Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:48:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Three years ago  (Read 2382 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Three years ago
« on October 22, 2011, 07:39:15 pm by The Red Baron »
October 2008, and after 13 games we had 8 points and were 23rd. We stayed up that season.

Mind you, we had Sean O'Driscoll then. :chair:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wellred

• Forum Member
Re: Three years ago
« Reply #1 on October 22, 2011, 07:53:50 pm by Wellred »
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=193469
October 2008, and after 13 games we had 8 points and were 23rd. We stayed up that season.

3 weeks ago we were bottom of he championship having not won a game for 19 matches and no signs of where the next win was coming from.

Mind you we had Sean O'Driscoll then!

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 22, 2011, 07:59:34 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=193473

3 weeks ago we were bottom of he championship having not won a game for 19 matches and no signs of where the next win was coming from.

Mind you we had Sean O'Driscoll then!

No we have been world beaters all year and saunders and co have destroyed everything ....:lol:

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 22, 2011, 09:06:14 pm by Surrey Rover »

We also had Mills and Wellens, a rock at the back and a rock in midfield. We haven't got anything close to those two at the moment and there by lays the problem.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 22, 2011, 09:26:54 pm by wilts rover »
no comparison at all, that season we were loosing tight games, not taking chances and saying were missing a finisher (heffernan had an injury), it seemed only a slight improvement was needed to get us going, Heffs came in, we won at Forest, the rest is history
i defy anyone to say that only a slight change is needed to keep this team up!!! Since Saunnders came in after that game at Reading, we have got our 'best' two players back, brought in 2 PL players - and still looked hopeless for most of it

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 22, 2011, 09:43:46 pm by Barmby Rover »
Diarra coming to Rovers would make a difference, but I don't know who would make way for him. Maybe we have a world class midfielder coming, That would be Stock/Gillett/Copps replaced. Another big Centre half to replace whoever. It might work, as I have said in another thread, it depends how long this process takes and how far behind we get in the mean time.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 22, 2011, 09:44:07 pm by Chris Black come back »
My recollection of that season was that we were playing very well to a defined game plan and still losing (Birmingham away that season was a case in point). The difference now is that we are very rarely playing well and nobody seems to have a f**king clue what the team is meant to be doing.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 22, 2011, 09:50:24 pm by Mr1Croft »
That season there must have been 5 away games we walked out thinking \"yep, we deserved to lose\" QPR, Bristol City, Barnsley, Cardiff and Swansea. Even those games were \"if only that would of creeped in we might have got back into the game\"

Also when we were bottom, most knew we would make a fight if not stay up, only the true anti-SOD fans condemned to relegation, we also never had to make significant changes to personel. Oh and we never had someone who represents what ruined the game running the transfer policies either...

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 22, 2011, 09:54:25 pm by Chris Black come back »
Let's not forget that there were some players regularly in that side who on the face of it were very average but delivered for us: Gareth Taylor, Mark Wilson, James Chambers, John Spicer and Adam Lockwood all played regularly.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 22, 2011, 10:39:59 pm by StocksArmy »
3 years ago we had Richie Wellens and Matt Mills so take out Sam Hird and Oster and you have to hard working resiliant top quality championship players and we have never replaced them end of

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 22, 2011, 11:08:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
Oster is a quality baller but ain't now or ever going to be a ball winner. Needs someone else in midfield to do this.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 23, 2011, 12:25:22 am by RoversAlias »
What a terrible comparison. So many of our games that season were decided by the odd goal. Moments like Byfield running through the middle of the field and smacking it narrowly off target at Birmingham were happening time and time again and we were coming off as 1-0 losers or drawing. We had an excellent defence and Mills and Hird were gelling together excellently with assuring full-backs in Roberts and O'Connor alongside them. In a manner of speaking, not one of those four is at our disposal now. O'Connor is a shadow of his former self and Hird for me has never looked as assured as he did when he had Mills alongside him.

The only thing we missed was a goal scorer and when SOD finally gave Heffernan a shot we went something like 12 games unbeaten, winning nearly all of them to propel us way up the league.

The way we are going right now, can you really see us pulling off that kind of run or anything that is anywhere near close?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 23, 2011, 07:04:15 am by The Red Baron »
Quote from: \"RoversAlias\" post=193519
What a terrible comparison. So many of our games that season were decided by the odd goal. Moments like Byfield running through the middle of the field and smacking it narrowly off target at Birmingham were happening time and time again and we were coming off as 1-0 losers or drawing. We had an excellent defence and Mills and Hird were gelling together excellently with assuring full-backs in Roberts and O'Connor alongside them. In a manner of speaking, not one of those four is at our disposal now. O'Connor is a shadow of his former self and Hird for me has never looked as assured as he did when he had Mills alongside him.

The only thing we missed was a goal scorer and when SOD finally gave Heffernan a shot we went something like 12 games unbeaten, winning nearly all of them to propel us way up the league.

The way we are going right now, can you really see us pulling off that kind of run or anything that is anywhere near close?

Of course it wasn't a very apt comparison in terms of the squad, but I do think we threw away our best chance of pulling things round when we dispensed with O'Driscoll. We're going down and the only reason I'm willing to back McKay's little scheme is because I can't think of an alternative- other than throwing in the towel and gracefully accepting relegation.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 23, 2011, 07:07:19 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=193528

Of course it wasn't a very apt comparison in terms of the squad, but I do think we threw away our best chance of pulling things round when we dispensed with O'Driscoll. We're going down and the only reason I'm willing to back McKay's little scheme is because I can't think of an alternative- other than throwing in the towel and gracefully accepting relegation.

O'Driscoll couldn't cope any more. Thats why he went.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 23, 2011, 07:26:23 am by steve@dcfd »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=193530

You believe that because JR says so, well i am not one who believes every thing he says. He was relieved of his duties because the board made that decision,let's not elaborate when the total truth is not known. We do not know the other side of the story.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 23, 2011, 07:32:10 am by Jonathan »

That is rubbish.

You can point to results as much as you want, but that rumour that's been doing the rounds is rubbish.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 23, 2011, 07:59:17 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Jonathan\" post=193532

That is rubbish.

You can point to results as much as you want, but that rumour that's been doing the rounds is rubbish.

And you know it is rubbish how exactly?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 23, 2011, 08:21:57 am by Jonathan »
Quote from: \"Wellred\" post=193534

That is rubbish.

There's no point having this conversation, but idle gossip about people's state of mind is potentially damaging.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 23, 2011, 08:24:52 am by The Red Baron »
Quote from: \"steve@dcfd\" post=193531

You believe that because JR says so, well i am not one who believes every thing he says. He was relieved of his duties because the board made that decision,let's not elaborate when the total truth is not known. We do not know the other side of the story.

Quite right, Steve. Maybe he \"couldn't cope\" with the idea of McKay controlling who came in and out.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 23, 2011, 08:26:35 am by Chris Black come back »
What I want to know is which agent had Tomi Ameobi and Dennis Souza on their books?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 23, 2011, 08:50:59 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Jonathan\" post=193537

That is rubbish.

There's no point having this conversation, but idle gossip about people's state of mind is potentially damaging.

The gossip came from a meeting with the chairman of the club.
Are you suggesting he is lying?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 23, 2011, 09:14:01 am by Wellred »
Quote from: \"Jonathan\" post=193537

That is rubbish.

You are such a hypocrite. In your words. He's only the manager in title, he's not allowed to fully manage. McKay is the actual manager, Saunders just the peace keeper and public front.

That isn't potentially damaging to a new young Manager trying to make his way in the conference?

Double standards pal.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 23, 2011, 09:27:56 am by Jonathan »
You can have this conversation with yourself. I've said all I want to say on it and you can draw your conclusion on my view.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012