Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:42:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Allardyce  (Read 12731 times)

watto-drfc

• Forum Member
Allardyce
« on July 20, 2016, 06:41:52 pm by watto-drfc »
New england manager

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Re: Allardyce
« Reply #1 on July 20, 2016, 07:09:58 pm by Draytonian III »
Why not , at least he will show some passion and won't be scared to pick " lesser " players,  eg Noble,Drinkwater, Carroll,Coppinger  etc

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 20, 2016, 07:11:07 pm by mushRTID »
At least we will have a plan and style. Some won't like it but better than none at all!

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 20, 2016, 07:45:24 pm by rtid88 »
Better than Steve Bruce and that's enough for me tbh. IMO we have got a good nucleus of a squad and hopefully Big Sam can set that squad up with a plan to win games and pick players that are in form and not because of their club and past form.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 20, 2016, 07:48:55 pm by bedale rover »
Why not , at least he will show some passion and won't be scared to pick " lesser " players,  eg Noble,Drinkwater, Carroll,Coppinger  etc

Couldn't give a stuff about passion
I want a coach who can pick a team to win and clever enough to change when it goes wrong

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 20, 2016, 07:49:08 pm by southwestexile »
Did Mike Bassett get an interview?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 20, 2016, 08:42:43 pm by Donnywolf »
At least we should avoid getting relegated from our Group in World Cup and Euros while he is in charge !

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 20, 2016, 10:34:07 pm by glosterred »
With Big Sam getting the England job I wonder if Steve Bruces nose has been put out of joint and how would you tell?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 20, 2016, 11:43:01 pm by Chris Black come back »
Literally anyone is better than the piss weak suits we have been saddled with for years now. All of them shit scared of "Becks" and "Wazza". It ain't working lads. Drop them!

Sam won't win us anything but he will get some structure, passion and effort in the England team and won't be blind to those Billy big b*llocks in squad who are seemingly undroppable.

Get in there, knock a few heads together, play shit football but shake it up. Exactly how I see it working out. Amazed FA had b*llocks to do it.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 21, 2016, 12:01:37 am by godlike1 »
Christ if we have become glad about Sam becoming England manager it shows how little we think of the national football team

He is the real life Mike Bassett

It's yet another complete lack of long term planning and foresight by the FA who have openly admitted that they know nothing about football

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 21, 2016, 01:08:16 am by Chris Black come back »
I see our last few managers as being 2/10 jobs.

Allardyce is probably 3-4/10 and therefore is an improvement. Indeed almost twice as good.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 21, 2016, 02:43:51 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Organised, forward thinking, badly wanted the job, there will be no favouritism, if players don't do it for him, they will be out!.

Orlandokarla

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 21, 2016, 04:15:57 am by Orlandokarla »
Sam Allardyce? Sam F****** Allardyce??? WTF???

I knew it was only a matter of time before the FA, like the majority of the fans, just gave up.

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 21, 2016, 06:33:51 am by RoversDave »
Just think if big Sam had got our job in 1994 what we would have missed over the last twenty years.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 21, 2016, 06:59:17 am by Rovers91 »
Allardyce is a good appointment, he's a good manager.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 21, 2016, 07:12:59 am by The Red Baron »
Good organiser and not as much of a dinosaur as people think. Probably the best available candidate. Certainly the best English one.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 21, 2016, 08:52:33 am by Jonathan »
He's the victim of a bit of negative stereotyping (Mike Bassett?) but he's no fool and nor will he suffer fools. He'll get the team doing the basics right, and that's something in itself as recently we've got the basics very wrong.

He'll care, like our amazing set of travelling supporters care, and for that I think he'll command respect. Right choice at the right time I think. Good luck to him.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:54:32 pm by Jonathan »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 21, 2016, 09:10:50 am by GazLaz »
Anyone that says he's an old fashioned long ball merchand must not watch football. He's a horses for courses merchant.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 21, 2016, 09:15:17 am by idler »
I was very impressed with Bolton's football when they beat us 4-0 in the FA cup.
They played good stuff, were as physical or more so than us and much fitter. I think that Iranian lad they had in midfield is still running.
A good few reserves in that day as well.
I think he might give us some pride and play people that think about pride more than money.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 21, 2016, 10:05:28 am by Dare to dream! »
Good appointment for me, very underrated manager. Also agree with what people say about him, he ins't just a long ball manager.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 21, 2016, 01:43:22 pm by RedRover45 »
Christ if we have become glad about Sam becoming England manager it shows how little we think of the national football team

He is the real life Mike Bassett

It's yet another complete lack of long term planning and foresight by the FA who have openly admitted that they know nothing about football
If he's half as successful as Mike Bassett then I'll be happy. He did reach the semis of the World Cup after all.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:40:52 pm by RedRover45 »

Orlandokarla

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 22, 2016, 04:07:46 am by Orlandokarla »

A good appointment? Based on what, exactly? His track record of success as a manager?
A couple of play-off wins with highly-fancied teams gets you the England manager's job these days? Really? Perhaps it's his L2 winners medal... no wait, it must be his LC runners-up medal.  ;)
He's been sacked from anything even vaguely approaching an established or ambitious PL club; Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham. He has never been so much as linked with a job at a top club.

I really don't hate the bloke, and I do rate him as a manager.... for a lesser PL team. However, I fail to see what he has achieved in his career that possibly justifies him even being considered for the England job.

Doesn't take shit, is English, and isn't Gareth Southgate, are not criteria to appoint an England manager. He was a great appointment for Sunderland, but England?

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 22, 2016, 06:32:10 am by Red wizard »
Tbh I think the only side he has never over achieved is Newcastle. For the teams he's managed he always hits is targets and more.Not sure if he got sacked from Blackburn. What he did at Bolton was on par with winning the league. Had a great time at Sunderland when every man and his dog thought they was doomed.

Is he a great manager who's won top leagues? No
 But we have had managers who have and they did well,not.
Has he got a track record of getting the very best oit of players? Yes.
He's got a knack of getting 11 players to give that extra 10%. If he can continue to do that he may just do a decent job.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 22, 2016, 07:26:54 am by Nudga »
Managers like Big Sam would never get the big PL  jobs as they are seen as unfashionable.
Big Sam has done a good job with the teams and resources he's had, you can only piss with the cock you've got after all. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done at say Liverpool or Chelsea with the money and attraction they have.
I'm more excited by this appointment than I was when Roy was given the job.
Let's get behind him and see what he can do.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 22, 2016, 08:11:31 am by The Red Baron »

A good appointment? Based on what, exactly? His track record of success as a manager?
A couple of play-off wins with highly-fancied teams gets you the England manager's job these days? Really? Perhaps it's his L2 winners medal... no wait, it must be his LC runners-up medal.  ;)
He's been sacked from anything even vaguely approaching an established or ambitious PL club; Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham. He has never been so much as linked with a job at a top club.

I really don't hate the bloke, and I do rate him as a manager.... for a lesser PL team. However, I fail to see what he has achieved in his career that possibly justifies him even being considered for the England job.

Doesn't take shit, is English, and isn't Gareth Southgate, are not criteria to appoint an England manager. He was a great appointment for Sunderland, but England?

Can you suggest a better alternative? In particular, a better English alternative?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 22, 2016, 08:50:20 am by Jonathan »

Based on recent tournament performances England are the equivalent of a failing club.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 22, 2016, 10:12:53 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I can see the strap line now.

Sam Allardyce: It's not as shite as it could have been!

I wonder if that clock at FA HQ has stopped?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 22, 2016, 11:14:38 am by Jonathan »
I can see the strap line now.

Sam Allardyce: It's not as shite as it could have been!

I wonder if that clock at FA HQ has stopped?

Not a fan then?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 22, 2016, 01:44:43 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
the west ham way  used to be by having mainly local lads meaning London (excluding millwall   ) born players and believing they were much better than they really were

they were also a "Christmas trimmings football team" after xmas they always came down the table

the new west ham way  has replaced London with "planet earth" players

meaning as I call it "they want local players "born on planet earth" -- local to planet earth

just like any premier league team they have lost their identity being just another "league of all nations team"

goes well with the EFL DIVISIONS  (ENGLISH as a FOREIGN LANGUAGE) DIVISIONS
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:47:37 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 22, 2016, 11:40:37 pm by Pancho Regan »
Given the position the England team is in, I think this is a good appointment.

Perhaps we've had enough of the foreign managers who were supposed to bring some culture to our national team (Cappello, Sven) and the so-called cultured English managers who could pit their wits against the best in the world (McClaren, Hodgson).

So, we now have an English England Manager who looks delighted by his appointment and appears enthusiastic about the task ahead.

Good luck to Sam, I think he may well prove the best appointment since Venables.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012