Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 04:56:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Agard signs 18 month contract  (Read 9112 times)

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
Re: Agard signs 18 month contract
« Reply #60 on January 12, 2022, 09:47:52 pm by Upton Rover »
Never seemed to be the same player since he could not agree terms with Leeds in 2014 after the club agreed terms with Rotherham he then went to Bristol City and seemed to struggle

I don't think that's right at all. He scored plenty for Bristol City that year as they got promoted, he had another double figure scoring season in League One at MK and then scored 20 odd goals for them in League Two. We wouldn't balk at those goal returns now in either league.
I just remember his Championship season with Bristol City and he did struggle never quite made it at championship level 2 goals in that season, granted was a better L1 player when playing at MKD ,

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on January 12, 2022, 09:51:55 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Decent experienced signing around league 1 and 2   just what we need

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on January 12, 2022, 10:30:13 pm by Michael Shaw »
We have a deep hole to climb out of. After Cukur and Vilca he is just what we need to bring some experience and quality to the squad. Good luck to him and a good start to the new signings.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 12, 2022, 10:34:32 pm by Barmby Rover »
21 league goals in the last 5 seasons playing in Lg.1 Scored 20 in Lg.2 when MKD went down.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 12, 2022, 10:40:16 pm by Jonathan »
Nice tweet from Jordan Houghton - “great guy for a great club”

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on January 12, 2022, 11:43:49 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Nice tweet from Jordan Houghton - “great guy for a great club”

Shame we can't get Houghton back too.

MagicMartinoWoods

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on January 13, 2022, 12:11:36 am by MagicMartinoWoods »
I'm hoping with more experienced players coming in to offer leadership, it could take pressure off of Rowe and Big Tom from being the only leaders in the team and, particularly in Tom's case, allow him to find a bit of form when he returns

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on January 13, 2022, 02:04:41 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I can’t see anything but positive signing Agard. Good experience, good instincts around the area, hard working. Fresh blood and new ideas, it just gives the place a little boost. Be careful with him if we can, by all means start him ,but ease him in also.
A young striker on loan would give it a good balance. Somebody who comes here and sees it as an opportunity to improve themselves.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on January 13, 2022, 07:57:58 am by colincramb »
Happy enough with this as a start for next next season. Don’t think he’s the messiah to save us this year, it’s too late for that now unfortunately. Brings some experience.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on January 13, 2022, 08:02:51 am by Bailey Vickerage »
Very good signing imo. We were never going to sign someone who has scored 10+ goals already this season and is playing regularly but we have signed someone with a lot of experience in this league and is a proven goalscorer throughout his career. He’s also supposed to be a great person to have in the dressing room and on the pitch with his work rate and experience.

He’s not gonna get us to safety on his own but he’s a good addition and we need to bring 1 or 2 more in to create the chances for him and give us the best possible chance to stay up.

pafcprogs

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on January 13, 2022, 11:53:56 am by pafcprogs »
Quick note from your occasional Argyle contributor.

So Agard was signed as cover as we lost Niall Ennis in the warm up at the start of the season opener at Rotherham. Mainly a bench player for us, with very few minutes.....scored in his two Trophy games against the youth teams and then netted the winner in a. somewhat surprise start v Charlton just before Xmas. Good clam finish ( although he also missed an absolute sitter)

So he was never seen as a long term option for us , although Shumacher gave him a chance ...but suspect we might be aiming to sign Garrick permanently from the Swans if they will sell. One positive was all the feedback was he was a model pro and very good for dressing room morale...indeed when he scored the congrats from teammates were effusive. So if you need leaders he will seemingly do a job for you in that regard.

He was only ever on a six month deal and in many ways it worked for both sides...we got cover..he got fit, got game time and got a few goals and we were never going to give him a two year deal as that's not the model for us any more for players of his age.....so I hope with one obvious exception that he does the business for you....especially if it pulls Fleetwood back into the mix.

Houghton has been splendid for us....but was he yellow card prone when he was with you as he seems to pick them up regularly for us....

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on January 13, 2022, 11:58:22 am by normal rules »
What’s the beef with Fleetwood?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on January 13, 2022, 12:03:11 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I would say we need another five. That left back role needs filling with some experience, with Horton being able to act as back up, and he can learn from someone who has the experience, there is potential there.

The defensive midfielder role needs filling, the one mentioned in the rumour mill would fill that. A bit of power and know how if we got him.

I think personally an experienced central defender is needed, even when we have Tom Anderson back we are not keeping enough clean sheets.

A young player loan player or someone with a bit of energy and experience, for a provider of chances for the striker we’ve just signed.Again the rumour mill has that player in there who used to play for us.

A young loan striker out to prove something. See’s us as an opportunity to play and score goals. Or the recognised striker who used to play for us if we can do a deal on his wages.
If we fill those roles we can stay up.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on January 13, 2022, 02:42:59 pm by DearneValleyRover »

So Agard was signed as cover as we lost Niall Ennis in the warm up at the start of the season opener at Rotherham. Mainly a bench player for us, with very few minutes.....scored in his two Trophy games against the youth teams and then netted the winner in a. somewhat surprise start v Charlton just before Xmas. Good clam finish ( although he also missed an absolute sitter)

So he was never seen as a long term option for us , although Shumacher gave him a chance ...but suspect we might be aiming to sign Garrick permanently from the Swans if they will sell. One positive was all the feedback was he was a model pro and very good for dressing room morale...indeed when he scored the congrats from teammates were effusive. So if you need leaders he will seemingly do a job for you in that regard.

He was only ever on a six month deal and in many ways it worked for both sides...we got cover..he got fit, got game time and got a few goals and we were never going to give him a two year deal as that's not the model for us any more for players of his age.....so I hope with one obvious exception that he does the business for you....especially if it pulls Fleetwood back into the mix.

Houghton has been splendid for us....but was he yellow card prone when he was with you as he seems to pick them up regularly for us....

Thanks for taking the time to give us some insight. In respect to Houghton, yes he always looked likely to pick a card or 2 up, mind he is what we are missing.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on January 13, 2022, 08:24:08 pm by Jonathan »

Houghton is one of my favourite loan players that we’ve had. Was great for us over two years, really seemed to buy into the values of the club and I was gutted when we couldn’t agree a deal to sign him. We really miss a player like that nowadays. Positionally extremely smart, strong in the tackle, received the ball well and tended to retain possession with a decent passing range. I wouldn’t say he was a walking yellow card as such, but his lack of pace probably meant there were a few late challenges / tactical fouls.

Happy to hear he’s doing well.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on January 13, 2022, 08:42:09 pm by ravenrover »
It was his Mrs we couldn't agree a deal wiith, by all accounts she wanted to move back South

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on January 13, 2022, 09:12:32 pm by roversdude »
Houghton great player, brilliant clubman

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on January 13, 2022, 09:14:06 pm by Plumbster »
Was it Grimsby away when he was in the crowd with us

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on January 13, 2022, 10:12:33 pm by Janso »
Was it Grimsby away when he was in the crowd with us

Wycombe.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on January 13, 2022, 10:50:50 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
On the face of it, the signing of Agard appears to be a positive one and i'm really happy that the club and GM have managed to bring him in on an 18 month deal. If he stays fit then i can't see him being anything other than a success in League 2.

I say League 2 because, despite it being a new year and me trying to gradually become a more enlightened glass half full man, to think that we can survive this season given the points deficit and the  consistency in delivering toothless, sterile performances pretty much every week now, i can't believe in miracles.

Agard though is just the positive news that we need to start the new year. More please.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on January 14, 2022, 06:49:24 am by BigH »

Houghton is one of my favourite loan players that we’ve had. Was great for us over two years, really seemed to buy into the values of the club and I was gutted when we couldn’t agree a deal to sign him. We really miss a player like that nowadays. Positionally extremely smart, strong in the tackle, received the ball well and tended to retain possession with a decent passing range. I wouldn’t say he was a walking yellow card as such, but his lack of pace probably meant there were a few late challenges / tactical fouls.

Happy to hear he’s doing well.
Bang on, JH was great for us. Absolutely the type of player we've been missing this season and, arguably, a measure of how our recruitment standards have fallen in recent times.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on February 05, 2022, 07:23:10 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Bit concerned he's not being used of late. Can't grumble today but i think he's a very decent player and i'm surprised he's not getting any game time.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on February 05, 2022, 07:37:49 pm by Canadian Rover »
He's gonna be needed. He'll be good competition for the young lads and a good influence around the club too.

He's way better quality wise than Dodoo (especially as a CF) but we do have a squad now and Joe is a part of that too.

All hands on deck.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on February 09, 2022, 10:05:53 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Why did GM sign Agard on an 18 month contract? Baffling. Dangerous player with movement. Barely used now. Anyone know of any reasons given by GM?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on February 09, 2022, 10:13:51 am by GazLaz »
Why did GM sign Agard on an 18 month contract? Baffling. Dangerous player with movement. Barely used now. Anyone know of any reasons given by GM?

He’s only not featured in the last couple of games. Hardly proves it’s a terrible signing.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on February 09, 2022, 10:20:27 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »

He’s only not featured in the last couple of games. Hardly proves it’s a terrible signing.

He's not a terrible signing. He's a good signing. Which is why i'm asking why is he not being used? Especially when we need a goal against Ipswich and Barlow gets brought on? Don't get it. He should be starting ahead of Mipu IMO.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on February 09, 2022, 10:48:18 am by The Beast »

He's not a terrible signing. He's a good signing. Which is why i'm asking why is he not being used? Especially when we need a goal against Ipswich and Barlow gets brought on? Don't get it. He should be starting ahead of Mipu IMO.

Was puzzled/bemused by the Barlow substitution, Seaman was offering nothing was getting bullied, right move to bring him off but then we bring Barlow who offers zero in physicality and pace, the Ipswich left back was just ushering him off the ball like he was a ten year old kid, while we’ve got Agard and Dodoo sat on the bench! Strange one for me.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on February 09, 2022, 07:39:38 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Yep. No explanation given from the manager either.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on February 09, 2022, 08:07:56 pm by keith79 »
Probably not fit.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on February 09, 2022, 08:14:24 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
It's expected that Mibo will start every game he'll have conditions meaning that pretty much has to be the case in his loan. Would have expected to see Agard from the bench at least

TinyPortal © 2005-2012