Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:56:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lets talk about the Harrogate game  (Read 8476 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Lets talk about the Harrogate game
« on January 02, 2024, 02:51:41 am by selby »
  This is the big test, after two great performances against well established football sides we come up against what has become our problem type team, basically a team made up of players  very much in the get up and at them non league physical in your face no fancy Dan's all effort and ambition teams, whose main aim is to get crosses into the box and put pressure on players all over the pitch when they don't have the ball and love a challenge.
  Not only that we are going for our third game unbeaten, something as rare as a moon landing since the start of last season in 2022
 Again a team we can close up on if we can muster a win but at the moment they lye a healthy 14th to our heady for us 19th and six points better off than ourselves and could be said to be having a good season yesterday being pegged back in the last few minutes for a 2-2 draw against Morecambe who mullered us a couple of weeks back when some on here  thought it would be easy, we can't make the same mistake again. Nothing in this division is easy with more teams employing different styles of play than most other divisions.
  The starting line up for us would be a surprise if there were any changes from yesterday at all barring injury as everyone played well again, and we are looking for consistency, but will the bench or any new comers make the team or bench even at this point is another unknown but a little bit of spice to throw into the mix at this point.
  Thompson and Muldoon can cause problems for Harrogate and their side play with power and are set up to be good on the break and get the ball in the box quickly and can mix it physically, so dangerous to us and a place we have never exactly covered ourselves in glory, but now with not a lot to lose can approach every game the same and go for it and try and end the season looking in better shape.
  Apart from a 2-0 loss to Tranmere in their last home game they are themselves on a decent run, that includes a 3-1 win v Notts County who pulled our pants down just a few days ago so not an easy fixture or place to visit.
   Like everyone else I want us to carry on now  playing with the enthusiasm team work and effort we have shown in the last two games, a complete change of atmosphere in the supporters and enjoyable again, the fact it has come at the start of a new year hopefully a  big omen we have finally turned a corner, probably  the biggest question about this game, can we extend this form further? can we get even better? the exciting one, will there be any new faces?
  Grant and the team look to have worked hard on the fitness levels the way they have played the last few games to me, or he has demanded they step it up, do you think so?
  Lots to discuss about this game, and for me to thank you all for reading my musings and commenting over the last few years, and for me to wish everyone at the club and all our supporters a happy and prosperous new year and an entertaining football year to come.
   Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
Re: Lets talk about the Harrogate game
« Reply #1 on January 02, 2024, 04:42:27 am by Sammy Chung was King »
It’s important to maintain standards, and to not let whoever we face distract us from that.
For me without injuries then the same team faces Harrogate.
We need to start off quick and be relentless. Be in their faces, match their effort but have the know how to play our football.

Make sure we are nice and tight, and give Ironside and Faal, the service they need.
I see a few goals in this, a real tipsy turvvy game, with us just edging it.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 02, 2024, 08:02:59 am by Paul Simpson »
Should have some new faces in by the weekend to bolster the squad

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 02, 2024, 08:50:08 am by Dutch Uncle »
As a statto it is a game I very much want us to win.

Of the other 91 FL clubs there are only three we have never beaten - Chelsea (never played in a Lge game), Newcastle, .................. and Harrogate. Win and we will have beaten 89 of the other FL teams, the highest in our history (until recently there was always Sunderland as well that we had never beaten)

Despite them being significantly better away than at home, not wanting to put the kybosh on it means I will be predicting loss on PvO  :lol: :lol:

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 02, 2024, 09:56:39 am by roversdude »
Selby thanks for starting these threads throughout 2023, they really pose questions and offer great debate.
Rinse and repeat barring knocks hopefully a slightly stronger bench with the incomings.
Straughan Brown looks like he could be a regular first team player in the not too distant future.
Think we have to play to our strengths which seems to be 4 at the back

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 02, 2024, 10:02:36 am by drfchound »
Agreed on Straughan Brown.
He has a nice touch and appears to be very much aware of where players are around him.
I would like to see him around the first team a bit more.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 02, 2024, 10:11:21 am by roversdude »
Certainly doesn’t seem fazed stepping up to men’s football

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 02, 2024, 10:35:17 am by Arsenal Of The North »
Don’t forget this is a 1pm kick off!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 02, 2024, 11:21:45 am by selby »
  Just a word of caution on Brown after watching him in the under 18s, yes he is going to be very very good, but if he has a weakness to me when I have watched him a lot; is he get's carried away and tries probably too much, hurtles around and loses shape, and loses his temper a little too easily if he does something wrong and dives in which could get him into trouble.
  A very likable lad and can be a gem and needs nurturing well, with him, Flint, Faulkner, Goodman, and I am going to go along with Adamson as another the academy has done very well in the last few years  the coaches and staff deserving credit.
  As for your stats Dutch, I am now a believer in miracles as I am sure I saw Close dive into a crunching tackle yesterday in the game and at last us use the tactical foul to some effect in midfield, hopefully no longer to be rolled over. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:24:05 am by selby »

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 02, 2024, 11:34:13 am by drfc1951 »

Does this mean it will be available to watch on ifollow in uk

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 02, 2024, 12:59:36 pm by RugbyRover »

Does this mean it will be available to watch on ifollow in uk

audio only

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 02, 2024, 01:22:03 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
  Just a word of caution on Brown after watching him in the under 18s, yes he is going to be very very good, but if he has a weakness to me when I have watched him a lot; is he get's carried away and tries probably too much, hurtles around and loses shape, and loses his temper a little too easily if he does something wrong and dives in which could get him into trouble.
  A very likable lad and can be a gem and needs nurturing well, with him, Flint, Faulkner, Goodman, and I am going to go along with Adamson as another the academy has done very well in the last few years  the coaches and staff deserving credit.
  As for your stats Dutch, I am now a believer in miracles as I am sure I saw Close dive into a crunching tackle yesterday in the game and at last us use the tactical foul to some effect in midfield, hopefully no longer to be rolled over. 

Was quite surprised to see he joined in the under 9 category aswell. That's a long time with rovers.

CaptainStock

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 02, 2024, 01:38:06 pm by CaptainStock »
Anyone know where is good for parking for the game? I've seen the Harrogate away guide suggests there's a bit of street parking close by

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 02, 2024, 03:05:01 pm by WarwickRover »
Thank you for your posts,  I enjoy reading them. Best wishes for 2024

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 02, 2024, 04:10:44 pm by adamtherover »
Hopefully the good win yesterday will mean the remaining tickets are snapped up when they go on general sale tomoz

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 02, 2024, 04:35:52 pm by roversdude »
Anyone know where is good for parking for the game? I've seen the Harrogate away guide suggests there's a bit of street parking close by

There was street parking along St Nicholas Way and surrounding streets last year. You can also book parking At Sainsbury’s on “Your Parking Space” about 10 minute walk away

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 02, 2024, 06:24:17 pm by selby »
  We have an opportunity if we are sensible to really set the team up to challenge next season.
   Unless we have a complete reversal in form lasting the whole of the second half of the season, coupled with one or two sides up near the top having poor runs of form, the only realistic competition we can do anything in is the EFL Trophy, and that does not mean I have given up hope of a decent finish to the season, but I see no advantage signing numbers for the sake of it and our position in the league allows us time to build on what is here we want to keep and apart for a couple of good ones that may be available now we want, also gives us a chance to take a look at the market and pick wisely and have a shake out of any here we deem not good enough long term.
  That could be the hardest part.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 07:12:09 pm by selby »

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 02, 2024, 07:31:45 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Just a word of caution, no team is too good to go down, and if any of FGR, Colchester or Sutton recruit well or hit form we can still be dragged into a dogfight. I would be trying to strengthen just on those grounds.  :chair:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 02, 2024, 08:23:06 pm by selby »
  Dutch, if we go down it would constitute gross incompetence as non of the teams below us, and a lot above us in the table are incapable of playing as well as we have done in the last two games and at Peterborough with the squad we have now with no additions.
   We need a couple of the right type of players to fit in the style of play now being formed at the club not too many that would set us back while they integrated.
  I see that as more troublesome than taking small steps forward at the moment, too many incoming could well upset the little momentum we now have, that is why consolidating these last two results are so important in the next few games and see where we are with a couple of weeks left in the window instead of jumping in in the next few days.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 02, 2024, 09:13:42 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We’ve not exactly been strangers to gross incompetence recently.

I agree in general though. No need to sign a 30+ year old striker like a Agard type or to give a big contract to an unknown from Lyon this Jan.

Sensible to loan a few where we need cover or sign younger frees on low risk contracts to bulk the squad out with the injuries.

andy didcott

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 03, 2024, 09:12:43 am by andy didcott »
Sold out.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 03, 2024, 09:37:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
Poor home record on paper. Only Sutton, Salford and Forest Green have a poorer record. Although they have had some excellent home results recently - beating Notts County and Accrington, and drawing with Wrexham, in the last month or so. Oddly their last home game was a defeat to Tranmere, and only Forest Green have fewer away points than Tranmere.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 03, 2024, 09:45:42 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I’d be very surprised if the two new signings don’t go straight into the team

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 03, 2024, 09:45:59 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Poor home record on paper. Only Sutton, Salford and Forest Green have a poorer record. Although they have had some excellent home results recently - beating Notts County and Accrington, and drawing with Wrexham, in the last month or so. Oddly their last home game was a defeat to Tranmere, and only Forest Green have fewer away points than Tranmere.

You may have overlooked the fact that Tranmere have taken 15 points out of the last 18.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 03, 2024, 10:10:51 pm by Chris Black come back »
I definitely didn't overlook that.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 03, 2024, 10:15:33 pm by roversdude »
I’d be very surprised if the two new signings don’t go straight into the team
Maybe straight into the squad - have I missed the second signing btw

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 03, 2024, 10:16:32 pm by Alan Southstand »
See Rumours.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 04, 2024, 07:48:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
Luke Armstrong gone to Carlisle!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 04, 2024, 07:54:11 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Carlisle have signed a few. Peterborough got a good one Jed Steer on a free.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 05, 2024, 09:01:59 am by selby »
 This game is no ordinary game for us, once again we have looked like we have turned a corner, and every time in the past our inconsistency has risen to the surface about the third game undefeated, and we have been rolled over by teams mostly in the top half of the division until the Mansfield and MK Dons games came along.
  Also we have shown a marked weakness against the up and at them in your faces type of teams who pressurise our weak defence and mid field, again until those last two games and the odd flash of light in the season up to press.
  Has the penny dropped at last is the question we need answering this weekend, and against a team we have never beaten in competition, so a monkey to get off our back, and the same determination not to be beaten like we showed in the last two games will be needed against a side capable of beating us if we give them the opportunity.
  The two new players should strengthen the bench as the starting team in the last two games have done very well, and our bench has been weak and we got away with it in those two games.
  We need a good performance again to get anything out of this upcoming game, and they will fancy their chances knowing we are sh*t or sugar and can be shaken out of our stride.  Our main aim needs to be play our football and when needed stand up to be counted and cut out the bad mistakes in our own half.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 09:04:29 am by selby »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012