Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:35:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: safe standing poll  (Read 5088 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: safe standing poll
« Reply #30 on October 21, 2011, 05:09:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I certainly agree it's about choice. What concerns me on both sides of the debate, are those who are campaigning for it on the basis that it would be cheaper, and in itself it would create an a better atmosphere. Those two things wouldn't happen automatically.

Those campaigning against it, thinking it will be a return to the 'bad old' days if the 60s/70s etc., perhaps don't understand what safe standing is all about.

I'm definitely campaigning for anything that enhances the fans match day experience, whether that be on price, entertainment, facilities, quality of food/drink or the choice of standing. Whether we get it at the Keepmoat is another matter.

Donnybob, join me and say YES to at least having a choice.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 21, 2011, 05:17:31 pm by Rovers Return »
Simple Scenario for you:

Cost at Peterborough for two adults and two kids to stand on a terrace £44.00
Pleasent suprise, talked to lots of people we knew in various parts of the terrace, sang and clapped with people who normally don't, jumped around like kids when we scored. Thoughts: enjoyed that, might do it again. Told other people about it.:)

Cost at Blackpool for the same foursome £80 ish. Ouch!!!
Nasty suprise, sat in a seat and froze to death, clapped a ccouple of times and sang a little. Sat back down almost immediatly after we scored as was blocking the view of a couple of elderly people who didn't jump up when we scored. Would I part with that amount of money every week for that experience? NO!! Would I have preferred to have stood? Yes just to keep bloody warm if nothing else and to keep some money in my wallet.

The point is:From somebody who got to see bugger all at lots of games in the 70' and 80's because I'm a short arse and would have loved to have been able to afford a seat.

I WANT THE CHOICE. :cry:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 21, 2011, 08:58:26 pm by silent majority »
You want the choice?? Next season is my prediction!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 21, 2011, 09:26:09 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
A big YES from me. Better atmosphere, more fun, a good old huddle with fellow fans, hugging people I've never met before when there's a goal, its what footy is about for me. Those that disagree can sit and just enjoy the better atmosphere. Win win. Cost is minimal if anything at all, and I'll guarantee it will attract some who don't currently come especially if some effort is put into creating some ultra type enclave. Anyway, how else we gonna squeeze em in when we get promoted? :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

viking87

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 21, 2011, 09:28:02 pm by viking87 »
Quote from: \"silent_majority\" post=193162
You want the choice?? Next season is my prediction!

That's the spirit!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 21, 2011, 09:32:50 pm by wilts rover »
Lots of different things all mixed up here but just to throw in my tuppenceworth:

if there was to be a standing area at the KM, would you be thrown out if you weren't singing? Just because there is a standing at a ground doesnt mean the atmosphere is good and people are singing, I remember many, many dull and quiet games at Belle Vue - even with big crowds. Yet The Den is always noisy - and that is all seater? As are Italian grounds?

There is no actual reason for a seat to cost more than a place on the terrace, particuarly if a ground is not full (as the KM has never been), its one person taking up one place, clubs charge more for seats - because they can and because we are daft enough to pay it.

Always stood on the Pop at BV but not sure I would at the KM, I like my seat and can see the game, but yes I would like the choice. Good luck with the campaign SM.

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 21, 2011, 10:00:08 pm by scaley back rover »
I would also like to back the standing campaign as i do miss standing whilst watching the rovers , as i feel that my matchday experience is not what it used to be back in the the days of belle vue (though before anyone says it the facilities at the KM are 10 times better than BV ). Having read a few comments in here I think choice is one of the keys to this having watched Armenia Bielefeld over here in Germany on many occasions it seems that the fans do have that choice. At Armenia the standing area is behind the goal at the opposite end from the away fans which eliminates anything spilling over and i must say the atmosphere is great and this is with a team who have suffered 2 relegations in 4 years and only last week picked up there first win of the season .

Another point raised on here is the price of going to the game well for an equivalent of a league one side it costs me 11 euros to stand behind the goal and this also includes my rail travel from gutersloh which is 12 kms away, which is an absolute bargain. Added to the fact i can have a beer or two whilst standing on the terrace enjoying a game of football with a traditional atmosphere .

In short for me the reason people have been turned off from watching games back home is price (far too expensive), Choice ( whether to sit or stand ) and also how fans are treated at certian times such as being able to buy a beer from the bar but heaven forbid you cross that yellow line (like it makes a difference) . I love coming home and watching the rovers but sometimes i would just like the choice and to be treated like the adult i am

viking87

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 21, 2011, 10:15:00 pm by viking87 »
Yes wilts its all coming out in the wash! :)

You have a good point, but there would be a lot of questions to be asked if a fan was chucked out for not singing, regardless of how they position themselves in a match. it would be a funny report to read!

As I said before its safe standing and cheering is another choice for an individual fan. For me I feel more comfortable to stand and cheer.

I don't know what to say about The Den or Italian Football, but I hope we can really get an atmosphere we can be renowned for!

RTID

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 22, 2011, 08:12:56 am by normal rules »
Peterborough manage to still have terracing without any problems and I dread to think how many Leeds take there when they play.  Hillsborough was a one off caused by a number of circumstances coming together one one day. The Taylor report was an over reaction. There are many grounds up and down the country with old fashioned terracing still and it doesnt cause a problem.

viking87

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 22, 2011, 07:19:29 pm by viking87 »
Silent majority, I'm bringing the subject back up again to ask what is the opinion of officials if you know?

Is it realistic for it to happen in the near future? Next season?

Can the fans be a catalyst for change?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 23, 2011, 11:23:11 am by silent majority »
Quote from: \"viking87\" post=193463
Silent majority, I'm bringing the subject back up again to ask what is the opinion of officials if you know?

Is it realistic for it to happen in the near future? Next season?

Can the fans be a catalyst for change?

I'll try and answer your questions.

1) Interesting question but I can't give you the full answer, needless to say things are happening. The 2nd reading of Don Fosters bill is due in a couple of weeks, although it may still not happen. All the authorities are busy collecting data as requested by the Sports Minister. The good thing is that the authorities are not against standing on safety grounds, they have finally admitted that there is no data to support their argument that standing is unsafe. In fact the considered opinion is that its safer to stand in a proper standing area than it is amongst seats for obvious reasons.

2) What is realistic is that you will see one or two grounds selected for a trial for maybe a full season. Once that happens though Stewards will give up trying to get people to sit and in a lot of grounds that's already happened.

3) Fans will make all the difference. The PL have argued for a long time that there is no demand for standing, but that's because they never ask the question!!What you need to do is 1) Join the FSF (its free) 2) Sign the Safe standing petition 3) Write to your local MP

http://www.fsf.org.uk/join.php

http://www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/safestanding.php?id=&page=sign

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 23, 2011, 02:39:36 pm by Standanista »
Yes.

viking87

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 23, 2011, 06:46:50 pm by viking87 »
Thanks silent majority,
Everything you have wrote has made perfect sense.

I've signed the petition and joined the fsf.

It would be great for all on the forum to sign the petition too, any ideas? Lol

Hag

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 23, 2011, 09:18:13 pm by Hag »
Signed

TinyPortal © 2005-2012