s also a very good defender and should be outstanding for League 2.

I know one or two Millers fans who’ll be disappointed that they’ve not not an extra season out of him.

New captain for 23/24 season??

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on May 23, 2023, 08:31:16 pm by danumdon »
Very good signing for us. What this does immediately is changes all the dynamics in that awful failing defence of the last few years. His leadership and commitment will rub off on our youngsters and will force Anderson to up his game fourfold.
This looks like the start of rebuilding our weak spine, i'm now looking forward to "real marquee" signings in the central midfield and attack positions.

Complete mindset change happening at the club now, thank god, we all knew bringing in a manager of the calibre of McCann would have us down this type of road.

When you look at this in isolation to what we've had to persevere with for far too long the word "inspirational" comes to mind.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on May 23, 2023, 08:40:06 pm by Upton Rover »
This manager doing all the right things so far, experience is what we need, another A1 signing

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on May 23, 2023, 08:44:55 pm by danumdon »

Try and keep it off him!

This is what a proper leader looks like, when you've "hated/envied" a player for years because he was such a good player and someone that you would of loved to have in your side you just know you've managed a real coup.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on May 23, 2023, 08:46:53 pm by Alan Southstand »
What’s left?

RB
Midfielders
Striker

2 down, 6 to go, if we’re to believe what GM has said.

Starting to get interesting.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on May 23, 2023, 08:52:52 pm by danumdon »
I'm loving the fact that GM is actively going out and getting his first teamers in straight away before he blows any of the budget on infill.

It will be great to see six new players that go straight into the starting line up next season, no messing with the ancillaries, we have enough already!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on May 23, 2023, 08:56:41 pm by DonnyOsmond »
What’s left?

RB
Midfielders
Striker

Creative winger too.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on May 23, 2023, 09:01:09 pm by Lesonthewest »
What a brilliant signing this is. Wipes away the losing mentality in a heartbeat, a real leader & winner. Was it Cloughie who always said get the spine of your team right. Centre forward next? August can't come quick enough.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on May 23, 2023, 09:09:38 pm by Chris Black come back »
What’s left?

RB
Midfielders
Striker

Creative winger too.

We’ve got an odd bunch of wide players. Rowe who McCann didn’t really play that much last time, Taylor who god knows whether he can play again and Hurst who while talented is fragile. That’s two left sided players and one right sided player. I’m not sure whether due to age and fitness we can count on Rowe or Taylor starting 30+ games next season so we would probably need another right and left sided genuine winger or wide player to join.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on May 23, 2023, 09:10:49 pm by ncRover »
What’s left?

RB
Midfielders
Striker

We need a fast, direct wide forward (like Cliff said 4-3-3 means 3 strikers)

2x durable midfielders

Target man

Right back

Another left back ideally more defensive / experienced option to compliment Maxwell.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on May 23, 2023, 09:12:02 pm by danumdon »
What a brilliant signing this is. Wipes away the losing mentality in a heartbeat, a real leader & winner. Was it Cloughie who always said get the spine of your team right. Centre forward next? August can't come quick enough.

Lets keep it symmetrical and get that dominant midfield general we've been desperate for since Whitman left. :)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on May 23, 2023, 09:14:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Why the fuss about his age? Remind me how old was Copps when he played his last game?

Think you said the same when we signed Lee Tomlin.

Comparing a rock solid, dependable professional with, well let's say someone a bit more mercurial.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on May 23, 2023, 09:14:44 pm by Ryaldinhio »
What’s left?

RB
Midfielders
Striker

Creative winger too.

We’ve got an odd bunch of wide players. Rowe who McCann didn’t really play that much last time, Taylor who god knows whether he can play again and Hurst who while talented is fragile. That’s two left sided players and one right sided player. I’m not sure whether due to age and fitness we can count on Rowe or Taylor starting 30+ games next season so we would probably need another right and left sided genuine winger or wide player to join.

Molyeneux in there aswell

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on May 23, 2023, 09:26:54 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
When you have solid players playing behind you like this, the creative players relax and produce what they’re capable of.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on May 23, 2023, 09:28:04 pm by donnybez »
Great signing! I'm chuffed with that.

Random one for Millers maybe: Whats he like at attacking corners? Might we see someone help us to make best use of set pieces?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on May 23, 2023, 09:31:43 pm by Alan Southstand »
Undeniably, yes.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on May 23, 2023, 09:33:19 pm by Ryaldinhio »
Great signing! I'm chuffed with that.

Random one for Millers maybe: Whats he like at attacking corners? Might we see someone help us to make best use of set pieces?

Quick Google and says he got 4 goals and 2 assists in 24 games last yr.  If that is right then a goal involvement at a rate of 1in4 at championship level. I'd like to think he will get a few goals for us next yr.

The more I read up the more I like this signing. Sounds like it was in the pipe line pre-Mcann, if so then maybe a few on here will back of the heat on Copps' work in background.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on May 23, 2023, 09:33:41 pm by Bessie Red »

McCann would be mad not to make him Captain!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012